Out Now: Art Academy: SketchPad Arrives, Right on Time, in North America and Europe

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Not a drawn out release after all

Earlier in the week, as part of a Nintendo Direct broadcast, it was confirmed that Art Academy: SketchPad would be coming to the Wii U eShop today, 9th August. It's a drawing app that incorporates some of what will eventually be a full Art Academy title for the system, and includes various tools and full Miiverse integration to give eager artists the perfect platform to show what they can do with the GamePad's touch screen.

When it wasn't listed in yesterday's North American Nintendo Download update, there were lingering fears that, despite the confirmation the day before, the app would be delayed at late notice. Thankfully that wasn't the case, as the app is now available on the Wii U eShop in both Europe and North America, priced at $3.99 / £3.59 / €3.99.

The Miiverse community for this app already has well over 10,000 active users; will you be joining them?

Thanks to Lz for the tip.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

Oh great, more great art on Miiverse. Hope that system Iwata was talking about (selecting the best works) is worth a look :)

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I can't draw a lick, so I won't be downloading this, but I will follow that miiverse community to see what the rest of you guys can do.

Shambo

Shambo said:

While my W101 demo was downloading, I made a pretty quick Viewtiful Joe, and I'm rather proud of the -although simple- result. Should anyone want to see it, my username here is the same as my Nintendo Network account.

And I have to say in an edit: having over two decades experience with all sorts of drawing materials, it feels pretty realistic. Hats off to the creators! Of course it's not the exact same, but the visual result seems quite real with different techniques. Great 'app'!

Bigdog

Bigdog said:

When they announced this, I was just hoping it was below $10 so I'd be tempted. At $3.99 it's worth it just for fooling around.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I'm terrible at this stuff so i'll pass but i'm eager to see what the community comes up with with these improved tools.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

For $3.99 — must grab this. I cannot draw... at all, but I'm sure this will be fun to mess around with, and let my four year old son draw on it also.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Just doodle and have fun. Share with the world your perception and imagination. This is the joys of doodle.

Sceptic

Sceptic said:

Drawing on a resistive touch screen. Helloooo Millenium!

But hey, at least for once the price is reasonable. Why hasn't anybody turned this into a game? Draw Something or Pictionary would be perfect for WiiU and should take about a weekend to code.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Considering how expensive art programs that simulate real pencils/pens etc. are, this is a pretty amazing deal. Especially when you consider the built-in community. I'm not good at doing more than doodling, but I just might have to pick this up.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Sorry, I'm passing. I can't draw and am not throwing $4 away. I bought a Wii U to play games, not draw. Hurry up and get some good games, Nintendo. >:[

Big_Al1

Big_Al1 said:

@Sceptic Believe it or not, a resistive screen is very precise when compared to a capacitive one. I am not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I can get better linework out of my 3DS than out of my Android tablet; for the price I think you are getting a lot of bang for your buck.

Here's a drawing I made with Colors 3D:

And another one with Art Academy 3DS:

ChrisT99

ChrisT99 said:

@ThomasBW84 Technically, it wasn't late at all, as Nintendo said it would be released on August 9th (today).
From Nintendo Life's own article: "the app is making its way to the Wii U eShop (in North America and Europe) this Friday, 9th August."

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@ChrisT99 I know, hence the "right on time" line :)

As Ninty didn't list it yesterday, it was nice to see it arrive as expected.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

For $4 this is a great deal. I'll get it as well as Ducktales Remastered very soon so I can make colored drawings on Miiverse.
@Yosher: Good job! I gave that a yeah.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

How can people say Nintendo should've made other games instead of this? Like the team who always works in Art Academy and other creative games is gonna make some big Wii U games instead AND have them finished in time for this summer.

Anyway so many people have waited for this since the announcement of the GamePad. And its only $4! Where can you get a drawing app of that quality at that price? Nintendo keeps surprising. I thought drawing on the 3DS XL was great, but this is definitely a step up. I'll be using it a lot. :)

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

True, too bad I'm on vacation right now :p I'll get this next tuesday. Including the W101 demo.

