Nintendo Open To Applying Zelda: Link Between Worlds Approach To Other Franchises

Posted by Damien McFerran

Could we see new Star Fox and Metroid games taking the same route?

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a unique title in the history of the franchise in that it uses an existing entry — A Link to the Past — as its foundation and builds new content on top of that. This strategy worked fantastically — as you'll be aware from our 10/10 review — and the good news is that Nintendo is prepared to try the same tactic with some of its other famous titles.

Speaking to Game Informer, Link Between Worlds director Hiromasa Shikata said:

It’s an honor that people consider the game to be a success. When we make a game we often start by thinking of the basic system and letting that in turn determine a suitable setting. If there’s something fitting for the basic Star Fox and Metroid formula then I think we’ll be able to develop something. On this title, if we hadn’t come up with the idea of going into the walls at the beginning and instead thought of something new which had the player curling up into a ball, we might have ended up with Metroid, not Zelda.

What franchise do you think this approach would work best with? Which series are you keenest to see resurrected in such a fashion? Let us know by posting a comment below.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

Darren1986

Darren1986 said:

Absolutely open to a game in this style for Metroid. I think a lot of fans, especially from our community, really want to see a sequel to Metroid Fusion in that classic 2D side scrolling approach. A sequel with a great story and some nifty effects would be very welcome on the 3DS. I also feel that they could test the waters with a faithful remake of Super Metroid for the 3DS to mark the game celebrating its 20th Anniversary this year. Given that is only three months away, I can only hope they are working on it already.

But yes, absolutely, Metroid would be a great fit, would be interested to hear if anyone else feels the same way as I do on this.

GamerGleek47

GamerGleek47 said:

Ok so this has nothing to do with this article but, could you guys please fix the ads on NL Mobile versions? I mean that Mobogenie app just keeps downloading for no apparent reason and Google Play keeps popping up showing that app. Please give me at least a solution :(

You can use the contact form to contact the directors -LZ

Also, ALBW could've been a Metroid? Oh well, that certainly brings hope to see a bew Metroid! :)

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

If they do it, they should take Star Fox Assault as the base for a new game. Assault still has the best potential of delivering a great story with loads of action and intense gameplay full of gigantic bosses. The flight-only games didn't always help in actually realizing the size of your enemies.
Of course Super Metroid would be the choice for a new Metroid game, though.

@chronicler Not reall, seeing how radically different it is from the first two games.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I want to revisit Crystal on Dinosaur Planet. Starfox and Trixie can stay away this time. They could time it's release to coincide w/ Avatar 2. Dinosaurs are always in season. It could be a family friendly Tomb Raider.

Darren1986

Darren1986 said:

Also, is there a link to the original Game Informer article? Because I don't see it. All I see is a link to the website, same from the 'source' at Nintendo Everything.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Yep, Super Metroid is also my euh... prime nomination for a re-imagination

Darren1986

Darren1986 said:

@VolcanoFlames Personally speaking, I feel this approach is better suited to a handheld platform like the 3DS. For a Wii U title I would expect something along the lines of Metroid Prime, but with a completely new story plot and threat, possibly making use of the unique features the Gamepad can bring.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

A new 2D Metroid would be the most optimal, but if they wanna do the Zero Mission thing again I'd rather them redo Metroid 2 because there's a lot more to improve on that compared to Super which is already pretty much a perfect game.

LDXD

LDXD said:

Super metroid, metroid 2 return of samus, Zelda 2 adventures of link

Darren1986

Darren1986 said:

@Ony Super Metroid 2 isn't exactly possible, and would effectively be Metroid: Other M. There is a timeline for the games, and the events of Other M take place soon after Super Metroid.

Goginho

Goginho said:

I would definitely love to dive into a brand new Star Fox game again :)
If they make a REALLY epic-looking Star Fox game (that not only looks epic in the trailers and what not, but also plays epically) for the Wii U, as well as a 3DS follow-up (I mean c'mon, 3D!), then that would surely appeal to some outer audiences that constantly criticize Nintendo for various reasons. Like seriously, make an epic space shooter adventure game. Star Fox 64 was so epic to me back then, imagine the possibilites now (and them visuals).

