Shovel Knight Release Pushed Back "A Few Weeks"

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"We’ve been working literally every day, and every waking hour"

The upcoming arrival of Shovel Knight on Wii U and 3DS is undoubtedly a potential highlight in the near future, with plenty of positive vibes around the title.

We'll all have to wait a little longer to see whether it fulfils its potential, however, as Yacht Club Games has issued a Kickstarter update to advise that it'll arrive on all platforms a few weeks after its previous target of 31st March. The reasoning is simple — the studio wants a little more time to finish the job.

Hello Shovelers and Shovelettes! There are only a couple weeks until Shovel Knight’s release date of March 31. The crew at the Yacht Club is tired; we’ve been working literally every day, and every waking hour, to make the game great. But! We’re just not quite there yet.

So, we hemmed and hawed, and made a Super Important Executive Decision. This update is to let everyone know that Shovel Knight will be missing March 31 by a few weeks to make sure it’s a world class experience, and can release on all platforms simultaneously. This isn’t a major delay, or a long one; it’s simply a stretch of time to get everything polished and aligned. While major development is quickly drawing to a close, there are still some external factors, like submission preparation, which need a little bit more breathing room before the game goes live.

We don’t want to announce another release date until it's 100% locked in with both Nintendo and Steam, so please sit tight… we’ll announce a new, final release date very soon. But the game is like… so done! Here’s what we’re working on in our feverish final hours:

• Dialogue and scripted events are being finalized
  • Finishing touches put on level design for the final levels
  • Overall game balancing
  • Platform specific standards so everything runs smoothly on your system of choice!
  • Testing, testing, testing… on all platforms!

Are you looking forward to Shovel Knight on Wii U and 3DS, and if so are you happy to wait a few extra weeks? Either way, it's not long until we'll see whether this promising title lives up to its promise.

Thanks to Sander Evers for the tip.

[via kickstarter.com]

Related Games

Webby-sama

Webby-sama said:

A few weeks should be worth the wait. If the people who make a game are not satisfied then neither will those who buy it.

Emblem

Emblem said:

This is one of the only retro type titles i'm interested in so i hope they only release it when they are happy with it.

Sammycrow

Sammycrow said:

@Webby-sama Well said! Besides, we've already endured some much longer delays before with this game - a few more weeks on top of that isn't much to ask.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I want it to be awesome and it looks like Yacht Club Games is something special. If I want more games from them, I want this to succeed. So, by all means, take the time to get it right!

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

But I want it nowwwwwww......

I'm loving the Nintendo-esque quality of time it seems like they're putting into this. Should be worth the wait, even if it is a little longer than anticipated.

millarrp

millarrp said:

It's good to see a developer put the effort info getting it right the first time. I have to admit the anticipation is getting hard to handle.

HylianJowiStaff

HylianJowi said:

This game looks freakin' fantastic. These guys clearly know what they're doing--I'll wait as long as they need to polish this little masterpiece up.

B-Squared

B-Squared said:

I can wait a bit longer...and I appreciate trying to polish it as much as possible. I wish them luck during all this crunch time!

rjejr

rjejr said:

I've never been so happy to read about a delay as when I read these 2 little words:

"all platforms"

I'm not really interested in this game but now I may have to buy it just because.

spizzamarozzi

spizzamarozzi said:

I don't mind waiting more to get a better product, but delays and vague release dates are becoming the standard in the indie game industry. Not good. Also, I hope this game is still a WiiU/3DS/PC exclusive - that "all platforms" scares me.

deffinjr

deffinjr said:

So what I am supposed to play on the 3DS until the game comes out? Any suggestions?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I did not support the kickstarter but I plan to get the Wii U version, whenever it is released. And again, I am a bit worried that Scram Kitty may have a similar treatment soon.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Bummer... oh well, more time for the backlog. :) Haven't decided on the platform anyway!

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

A few weeks isn't too big of a deal to me, especially when the extra time is being used to perfect the experience, and it sounds like they've really been pushing themselves with development of this game. I'm going to feel really bad for these guys if the game doesn't do too well.

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

@evildevil97

I totally agree, on both accounts. I want it sooner than later, but if they're anything like Nintendo in terms of delays improving quality I know I won't be disappointed.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I don't mind. The time they take to make the game even more awesome will be well worth the wait.

luke88

luke88 said:

@deffinjr and I'm playing ace attorney: dual destinies at the moment, which is also great. Lots of choice, hope you find something to keep you entertained.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

.... I knew it. Well, it's not like I don't have enough to play anyway and still haven't settled down on a Wii U purchase option yet so it's no biggie.

Now waiting for the Siesta Fiesta team to give an update because last I heard they were aiming for March but with still no date, that seems to not be happening.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

Well that's just great, I was really looking forward to playing Shovel Knight on the 31st. Why are all these games being promised for a certain date and then get delayed, I would think someone would know they might not be able to deliver a game they're making by that date, I would rather them not promise a release date unless they're really sure?

rtr0GMR1

rtr0GMR1 said:

I must be in the minority that just doesn't get the excitement over this game. I grew up with the NES and have played countless, amazing 8-bit games.

