Wii U System Update Adds "Stability Improvements"

Posted by Damien McFerran

Don't get too excited

A while back, Nintendo publicly admitted that the Wii U needed a speed boost, and stated that updates were on the way this year which will make games boot faster and generally streamline the user experience.

Today, an 30MB update — version 2.1.3 U — has been pushed to consoles all over the world which offers "further improvements to overall system stability", according to Nintendo. It's not the long-awaited speed update, but it's good to see Nintendo is working so hard on making the console as good as it can be.

Have you downloaded the update yet? Let us know if you notice any differences.

[via polygon.com, eurogamer.net]

Sonomin

Sonomin said:

Yeah, I was thinking that the update just improved stability.. Load times are still there, but the freezing is gone!

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

So, its a speed Update BEFORE the speed update ? I never had any problems regarding the load times of applications, switching between them or freezes for that matter, but its nice to see that nintendo actually adresses some of the problems before and not wait the whole thing out for the mayor update.
Any news when the big update will hit ? Wasnt it labled "spring update" ? Because there is not much spring left :P

MAB

MAB said:

I haven't noticed anything regarding stability because my WiiU has not crashed anyway but it is definitely quicker on the loading tip ;)

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

Possibly related to the Runner 2 crashing problems? Gaijin said yesterday that the problem only affected retail Wii Us and so may not have been their fault.

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

@Einherjar im pretty sure this is the spring update, im guessing the next one in summer will fix the speed issues, not that i think theres much of an issue myself but hey, cant hurt.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I wondered what the update did, doesn't seem any different to me but so far, no crash, which is good (it only ever happened on rare occassions when exiting out of Sonic Racing or Zen Pinball anyway).

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

well nothing new seems to have happen the loading times is the same o.O maybe those connection errors will be gone now?

megamanlink

megamanlink said:

I noticed that there is percentage count to downloads instead of time (well the system update had it). Will see if this is the norm for other updates

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

My wii u is a little faster as far as load times go and runner 2 is not freezing up my wii u anymore... Kool

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Big_L91 But wasnt the WiiU VC supposed to start with the big "spring update" ? Either if got my news wrong or nintendo forgot something there :P

JulienIsTheMan

JulienIsTheMan said:

Mine has done that weird thing where it freezes and makes a weird noise only a couple of times, which is good. I'll be downloading this when I get home today so I don't get it again. Strange, it only happened when I played Nintendo Land.

Sun

Sun said:

I suffer lots of freezing when using Miiverse, it freezes every 10 minutes. Can't wait to check if this solves the issues.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

30 Mb is a small bugfix, not a major OS update. ergo: this is not the spring update

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Well, mine only ever froze during Darksiders 2 anyway and I've finished that.

@Einherjar
Actually, if you live in the northern hemisphere, the traditional date for the first day of spring is the equinox on March 20th. Alternatively, meteorological calenders simplify things into months and, so, the first day of spring is March 1st. Either way, there's a lot more than two weeks left!

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

I hope this will fix the "horn of death" (freezing issue).
I've had NintendoLand, Assassins Creed 3, ZombiU and Miiverse freeze up randomly since launch.
I was especially mad when it froze while I was playing multiplayer AC3 last night.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

I haven't done the update yet, but I hope it fixes the freezing issue. My Miiverse crashes almost every time I'm on there poking around, NSMBU has frozen a few times, as well as Nintendoland, but I hardly play that any more. Sonic Transformed as failed to boot a few times but hasn't froze. Black Ops 2 hasn't had any problems. Scribblenauts has been perfect since day 1. I really could lose hours in Miiverse if it didn't freeze for me constantly.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

When I began using the Wii U, I had occasional freezing when loading different apps, like Miiverse and System Settings, but after the first update after the launch update I haven't had any other issues other than long loading times and some problem with Wi-Fi.
Glad that it helps the freezing issues many still have. I hope this helps with the wireless issues.

SneakyStyle

SneakyStyle said:

Good to see.

