UK Gamers Rate Wii As "Best Ever" Console

Posted by Damien McFerran

2,000 GAME customers cast their vote

A survey of GAME customers in the United Kingdom has revealed that the general public rates the Wii as the world's best ever console.

The high street chain quizzed 2,000 of its customers to obtain the information, and the Wii claimed 15% of the total vote. The Super Nintendo was the next most popular Nintendo system, with 6% of the vote. The Game Boy (5%), N64 (4.5%) and Nintendo DS (10%) took up places 8, 9 and 10 respectively. The NES, GameCube, Wii U and 3DS didn't make the top ten.

Here's the full list:

1. Wii (15%)
2. Xbox 360 (10%)
3. PlayStation 3 (9%)
4. PlayStation 2 (8%)
5. Sega Mega Drive (7%)
6. PlayStation 1 (6.5%)
7. Super Nintendo (6%)
8. Game Boy (5%)
9. N64 (4.5%)
10. Nintendo DS (4%)

Do you rate the Wii as your number one system? Let us know by posting a comment below.

[via mcvuk.com]

iMarkU

iMarkU said:

I agree. We got some of the best games of this generation and in Nintendoi history on the Wii.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

The only people that shop in game are the same sort of people that buy all that shovel ware that the Wii was plagued with so no surprise. Bit of a misleading headline.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Wii, but it's probably had less great games than any of Nintendo's prior consoles.

KodaSmooss

KodaSmooss said:

Haha, the fact that the 3 current consoles are "the top 3" shows that customers are mostly familiar with those 3 consoles.

My vote goes to the Super Nintendo: huge number of games in almost every category, great gamepad, games still look pretty nice (compared to the NES or N64).

MeWario

MeWario said:

Hmm what a weird list haha I woulda thought it would read Playstation 2, Gameboy, Xbox 360

fullyilly

fullyilly said:

Lets change the headline to...

'2,000 MUMS cast their vote'

...as lets be honest, its pretty much only mums and grandparents that shop in store at GAME.

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

doesnt seem very accurate to me cant see 360 or ps3 being the 2nd and 3rd best consoles ever or even wii being first to be honest. id have expected super nintendo or megadrive.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

The Wii also doubles as a Gamecube so deserves to be high up there! It's also one of the most recognisable gaming brands of all time. Everyone including old people know what a Wii and a Wii remote is whereas most other consoles will just look like a console to a non gaming consumer.

Lin1876

Lin1876 said:

No. I love the Wii, don't get me wrong, but I have to put the N64 and SNES further up the list. I don't think we'll remember too many Wii games in 10-20 years, put it that way.

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

This is obviously going to be an unfair survey, isn't it? Many of GAME's customers won't have been around for the NES era, and the previous generation would have many consumers seeing their first home console. Not to mention it will be the freshest in their minds.

So, obviously a pointless exercise in my book.

CountEkkiM

CountEkkiM said:

funny that wiiu isnt top ten cause it includes wii system inside.. :P wiiu just need all wii vc games and many many more missing classics.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

In many ways, it most certainly was and i've played the vast majority of consoles on that list above. :)

Crouteru

Crouteru said:

I wouldn't call it the best, but in terms of content, it had some great exclusive games, could play any Gamecube game and offered downloads for NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, etc. games from the Virtual Console. That's a lot of gameplay.

1wiierdguy

1wiierdguy said:

When you add Gamecube, WiiWare, and Virtual Console to the Wii's own library I'd say its pretty deserving of top spot.

rmqkr

rmqkr said:

I have to agree with this. It's intuitive, low power, has tons of games like people mentioned, it's fast. Lots of control options. It really is the best. Third party general support is meaningless really, in a console that had so many great first party titles and some exclusive great third party efforts. It might be the same situation with the Wii U, only in HD and with the new controller.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

If you had to say 'what is the most memorable console', then it is the Wii.

Because the PS1 is ridiculously lot like the PS2, which is ridiculously a lot like the PS3, which is almost identical to Xboxes. I can't remember which system Wipeout or Destruction Derby or Crash Bandicoot was on, but I do remember Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart were on the Wii.