Kirk

Kirk said:

The quality of images you can actually create using the Wii U GamePad, it's stylus and a piece of software like this is stunning.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I've been debating on using my Deluxe Digital Promo $5 code for this. I have 2 $5 codes, so I can get this, or wait for something else.
Didn't they say there's be DLC?

banacheck

banacheck said:

I agree the app is well worth the money, there was a drawing tablet for the PS3 that was quite good actually. But the Wii U is a lot better i think for drawing, also the Wii U's stylus feels a lot better to hold, not a think thing. Also the price of the app is very cheap, like i said before well worth the money.

Schprocket

Schprocket said:

I can't draw very well... a drafting-style line-drawing is the best I can muster because my hands don't do what my mind sees and my Pixar attempts all turn out to be stick-men... :) - but for a little over Au$5, why not?

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I caved and used my Deleuxe Digital Promo $5 to buy it. Then I spent a 1/2 hour drawing an evil clown that would probably get deleted by an administrator if I posted it on Miiverse. I think it it's worth it...

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I haven't drawn anything since the 6th grade, but I used to be a VERY aspiring artist- the best in my class ever since I was in kindergarten. I'll buy this simply because it's a heck of a tool to use for Miiverse drawings for only a couple dollars. I might draw something elaborate someday with it, who knows.

I'm more excited to SEE the artwork others create- there are some really talented Wii U owners out there.

deusy

deusy said:

I kind of want this, but I'm so bad at drawing that I think I'll pass.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Don't want and/or can't draw at all, but I love the drawings that people make. Glad that the WiiU has another use that brings enjoyment to people. If I had even a slight inkling to draw they could have my $4 in a heartbeat.

NMH-TRI

NMH-TRI said:

@Yosher @ClassicJetterz Those are both great. I got the art app and tried drawing the flower...I had to save it and am still in the process....Both of your art is great though. I can only hope to draw a full picture that captures as much as y'all...(yes, I said y'all)

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

this app is amazing but it has its cons like just changing tools will lock what ever you did and wont be able to erase it later only cover it like layers o.O but other then that price seemed amazing i did my first drawing on it today :D

Fleeso

Fleeso said:

@ClassicJetterz @Yosher

How do you upload those pictures? I'm wondering how I can transfer the pictures I draw onto my computer? Any easy way of doing that? I checked if I could watch the pictures on Miiverse and just save the photos, but the pictures on Miiverse (pc) are so small! Thanks in advance :)

Yosher

Yosher said:

@Fleeso That is pretty much how I did it. Just post it to Miiverse, then you can grab it from the Miiverse website. I wish I could grab a bigger image of it too, but I'm not sure how to do that. That's one gripe I have with this app right now, unable to take the image (the larger version anyway) onto another system.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I used to draw quite a lot when I blogged at IGN, a few years back. This looks tempting to try and get back into drawing. It is really cheap and I would rather draw on the gamepad than on the 3DS screen.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

@sinalefa it really is interesting mostly cuz some parts you dont have the same mess as you would on paper plus miiverse is what got me back to drawing too (:

Williaint

Williaint said:

I thought the software was going to be ... $20... It's a nice deal, for a lot of stuff. May be I'll even post on Miiverse...
I drew a thumb print on an egg. It isn't very interesting...

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

These Art things must sell well. (Only thing with that sort of thing in it I am bothered about is Warioware DIY).

element187

element187 said:

@bezerker99 Pikmin 3 is out now... you should play it if you want a good game... Wonderful 101 is releasing shortly as well. The demo was sublime.

element187

element187 said:

@Forbsz the software is optional for people who want to draw.

How is offering a product for a fair price, theiving? Even for making silly little pieces of software like this it does cost time and money, and thats time and money any company should hope to make back... they are still probably losing money by offering this for $4.