I'm not saying that a great video game isn't worth getting excited over, I'm just saying that I don't get the level of excitement.

Mr-DNA

Mr-DNA said:

I'm glad they want to release a finished product, but I gotta admit this stings a little. Especially with Shantae's delay. Oh, well.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

It seems like it's never going to come out. Really looking forward to playing whenever it's released!

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

I'm dying to play it, but as usual, I'd rather have a great delayed game than a mediocre rushed one. If the game is released when it's actually ready to be, then it's released on time in my book.

EOTW

EOTW said:

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

• Shigeru Miyamoto
NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

@rtr0GMR1
I'm stoked for it for the following reasons:
It's not a retro game in the sense it's limited by it's tech, but rather all the cool layering and personality the devs have crammed in in spite of the 'old school' aesthetic. It's done by guys that had their fingers all over the Shantae series and would have helped make Mighty Switch Force even better.
It's a company whose members have plenty of history with and love for Nintendo platforms. And it's a crazy combination of Castlevania and Ducktales, two of 8-bits best offerings.
I'm personally more excited by Pier Solar and finally playing a game I logged over 30 hours in in HD and Tengami, a game whose art style won me over instantly.

Smug43

Smug43 said:

Will buy day one.. no matter what that day is.. this game looks amazing!

Action51

Action51 said:

What! How dare they!

Just kidding, but I am waiting for this title...I recently started playing "The Witcher 2" that I had bought for PC during the steam holiday sale thinking that would tide me over till Mario Kart 7...but it sucks. Hard.

I was hoping this would help fill the gap sooner then later.

twistedbee

twistedbee said:

A delayed game is eventually a good game but a rushed game is bad forever. I can wait a little longer.

Action51

Action51 said:

@rtr0GMR1 - I think the excitement is over the fact that it's an indie that really looks like it will play like a classic NES game.

I've been playing quite a few indies lately, and while the experience is enjoyable, they don't have that "feel" of classic action adventure games like Castlevania, Megaman, Wizards & Warriors, Faxanadu, Bionic Commando, etc.

I think what Nintendo, most of the big developers, and many of the smaller indie developers miss completely about that era is encapsulated here, and I can't quite put it into words.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Better than releasing it glitchy and patching it later. I approve this even if I have to wait longer. It's not like I don't have and endless pile of awesome games to play, anyway >.>

Pod

Pod said:

I'm very curious to see how much content and how many secrets are in there when it comes out, and how challenging it gets. :)

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

No problem. Dark Souls 2 will keep me occupied. Take your time to make Shovel Knight perfect!

Josaku

Josaku said:

Dosen't mean "Testing" that they are playing the game to see if there are any gameruining Bugs in it? If that's the case I want to "Test" it too! :D

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

Shovel Knight delayed, you say? Nnnnnooooooooooooo!!!!!
Never mind. 'All good things' and all that :-)

Stu13

Stu13 said:

I'm going to go dig a hole and hide in it until this finally comes out.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

Disappointing.
Hopefully they will release it before the end of Spring.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Found out about this delay in the middle of a podcast I was on last night, so it was kinda funny that I was shocked in the middle of being live. Nonetheless, I am anxiously awaiting this game. I pledged for this on KickStarter and can't wait!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I'm still not sure which system i want this for?? Might wait for reviews to see! Hopefully the reviews for both will be timely!!

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

If problems are there, better to fix it before it releases then try to patch it after-the-fact.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

Is funny how if a big developer delays a game everybody (I know it isn't everybody) cries bloody murder, but if an Indie developer delays a game everybody just basically pad them on the head and say: "there, there. Don't worry, take all the time you need."

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

I was very disappointed when I got the Kickstarter update that the game was delayed but in the end of the day I rather have a game with few hiccups if it means a few weeks longer to wait.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

@Dark-Link73 Guess because people expect more efficiency from big developers but you're right. A single delay and suddenly a game goes from being at the top of wishlists to the bargain bin even if it became a better game in the end. :P

@rtr0GMR1 I wasn't initially following this game until after seeing the developer's latest interviews. The game doesn't have a feel of a throwback to me like most of these type of projects but it really feels like a game from that era with a simple "hook" mechanic and all. The developers really seem to get what made games from that era so charming and replayable. The music pretty much sold me though, if you haven't checked out some of the tracks they've previewed yet, it might be worth the price of admission alone.

Gioku

Gioku said:

They seem to have good reasons, so I don't wanna rush them or anything. I want Shovel Knight to be the best it can be! :)

Hairmanban19

Hairmanban19 said:

Why does the "Coming Soon" thing on the home page here, say Shovel Knight is coming out on April 2nd when this doesn't even have a confirmed release date?