And the consoles older than kids over 10 discounts them from the list.

The best however is the SNES, as it was a revised improved version of the NES which was pretty damn good for starters.

GazPlant

GazPlant said:

2000 people does not make a survey... At least not a good one anyway

For me it would be SNES

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Personally my favourite gaming console is the Wii. It can play all of my most favourite games through discs, WiiWare or Virtual Console. Second is the N64 & third is probably the PS2. I love my Wii U too but I haven't had enough time with it to rank it just yet.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Were these the same people that voted The Spice Girls best Brit band ever?

rjejr

rjejr said:

The PS2 is my #1 going away, and the Dreamcast is my #2 just slightly ahead of the PS1 (how is the Dreamcast not in the Top 10?) so I guess it's no surprise I don't own a Wii U yet and I've never shopped at Game.

I bet if you ask these people their favorite game franchise of all time it's Just Dance or Wii Fit or Zumba. So basically the Wii is the #1 game console for people who DON'T play video games ;-)

cuba444

cuba444 said:

Definetely Wii U
It is Wii and awesomeness together, far better than the wii

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

It was an important console for the whole industry and while having some good 3D games also brought back a good amount of 2D platforming to the mainstream.
Second best Ninty console behind the SNES for me.

Haywired

Haywired said:

I knew before clicking on the article that the top 3 would be the 3 current gen consoles. Polling the general public on things like this is pointless because most of them just put the most recent thing without even thinking about it.

Anyway, for me it's the SNES.

Rekiotsu

Rekiotsu said:

I have to agree. Wii is my personal favorite console currently. Mostly for it's awesome games, but also Wii was the first console ever which I bought myself, so there is some special emotional value included.

Kirk

Kirk said:

This is just wrong in so many ways and is clearly just based on what console is currently most well known among the casual masses at this point in time and little else.

I'd put SNES at the top of the list personally because despite there being newer, more powerful and more feature extensive consoles in this day and age, they SNES is pretty much the only console I've ever owned where I could basically find absolutely no things about it I didn't like and there were really no areas at all in which it failed to deliver at the time based on what gamers expected from it relative to that time, be it the first party games, third party games, graphics, sound, the hardware design, it's controller, the price...

Anyhoo...being currently popular and known among the casuals masses does not equal the best console ever. Not by a long way.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

CORRECTION: The DS has only 4% of the vote, not 10% as it's first introduced in the text.

My choice for best console would be the PS2.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I have played extensively just about every major game system since the Atari 2600, and I would say the Wii is my favorite. There are a LOT of top-notch exclusives, plus the Virtual Console allowing me to have so many classics on one system is incredible.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

It is a great system and people who don't normally play games are aware of it. But you wouldn't want to mind these polls especially when you see the Mega-drive finish above the SNES :) Looking back at the Wii, it is an amazing system.

SteveW

SteveW said:

Wow, that's ridicilous, I agree with the Wii being number 1 but where is the NES? even Gameboy beat it.

Budsanchez

Budsanchez said:

Super Nintendo all the way (with a honourable mention for PS2 and an unconditional love for NES)

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

What? Come on, I'm not hating on the Wii, but Nintendo has been much better than that. I'll personally choose the SNES as best console and 3DS as best portable.

Omega

Omega said:

The Wii has plenty of good games.

And the fact that the Wii has 400 Virtual Console games (with manuals unlike the games on these classic collections!) makes it a haven for old school at heart gamers like myself.

Especially because it has games from systems that never officially made it to Europe like the PC-Engine/Turbografx or NeoGeo.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

this is actually brilliant news for the Wii brand - I thought the public didn't like the Wii anymore.
Makes me feel like Wii Fit U could be a massive system seller, and I think it's out soon - the box art's already on the Nintendo UK website!

VolcanoFlames

VolcanoFlames said:

Wow! To be honest, I thought it will be all PS3 and 360, but it's the Wii.
When it comes to things like this, I always think of GameCube. Don't know why!

