Nintendo Download: 16th May (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Spooky starships, retro classics, free scares, juicy discounts and more

It's a dreary Monday morning but fear not, Europe, Nintendo Download salvation is at hand. We now know what treats are coming this week and, we hope you'll agree, it's a pretty strong lineup. Only Wii misses out, and there are new, old and discounted offerings to chew over; let's get to it.

Wii U Virtual Console

Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — This is the US version of the game, with a 60Hz refresh rate. As is well known now, when it comes to the first Super Mario sequel, the West got an entirely different deal than those in Japan. Despite its style being an oddity in the series, this is still a lot of fun and, arguably, provides a template for how Mario can shake things up in the future. Running and jumping is still there, but some levels take plenty of exploring to figure out, while the four playable characters — each with different abilities — and the enemy tossing mechanics stand up rather well. We'll be adventuring through this again on Wii U, but in the meantime you can check out our Wii Virtual Console Super Mario Bros. 2 review.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Capcom, €7.99 / £5.49) — This is the US version of the game, with a 60Hz refresh rate. Capcom's recent promise of 16-bit goodness on the Wii U begins here, with this classic and gruelling action game ready to test your skills and patience in the best possible way. With terrific sprite graphics and classic music to help you along, we suspect this one will make liberal use of the Wii U save state and restore point functionality. We'll review this version, but in the meantime you can check out our glowing recommendation in the Wii Virtual Console Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts review.

Wii U Virtual Console Promotion

Super Metroid (Nintendo, €0.30 / £0.30) — This is the European version of the game, which was optimised originally by the developer to offer gameplay and music speed similar to the US version. The aspect ratio has been corrected for this release. We suspect that this is the Famicom Anniversary promotion that many have been waiting for, as you can pick up one of the finest games to grace the Super NES for less than a packets of crisps. Even if you have this one already, this price is still only one fifth of the normal "upgrade price" from the Wii edition, and is still considered by some to be the definitive Samus Aran adventure. You can read why we think it's a true classic in our Wii Virtual Console Super Metroid review while we work on an updated assessment.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discount

BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Gaijin Games, €8.99 / £8.00 until 30th May, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

Wii U Retail Permanent Reduction

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Namco Bandai, €29.99 / £23.99, was €54.99 / £37.49)

Wii U Retail Demo

Resident Evil Revelations (Capcom, free) — This HD re-release of the highly regarded 3DS title is now just two weeks away, so Capcom's providing a free demo to get you in the mood. This'll take you through the early — and eerie — stages on an abandoned cruise-liner. They're free scares, what's not to like?

3DS eShop

The Starship Damrey (Level-5, €7.99 / £7.19) — After last week's epic psyche-out, the first of the Guild02 titles arrives this week, and it's the adventure/exploration title from Kazuya Asano and Takemaru Abiko. You awaken on the named starship with no memory of who you are or how you came to be there, and you have to explore and figure out your environment without any hints or tips to guide you. It sounds intriguing, and we'll try to remember how to find it on the eShop to bring you our review, soon.

3DS Retail Download

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (Nintendo, €39.99 / £34.99) — Available from 17th May, this Pokémon spin-off series makes its debut on 3DS, giving fans an alternative from catching 'em all or flat out brawling. In parts simplified for a new audience, but in other parts endlessly fulfilling, we gave a strong recommendation to find this one and catch it in our Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity review.

3DS Virtual Console

Mega Man 5 (Capcom, €4.99 / £4.49) — Isn't it about time you buy another NES Mega Man re-release? With the Blue Bomber now starting his assault on the Wii U eShop, we still have the completion of his 3DS roll-out to finish, and we're now approaching the end of this particular run. While fans will argue over the best of the NES classics, we still believe this is a thoroughly excellent game in our Wii Virtual Console Mega Man review. We'll be giving a fresh take on this one on its new portable home very soon.

3DS eShop Temporary Discount

Planet Crashers (UTV Ignition. €6.99 / £6.29 until 30th May, normally €9.99 / £8.99)

DSiWare

Retro Pocket (UFO Interactive, 500 Nintendo Points) — UFO's intention with this title is to provide eight Game & Watch-style games and cause a nostalgia overload. The visuals are right on the money, but in our view the all-important gameplay and addictive nature of the classic Nintendo handhelds is lost; check out our Retro Pocket review for the full lowdown.

A diverse set of downloads this week, and we imagine some retro gamers are particularly happy. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (254 votes)

Super Mario Bros. 2 (Wii U Virtual Console)

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Wii U Virtual Console)

Super Metroid (Wii U Virtual Console Famicom Promotion)

59%

BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Wii U retail download permanent reduction)

The Starship Damrey (3DS eShop)

10%

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (3DS retail download)

Mega Man 5 (3DS Virtual Console)

Planet Crashers (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Retro Pocket (DSiWare)

Just the free demo for me

Nothing for me this week

Please login to vote in this poll.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

YES love this update
MASSIVE improvement over last week, made better by coinciding with a famicom offer week.
Definitely Super Metroid, Super Ghouls n Ghosts and Super Mario Bros. 2 for me.
Definitely will be downloading the revelations demo
Tempted by the decent discount on Tekken aswell.
Hopefully this has set a precident for the rate of quality and quantity on the eshop.

