There's No Chance of Super NES Mortal Kombat Titles Coming to the Wii U Virtual Console

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Darn

Update:

Ed Boon has posted a couple of follow-up tweets in relation to Super NES Mortal Kombat titles on the Wii U Virtual Console. In the context of his messages we don't think these change anything, but they're below so that you can decide for yourselves.

Original Article:

The Wii Virtual Console is, looking back at it now, a seriously impressive collection of classic games. Despite this a mix of issues did hold some particular titles back from the service, often attributable to problems with licensing or even trouble porting games that made use of external cartridge processor such as the Super FX chip. The Mortal Kombat trilogy didn't make it either, in its Genesis / Mega Drive or Super NES form; it looks like we shouldn't hold our breath for that to change with the Wii U's VC.

Ed Boon, co-creator of Mortal Kombat, has stated on Twitter that there's no chance of the Super NES versions coming to the Wii U's eShop platform, while the absence of the 16-bit Sega console on the service and the precedent of the Wii service suggest that the originals, as a whole, can be ruled out.

It's perhaps no surprise that this is the case, and it should be noted that with these titles the Genesis / Mega Drive version were the stronger options, but it's nevertheless disappointing news for fans of these fighting classics.

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip

[via gonintendo.com]

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

That's a real shame. Back in 2006, just before the release of the Wii, it was hyped and mentioned on the internet that they would be bringing classic Mortal Kombat games to the Vc. Oh well, glad I still have my carts....

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

No way were the Sega versions of MK stronger than the SNES versions! If thats what you were implying lol if not disregard!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

They should just put - Mortal Kombat / Mortal Kombat 2 / Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - Arcade versions onto the Wii U VC Arcade.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

MK has not aged as well as street fighter, they could work out the licensing issues if there were enough money to be made but probably the incentive is not enough for them to work them out

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

Ed Boon said there was a story behind not bringing the games to the Virtual Console that he'd love to share one day. He also made the point that the SNES version didn't play as well as its Mega Drive counterpart, as one of the reasons for Mortal Kombat remaining absent from VC.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Meh.....never liked them. I never really liked beat'em ups but played allot of street fighter 2 turbo and killer instinct gold and I have one of those on Wii u .....the other we'll never see =(

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

@kereke12 Right, because Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge was wholly disapproved by Nintendo, and of course they'd want nothing to do with Bayonetta 2 for similar reasons.

Oh, wait...

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I don't think Mortal Kombat was ever very good. Pre-teen me would rejoice at decapitating foes and burning them alive, but in truth the gameplay was extremely stiff and controls were far from intuitive.

I do wonder what's the deal with a 0.0% chance either way.

rtr0GMR1

rtr0GMR1 said:

I never understood the appeal of MK. A cookie-cutter fighting game with tons of unnecessary blood. Still a shame that the fans of the game won't be able to play on the VC.

TheLohoped

TheLohoped said:

I think they would prefer to release Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection with the original versions of the games rather than inferior console ports.

improviser

improviser said:

The MK guys aren't making me to happy these days. First they skip us on the DLC for Injustice, and now this.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@OorWullie Probably depends on the marketshare of the Wii U when the Midway Collection is rereleased. (Not that it is much better than it was on the Gamecube originally and Paperboy is not on it).

@TheLohoped That collection is really buggy at least the version I have.

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

Ehh... not really big on Mortal Kombat. I'm a Tekken player myself, but I can settle for Street Fighter on VC anyway.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

WB have been good with the Wii U, releasing all LEGO games, so I wouldn't be totally surprised if something made it to the Wii U.

johndevine

johndevine said:

The fact that the games are doggeypoop hasnt been given enough coverage in this article.

Osyrhia

Osyrhia said:

Meh, already played them to death (hehe) so I don't mind. Its a pity the Wii U VC doesn't have much consoles on offer like with the Wii. Would love to play Rondo of Blood again.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

If you don't factor in the finishers I liked the SNES version of one better. Never played 2 on Sega.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Ninhau The first MK was censored, not the ones afterwards.

To be honest I got all 3 on both systems. I can tell you that the SNES version was far superior. Sure on the first MK it was uncensored and the music was better, but the SNES version played and looked closer to the arcade original versus the Genesis. So only the first MK can be arguably better on Genesis. However, the MK's after that was DEFINITELY better on SNES. No question, hands down!

Shy_Guy

Shy_Guy said:

I don't think the SNES version would ever come to the VC,as long Nintendo keeps its "family friendly" theme,I don't see it coming or the others later on..

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I've pretty much read the same thing about MK being worse on SNES than on Genesis on every article about this The first MK was censored on the SNES and MK2 was not censored on SNES. MK2 on SNES ran smoother, crisper and with better sound than MK2 on Mega Drive. Anyone who says otherwise must have never played them.