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

I agree with wii being the absolute overall best console in video game history so far. The amount of AAA quality titles on the little system are just to great to be compared by any other competing company.

Tertis

Tertis said:

Eventually, the people that grew up with the Wii will be browsing online websites and getting angry at the current consoles getting the top spot.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Not much of a survey, this thing reeks of popularity contest.

In terms of overall features the Wii is definitely the best console, no console can hope to match the potentially vast library of quality games that thing can play. But speaking strictly about the console with the best library of its own games, I'd say the SNES followed by the PS2 and GC are the best.

Emaan

Emaan said:

The Wii is great, but Super Nintendo will always be the very best (that no one ever was) :cue Pokemon theme song: :p

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Wii is a great console but it's not even the best of its generation (360 and PS3 both have better overall libraries) let alone best ever.

@ajcismo
LOL, I'd imagine so.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Snes all the way, followed by ps2 for me.
The snes was Nintendo at their ass kicking best and is still sexy as hell today. I wish they were still that awesome today

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Genuinly surprised and delighted at this result.

Of course, I can imagine the knee-jerk reaction by the internet. Wii is for teh cazuals and all that.

Instead, I'm going to focus on WHY is was voted no.1. The Wii helped change the gaming landscape by embracing the expanded audience, and became a social phenomenon. Despite being vastly underpowered compared to the PS3 & Xbox 360, Nintendo's bold innovation paid-off in a big way, as more people were introduced to videogames thanks to the humble Wiimote.

It always warmed the cockles of my heart whenever I read a story about someone suffering from a disability or injury being able to play games again thanks to Nintendo's magic motion controlled wand.

Also, let's not forget the tons of great games released for the console (contrary to popular belief); such as Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, NSMBW, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Other M, The Last Story, Monster Hunter Tri, Pandora's Tower & Wii Fit.

Oh, and Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. The highest rated games of the last 13 years. Those too.

Like the GCN, I'm more than willing to bet that the Wii will begin to develop a cult following in a few years' time. 'Hardcore' gamers are hypocrites like that.

vio

vio said:

Well said Kage. People do not give Wii the credit it deserves. Often all you hear on the internet is how it was underpowered, the motion controls were a "gimmick" and got old or the system was a wasteland of shovelware. This system got 3 excellent Mario games in it's lifespan for god sakes! The only other console that managed to do that was the NES. Virtual Console and WiiWare added so much to the system as well.

The SNES is still the best console ever made IMO though. I don't think that will ever change.

Faruko

Faruko said:

Its a great console no argument that, and it did manage to get the gaming to the masses wich its impressive... so in that point it may be the most "important" console ever (though i would still give that to the NES for "reviving" the gaming market)

BUT THE BEST ? Seriously, was the SNES never released in the UK ?

EDIT: but i do have to say that the Virtual Console was worth the console alone

dcast2

dcast2 said:

The Wii has many exclusives that are some of the best games of the past 6 years: Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Zelda:SS, DKCR, Metriod Prime Trilogy, Wii Sports Resort, Super Paper Mario, Boom Blox:Bash Party, Zack and Wiki, Last Story, Punch Out, Xenoblade, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Little King Story, Super Smash Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, NSMB Wii, Rythym Heaven Fever, Sonic Colors, Muramasa, Red Steel 2, Okami motion remake, Monster Hunter Tri, Wario Ware:SM, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, Fire Emblem: RD, Excite Truck/Bots, RE 4 motion control remake, etc.
The Wii has the two most innovative hardware options of the past 6 years: motion control and the balance board.
The Wii brought millions of Atari and NES kids back to gaming as adults (I am one of them).
The Wii is a Gamecube that plays it's entire library.
The Wii has hundreds of classic NES, Sega, SNES, Neo Geo, C64, N64 games most of which are not available to download on other consoles.
If you could only own one console and want to have the ability to play the most great games, the Wii is clearly the best choice. That is why to this point in time, the Wii is the greatest console ever.