Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is Half Price in Europe and North America

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

For just a few days, hurry!

Those that have been paying attention to today's North American download update have hopefully spotted something rather wonderful, and we don't just mean the early download release of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD. Capcom's rather terrific Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is now half price on the Wii U and 3DS eShop platforms, in both North America and Europe. Oh my...

Perhaps this is in honour of Monster Hunter 4 tearing it up with huge sales figures in Japan, but whatever the reasoning this is a short term offer from today until early morning on 22nd September; there's no time to mess about.

The Wii U version of this title is now $29.99 / €29.99 / £24.99, while the 3DS version is $19.99 / €19.99 / £17.99. We rated both highly in our reviews, ultimately preferring the Wii U iteration's home console comforts and online multiplayer options, though the 3DS is an excellent option minus the online play. If you're yet to try out a Monster Hunter game, or have been holding off on these releases waiting for a cheaper price, we strongly recommend that you take the plunge with these offers.

We can only dream that this promotion is a precursor to greater things for the series in the West; our heads may explode if localisation news for Monster Hunter 4 comes our way.

Related Games

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

People, buy Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate. Need some help starting off, you can find me on Wii U, my username is XCWarrior. I'll be happy to help all the new hunters as best I can if it means more people will play this awesome game. has some of the best online co-op you will find in any game, and easily has 100s of hours of gameplay! Join the hunt!

Heroboss

Heroboss said:

Do you guys playing this with CPP or not? I'd like to have this game but that means buying a CPP.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Heroboss It's feasible to play without a Circle Pad Pro — I reviewed it without one because the Pro XL wasn't out until the game hit stores — as you can set up a virtual d-pad on the right side of the touch screen, meaning you just shift your thumb across. To be perfectly honest though, it's a more enjoyable experience with two sticks / Circle Pads.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

@Heroboss I've got almost over 100 hours invested in my 3DS copy of MH3U. I don't have or use a CPP. To me, there's absolutely no need for one. The L-targeting works great and the D-Pad on the touch screen is simple to use.

TimeGuy

TimeGuy said:

This is definitely a perfect opportunity for those who haven't yet to take the plunge. I've spent over 200 hours in the game and there is still no end in sight, it's pretty awesome.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

i may have to get this now. haven't tried one of these before but 50% off anything is hard to resist... though i'm getting wind waker tonight too (assuming its midnight release) so, ow my wallet

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

Hmm. I have MHTri for Wii but I have launched it just once. Is this update anywhere near worth the 30€? (I'm primarily a single-player gamer anyway, except in local.)

Legodavid18

Legodavid18 said:

I think I'm gonna get 50 bucks and buy both of them. One at home, one for on the road! MH3U can switch savefiles between the WiiU and 3DS, right?

ToniK

ToniK said:

Man, I would so want to like these games. I'm just not a fan of boss fights and I've understood this game is pretty much about "boss fights". And the 3DS version is only 20€. Man! I have to consider this deeply.

james_squared

james_squared said:

Nice deal! I'll have to try the demo out some more if I get a chance, but I wasn't terribly impressed with it as, well, it's not really the kind of game that I like to play.

Cohort

Cohort said:

I have a US 3DS and a PAL Wii U, so im guessing that the "data transfer" app won't work? I'll still probably buy it on 3DS though at that price..

Netto-kun

Netto-kun said:

Would've gifted the game to 2-3 friends if Wii U and 3DS had a gift feature like the Wii.

Senario

Senario said:

@Marioman64 Get it! The game is loads of fun and the wii u version is by far the best if you do not have any nearby friends to play with. Look up anything through google if you need to. The game does a decent job of stepping you up to the game but knowing skills, weapons, and so on clearly help.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Hmm, how does 25 pounds equal 30 euro equaling 30 dollars?

Think I'll pick up a disk copy in cex for 32euro instead. If it was 20euro to download then yes I would buy.

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

come on people, monster hunter 4 is obviously coming west, it would be idiotic not to, so much money,

i do believe i will grab number 3 now though

Emblem

Emblem said:

Nice move Capcom, you can't even buy these games used for that price in the UK right now.