As to those who think that MK is not on VC because of violence, you're stupid. There are loads of equally violent games on VC.

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

Oh well, that's a real shame.

I can you guys don't know your game history.

Mortal Kombat was created by 4 guys at Midway. Over the years, they made a lot of MK on Nintendo systems.

Then in the year... 2008... I forgot. Midway got bankrupt, forcing them to sell their IPs. The Mortal Kombat IP was sold to Warner Bros. Interactive.

So it's up to Warner Bros. to bring the classic MK games.

DAMN YOU WARNER BROS.!!

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

I actually preferred the SNES version as a kid. Sure the colour of the blood had changed and the finishing moves were altered but the graphics, sound and control were far better as far as my memory serves.

Action51

Action51 said:

Real Talk:

Putting nostalgia aside, those Mortal Kombat games suck.

They haven't aged well. and the digitized photos just look terrible now that the novelty of photo-realistic looking graphics is no longer anything special.

Beyond the look of the game, Mortal Kombat has some of the worst game play and stiff, clunky, controls. Anyone who remembers Mortal Kombat fondly is remembering the "controversy" and novelty of the blood and cartoonish violence.

Good riddance to the most over-hyped, and functionally terrible fighting games of the 16 bit era. Go play Street Fighter 2, Samurai Showdown, King of Fighters, or Killer Instinct if you want to play a fighting game from that era that isn't complete rubbish.

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

I still remember ABACABB, for that reason alone makes the MD version better IMO

millarrp

millarrp said:

I never got into the MK series but it's too bad it's not coming out. Variety is aways a good thing.

Zobocop

Zobocop said:

I'd like to point out that if there were any reason to think the Mortal Kombat games were better on the Genesis it was for the blood missing in the SNES version of "only" the first game. Aside from that, all SNES MK games looked, played, and sounded significantly better.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

Ok, fine, but what about N64 games...why are these still absent? How about GCN games? I'm sure super Mario Sunshine would look awesome on the Wii U.

64supermario

64supermario said:

@Shy_Guy Why? The SNES versions don't even have blood, also we have ZombiU and got Splatterhouse (Freaking Splatterhouse) on the Wii VC.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@kereke12 I take it you've never played Mad World, and Ninja Gaiden 3.

I bought MK on 360 because of the arcade stick that came with it. The only way to truly experience MK. ;-)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Swiket The American part did (Niaclis is anti Europe). If it was released in Japan (Published by somebody there) then Europe might get it. (Like Devil World).

micronean

micronean said:

The SNES Version of mortal kombat was better. It's just that it didn't have blood or gory finishers. Though, it can be argued that was 90% of the first game anyway.

Whatever the case, it really bugs me that all these decisions are based only on politics.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Bugs me that in this day and age anything other than the Arcade versions of these games would ever be considered.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

The SNES port of the original game was butchered anyway, not something I'd want to go back to. Mortal Kombat 2 was always a good game but I absolutely hated Mortal Kombat 3 with it's horrific 'dial-a-combo' system, way too many finishing moves (the 'Animalities' were definitely jumping the shark as far as I was concerned) and very uneven AI difficulty even on the easy settings. The newer reboot (that came out on Xbox 360/PS3/Vita) is also much, much better than the original games anyway so might as well just stick with that. Plus, Wii U does have 'Injustice: Gods Amongst Us' from the same developers.

Seanmyster6

Seanmyster6 said:

Good riddance! Mortal Kombat didn't get good until the PS2 games, anyway. (ironically, the ones that series fans hate the most)

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

Why why why why WHY! SO. DUMB. GOD I HATE WBI lol. OF COURSE, they won't give us any of their good games. No Arkham Knight, no Mortal Kombat, no Primal Rage, short-changed DLC? For a second i thought "well they won't give us a new version of MK, they'll probably at LEAST let us have the old ones on VC" but NOPE. Starting to think I should just stop supporting them.

MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi said:

@Seanmyster6

You said it. All that button mashing made beating the AI enemies horrendously cheap... except when they were doing the same exact thing and kicking your ass. Sadly, that's what all the "challenge" in many fighting games boils down to. I'd rather stick with Smash Bros.

sdelfin

sdelfin said:

@rtr0GMR1 it sounds like you understand the appeal just fine. A lot of the game's popularity was the unnecessary gore plus the presentation such as the large, digitized sprites and tons of voice samples. Those things were pretty novel in 1992. Most games that depend on technical things and gimmicks don't age so well, though. It may be cookie-cutter now, but at the time it stood out. At least they didn't try to be like Street Fighter.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

@Action51

Mortal Kombat one was garbage. MK 2 is still one of the best fighters from that generation. 3 was trash. Most of the 3D ones were bad but some were good and 2 were above average.

The reboot is awesome.

Kirk

Kirk said:

The Wii Virtual Console was pretty good but didn't really reach anywhere near it's true full potential.

