Nintendo Download: 8th August (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Spinning the bottle, battles for the ages, digging for glory and more

It's Monday morning, so it's Nintendo Download news time in Europe. This week brings us one of the most unique Wii U eShop titles to date, some retro goodies, and quite a mix of new titles and price cuts on the 3DS eShop. Without further ado, let's get to the details.

Wii U eShop

Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party (KnapNok Games, €6.99 / £5.99) — This has stood out as one of the quirkiest Wii U exclusives since it was announced, as it's a TV-free game that focuses players around the GamePad screen and has them commit a number of humorous, physical challenges with Wii Remotes. Perhaps also set apart by its peculiar branding, we'll gather some friends, spin the bottle and let you know whether this is as entertaining as it is intriguing.

Wii U Virtual Console

Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV (KOEI, €7.99 / £5.49) — Quite possibly one of the most in-depth games on the Super NES, a simulation strategy title that incorporates real history of ancient China with a befuddling level of complexity. In that respect it may be heaven to some, but inaccessible to plenty of others. While we wrap our heads around it once again you can check out our Wii Virtual Console Romance of the Three Kingdoms review. This is the US version of the game.

Galaga (NAMCO BANDAI Games, €4.99 / £3.49) — If you like retro arcade shmups, there's every chance that this is already on your download list for the week. You fly and shoot, and this NES version of the arcade title has iconic sound effects and gameplay to suit the rosiest of tinted lenses. Whether it still stands up well today is something we'll consider, but we thought it merited a solid recommendation in our Wii Virtual Console Galaga review. This is the US version of the game.

3DS eShop

SteamWorld Dig (Image & Form, €8.99 / £7.99) — The second entry in this series, following DSiWare release SteamWorld: Tower Defense, this is a "platform mining adventure" that promises plenty of content and challenge as you dig for treasure with Rusty the 'cowbot'. The steampunk style is certainly attractive, and some encouraging noise has been made about a good level of challenge to keep 3DS gamers happy; we'll put on a cool hat and work on a review, and in the meantime you can learn more from our interview with Image & Form.

Tangram Style (Moving Player, €5.99 / £5.39) — With a name like Tangram Style, this may be trying to tap into a certain YouTube music phenomenon — you know the one — but it's unrelated. With four modes and more than 600 tangram puzzles said to be included, as well as a probably-superfluous story, this may be good value for fans of the genre. We'll get busy and puzzle out a review soon.

Deer Drive Legends (Maximum Games, €4.99 / £4.49) — Originally released as a retail title in North America, this arrives as a download-only game in Europe at a reduced price. It's yet another gallery shooting game where you hunt wild animals, in what's becoming a surprisingly crowded market on the 3DS eShop. We'll dig out our rather well-worn hunting gear and set out to bring you a review.

3DS eShop Temporary Discount

escapeVektor (Nnooo, €5 / £4.49 until 22nd August, normally €10.00 / £8.99)

Crash City Mayhem (Ghostlight, €9.99 / £8.99 until 22nd August, normally €19.99 / £17.99)

Rising Board 3D (Odenis Studio, €1.49 / £1.29 until 22nd August, normally €1.99 / £1.79)

So there's a variety of content either new or reduced on both Wii U and 3DS this week. Let us know what you plan to pick up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (196 votes)

Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party (Wii U eShop)

16%

Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV (Wii U Virtual Console)

10%

Galaga (Wii U Virtual Console)

SteamWorld Dig (3DS eShop)

10%

Tangram Style (3DS eShop)

Deer Drive Legends (3DS eShop)

escapeVektor (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Crash City Mayhem (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Rising Board 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Nothing for me this week

54%

Please login to vote in this poll.

BriBri

BriBri said:

Lack of Virtual Console for the 3DS is again a bit disappointing. It's not that there aren't enough NES titles (and where are all the Game Boy/Color titles?!)

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I'll wait for SteamWorld Dig's reviews but I'm very interested.

Is escapeVektor worth 5€? Thanks for answering.

Marshi

Marshi said:

Is there any reason people can think of as to why the wiiu vc isnt getting handfuls of vc games each week? Theres realy no excuse for ONE or two vc games a week,why arent they moving swathes of vc stuff from the wii vc?

edhe

edhe said:

AAARGGGHHH!! ROTTK!!!! Finally! A KOEI SNES VC Game!

If KOEI release Uncharted Waters to European Wii U's I'll be so happy!

With that being said, I think I'll definitely give 'Romance' a try.

edhe

edhe said:

Note - we in Europe have had to wait 6 years for this game. North America and Japan got it in Spring 2007 on the Wii VC.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@DarkCoolEdge I love escapeVektor, loads of content and a lot of fun. Definitely, definitely worth it at full price, even better with the discount from Thursday :)

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

@Marshi It's Clearly not that simple to make those games play in full HD Tv, Make sure it runs properly without lagg, make sure that you can create restore points at any place.

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

escapeVektor is definitely worth it. I was shocked to see I've spent 27 hours on the game getting medals, just above Kid Icarus Uprising.

I'll get Steamworld Dig and maybe Romance, nice to see KOEI supporting the Wii U VC. The GamePad is so perfect I'll almost buy any classic game for it.

daveh30

daveh30 said:

i still want to see Virtual Boy games one the 3DS VC. Seems like a match made in heaven... some of those games were actually pretty good and could find an audience if liberated from that infernal contraption...

Cesco

Cesco said:

IMHO this is the weakest week of the year so far. I bet that Nintendo is probably thinking that everyone is on vacation and nobody will care about the eshop on August.

