Ocarina of Time Joins Hyrule Warriors With Sheik, Darunia and Princess Ruto as Playable Characters

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Quite a cast

Just yesterday we reported on the news that a Goron was being teased as a new playable character in Hyrule Warriors. It seems that tease was just the beginning, as a preview from Famitsu on its latest issue is promising details on three new playable characters.

As expected, it's the turn of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time to make its appearance in the Warriors / Zelda collaboration. Three characters from the title will be playable; first up is Sheik, which is a variation of a pivotal character in the Nintendo 64 classic — it seems peculiar to be dodging certain spoilers on a retro game, but we will. Also confirmed are Darunia, the Goron leader from the title, and Princess Ruto of the Zora. The latter is likely to be the most intriguing in terms of her moveset, while the confirmation of Darunia is no surprise in light of various Goron NPCs being prominent in a widely-played preview build of the title.

The official website is yet to be updated with official screens and videos, as Famitsu is enjoying its advance exclusive. We'll bring those assets to you as they arrive, but are you excited about these additions as playable characters in Hyrule Warriors? Let us know.

[via siliconera.com, famitsu.com]

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I hope people begin to see why i love the folks at Koei so much :3
And i know of 3 people who already bought a WiiU just for this game already :D

Legodavid18

Legodavid18 said:

@Einherjar I bought the Wii U at launch for Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, does that count? :P
Anyhow, Ruto is one of my favourite characters from OoT, so now the wait for this game is even more unbearable!

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Hmm...a new model for the naked fish lady from Koei Tecmo, eh? Guehehe...

Sheik's new design is awesome, altho I think, that it'll be weird to see her together with a certain someone on the battlefield (seriously why are we avoiding spoilers here? xD)
Not too happy about Darunia..I hope that doesn't mean, that we won't get 1 or 2 of the actual good goron characters :/

EDIT: hmm..I take back what I said about Sheik. Forgot the whole alternate dimensions thing for a moment, so it'd actually make sense

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I have been waiting for Darunia since the game was first announced! Can't wait to put some fists of stone on them enemy hordes.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

So Zelda is pulling double duty on this one? What if they are both on the same screen at the same time lol.

Well I guess they're 2 different ones anyways! :P

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Tell me someone else has noticed the lack of male characters?! I'm so glad Darunia has been confirmed, I was starting to worry that my parents would get concerned hearing constant female giggling and grunting from my room xD

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

It would be cool if every sage from OoT was in the game. I suppose this game's Impa is not the OoT Impa, but still, we could have Nabooru, Saria and Rauru. Though Rauru doesn't really even do anything, so maybe not him.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm beginning to think I need to play OoT ;-) Maybe it will be the Wii U's first Gamecube VC :-)

When I click on the photo when the magnifiying glass is over it the picture pops out but it is THE EXACT SAME SIZE. Does it actually get bigger for anybody else?

Yeah, this ones not going to make it under the Christmas tree.

LexKitteh

LexKitteh said:

I would have rather had Darmani and Mikau from Majora's Mask. but this works. Also, I hope Impa gets a DLC or costume to look like the Sage of Shadows Impa from OoT.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Great choices; I've actually played Ocarina of Time (the 3D version) so I could get a sense how these characters would fight, such as Darunia rolling into enemies and maybe using the Megaton Hammer. I think Nabooru would've been interesting as well, but I hope to see more male characters confirmed, and I wouldn't be worried about the roster being dominated by females.

I hope this game turns out well. It definitely looks and sounds good on video and paper, but reviews are where the final decision will come for me.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

Woohoo! Sheik!!! I was a little afraid *** Spoilers*** that incarnation of Princess Zelda wasn't going to be playable in the game.

Tops

Tops said:

Cool character choices. I can't wait for some official screens and trailers!

clvr

clvr said:

I'm a big Zelda fan but I've never really been that interested in this spin-off, but I guess some cool characters could make me buy it...I was thinking of Mikau (whom I loved back then but I don't think will make it to the final game), Link's alternate forms (Deku, Goron, Zora and of course Oni Link), Skull Kid and Tingle (my hero :D). Oh and I guess the mask merchant would be weird and cool at the same time

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Ruto? Just... why? No less absurd than Agitha, and maybe they're going for as many playable ladies as possible, but why not Din, Nayru and Farore? Not even in their goddess forms; I mean the Oracles. I'll bet the goddesses will have some role to play in the story, which is probably why we won't see them as playable characters.

I've never liked Ruto, myself, though I must admit, it should be fun to watch the fishy lass in action.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Legodavid18 Well, i dont know if it counts, but it definitly puts you in my top 5 awesome people list on here :D
I would have gotte a WiiU anyways, but Orochi 3 Hyper was a BIG factor for it, and in fact my first WiiU game ever (if you dont count the bundled ZombiU)

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

I get that this series is known to have the playable characters vastly female. But I was hoping for the rumored Goron. I want to roll over hordes of fools! Also, make Beedle playable! He can use his inventory as a projectile attack.

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

@Genesaur Fi using the Goddesses powers might knock them outta importance. Buuuut if that use their Oracle series designs and powers just maybe.

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

The number of playable characters is becoming quite crazy. It remains to be seen how different and balanced they play, but it's certainly a great fan service. Moreover, as even such fairly minor characters will be playable, I'm sure that some of the bad guys will turn up as bonus characters as well, Ganondorf first of all, perhaps even in different forms.
Now I'm wonderfing if some side characters from older 2D Zeldas may be playable too.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

@Einherjar Tecmo Koei has one of my favorite franchises of all time, that being Monster Rancher. It's too bad they've let it die. I think if they ever did another Pokemon collaboration with Nintendo they need a Pokemon Rancher. If you've played that series you'd know it would be a good fit. It'd be perfect as a new "Pokemon Stadium" type game.