Martyn

Martyn said:

Decent update! Think you got the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon date wrong though, due out on the 17th! :)

Sjoerd

Sjoerd said:

This is going to be an expensive weekend. Super Metroid, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and probably tekken!

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Starship Damrey for me. It' too bad that I don't have a WiiU yet, I'd get Super Metroid ASAP :_(

3DS VC is so sad. One game each week? Really?

antonvaltaz

antonvaltaz said:

Already have Super Metroid, SMB2 and Super Ghouls N Ghosts on the Wii VC, and will be updating all three for gamepad play!

Have the US and European Wii U VC updates all been identical so far?

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

How the hell did somebody vote for 'nothing'???? Super Metroid for 30p!!!??? And if you're super cheap, res evil revelations HD demo for free!!!??

MeWario

MeWario said:

HUGE week! Can't wait :) I have my new shiny Wii U finally so heaps to download for me! Super Metroid duh, plus Runner 2 (which I've been dying to play. Megaman 5 is the last of the series I haven't played, but that might take a week to get to haha

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

This really is a legendary update, my wallet hates you Big N! :-p

Beta

Beta said:

@DESS-M-8 For the Resident Evil demo, maybe that person is a scaredy-cat like me that want some good night beauty sleep that day X_X

@Dazza My wallet began to spit on Nintendo years ago XD

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I'm duty bound to pick up Super Metroid for a mere 30p, it seriously is one of the very best SNES titles ever conceived.

That said, a shame that another week has passed and Cave Story is still nowhere to be seen in Europe.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Wow, awesome week!

I might get all of the Wii U VC titles especially Super Metroid. It's going to be my first time playing this game.

I might buy Runner 2 for that price too.

Revelations Wii U Demo? Will be nice to see how well it plays seeing as I got comfortable with the handheld controls.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

30 cent "Super Metroid"!? Even Mother Brain wouldn't refuse that deal.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Pokémon as that will be free for me (with the "So many games" promotion), Super Metroid and maybe the demo.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

I know its only 30p and it's still 1 of the all time greats regardless but why could they have not just given Europe the US version instead of a 50HZ optimised version and then still going to the bother of fixing the aspect ratio?!I thought after balloon fight they had finally learned but alas!

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I'll be downloading Super Metroid just because it's 30c and the RE Demo just because it's free (even though I hated the 3DS demo.) Other than that, there's nothing to interest me. SMB2 I have on Wii VC, but I won't be upgrading it. Try SMB3 and you've got a deal Nintendo. Good to see some more retail reductions, hopefully first party downloads will be cheaper in the future. Still not happy with Wii U VC though. 2 regular priced games a week is pathetically slow and we need some high profile releases other than SMW and (debatedly) SMB2. As for Runner 2, release it in Australia and I might look into it.

wasf

wasf said:

super metroid and runner 2!

curious 'bout resi demo (already played and enjoyed on 3ds)

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

@DESS-M-8
Perhaps they don't have a Wii U (me, neither) and don't like the handheld offerings (I want starship damrey and I want it four days AGO!!!)

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I may buy Tekken Tag Tournament 2 one day despite not liking fighting games, it has enough special Nintendo features that I will probably quite enjoy it & its cheap.

I would've bought Super Mario Bros. 2 if it had've been the Super Mario All-Stars version. I may pickup Bit.Trip Runner despite no Aus eShop release.

Super Metroid is a definite huge YES! I seriously feel like I'm stealing from Nintendo, its just so awesomely cheap! :D

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Best week since launch but Super Metroid is stopping me spending £9 on Super Ghouls and Ghosts and Mario 2

Kifa

Kifa said:

I already have SM on the Wii VC, but not getting it for that price should be punishable by law. Full stop.

Also the RE:R demo seems to be a no brainer - I wonder how it will compare to the 3DS original screen-to-screen...?

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Tekken tag got a nice drop. At least the eshop is keep up with sales prices better then Microsoft. Defiantly getting Super Metroid but may skip Bit Trip 2 and get the PC version. I rather spend my money on exclusive eshop (or better version) titles.

Plus need to get some money together to pick up Luigi's Mansion which is the last of the retail versions of the promo games to get my free animal crossing.

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Wow, i want all of those VC (Wii U & 3DS) games. i have SMB2 many times already but i love the game and this will be awesome on the gamepad.
Already have Runner 2, but a discount is nice for anyone who hasn't picked it up yet, it's a fantastic game.
Will wait for a review on Starship Damrey.

fluggy

fluggy said:

Ah, the BIG ONE!!! Super Metroid is in my top 5 games of all time (might even be my no. 1!!!) The intro, the upgrades, Ridley, that pesky infuriating quadruple wall jump!! Absolute classic!! Got it on SNES, Wii and my Nexus 7. Might have to just get it on Wii U for the hell of it!!! Resi Rev remake defo not on the agenda. ONM gave it a terribly tepid review. Finished it on 3ds - loved the Zenobia survival horror/hated the sell-out action parts in the offices and bits with those 2 dorks! I'll sample the demo but not holding out much hope!