Side note, I had a lot of crashs until I changed MiiVerse to 'English Only' then still had crashs, so changed Nintendo land to 'english only visitors' and never crashed since, hopefully this fixes that issue, since it was the #1 crash issue with Nintendoland visitors and english only setting.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

I find it really weird how different and varied problems people have with the Wii U.
I mean, it's the same system, the same versions of the OS (since the updates are mandatory) and the same services.
So how come I haven't had freezing issues since before Christmas?

Jakurdo

Jakurdo said:

From Nintendo's own website:

Version 2.1.3 U available via an Internet connection includes the following improvements:

Further improvements to overall system stability have been made.*

*The previously announced system update, which adds new features and further improvements to the user experience, will be released in April.

So no, this is not the "big spring update" new features and further improvements are about a month away.

Gigagator

Gigagator said:

@Jakurdo Good find.

@Moshugan Yeah, I got a Wii U on release day. Had a few freezing issues (about 3 or 4) in the first month (only while playing Black Ops) and have had none since. I'm not even that bothered about the load times at the moment but it's always nice to see improvements.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Jakurdo - Yeah, beginning of March is not Spring anywhere - end of winter in the northern hemisphere and end of summer in the southern hemisphere. Plus he made a big deal out of it in that Nintendo Direct so 30mb probably isn't it. April was probably always the planned time frame.

Dr_42o

Dr_42o said:

My Runner 2 no longer freezes upon exiting. However, on Miiverse, people are reporting that they are still experiencing the problem.

real_gamer

real_gamer said:

I hated those random freeze times, especially when I was trying to show my cousin what the Wii U was all about! Talked about great timing when showing off the system.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I have received the update. While I have very little trouble with my Wii U, it's good to know that it is even more stable.

BrightBeing

BrightBeing said:

Oddly, all my freezes seem to happen in the YouTube app and Hulu. Never had a freeze in MiiVerse, although I did have a freeze or two in AC3 and Sonic Racing. Nothing too annoying for the games, but the Hulu and Youtube freezes were pretty frequent.

JAPBOO

JAPBOO said:

this is a different note not sure if i can bring it here, does anyone know if ubi will actually release the patch for zombie u?

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

l will have to test it out since I usually only get a frozen wiiu during long play sessions

Emaan

Emaan said:

I'll be downloading this once I get home.
Hoping it fixes some of the issues I've been having with Miiverse and the eShop.

JSuede

JSuede said:

The only time I had freezing problems was that BTRunner 2 bug. I haven't played it since the update, but if it's fixed....cool. I am always a little apprehensive about having to unplug a new console because it locks up.

I was having some super weird gamepad connection issues while trying to download the update though. I had to sit less than a foot away (normally I'm about 6') in order for it to work...and even then it was choppy. I usually never have a problem so it was a bit worrying.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

@WingedFish Or anywhere else in the northern hemisphere for that matter.

My Wii U usually only crashes when I play Scribblenauts with more than one player. The more players the more likely it is to crash.

Peppy_Hare

Peppy_Hare said:

I get flickering horizontal lines running across my screen whenever I use component cables on my WiiU. They come and go. Got a replacement system from Nintendo and it does it too! It's extremely frustrating! HDMI out does not produce the same problem. It even does it on my other television. Maybe this update will help.

jorgy483

jorgy483 said:

Freezing on my system has diminished a lot, but it still happens occasionaly. This for me was/is my biggest issue with the Wii U console itself. I don't mind the load times, but I do mind getting up every 20 min. to unplug the Wii.

Rod64

Rod64 said:

If I get the Wii U in June, will I have to do a million updates all at once? :P

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

@UnrealDan : Open system settings, in there is an update button (go right, or select the small icon that's second from the right) and perform update.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

"Improved stability" = Anti-Piracy Claptrap. (Actually: improved database on the most feared means of piracy.)

Move along, nothin' to see here.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

@antipop621 ''Will my console turn on more than 10% of the time now?''
Ah um... you should maybe, like, take the console back to the store you bought it?
I assume you got a one year guarantee for it?