Reboot the Wario Land series. Use creative ideas and add them to a Wario game, since we haven't seen much of him in a while. I would love an announcement for a new Wario game on the 3DS sometime, and then have Iwata say, to shorten the wait for the new Wario game, we have redone the Virtual Boy Wario Land for the 3DS, which will be available on the eShop shortly after this Direct :P
Also, why not give Waluigi a stand-alone game. Mario and Luigi have theirs, Wario has had his since the 90s, even Peach got in on the platforming fun, not to mention Yoshi ..then we got introduced to Waluigi, but haven't seen him in anything other than spin-offs and sports games. I don't want him to just be a fill for side-games, acting as a doppelgänger for Luigi, considering Mario has his. They could come up with a really clever game mechanic or prime concept for a game and make Waluigi the protagonist. I know it won't sell like a game with "Super Mario" on the cover, but if they pull some crazy stuff off, then who knows, it might get popular enough that he establishes his own series.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Darren1986 anything is possible we could pretend other m didn't exist And to some degree I wish it didn't
Metroid is my favorite series minus other m and I haven't Played a single one for the story
Hell they can have super metroid 2 with out any dialog or story whatsoever these are games 1st this isn't quite mass effect here

1958Fury

1958Fury said:

Hope they're not just teasing me... A new 2D Metroid created with the obvious love that went into ALBW is almost too much to hope for.

Kmno

Kmno said:

A Metroid Prime style game onthe 3DS would be quite welcome by me, I think it fits perfectly. Still if they did a 2D one I'll be happy, just continue the story after Fusion and try to ignore as hard as you can Other M.

zionich

zionich said:

I'm one of the few that liked Other M so I can't bash it. I would like to see another multi world Metroid, I think what there hinting, if anything is the power up system. In a linear story such as Metroid do you constantly explain how Samus looses her power ups, do you make it military style when you must be authorized to use force, or does she have everything from the begining?

I guess they could do you have everything and you get power ups for your ship when fighting bosses and add space combat.

I think it's easier with Zelda because of the generational gaps.

It is going to be interesting to see what they decide on.

arderin64

arderin64 said:

To the best of my memory Metroid Prime & Fusion came out pretty close together. I think a similar situation with a Wii U first person Metroid complemented by a side scrolling 3DS release would have me crying tears of joy.

Darren1986

Darren1986 said:

@shigulicious @LDXD Ignorance is bliss I guess, but I don't share those same views. What I am very excited about however, is the possibility of any future Metroid title that may appear on 3DS or Wii U. In this instance, I think a Super Metroid or Metroid 5 (Dread) title would be appropriate on 3DS, that is what I personally would love to see.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Darren1986 I'd take any metroid at this point! I miss the series if they ever have another M type game if they make it more focust on exploration get rid of the pixel hunt and human aspects I'd be happy when I play metroid I want the freedom to explore and get lost in an alien planet not be told what to do by some punk and I know this has been said before but I rather the silent samus because in my mind she was a bad *** that would give boba fett a run for his money not some whiney little brat

treeofmana

treeofmana said:

I'll add my support for Other M here. I think it was an excellent game in all areas other than voice acting and story. The gameplay was solid and the story was actually compelling but suffered because of melodramatic and at times unbelievable voice acting as well as inconsistencies with the inferred character development of past games. I would not dismiss the game as a whole based on those things alone. Also, I love the control scheme!

Darren1986

Darren1986 said:

@LDXD People have said a lot of things about Other M, most get controversial and out of hand, my focus is on future titles. I have no problem with a good story and dialogue, providing it is delivered in an effective way. I personally feel that lots of Metroid fans will appreciate a 2.5D approach for Metroid on 3DS, it has been over 11 years since we had a sequel to Metroid Fusion, and that is a long time to see what happens to Samus next.

I also feel there is some room to expand on events between Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Metroid 2: Return of Samus. The plot for Metroid 2 is that the Galactic Federation has ordered the elimination of all Metroid lifeforms on Planet SR388 before the Space Pirates can use them instead. Perhaps there was some huge catastrophe that could take place between Corruption and Metroid 2 that we could see a story to?

ShadowFox254

ShadowFox254 said:

I just want Star Fox to be awesome again (secret warps, choosing your own route, and awesome multiplayer).

