The Mysterious Murasame Castle Set For North American Début on 7th August

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

See the origin of that Nintendo Land mini-game

The Mysterious Murasame Castle is a Famicom Disk System game from 1986 that's only been known in the West through some cameo appearances and references — most recently through the Takamaru's Ninja Castle game in Nintendo Land. Having recently made its Western début on the European 3DS Virtual Console in late May, it's now coming to North America on 7th August.

Shown as part of a challenge section in the Nintendo Gaming Lounge live broadcast from San Diego Comic-Con, it could be an intriguing retro option. Described as "like a more linear, action-oriented version of the original The Legend of Zelda" in our review, our own Marcel van Duyn summarised as follows when awarding 8/10.

The Mysterious Murasame Castle is unlike any other Nintendo game of the time, with incredibly fast-paced gameplay and a high degree of difficulty which, thankfully, manages to feel completely fair. With all of the references the game has had in recent years, you're now finally able to see what the fuss is all about.

Are any of you in North America planning to pick this up on 7th August?

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip.

[via gonintendo.com]

Kirby-life

Kirby-life said:

Looks cool to me. I think I'll pick this up when it comes out here in North America.

Tops

Tops said:

Nice! I've been wanting to try this out since reading NL's review! Glad we're getting it.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

This game is fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiNNNNNNNAAAAAAAALLLLLYYYYY getting released, after so long.

Also, Takamaru for SSB4 :3

Joetherocker

Joetherocker said:

SSB4 lacks a random retro character like IC or Pit

This suddenly gets a worldwide release just before Smash comes out

Interesting...

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I've been interested in this game for a while. It looks like an interesting game in the vein of the original Zelda, only with a bunch more enemies and more weapons in Takamaru's disposal.

Also, I'm firmly one of the riders of the Takamaru for SSB4 bandwagon. After many years, this game finally releases in the West and just before Super Smash Bros. comes out. I don't think that's a coincidence. I personally believe Takamaru would be an excellent addition.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

about time it gets released here. Now only if NA could get caught up with everything else. Too bad it is for 3DS only. I probably won't get it now.

allav866

allav866 said:

I hope NoA will localize more Japan-exclusive games... (Mother 1 and 3, Parodius, Kirby Z games...)

swordx

swordx said:

Anyone else want a new Wii U game in this series? Nintendo Land advertised it a bit so it could sell well enough...

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I'd like to see them expand upon the minigame. Ninja star throwing was good but there was not enough levels and I would prefer each stage to be broken down for high scores rather than having to finish them all. If they could throw in some Swordplay and other origami Ninja activities it'd be a day one buy for me.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

It's nice to see that North Americans will finally get a chance to play this game, but I don't think I have much interest in it personally. I don't really play too many NES games.

Porky

Porky said:

So that's where one of the soundtracks in the Mario Bros. stage in Super Smash Brothers Brawl is from.. interesting.

Adam

Adam said:

Wow, I always assumed this was a light gun game, due to the Nintendo Land mini-game. But no, it's top-down Ninja Gaiden. This looks fantastic. Wish I knew if it'd be on Wii U eventually so I could hold off and get it there instead.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Dammit, why isn't Takamaru not in Super Smash Bros. 4 yet? Also this game needs a proper remake, same for The Adventure of Link, Metroid II, Crystalis, and Star Tropics.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

I'd probably check it out if it came to Wii U. I prefer to play that over my 3DS.. in fact I haven't been playing my 3DS at all recently and don't think I will until Fantasy Life comes out. Possibly Smash Bros, too.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

actually i feel sorry for everyone who hasnt played/owns getsu fuuma den for nes by konami instead

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

For those hoping it will come to Wii U, I wouldn't hold my breath. Summer Carnival '92 RECCA still hasn't come to Wii U, so I don't see this one coming to Wii U either.

Melkac

Melkac said:

But guys, Devil World is terribad.

