If Nintendo Did Make A Smartphone, We'd Want It To Look Like This

Posted by Damien McFerran

Feast your eyes on these Famicom and Super Famicom phone mock-ups

There have been calls for Nintendo to enter the mobile phone market for years, with some even going as far as to create 3D renders of what they believe a "Nintenphone" should look like.

While the Kyoto company has so far resisted the urge to leap into the handset arena, if it does ever come to pass we sure hope Nintendo's designers take a look at these fan-made mock-ups. We'd buy them in a heartbeat — what about you?

[via hocori.tumblr.com, tinycartridge.com]

IKAY

IKAY said:

Looks nice. Would choose the famicom style, because it reminds me on the fist pokedex.

onlyaman

onlyaman said:

Clearly, the buttons should be on one side and the control pad (or 3DS-stlye slider) should be on the other. Otherwise games would be pretty unplayable (as they are normally displayed horizontally) and users would get ridiculous hand cramps.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@onlyaman I completely agree, not to mention the buttons are wayyyy too small, especially the Super Famicom phone ones. I wouldn't want these to be anywhere near what any potential Nintendophone looks like, other than maybe the colour style.

Marshi

Marshi said:

Someone should do a mock up of a miiu gamepad phone. Make it the same size as the real gamepad showing a model holding the huge thing to his ear!

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

My fingers hurt just looking at those. Buttons on the sides of the screen please.

Kifa

Kifa said:

Honestly? Those look terribly tacky - like GameBoys with oversized and deformed screens. I'd never use a phone looking like that... :| And those microscopic buttons, my gosh, I imagine how difficult it would be to reliably operate them. No... Just no...

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

It would be hard to press those buttons like that. Yet, I am pretty sure Nintendo's next handheld will be some sort of tablet shaped thingy.... time will tell, let's wait a few years and see.

MAB

MAB said:

@X-Factor I would rather it had a bigger 1080p screen though like my Galaxy S4... Then it would wipe out the iPhone from existence ;)

rjejr

rjejr said:

@MadAussieBloke - Nice photo, but could somebody actually make functional thumpads low enough to slide over? That thing would be really thick when closed.

As for the original photos - they look like the Dreamcast memory card - AKA VMU.

MAB

MAB said:

@rjejr It would only be the thickness of the bottom half of an XL... Not a bad sacrifice to make for some decent phone gaming up in this mofo ;)

rjejr

rjejr said:

@MadAussieBloke - Yeah but the top half of the XL closes over it w/ room made around the screen for the thumbpads, I thought a sliding format would reuire more room. Not e I've never actually owned a sliding phone so I don't really know, just an uneducated assumption.

I think Nintendo needs to make a 2DS phone, you'ld never have to worry about losing it. Surprisingly google couldn't find any mock-ups of one.

Seriously though, I think if Nintendo did make a phone it would be clamshell design. Otherwise it would be a Vita like phone, and Nintendo wouldn't do that.

brentdal

brentdal said:

It's nice to dream. But with Nintendo's "blue water" approach, the phone market seems like the last place they would go.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@X-Factor - The PSPgo was a psychedelic experiment in mass hallucination, it never really existed.

Had it actually existed nobody would ever complain about Vita sales.

Though if it had existed you would have a good point.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

Why would you want to play games vertically? The buttons should be at the sides.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I would definitely buy a Nintendo phone. They're honestly the only major company I trust these days.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Ugh, these look terrible. I think some people need to stop living in the past and realize the impracticality of these phones. Nintendo would need something smoother, say @MadAussieBloke 's pic

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The Xperia Play was the last straw for me with Sony. (The product that made me decide to never buy anything from them again). Other than manufacturing defects. Not updating the software to a version that could support the hardware properly. (Which they promised beforehand). Not releasing any games after the first batch. I paid full price for it as well. (At current prices that would be more than a vita and a PS3 or even a PS4 and a vita).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@yuwarite Significant amount of Arcade games used a vertically orientated monitor. (What makes stuff like Raiden Legacy so convenient on a tablet with physical controls). Even stuff like Donkey Kong used that for the proper version.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

No no no, those button placements look bloody awkward. Wouldn't work. But the mockup posted by madaussiebloke looks right.

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

@MadAussieBloke yeah, definitely. if Nintendo ever made a smartphone, they should probably add in a second half to the phone with buttons that you can slide in and out, instead of putting microscopic buttons on the small edges of the phone.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@MadAussieBloke That would be awesome, a little thick but I would buy one. The Circle Pads would work in the slide design as the same use in the 3DS works well.

HopeNForever

HopeNForever said:

Those Super Famicom A B X Y buttons don't seem or even feel right, and I should know since I own a PAL version Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

Retrowire

Retrowire said:

I would buy this in a heartbeat. Wouldn't even care if it was good or not. I'm getting tired of Android.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

That's epic! Now please release a cost reduced version without 3G/4G so I don't need a wireless contract to enjoy this awesome piece of tech! :D

If only it were real... :'(

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

Surely there are Nintendo-themed vinyl skins/ case covers for Smart Phones out there? This is a weird fantasy product, that I'd hope Nintendo would never make. It would splinter the DS market for one.

RedFireTiger

RedFireTiger said:

I've been saying this for awhile now.. All the 3DS needs is a texting feature.. better web browser and app a few essential apps. and they are the best phone ill ever want / need.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

@HopeNForever
I see that too, those buttons seem to had been placed in an awkward position and not like the typical diamond layout like the Super Famicom and many others.

Enthronics

Enthronics said:

Problem here would be weight-ratio related to the button location. Looks good, though.

ungibbed

ungibbed said:

I like the looks. I remember how cool I was when my old BlackBerry 8310 had a SMB 3 system theme complete with sounds.

I'm sure there's plenty of Android themes but I'm too used to my iPhone to switch and don't care much for phone wars.

Still, if something like these ever saw the light along with a N64 themed model, I'd throw my money at them for sure!!!

Crabbymac

Crabbymac said:

Cool but they wouldn't make a smart phone. That would be an awesome if that was a system!