I'm still playing E04 and awaiting Zelda but i don't think i can pass up this offer. The question now is what platform should i buy it :s .

Ryno

Ryno said:

I don't have the time for a 200 hour game in my life otherwise I probably would.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Won't play it until I have a CPP (I tried that demo without one, and it was... awkward), but this is a darn good price. I don't know, but I might download it in anticipation of buying a CPP.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@readyletsgo £25 is about €30 near as damn it. $ is a tax free price. (Seems it is fairly common for Americans to not be honest with that sort of thing = only matters if you are Al Capone or somebody else they don't like).

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Pretty sweet! I have the game on WiiU and 3DS, both retail, but I will try to get some more of my friends to take the dive into this game!

FlyingKickPunch

FlyingKickPunch said:

Just make sure you know what charm table you're on before you make your character, kids. You don't want to end up like me, and waste 850+ hours before you realize your character is permanently gimped.
The more you know!

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

here in Brazil it's not half price, it's a R$100.00 discount!!! it was R$149.99 and now it is 49.99! I'll get it now! NOW!

Senario

Senario said:

@DarkEdi As an owner of both versions. Buy 3DS one if you value bringing the game with you or you have friends to play with locally. I will note it is possible to solo the entire game.

Buy the Wii U version if you value online play, graphics, and do not mind the lack of portability.

Buy both if money is not an issue and you get the both of best worlds thanks to the free data transfer option.

Only research charm tables if you know you are going to spend more than 100 hrs on the game as charm tables are really complicated. That said the particular charm table you get usually is not bad although the cursed charm tables are borderline bad. They do have benefits such as getting a charm you want easier but the downside of having less charms.

Akira

Akira said:

@SirQuincealot - Maybe, but it's probably going to be some time before we get MH4. :(

@Ralizah - Actually, the demo can't use the CPP. More people would have probably liked it if it did, considering the demo somewhat drops players into the deep end of the pool.
That said, I've had no problems playing the game without a CPP. :)

Specters

Specters said:

Went on the eShop today to check out The Wind Waker, only to see this. Looks like they just got me to spend $50 on both the Wii U and 3DS versions. Also getting The Wind Waker at midnight tonight. Damn you Nintendo for taking all my money.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Nice deal for people but I had a real hard time with the demo. I'm just not sure if I want it. It's tempting at that price though.

Senario

Senario said:

@unrandomsam you kinda figure that out as you play the game. Most people who aren't that into the game quit before they reach 40+ hours. And if you are a veteran player you know you will spend 100+ hrs on it.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

I get my WiiU tomorrow, I will be downloading this.
also I remember reading something about transferring save data between the wiiu and 3ds versions is this true?

MrKenta

MrKenta said:

Damn, by the time I get my Zelda Wii U the discount will be long gone. D:

Chris720

Chris720 said:

That was quite a nice surprise when I went on to the eShop today. But I don't think I really want to buy the 3DS version since I'd need to buy the CPP as well... Especially after using dual sticks on the Wii U. And I'm more interested in MH4 anyway... And I'm quote bored with MH3U. :/

Senario

Senario said:

@jpfan1989 yes, if you have both versions you can use data transfer to move your files from one version to the other. Go 3ds for portability. Go wii u for online play.

Squid

Squid said:

Ooh, Im tempted to buy it on 3DS, but I think I will still wait until I have a Wii U first.

Pod

Pod said:

Smart move.

They want more of the hardcores to get on board immediately as the price drops, instead of waiting for the Christmas bundles.

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

@GuSilverFlame enjoy your shiny new mh3u also do you have a YouTube channel that post video game music from Nintendo games? Gilvasunner is the channel name.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@Macarony64 no, my youtube channel(I don't remember the name) was abandoned a long time ago when I stopped posting school works(I loved making videos at school)

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

I got this game today for the 3DS just because of the sale, it's such a great deal for such an awesome game! :D

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

@Akira

What I mean is that I know what the game controls like without the CPP because of the demo. The controls were particularly hideous underwater.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@Ralizah underwater controls were hideous since the Wii version... and I can tell you it's not worse(but not better at all) in the 3DS without the CPP.