DePapier

DePapier said:

Please, people, get that escapevektor for 5 €, I did it last time they made a sale, and it's worth 4 times the price in terms of content. Plus the gameplay is awesome.

Kamalisk

Kamalisk said:

Still no sign of Megaman X in europe sadly. Confused as to why we don't have it yet

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Pretty good week for Wii U.
A new Wii U party game for just six bucks (Spin The Bottle: Bumpie's Party), a never-released-before SNES strategy import curiosity (Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire), and a timeless arcade evergreen (Galaga). I think I'll get them all eventually.

Cohort

Cohort said:

Bumpie's Party looks like its could be a lot of fun if you have a few peeps round, it's got to be more fun than the dreaded WWTBAM DVD..

Frapp

Frapp said:

Might dip in on escapeVektor as it's a good price, though I've a 10 retail game backlog on 3DS.
I really want to see some proper arcade game bundles on Wii U Virtual Console, such as Namco Museum but with some different games other than the same old ones they stick in every collection.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@edhe No point in having it when there is Galaga '88 (TG16 - Western version released as Galaga '90). The Arcade version of Galaga is available on numerous compilations as well. (As well as VC Arcade in Japan).

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Will be getting Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I'm glad [Tecmo]/Koei is releasing this on the VC in Europe at last, hopefully further titles that missed Europe VC will follow.
I love Galaga, but will skip this version as I'm perfectly happy with the arcade version on the excellent Pacman & Galaga Dimensions (3DS).

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

Didn't know ROTK 4 was on Wii VC.
I'm still hoping KOEI will do a Dynasty Warriors type game based on their Genghis Khan 2 strategy game.

MAB

MAB said:

That's what I like to see... VC games that I have never played before.

Now where are those Megadrive 3D classics ;)

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Nothing for me this week. Not interested in the two games available for the Wii U.

Still waiting for StarTropics, Pro Wrestling, and Mega Man 5 & 6.

bahooney

bahooney said:

@ScorpionMG Actually, it is that simple. I've watched some tutorial vids on youtube about homebrew Wii emulators, and it's basically a process like:

See ROM.
Download ROM
Play ROM

Not in any way advocating this, but Nintendo seriously has no excuses, especially when Japan's VC is light years ahead.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Cesco That is a stupid assumption. 3DS is the obvious thing to use whilst travelling. People would use it more as they wouldn't have the options of home consoles or computers.

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

@bahooney Yea, But some of those roms still have problems on some games, some of them will still have lagg and they will have difficulties running fully 60Hz
Like i said again, it might seem simple with emulators, but its not that simple to make the game on a full hd tv work, with out lagg and without the framerates dropping.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

ROTK IV ? O.o What the...THAT came unexpected...and is DEFENITLY an instant buy for me. If they would announce other Koei titles like AeroBiz, Nobunagas Ambition, Uncharted Waters and the like, i think i would get a heart attack :D

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@ScorpionMG Nintendo's emulators are not up to scratch. (Especially N64 but all of them. The only good one is the Neo Geo one and even then there is issues with some games. (Tearing in Metal Slug 3)).

Compare some with a real SNES / BSNES and Nintendo's Emulator.

They don't care about quality or they would have refused to let Super Ghouls and Ghosts be put on until the flicker and lag was fixed (Capcom has put working versions on the Saturn and Playstation)

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

What's the price of Spin the Bottle in North America? And is it also getting released this week there?

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

@Jukilum True, I guess its because its their region and it makes it easier for them?There are some Things that will stay a mystery.

Monsti

Monsti said:

Hmmm...Maybe Galaga...Maybe I'll wait because I think that life will be like a hurrican next week or the week after that. So I need some money on my account. ^^

Monsti

Monsti said:

Hmmm...Maybe Galaga...Maybe I'll wait because I think that life will be like a hurricane next week or the week after that. So I need some money on my account. ^^

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

Strong weeks continue... Nice to see RotTK arriving in Europe this time, as on the Wii VC it didn't... However, interesting as it may be, I don't think I'd have time to work my way into this game, so I rather safe the money. Haven't even sufficiently played Ogre Battle 64 yet...
What would make me really happy though, would be a release of the new Wii U version of RottK. It looks amazing... :((

Galaga, well... Missing the TG-16 here, as Galaga '90s is great! One of my most played shoot 'em ups.

Henmii

Henmii said:

He, this is the second time that Escapevector is 5 Euro! I downloaded it at that price! It's a fun game!

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Will we ever get GBC Game & Watch Gallery 3 on the 3DS, I wonder? Nothing for me this week. I've already got EscapeVektor (and for anybody who hasn't, it's awesome). Steamworld Dig looks interesting, but not £7.99 interesting. Ah well, I'll just carry on playing EarthBound, Cloudberry Kingdom and Pikmin 3 for now seeing as I've not finished with them yet, along with my backlog of Wii games that I'm going through.

Falco

Falco said:

Nintendo should get the calculator out and try and do something about the exchange value on some of these games and stop ripping off European gamers.
£5.49 is not equivalent to €7.99 the current rate is about €1.15 = £1 but the way Nintendo have it it's €1.46 = £1
No wonder Nintendo are doing so bad in Europe.

MAB

MAB said:

@ogo79 Ha! yo momma already booked that date several months ago... I don't want to upset that tight drop, SLAP! ;)

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

@ThomasBW84 Ok, I'll give a try but it fails to impress me you shall suffer all my freak anger.

XD, nah, I'm just kidding. I'll break your legs and sell at least one of your kidneys. That way we'll be even :P

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Just got SketchPad at €4 but I thought it would be free?
Oh well it isn't a lot.