Nintendo Download: 13th June (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Animal Crossing arrives, along with Game Gear goodies and more

It's Monday, so it's time to see what we have lined up for this week's Nintendo Download update in Europe, minus any E3 surprises, of course. One of the year's most anticipated 3DS retail titles finally lands, along with the latest Famicom Anniversary Promotion game and a lot of Game Gear retro throwbacks. Let's get right to it.

Wii U Famicom Anniversary Promotion

Mario & Yoshi (Nintendo, €0.30 / £0.30) — This next part of the Famicom Anniversary monthly promotion will be available from 13th June, leaving you with just a few days to grab Super Metroid with some spare change. Although name-dropping two iconic mascots, this is at its core a decent if unspectacular puzzle game, enjoyable but not overly compulsive. We'll cast fresh eyes over this version, but until then you can check out our 3DS Virtual Console Yoshi review.

3DS Virtual Console

Sonic the Hedgehog (SEGA, €4.99 / £4.49) — Quite likely the highest profile of today's Game Gear blitz, the SEGA mascot made his portable debut in this title. Although outgunned by the Game Boy commercially, the Game Gear pushed impressive visuals for its time, and we'll see how this stacks up against its home console contemporaries in our upcoming review.

Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (SEGA, €2.99 / £2.69) — Puzzle games were a mainstay of retro portable systems, and this one brings Sonic's nemesis to the fore before he was named after poultry products. This Puyo Puyo title has you matching four coloured beans at a time, so we'll get own brains into gear to bring you a review.

Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya (SEGA, €3.99 / £3.59) — Shining Force is a fondly remembered franchise on SEGA systems, and now this portable entry makes its debut on the 3DS. Turn-based strategy is all the rage, making this one's timing ideal; we'll take to the battlefield and let you know what we think.

Columns (SEGA, €3.99 / £3.59) — This match-three puzzle title will be familiar to some that received it as part of a Mega Drive hardware bundle, and was fast-paced and compulsive on the 16-bit machine. It's hard to see where the Game Gear version could go wrong, but we'll jump in for a review soon.

3DS Retail Download

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo, €39.99 / £34.99) — What can we say about this one? It's been high on the hype charts for a number of weeks now, and will be available to download from midnight on 14th June; this may be a title perfectly suited to being easily accessible on your SD card. It's more of what fans have come to love in the franchise, with plenty of online fun and Mayoral duties to freshen up the experience. It's been critically acclaimed, and you can check out our Animal Crossing: New Leaf review for our glowing recommendation.

Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns (Rising Star Games, €29.99 / £24.99)

4 Elements (MSL, €12.00 / £10.79)

Luxor (MSL, €11.99 / £10.79)

PETZ Fantasy 3D (Ubisoft, €19.99 / £17.99)

Wii Virtual Console

The Path of the Warrior Art of Fighting 3 (D4 Enterprise, 900 Nintendo Points) — It's a Neo Geo fighting game, and another example of an intuitive experience with some depth for those that fancy themselves to be pros in the genre. It perhaps lacks the bombast of other franchises and isn't a notable step-up over its predecessors, but had enough in its favour to earn a solid recommendation in our The Path of the Warrior Art of Fighting 3 review.

So that's your lot, though previous form suggest that we might get one or two surprise downloads in the coming days of E3. As always you can let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (203 votes)

Mario & Yoshi (Wii U Virtual Console Famicom Anniversary Promotion)

26%

Sonic the Hedgehog (3DS Virtual Console)

12%

Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (3DS Virtual Console)

Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya (3DS Virtual Console)

10%

Columns (3DS Virtual Console)

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS retail download)

30%

Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns (3DS retail download)

4 Elements (3DS retail download)

Luxor (3DS retail download)

The Path of the Warrior Art of Fighting (Wii Virtual Console)

Nothing for me this week

16%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Red_Acteur_2

Red_Acteur_2 said:

I'm purretty sure there will be a certain Earthbound coming tomorrow, don't know why, just a feeling I have :3

Zeldalover

Zeldalover said:

I do want the Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit) 3D Classics version. Wonder when that is going to be released.

Legodavid18

Legodavid18 said:

I'm going to get AC once I get some money (and that should be the third game for the 'So Many Games!' promotion!) and I'll get Harvest Moon later on. The last HM I've played was A Wonderful Life on GameCube, so I'm interested to jump back in now!

Katzii

Katzii said:

Will be getting Sonic 1, definitely. The 8-bit one is far superior to the Mega Drive one and I can't say no to some help from save states!

SuperSah

SuperSah said:

Animal Crossing!

My free So Many Games code.

Remember the code is on your Club Nintendo account at midnight! :D

LittleFuryThing

LittleFuryThing said:

Animal Crossing. You WILL be mine! :)
Shining Force is a nice inclusion, but I'll get that at a later point.

...and Cave Story+ is still M.I.A. for Europe. Spring release? That was a load of bollocks. :|

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Other then Animal Crossing I think I will pick up shining force. I love 1 & 2 (one being my favorite) but never got the game gear ones.

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

Unfortunate for Harvest Moon, that release was very poorly timed.