Jakurdo

Jakurdo said:

You're forgetting one additional golden nugget of content we're getting this week, and it's completely free of charge; the veritable poopstorm on MiiVerse regarding the 50Hz release of Super Metroid. Can't wait :D (while I'm playing Super Metroid, obviously)

CountEkkiM

CountEkkiM said:

great week: super metroid, mega man5, smb2 and resident evil demo.. more stuff like these please!

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

Gonna download most of that.

Disappointed about Super Metroid. 60hz would have made rebuying it on Wii U all the more worth it.

I'm guessing its going to have the annoying German text displayed under the English in-game text like the SNES and Wii versions? -_-

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

well least im in that small % that plans to get mario bros 2 since i never passed it and the RE demo seems good :)

b_willers

b_willers said:

What's the excuse for the PAL version of Super Metroid? There is probably less text than in Super Mario World.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Nothing for me this week. Already played revelations on 3ds and Nintendo can stick their 50hz versions where the sun doesn't shine.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

I can only imagine how bad 50 HZ must look on a 42 inch LCD?!I hope Nintendo Europe get slaughtered for this on MiiVerse and maybe just maybe they will release the US version when it comes to VC.There is no excuse,especially when it comes to 1 of the greatest games ever made.

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

Oooh so many goodies!

Tempted to buy SMB2, not sure if I should wait and see if it comes out on 3DS, it's a game I'd rather have on the go... Speaking of which, Megaman 5! Pleasant surprise.

Super Metroid for 30 cents? What a steal! Super Ghouls n Ghosts? Never beaten it. Would love to. Perfect timing.

And then there's the Revelations demo tomorrow which I'm downloading, no question. Awesome! Great update.

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

I was planning on buying some more credit for my Wii U to buy Runner 2, but it seems that won't be necessary now. Also, never played super metroid.. might as well pick it up now. I've heard some great things about it, so for this price.. I'd be a fool to skip it.

manu0

manu0 said:

Hmm..what's the difference for Super Metroid in 50 Hz when they fixed the speed and aspect ratio?

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

Definitely pick up Tekken, you guys. It's a blast.
I hope the Runner 2 sale comes over to NA as well. I love the Bit.Trip games and have been trying to decide if I want to add another game to my backlog. The sale would definitely push me over the edge!

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

The discount for Bit Trip Runner 2 would make me pick it up in a heartbeat if I owned a Wii U.

rdenton85

rdenton85 said:

damn I want Zelda on GBC.

Also I'm thinking of getting a Wii-U nearer xmas. By paying the extra 30p to get Super Metroid upgraded, will the save data no longer work? I don't mind starting again but I'd like to keep my original save file there if possible.

Kyoto

Kyoto said:

Super Metroid for 30 cents, of course!

The I have a dilemma: Starship Demray or Runner 2? I read many good thing about Runner 2. Should I get it especially now for a discount?

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@Kyoto If you liked the first one, Runner 2 is a no-brainer. But Starship looks veeery intriguing. Brew your coffee at home this week and get both!

Ryno

Ryno said:

Super Metroid for 30 whatever is the best video game deal ever.

HeroOfTime32

HeroOfTime32 said:

I'm actually really pleased to see such a significant price drop on the E-shop for a disc-based retail game..... talkin' to you Tekken Tag Tourney 2!!!

seronja

seronja said:

super metroid for sure! it has been too long since i played it and i never bought it on the virtual console before... i would be mad not to pick this up for that change :D

Windy

Windy said:

If those Megaman games were 3d classics i buy them. Have fun if its your first time they arE great

Netto-kun

Netto-kun said:

Eh, just Super Metroid since I'll wait for a PC BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner 2 sale on Steam.

Sun

Sun said:

Resident Evil Revelations demo first (I loved the 3DS version and will go for the Wii U version as well), Super Metroid second and New Super Mario Bros. 2 as an upgrade (why do you charge me again? You look so stingy Nintendo).

diavu

diavu said:

i'm tempted to get runner 2 and tekken now, i didn't expect the eshop to have decent prices like this.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@b_willers Super Metroid was "translated" the intro has German subtitles and thats about it. Super Mairo world was completely in English in Europe. Thing is I live in a country that does not speak German so has no use for this. Why can't I be given the perfect version? (its a bit unfair to leaves the Germans to suffer but IIRC they can make a Mii, register it to UK and redownload there)

@manu0 Even if its full speed etc its still 50Hz. The Gamepad outputs 60Hz so it repeats every 5th frame making it look jerkier than it should. Likewise the controls are less responsive. In other words if there was no difference between the 50Hz and 60Hz version you would still want the 60Hz version.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Oh boy...that will be an expansive week :D
Its easier to say what i WONT get: Pokemon, Retro Rocket and Planet Crashers (already got it)

Sun

Sun said:

@Starwolf_UK Only thing we can do is download it for 30 cents and complain a lot on Miiverse. It has worked before so let's give it another try.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@ThomasBW84 Can I just point out that Bit Trip is in fact £9.99/£7.50 on sale?
Even Nintendo's own website says it's £10.79 but since the game's launch it has cost £9.99.