The Wii U Virtual Console is just a bit of a joke right now.

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

Pity, it was heaps better than Street Fighter. Still not the best fighting game around though

mipaol

mipaol said:

Maybe the Wii U will get the next Mortal Kombat game (or a port of the last one that would be nice) and the classic series (modified arcade ports ideally) could be included as unlockables.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@kereke12

Lol it was on the Super Nintendo. Nintendo already allowed the game on their system. Heck, look at Manhunt 2 on the Wii. That's a bloody, gory game, even for AAA 3rd party standards. Or even look at Bayonetta 2.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Considering the Mortal Kombat: Arcade Kollection sucks on last gen consoles (both in gameplay and sales), I don't think Ed Boon would ever want to release any of the old inferior versions of their games for Wii U.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Do they actually have games this violent on the VC? I can't think of any off the top of my head, and MK is the game that sparked the creation of the ESRB. Even Zombies Ate my Neighbors only had blood on the game over screen.

Just because they allow current-gen games that are violent doesn't mean that automatically applies to the VC. Same goes for what was allowed on past consoles, especially considering how weird Nintendo was about it.

PachterStation

PachterStation said:

The first Mortal Kombat, the best version was on the SEGA Mega CD. Most old games look and play that crap, I wouldn't bother.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Back in the day I all most completed Mortal Kombat I think I got to the last boss, only to be defeated and Game Over. By the time I tried to go replay it the game had to go back to the video shop. I can't remember what format I played it on either Mega drive or the SNES, I think it's a real pity that it won't appear on the VC as it was a great game, maybe a bit easier than Street Fighter? if it did get a release it would be the Snes version as Nintendo changed the color of blood to black because of the violence!! Good days and happy memories.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

If it did come out for the wiiu console then i would have bought cause i have not played a Mortal Kombat game for a very long time.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

I've played the SNES and Genesis version of Mortal Kombat several times back when they were initially released. The SNES version was the one that came closest to the arcade when it comes to graphics, sounds and stage music. The Genesis version featured different stage music, the graphics were pretty muddy but had similar sounds compared to the arcade game. Both versions had stiff controls when it came to pulling off the moves but the ONLY reason the Genesis version was the most popular one was because of the infamous cheat code that unlocked the "real" fatalities for each character, which was animated poorly.

Thankfully, Nintendo got the uncensored version for Mortal Kombat II to level the playing field against the Genesis version of MKII.

LJay

LJay said:

Good!-MK was garbage when it was brand new-never mind now!,and next to Street Fighter it just looked cheap n nasty.
Virtua Fighter 2 ftw-bring us that instead!

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

So what's keeping the Genesis version from coming once we eventually get support for the console?

DiscoDriver43

DiscoDriver43 said:

Ah it really isn't that big of a deal. Besides, Mortal Kombat 9 seems to be far superior to all the rest of the Mortal Kombat games put together.

Speaking of Mortal Kombat 9, why hasn't any fighter besides Injustice try at their story?

SneakyStyle

SneakyStyle said:

Ah well, Street Fighter II is 5000% better then mortal kombat anyways. So he can do w/e he wants with his crap.

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

Yeah I was thinking I'd rather see the genesis ports on there than the inferior snes ports with removed blood...

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

It may have to do with Acclaim owning the rights to the first two and Williams/Midway/WB owning the rights to part 3.

And then the company that picked up the scraps of Acclaim, Throwback Entertainment seems more focused on mobile.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Acclaim only published the first two games as on home consoles as far as I know. Midway/Williams developed them.

ted-k

ted-k said:

I'm glad I'm not alone in my extreme dislike of those games. The gore was ridiculous, cheap sensationalism and the gameplay and controls were awful.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

@ted-k

The problem with those games is that once the series got to the third entry, everything got a bit silly. Characters looks too much a like, some are simply carbon copy with a minor palette swap, fatalities, combos and even special moves were share between characters, opponent doesn't fall when decapitated, blood looks like ketchup, some fatalities were censored even in the arcade, etc. Also the AI remains cheap as always since MKII. Unless you had a bunch of friends to beat the crap out of or cheat the game, single player mode in any of the Mortal Kombat game just isn't fun whether the arcade, Sega Genesis, or Super NES versions. Also since Ed Boon refuse to support VC, this is indeed another opportunity gone to waste as there are many exclusive features found in those home versions which were never in the arcade games (ex: playable Rain and Noob Saibot, unlockable boss characters, hidden Endurance Mode, Pong mini-game, Fergality, fight Silver Goro, unlock the hidden portal stage, easy finishers, brutalities, glitch Sheeva, secret Friendship, Sub-Zero's MK1 Deep Freeze fatality, etc.).

WarriorOfDestiny

WarriorOfDestiny said:

Pity that the games are not being released to the Wii's Virtual Console. I was so looking forward in kicking my best friend's butt again.