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Darren1986 yeah I know what you mean I wouldn't mind another other m type if they fix some of the issues it had because I really liked the 2.5 d and the combat for the most part
What if we could go back to planet sr388 because we find out that the GF didn't actually do its job 100% unless they completely destroyed the planet? Maybe they forgot something
Anyway even if that story didn't work soner or later I would like a remake of metroid 2 an updated version would be awesome

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Super Metroid will be at the top of my list. I think a lot of the gaming franchises need to take a lesson from ALBW and go back to what made them so great to begin with. I will admit ALBW has restored my faith in the Zelda series. I hope the Wii U one will be a top down Zelda but more then likely it will be a 3rd person one.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

How about they just make some fantastic original games for the systems that are out at the mo and if the game deserves it, give us storyline DLC using the same worlds etc. ?

LDXD

LDXD said:

Another game that can use a remake is Zelda 2 it was so unique but had its fair share of problems (I still love it) but it could benefit from a remake or something

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Is he saying that there are still no Metroid or Star Fox games in development?
Holy smokes, Nintendo, show fans some love.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

There will be a 3D Metroid this year... Calling it right now. Star Fox next year. F-Zero and Earthbound will be neglected until time ends. 7 new Mario (including/and/or Luigi) games this year, two Zelda games.

Tiberius29

Tiberius29 said:

@treeofmana The NES control scheme was/is the WORST ever. NES style made it outdated, wiimote and nunchuck would still have been better. Or the Wii u gamepad too... Also, inconsistent story broken missile system, and that "episode" with ridley. Nearly destroyed the franchise for me, had to play metroid prime trilogy to get the bad taste out of my brain. Ugh.... /rant

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

Other M was not at all a bad game when judged on its own merits. It only got so much hate because it completely sucked as a Metroid game.

Darren1986

Darren1986 said:

@LXDX Remember how the BSL research station crashed into SR388 in Fusion? There is debate about whether the planet survived or not. If it didn't, then there goes that idea!

Darren1986

Darren1986 said:

@Zelda_28 With respect, this isn't what the topic is about. Metroid is a franchise that is very dear to me, and if I was you, one game wouldn't be enough to spoil it for me, given that I love what has been done previously. So, what would YOU like to see in a new Metroid title? ;)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Yes, I would gladly support this kind of approach for Nintendo's other franchises. A 2D Metroid should be made for 3DS if it isn't already. Star Fox I feel should get a Wii U game.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Experience points should be changed to Rupees. Which can be spent and saved as regular Rupees are in other Zelda games. You can then buy upgrades at any time in towns. Hearts and Magic would be visually represented as they are in other Zelda games too. There would be four swords, each with two levels instead of having one sword with eight levels.

Just little things like that would make Zelda II feel more like a regular Zelda game.

Shire

Shire said:

Although I did really enjoy Link Between Worlds, it wasn't because of how it built on Link to the Past. I actually thought it was relying too much on nostalgia for the earlier game when it didn't need to.

paburrows

paburrows said:

They already made a Metroid game after the Link Between Worlds model with Metroid Zero Mission which was basically the original Metroid with some new graphics and areas and was a great game. I would love if they toke Super Metroid and added some new twist too it, or even a totally new 2D game that is a lot like Super Metroid/Fusion/Zero Mission, etc.

GoombaJMR

GoombaJMR said:

Paper Mario WII U in the same world (and more stuff obv) as Paper Mario TTYD. That is my dream

Joetherocker

Joetherocker said:

A reboot of Star Fox to the pre-Adventures era would be nice. Or a prequel to 64 where you play as a younger Fox who's proving himself. Since you're just kinda the go-to guy for saving the universe in the other games.

Of_Folsense

Of_Folsense said:

Really I think he only way I could be truly content with a new Starfox is if it continued where Starfox 64 left off and totally forgot the three games after it. The original and 64 are the only ones I truly accept.

zool

zool said:

I would like to see 'new' style games rather rely on old formulas.

The Ocarina of time Zelda brought 2d games into the new 3d world. Just a shame the game was not an all 'new' Zelda.

And the Mario Games on the Wii u are just following the Old Mario Bros style layout. We need something 'new'.

Of_Folsense

Of_Folsense said:

@Darren1986
I assume your referring to Other M? I enjoyed other M and thought it was fine. Well, in terms of gameplay. And almost everything was well done. The cutscenes were very good for the wii, and I was overall very impressed with the game. Just not the story.
I have heard that others have a huge problem with other M... Well that's what Adventures is like for me. I can't "move foreword" because they're not fixing anything! Now 60% of the series is bad!