Maladroit

Maladroit said:

Ughhh... I bought a 35 dollar eshop card tuesday and got 4 games, 2 of which I'm disappointed with. I knew I should've waited till today to buy something...

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Good deal. I recommend the Circle Pad Pro, and you can still get online on the 3DS version if you have a Wii U with an ethernet adaptor and download the packet relay tools.

I bought it on release day, and played about 95 hours before I lost most interest. Around 100 hours of game time is pretty good, IMO, and I paid the full $60.

millarrp

millarrp said:

I'm going to grab the wii u version for sure. Haven't decided on if I'm getting the 3ds version or not yet.

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

@Akira 3 ultimate was a year after in the west, so it could be the same this time, but i imagine they will try to be speedier this time,

side note just got 3 utimate, better than i expected, the demo made it seem really hard, but they ease you into it nicely

erv

erv said:

Buy the wii u version and I'll meet you online for sure. This game is awesome.

Nautical-Rudie

Nautical-Rudie said:

@Marshi Its about 14284 blocks

I'm tempted but I didn't like the demo much, will retry it later just in case. I think if I can convince my flatmate to buy it I may do too, though it would require me to buy a bigger SD card as even if I clear my current one totally I still won't have room for the game on it!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@SirQuincealot So there is no way to just skip all the tutorials? (I hate games with loads of tutorials or in game prompts). Just want to read the controls and play it (And learn through doing). Can you do anything in half an hour or do you have to play it for ages?

Windy

Windy said:

@triforcepower73 No. Its a shame they made 3DS Owners buy an adapter and a Wii-U to play online. No Online play takes a huge bite out of this game. Some people really liked it without the online and I put in about 60 hours myself but no online made it feel half done. If you own a Wii-U and can find the adapter your good to go online

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

@Windy Oh that sucks. I live outside town and don't get dsl or cable, so my family has to pay for a satellite and, as anyone in the same situation knows, it's awful. You get a limited amount of internet usage for an unfairly high price. And you can rarely do online gaming.

Senario

Senario said:

@Windy what adaptor? There is no extra cables you need tto transfer your data. Just download the data transfer utility from the e shop on 3DS. I would say the game is infact still good without online. It is a lot of fun hunting and getting better at the game.
@unrandomsam Tutorials in MH? They hold your hand much less than in other games and if you really want to skip the text you can. Pretty sure you should be done with beginning quests in half an hour . The game is not that tutorial heavy.

Sceptic

Sceptic said:

For a non-hardcore console guy, what does this game offer? I tried the demo and the visuals reminded me of vintange Morrowind, very ugly and dated looking, the gameplay seemed like a Duke Nukem boss battle. Get the hang of the AI pattern and play on it until the monster is dead. Going by the gameplay footage, the quest element is, um, rather simplistic.

I can totally see this on a handheld, it has that vibe, and it's deep for that kind of game, but fullscreen on a console on a TV it just seemed shallow, rather ugly and repetitive.

There must be something there or why the enthusiasm. Could somebody fill me in?

luckybreak

luckybreak said:

OH!!! I want to buy this game on wiiu, I am waiting on my shipment of the windwaker wii u! Hopefully it gets here in time so i can buy the game for cheap!!

gazamataz

gazamataz said:

I have the 3ds version and I've been trying not to buy the Wii u version because I already have the game. Now I have to get it and I'm pleased I was too tight to get it before.

Windy

Windy said:

@Senario Yep sorry about that. when the game first came out it required a Lan adapter but they patched the Wii-U so you can play online without it. My mistake. But it's still Cheesy to make people own a Wii-U to play a 3DS game online

Gressil

Gressil said:

@Sceptic

It's very geared toward multi player. You have to enjoy grinding materials and farming resources a bit too. The game loses much of its luster in solo play for some people. I own both versions and I really enjoy it. Plenty of weapons to work on getting good with, a nice bit of a challenge. And on a large TV with HDMI crisp display the game looks good in my opinion. This game was developed for the Wii, after all, and it is merely an enhanced port. But the community is there, and a lot of people are nice that play it. When you hunt a Barrioth with some dudes and its thrashing around it's a lot of fun to be a monster hunter.