Well, I can't wait for Mysterious Murasame Castle 2. I mean, come on: Japanese garden tech demo? Takamaru's Ninja Castle? Worldwide released of TMMC on the 3DS VC?
Hopefully it's not a 3DS game...

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

Ah Takamaru Ninja Castle, the only video game my old man has ever been able to engage in, even if for only a brief moment.

Remisio

Remisio said:

@Joetherocker It's what I've been saying! I think its a way to introduce the character so he's not so unfamiliar if he's announced! I NEED THE GAME!! I NEEEED EEET!!

Remisio

Remisio said:

Maybe this is a sign more Japan only games like the first 6 FE games get localized.

TheJudge

TheJudge said:

Reminds me a bit of the game Kung-Fu Heros that I used to play on my NES when I was a kid. That game was pretty rad.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@Melkac To be honest I'd actually like to see it be a 3DS game. 3DS might need it if it starts to suffer some droughts due to Nintendo focusing too much on Wii U. That being said, it might have more interesting things that can be done on Wii U with the GamePad.

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

Nice! Finally a new Japan-only VC game! Definitely going to get it, it looks nice, and old-school.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

It'd be cool if they made a reboot of this. As for now, I will happily add it to my collection.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

@ModestFan93 Well, I won't say I have no interest. I have a little bit, but I usually don't buy too many NES games. For some reason they can't hold my attention very much.

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

@Remisio As awesome as that would be, I wouldn't hold my breath. This game seems to have very little text in it. Where as Fire Emblem games are extremely text heavy. Still would be awesome though.

Remisio

Remisio said:

@Klunk23 I know. There's also the fact that Takamaru isn't being translated for localization. But there are many fan translations around that Nintendo could use. People say that's not likely either, I kind of agree, but it's not unprecedented: there have been companies that use fan translations, touch them up a bit, and then localize a game with it. But I admit it's still unlikely. Some games that are more likely though are FF 1-6 the real ones so we could get FF2, 3 and 5 because SE has translated them for... IOS... So might as well place them I the VC when their games eventually make it. (though most VC games as of late are Capcom and Konami)

JCnator

JCnator said:

Finally, I can now get to play this game without having to resort to my Japanese 3DS. Though, I'm not a big fan on how NES games are emulated on 3DS and would rather play this game on Wii U instead. Since the Japanese Wii U eShop recently got the same game, I can see it being released on ours sooner.

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

A Famicom game, you say? Something that's quite hard, you say?

Where are those eShop cards when I need them?

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@outburst Better than nothing :) At least hes part of the gameplay then.
And to be honest, he would have been another sword fighter who throws projectiles. So rather close to Robin there.

outburst

outburst said:

@Einherjar
Plus he just have a handful of games. It will be safer to make him just an assist trophy if they decide to make a new game for him. (More freedom and without interfering with his moveset in Smah if ever).

Silent

Silent said:

@DestinyMan "Pic of the day. I, Takamaru, have waited many years to appear in Super Smash Bros.! Link, Samus, Pit, and I debuted in the same year! Multidirectional Pinwheel Knife Rook Attack!! (FYI, I'm an Assist Trophy.)"

Trollolol sorry.

dquarius

dquarius said:

If im not mistaken there was a mode in samurai warriors 3 regarding to this game ,i'll get this game.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

I'm waiting to get my new Analogue NT in September & then get a famicom drive with this game, so I can try it out in its original form.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

@Silent: At least he's still in the games. Maybe this will increase his chances next time!

Oh, and I love that they modernized his classic look instead of just carried over the Dynasty Warriors look.

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

Hey that's pretty cool that he is an assist. The Smash series is about celebrating Nintendo's rich history. So I'm glad Takamaru gets some recognition.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

@dquarius My hopes were not only raised the same day, but were also crushed the same day as well. While he's not playable, being an assist is still good, maybe next time for the somewhat blue haired Samurai!