Doma

Doma said:

I'm not a fan of the recycling of worlds/places unless it's a real sequel. Make entirely new games in those franchise instead of being lazy, please.

@donkeykong64

Untitled

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I think a new Metroid is a given, and applying that style to a 3DS Metroid similar to Super Metroid on SNES would be a grand idea. However, Star Fox needs to go in a new and bold direction. Star Fox has some of the greatest potential out of any Nintendo IP, in my opinion. The setting is in SPACE, after all. SPACE!!!!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I'd be all over a 2D Metroid. Not a fan of first-person shooters, so the Prime series sadly doesn't do it for me.

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

@chronicler No?

I dunno, I'm sure ALBW is a fantastic game, but the only reason it fit Zelda was because...it was Zelda.
I want completely new experiences from Metroid and Star Fox. Mainly because it's been years since we last got a M/SF game,,,

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@Zelda_28 @treeofmana Add another vote in defense of Other M. And the NES-style control scheme was inventive/unique, and worked quite well, IMO.

But I think the point of the interview is being lost here. They're not talking about taking an old classic and reinventing it. They're saying that they first think of a mechanic and then find the franchise/setting that fits it. E.g., the wall-painting movement in ALBW. Had the mechanic used a ball-morph type of move, Metroid would have been the obvious choice. Don't think this confirms a forthcoming Super Metroid reboot, as much as I'd love to see that happen....

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

That sounds fine to me. Especially for Star Fox. In the classic games, the galaxy is at war and StarFox just marches their way across made of win. Here you could pick to influence different areas of the war and it effects the scenario between either side.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I want them to make new games with the essence and heart of Earthbound, A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, & Starfox. I don't need sequels to these games necessarily. But I want the games to be as good as these games. A Link Between Worlds was a great start.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Bass_X0 yeah that could work as long as they leave the main feel of the game intact I like how Zelda 2 had a different feel to it and the challenge was very nice
I think they should leave the experience point system just make it more complex I'd like to see some more RPG elements in it if they were to remake zelda2
Also add some sort of crafting system different materials to find to upgrade your equipment and weapons an the smithy also more verity in magic spells and ways to upgrade them also add ng+ and so on
As a kid tloz was the game to get me hooked on games going into Zelda 2 I was like wtf is this junk I guess it just grew on me I think it was the music and challenge
Maybe I have bad taste sometimes I'm one of the few who love castlevania 2 probably for the same reasons
Both games need a remake

Noboty

Noboty said:

They should take the "60 fps" approach most of all and apply that. Starting with Pokemon X/Y.

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

take the formula from ALBW, and before gluing it onto other franchises, FIX IT. the game was so broken it was a chore to play. please fix the formula before applying it to the likes of metroid.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

im just happy the at least talked about star fox and metriod that might come back for the wiiu or the 3ds now i need f zero and earthbound to come back.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I think they should leave the experience point system

I didn't like how if you decided to pass on an upgrade upon reaching the amount needed for the upgrade, you couldn't go back and choose that earlier lower cost upgrade. You had to wait until you had enough experience points for the next upgrade. I also didn't like how your experience points were reset even if you saved the game when you turned the game off.

Those are the first two things about Zelda II I would change. Magic abilities would also be assigned to a button like items are in other games.

Why can't we let a phenomenon be a phenomenon and leave it at that?

Because no game is perfect and time moves forward. Plus remakes of past phenomenon games sell. I brought Ocarina of Time on 3DS despite already having it on Wii VC. I did wait for a significant price drop though.

Austroid

Austroid said:

What's that about Metroid AND Star Fox? :O

Please don't keep us waiting much longer Nintendo.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I'm game for whatever. Doesn't matter which franchise, because they all blow me away. Fire Emblem Awakening? Score. Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon? Score. Pikmin 3? Score. Mario & Luigi Dream Team? Score. Zelda Windwaker HD? Score. Wonderful 101? Score. Zelda Link Between Worlds? Super Score. Super Mario 3D World? Super ultra uber duber score.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze? Scooooooooooooooooooooooooooore!!!