Cinaclov

Cinaclov said:

I don't know if it's worth avoiding the spoilers for Sheik, Smash Bros Melee and Brawl ruin it as a matter of course. One of my old housemates was playing through OoT on my old Gamecube, got stuck at the Water Temple for a while (as you do) and said he was only keeping going through it for the plot and to say he'd finished it. Melee removed what was pretty much the only big twist, and he never bothered to complete it.

KeithTheGeek

KeithTheGeek said:

I wonder if the remainder of the Ocarina of Time sages will end up playable? We now have 3 of them, 4 counting this version of Impa as a sage...

On my end, I still hope Groose ends up playable. I'd also hope they dip into Wind Waker some more beyond just the titular item as a weapon for Zelda. Perhaps we could see the Hyrule King as a character? Maybe he fights by turning into a boat! XD

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Ruto makes sense. She's the most well-known Zora out there, was pro-active in trying to save her people, and helps round out the Hyrule races. I approve!

Now I want to see Ashei, Nabooru, and maybe Tetra.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Spuratis Well, i have to be honest, im not that keen on Monster Rancher myself, mainly because i cant stand these tamagotchi type breeding games myself. Its just not my cup of tea. But that doesnt mean its bad. And pokemon rancher has so much potential really :) Pokemonami meets semi real time tournaments.
And if you want to go full crazy on this concept: Instead of disc switching, why not make Amiibo blindbags. Doesnt have to be full fledged figurines, coind would do as well. Put the coin on the 3DS amiibo stand and poof out comes your mon.

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

Ruto's power will be sitting and waiting for Link to carry her... Annoying little €?&?%>##$$£¥%#

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Porky - "OoT is on the N64 you can already download it in wii mode."

Well I could, and I would, if Nintendo would let me use some of my 32GD Wii U storage for the Wii, b/c as of right now my kids are playing a bunch of Wiiware games in Wii mode and they want more of the ones we've purchased over the years but there aren't enough "blocks" to DL any more.

So I'll just wait for a proper Wii U VC version. And a VC Gamecube version w/ Master Quest would be even better.

Thanks for the info though.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I just said yesterday that a goron is fine to even out the playable species buy now we get a Goron and a Zora. If they can they need a Gerudo we are all set

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

@Einherjar You know, I didn't even have the disc thing in mind when I thought of Pokemon Rancher, but the amiibos would be the perfect thing to take the place of CD's. They could make a lot of money even if it was selling some kind of coins, like you said. I never really thought of Monster Rancher as a Tamagotchi type of thing, but I suppose that's pretty accurate. My initial thought was it would just be cool to raise a Pokemon and train them in their various stats by doing the training sessions ala Monster Hunter and then taking them to explore ruins/caves/etc from previous Pokemon games that we'd be familiar with. When you're not doing that, you could attend the stadium tournaments, even online tournaments could be possible. A lot of people seem to want another Pokemon Stadium game but honestly I think those games lack depth, incorporating something like the Monster Rancher mechanics they could really have something.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@vamkar Nice one! :D

Welcome Sheik, I've said this since BEFORE Hyrule Warriors: Sheik should be a playable character in a (Metal Gear Rising) type of game. That same week Hyrule Warriors was announced. I just knew Sheik would be in it sooner or later. I already love this game since before it was announced, and the hype is only growing stronger.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Did they confirm Hyrule Warriors will use Amiibo later this year/early 2015?
I can't remember if it was on that list with MK8, Captain Toad, Smash etc.
I would love to have HW characters as figurines! They should make one of the Great Fairy with the moon from Majora :P I hope they'll make big figurines/set pieces along the normal ones. Or just to house some of the characters. omg that would make me so happy!!

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

Wow awesome i love all these characters,can't wait for this game to come out.The hype is real!!

Maggots

Maggots said:

There's a seriousl lack of majora's mask characters here....
let me help
Skull KId, Fierce diety link, and the MOON should all be playable characters. ... and if the moon isn't playable then skull kid should call upon it to destroy people!!

Henmii

Henmii said:

Ah yesss Darunia!

So now we have Link, Zelda, Sheik, Impa, Agitha, Lana, Fi, Midna, Darunia, and Ruto. That makes 10 characters already!

Here are some of my suggestions: Malon, Talon, Ingo, Happy mask man, Music-box man (forgot his name), Running man, Saria, Dampe, Linebeck, Birne.

I could also have mentioned some villains, but from the sound of it those won't be playable.

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

I have quite a few friends that are super excited for this game. It seems to me that they're taking very good care of LoZ fans with this one.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Spuratis
I never did either, until I compared it to Digimon World, which was based off Tamagotchi-type toys itself.

A Monster Rancher style Pokemon spin-off would be an interesting idea, the problem though is creating monsters from discs and the breeding/combining aspect was a huge selling point of the series. They tried the figurine route with Rumble U, and Mystery Dungeon has dungeon-crawling covered. I doubt people would tolerate having to buy psuedo-random coins to generate monsters, and it would ruin the magic of 'unlocking' whats inside.

Personally, I'd rather just have a new Monster Rancher, maybe even make a new anime to go along with it. The series is obscure enough to feel 'new' to a lot of people, especially kids.

LordLink

LordLink said:

I don't know about those characters, but would it be nice if majora's mask characters like the skull kid and young link be in the game? If you agree leave a comment below.

GiankyInHyrule

GiankyInHyrule said:

Cool! ^-^ I'd love to see them playing. I really want to see:
-Saria
-Nabooru
-Rauru
-Medli (It would be cool to see her in a human-style)
-Kafei
-*Any deku rep (a male character please)