Amazon Comes in Low With Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle Price, Awesome GamePad Skins on the Way

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Nintendo UK store has impressive Mario Kart 8 bundles, too

You may have already seen the news that Nintendo of Europe has confirmed the Mario Kart 8 Premium Pack – Special Edition Wii U Hardware Bundle for the region, and we expect that a North American announcement is just a matter of time. As anticipated it's a 32GB system with a disc copy of the game, and the standard retail price will be £249.99.

That won't stop retailers battling it out for your money, however, and Amazon UK has listed the system for £220.00, at the time of writing, which is a fairly tasty price for the bundle.

Elsewhere, meanwhile, the Nintendo UK store is listing awesome GamePad covers for pre-order at £17.99. These are the same Mario and Luigi-themed covers we previously reported that Hori was bringing to Japan.

It seems the Hori Mario and Luigi Wii Wheels will come to the West too, as Nintendo UK's store also includes some impressive bundles that will include a wheel, GamePad cover, Wii Remote Plus, Hat and Mario Kart 8 Strategy Guide with the console bundle — there are Mario and Luigi versions, including the relevant Remotes, covers and hats. These are priced at £299.99, which seems reasonable considering all of the extras.

Are you excited about the GamePad covers, below, and do these bundles or prices call out to your wallet?

[via store.nintendo.co.uk, amazon.co.uk]

Artwark

Artwark said:

It just keeps getting better and better!!!!!!!! Wish this shows up in US!!!!!!!! :D

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Nintendo UK store OP, please nerf.

DAYUM o.O
That bundle with the wheel, hat etc looks awesome. Wish we had a Nintendo online store for the rest of Europe :/
I already own a Wii U, but..I'd buy that bundle just for the extras lol

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

I think $199.99 U.S with a free game is the price people would be willing to buy a Wii U for

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

Gamepad covers aren't so great. Too basic looking and the copyright info is printed tackily on the front.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I can do without the Mario Kart 8 Wii U GamePad skin covers. Just give me the game with a copy of PRIMA's Mario Kart 8 Guide for after I'm done with all the CCs , and I'm ready to go.

outburst

outburst said:

Omfg I want that Luigi wheel and hat for my kid!
Edit: also want the Mario wheel for me. xxD

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I could see WiiU cracking 100k sales in May thanks to this...

This is good for the people that don't own a WiiU yet. I know Mario Kart will provide some boost, but after all the other 1st party games didn't help, I am starting to doubt this will either.

Now if Nintendo actually started running commercials all through May promoting this bundle, then I'll change my tune. They need to make people aware that at long last, the console sequel to Wii was actually released... about 18 months after it was actually released.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I still don't get the covers on white Gamepads when the bundle comes w/ black, but these bundles are nice. But who needs a game guide for a kart racer? Going to get lost going around the oval track ;-)

rjejr

rjejr said:

@XCWarrior - "They need to make people aware that at long last, the console sequel to WiiU was actually released... about 18 months after it was actually released."

That's what I was saying at Christmas when SM3DW, Zelda WW HD, Wii Fit U and Sports Club came out, only replacing the 18 w/ 12. I do think Wii U had a bit of a holiday boost, but PS4 and X1 sales were drowning out what little marketing there was. May is all theirs so yeah, they need to make the most of it. (Edit: oops, forgot about Watch_Dogs May 27, Ubi will be pushing that hard, Nintendo better do something to get this advertised. On the brifgth side Gamestop is literally covered in MK8 posters already, no sign of W_D.)

As for 100k in May, the game comes out Friday May 30th so only 2 days in May. I can imagine in the US this game and system selling big Sunday June 1st but who knows how the companies that chart these things work; weekly in Japan, monthly in US, cut offs could make this look like a June release anyway. But hopefuly at least 100k Wii U boost in there somewhere. The game needs to sell more than that this summer.

MAB

MAB said:

Do we really need guides for games these days.

MAB's guide for every game last gen and beyond...

Watch cutscenes → press buttons → autosave → follow linear path to the way point → autosave → watch extra long cutscenes → press buttons → autosave → repeat process a few times → finish game within 6 - 10 hours ;)

RennanNT

RennanNT said:

@rjejr The covers are not part of the original bundle. Amazon is just selling a kit with accessories besides the bundle, and the cover was originally advertised with an white gamepad (its likely they will add new photos later, unless it doesn't look as good on a black one).

Stu13

Stu13 said:

I need a nice skin for my gamepad. I bought one of the one piece Nintendo silicon dealies and had to take it back because it was so loose that it made d-pad useless.

millarrp

millarrp said:

I would pass on the bundle but would definitely be interested in the Mario and Luigi Wii wheels

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

holy crap that 299 bundle with all the stuff in it is just pure spectacular!!
PS. I WANT THAT GAMEPAD SKIN!! :D

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@ferthepoet And I'm sure more people would buy it for $1, but Nintendo need to set a price at which they aren't losing loads of money the price you are suggesting is far to low $300 for a bundle is reasonable.