I want to play another Harvest Moon game at some point....but I'm more interested in New Leaf right now.

iphys

iphys said:

Nice price on Mean Bean Machine. I hope we get it in NA this week too.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

First, I'll just the obligatory "Where's my Cave Story" comment out of the way.

Okay then, FINALLY, some Animal Crossing 3DS goodness. :D
Even better yet, I'm getting it completely free thanks to that So Many Game promotion, best freebie ever!

Kirbic

Kirbic said:

Saw Sonic and got excited, but I was really after Tails Adventure. Oh well. Columns is nice too and I'll have a look at Shining Force.

Oh...and my free Animal Crossing, of course. :D

Cesco

Cesco said:

I'm getting Animal Crossing (and without spending a single dime, courtesy of Nintendo)

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

Downloading Animal Crossing: New Leaf, since I got it with that 'buy 3 games get 1 free' action Nintendo is doing.

EDIT: Hehe, so basically the same as the post above me. ^^

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

I love 8-bit Sonic 1. I've got the Game Gear version already on the GameCube (Sonic Adventure DX) and on PS2 (Sonic Mega Collection Plus), and I have the Master System version on Wii Virtual Console. Maybe I should get it on 3DS because it's the first time I'll have it portable?

KongFu

KongFu said:

@SuperSah
At midnight??? In the confirmation mail they only wrote "briefly after release", which could mean anything... Where did you get this information? Because I would certainly like it that way. : D

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Hoping they add ALTTP during E3, as a sort of "We are releasing ALTTP 2 on such and such a date. In the meantime, you can enjoy the original on Wii U to buy time till release of the sequel, right now!" hype thingy.

JohnG

JohnG said:

Let's hope the sound is a little louder on this round of GG titles!

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Game Gear games? Hopefully that'll be hitting the North American shop this week. But what am I kidding? We'll probably get two games tops.

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

Yeah.. I voted for Shining Force even though I'm from the U.S. Here's hoping that it gets released here this week.. I must play that game.

BigBluePanda

BigBluePanda said:

Anyone have previous experience with getting their free Extra Games copy on the day of the title's release?

I'm wishfully hoping Nintendo will send my Animal Crossing code the exact moment it's released, hah.

Windy

Windy said:

SHINING FORCE! I also bought 2 copies of Animal Crossing on Cartridge

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

The 8-bit Sonic 1 is one of my favourite platformers of all time. Will definitely get even though I already have the Master System version the Wii VC.

accc

accc said:

When I saw the Sonic image I got all excited thinking we were finally getting the 3D remake of the Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog, only to find that it's just a port of the crappy Game Gear version which suffered heavily due to the Game Gear's low screen resolution. I think it's disgusting that Sega's holding back their excellent 3D remakes from us.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@undead_terror: Get one. I did, and I've found so many deals on there. When i look for something online I check both amazon and ebay. Sometimes ebay beats amazon, and sometimes amazon beats ebay. It's good to have accounts with both sites so you can comparison shop. If $19 is a bit steep, keep your eyes on both sites and wait for a price drop. Have you tried Best Buy? I bet you could order it directly from them too.

Yai

Yai said:

Animal Crossing and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. I'm really surprised to see the latter appear on the eShop!

KongFu

KongFu said:

@accc I thought of the same thing when I saw the image. But maybe SEGA is going to announce them during E3... ; )

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

While the Wii U is turning into the Xbox 360 and PS3, seems like the original Wii is turning into a cheaper version of the Neo Geo AES. I'm glad too cuz damn those fighting games were great but the carts were expensive, glad SNK still had support for the original.

Sylvester

Sylvester said:

I can't wait to download Animal Crossing (FINALY!).
I can't also wait for the E3 news tomorrow :D :D :D

Windy

Windy said:

@Donjwolf I do like it alot. To be honest I like the Graphic look better than New Begining and it seems to run smoother. Both games are good I prefer the Tale of Two Towns

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

@Windy
I am glad someone else likes it! I haven't played AnB (and probably won't for a long time) so I can't say which is a better game, but I think ToTT is pretty underrated. I especially love the Trench system which saves a ton of time so you can spend more time with other chores, and I do like the villagers a lot.

timp29

timp29 said:

Still disappointed no megaman X. 3DS virtual console has 4 titles though which is good.

slidecage

slidecage said:

FINGERS CROSSED

Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya comes out in the USA THURSDAY but i highly doubt we see it at all

EDIT on nintendo page USA DOES GET THEM THURSDAY FOR 4 bucks WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo

cant find the other games listed :(

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

I flipped out when I saw Game Gear games in the headline!

...but bummed out when I saw neither of the two I'd like made the list. :(

Pastry

Pastry said:

So excited for Shining Force GG. Apparently it's listed on Nintendo's website as coming out in the US on Thursday. That'll be a midnight purchase for me! Shining Force is one of my favorite games of all time.

DavidH

DavidH said:

Newbie question, what time does the eShop normally update on a Thursday?
I'm in the UK.
Thanks,

slidecage

slidecage said:

Pastry said:

i DONT THINK that is going to be a midnight release is it ?????

i hope it is but i doubt it will come up before noon est

ChaosCrystal

ChaosCrystal said:

Anyone know what time zone Animal Crossing will be released in europe? Don't think it's swedens midnight haha...