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

@LDXD
here, i'll break it down:

• the renting system; everything was FAR FAR FAR too cheap. as soon as i was given the option to rent an item, i was able to rent every single item right off the bat. and when i was given the option to buy things, i was able to do that, right after Ravio told me i could.
  • why is it so easy to farm rupees? enemies rain thousands of rupees when you kill them. there are ways to make TONS of money in minigames. dungeons have them everywhere. if you had trouble finding money in this game, you're playing the game wrong. Nintendo made extra sure that the players could find thousands of rupees in one hour (i collected over 4000 in one hour, for instance).
  • so those last two bullets, they are next to eachother so that i can emphasize that its too easy to get money, and because the items are so easy to rent (and buy), its pretty much pointless having them up for sale since they're so easy to buy (with all this $$).
  • the game is also FAR FAR FAR too easy! seriously, i never came close to dying in this game because its so easy. and because its so easy, it pretty much makes the entire renting mechanic pointless. i say this because since there was no risk in dying, there was no risk in losing my rented items. since there is no risk in losing items, you really have no reason to buy items other than the upgrades (speaking of upgrades...)
  • the upgrades are LAME. the only thing they do is make the weapon stronger, and since the enemies go down so easily, that's a useless upgrade. there's nothing in the game that requires you to use a specific upgraded item, which would have made a great incentive to upgrade. overall, minus the bow and ice rod upgrades, everything is pretty dull since the upgrades only make a weapon stronger. there is no incentive to upgrade weapons.
  • there is no reason to hunt the MaiMai things. there are hidden horrible, and as previously mentioned, there is no reason to upgrade anyway.
  • the dungeons are the worst part about this game, sadly. they are too easy and too short. that might not sound too bad on paper, but its as if they put no thought into the dungeons. even though you have access to every item almost at the very beginning of the game, each dungeon only focusses on only one or two items. think about that for a minute. they had the potential to make some of the best and most complex puzzles in a zelda game, but because they limited themselves to one or two items, they fell below par. FAR below par.

this is most of the reasons the game is bad. its late at the time of writing this, and this is all without notes, so i am leaving things out. ultimately, the game is broken.

tl;dr despite having access to every item in the game at the very beginning of the game, nintendo never thought about how that could impact the game. it's too easy to buy every item in the game very early because the items are incredibly cheap and its ridiculously easy to find rupees. there's no reason to buy items because the upgrades suck and because the game is too easy. the dungeons are some of the worst in a zelda game because no thought for puzzles was put into mind when creating them.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@HappyHappyist lol oh I misunderstood you the way I read it I thought you were talking about the original metroid
I loved ALBW I do however think its way to easy and can agree with the short dungeons I guess I wasn't bothered with the renting system because I didn't go out my way to buy everything to quickly but I see your point but like you said you don't have to really go out the way for the game to be easy

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Bass_X0 I'm sure if they did redo or revisit Zelda 2 they would fix or tweak those issues at least I would hope
But as Zelda 2 RPG elements and that's one of the things that made it different I don't think they should get rid of that in fact I think they should add a lot more RPG elements to the game, in a different way Nintendo's pretty good at that

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Super Metroid was already a revisit to planet Zebes. Do we really want yet another adventure on the same planet? I'd much rather not see the Link Between Worlds method applied to Super Metroid. Let's see some new worlds; I think Corruption did it best by giving players multiple planets to explore.

Clockwerk

Clockwerk said:

I wouldn't really mind, it just seems incredibly lazy, and I actually found LBW to be such a disappointment. I get that they were going for nostalgic feeling, but there's really no point when the original is so easily and readily available for virtually anyone

T7L3R

T7L3R said:

@Raylax Super Duper Metroid Deluxe Remix: Collector's Edition

But seriously a new 2D Metroid similar to Super Metroid? Here's my bank account Nintendo...take it all.

T7L3R

T7L3R said:

@HappyHappyist Still have not played this game but really? If the dungeons are short and you only need to use one or two items to get through them how is this even considered a decent Zelda game??? The dungeons are the main appeal to me and figuring out ways to use each and every one of ur available items to get through them is what makes the games fun! I guess it makes sense tho for a handheld title...they made it that way so it would be easy to pick up and play for a few minutes. I'll be seriously upset if this carries over into the console version tho...

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

@T7L3R
yeah, the dungeons were really disappointing, despite their potential. the dungeons are criminally short, and the puzzles are some of the worst (honestly though, spirit tracks dungeons were better. and that is saying a LOT).

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

oh phew, I thought for a second they were gonna try the "let the player use all the items from the start" approach in other things, phew
it was cool, fun game, but don't do it again