Shy_Guy

Shy_Guy said:

I want that Luigi wheel,cover skin,and that hat! NoA you better get this!

Tlink7

Tlink7 said:

Thank God the box is blue instead of that possible red one we saw a while back...

siavm

siavm said:

Weird to see amazon and wii u in the same article. Here in the US they only sell wii u's through third party sellers. That and the 3ds. Really weird nintendo still has not came to some kind of agreement with them. I just know this also a little reason why it has not been selling well in the US. Knowing that they had a million ps4's at holiday time and now selling it at 7 million now means nintendo of America needs to have this system sold directly again. If not ps4 recommendations for things will just keep creeping in nintendo game selections on the site.

retro72

retro72 said:

Just pre-ordered from Amazon UK £220 (max. price)
Black 32GB console etc. with game.

Whatever the future holds for the Wii U...

COUNT ME IN to the Wii U family :-D :-D :-D

Frapp

Frapp said:

I don't understand why Nintendo don't launch hardware with special editions like this. It would surely help shift a lot more numbers and build a better initial install base, thereby increasing third-party confidence in the product.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

This is absolutely awesome.

But where are the deals for NA? I would love the digital deal with Super Mario Kart that EU and AUS are getting...
Or some kind of limited boxed edition.

Kirk

Kirk said:

That's a pretty cool looking bundle, apart from the terrible looking skin job on the GamePad.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

I already have the Wind Waker HD special edition Gamepad. I would not want to desecrate it with these skins. ;-)

Savino

Savino said:

@Jazzer94 I guess it is not about price anymore. With the amount of xboxes and ps4 already sold people will start to buy what their friends bought! It is a multiplayer trend and even single players game are moving towards this direction, like Watch Dogs!

WiiU simply doesnt follow this trend! It have a so so multiplayer that is way better than anything that nintendo made so fat but yet, isnt good enough for 2014!
What nintendo must do now is keep the console fresh for those who already buy it and charming enough to sell it to some fans that still arent sure! There's nothing at this point that could make wiiu better than the gamecube!

Sight! Even the dreamcast numbers looks better! (If you consider that market size of that time)

retro72

retro72 said:

Amazon UK has increased price from £220 to £249.99 !?!?!
Does this mean they've had loads of pre-orders today ?

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Aaaand Amazon UK's price is back up to £249.99. That didn't last long.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

That is SWEET! I have a blue skin on my gamepad already, just like that except no Mario Kart logo. I have the Luigi hat also, from Nintendo Best Buy event (Also got my son a smaller one from party store)... but still, AWESOME BUNDLE!

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

Apparently the year of Luigi isn't over judging by the picture. Looks awesome!😵

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@MAB Those things don't deserve to be called games its basically impossible to fail at them. Best games a guide makes no difference the hard part is doing it not knowing what to do.

@Savino Well Rocksteady has decided they are definitely not putting Multiplayer in Arkham Knight. (Origins had it so its not everybody doing that).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@siavm Nintendo cannot do the price fixing RRP thing that they do in the USA in the EU because of a massive fine they got. (I suppose they could but the next time it would be even bigger.)

Amazon doesn't keep tons of stock and if they have too much they reduce the price Nintendo doesn't like that in the US. (Cannot do anything about it in the EU).

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I'd buy the bundle and extras (except skins) if I didn't already have a Wii U.

@WiiULoveGBA

Especially at £17.99, that's just ridiculous!

Action51

Action51 said:

Niceeeeeeeee!

haha, I usually don't go for gimmicky accessories, but those gamepad skins look kinda sweet.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

TT_TT I might have to import a second copy of the game just to get some of the swag everyone else in the world is getting.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

I have to say that set looks appealing as hell. they should have released a peach version as well.

rmeyer

rmeyer said:

The price needs to be reasonable. I think 199.99 would shoot Nintendo to the top for Wii U. Keep it at that number for 4 years and you're good

Darkness3131

Darkness3131 said:

This comes with a physical copy but my Zelda WiiU didn't? I actually went out and bought a physical copy just so i have it....

Looks nice though.

zool

zool said:

Quote:These are priced at £299.99, which seems reasonable considering all of the extras???
Will gamers really sit playing Mario kart 8 with the wheel and wearing a hat while looking at a Strategy Guide.

Wheel? Remind me again what the gamepad is for?

BassLostie

BassLostie said:

@zool The Gamepad is awesome. I think the wheel on that pack is for Multiplayer. There are only a few amount of players that actually use motion controls for Mario Kart.....

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wowzers these look awesome! I already have a cover for my Wii U Gamepad but I want one of these! :D

Kirk

Kirk said:

I don't care what anyone else thinks; Those GamePad covers look terrible.

I GENUINELY thought someone had quickly photoshoped them into the image when I first saw the thumbnail and the bits around the bottom where the cover is cut around the buttons etc; I actually thought was where someone had just quickly used the Photoshop eraser tool when messing around with the image.