Rhythm Hunter: HarmoKnight's US Price Is Revealed

Posted by Martin Watts

Better start saving those pennies now

A listing for Rhythm Hunter: HarmoKnight has appeared on the US 3DS eShop, suggesting that the title will go on sale for $14.99 when it releases next month.

The rhythm platforming game, developed by Game Freak (famous for the Pokémon games), is a download-only title for the system. While the US price point may seem a little steep for a non-retail title, it's important to note that when it was released in Japan last year, it cost a whopping 1800 yen ($19.40). By comparison, US 3DS owners are getting a pretty good deal.

HarmoKnight will be available to download from 28th March in North America. A specific release date for Europe has not yet been announced.

Do you think $14.99 sounds about right for a game like HarmoKnight? Should there be a price limit on download-only games? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.

[via gonintendo.com]

accc

accc said:

15 bucks is an acceptable price for me... I was expecting $20 based on the Japanese price.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

If it has the content to match the price, sure it's a fair price. But I guess we'll only see that when the reviews come in.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Seems like a fair price to me. Really looking forward to this. :D

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

It'll be interesting to see how much this'll be in the UK,but pretty good price for the US.

LordessMeep

LordessMeep said:

YES. Finally, a price reveal.. looks like I'll be able to afford some of the FE:A's DLC aside from this title :3. Considering the amount of content HarmoKnight boasts, this feels like a decent deal.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

The game looks great so the price is reasonable. I don't think there should be a limit on what companies charge, as long as it represents value, and they are sensible about it then that's fair enough! I'm hoping for £12.99 in the UK although I'm expecting £14.99.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

It's a fair price to me but now I feel like another "BooHoo Nintendo overprices they're eShop games!" Thread will start because of this...

WesCash

WesCash said:

I won't pay that much for a download title until Nintendo gets its act together and establishes an account based system.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Thanks for jacking up the price, Nintendo. Makes the purchasing decision making easy for me. ;)

Millenia

Millenia said:

When people complain about prices of games, it does not seem like they take in to consideration the amount of work and effort that many people put in to it. $15 is definitely a fair price, and I am very excited.

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

I'm definitely up for that! This looks like it's going to be a blast!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

The demo will tell us if its worth it really you pay for fun. With that said I'm going to wait for a sale as there is just too much I'm looking forward to just in the month of March. I really don't know what warrants the highest price on the eshop for this game. By highest I mean eshop only game. By game I'm not talking about that lame pokedex pro either

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm going to be buying an eShop card soon to mainly get this game. The high price doesn't surprise me one bit considering Japan's price, but thankfully it's lower than their's. Hopefully a high price means a high value.

Shiromikio

Shiromikio said:

Agreed with others who said "the right price" depends on content and experience.
That said, I was planning to pick it up and was expecting a $39 game like Theatrhythm, so the price point sounds good at the moment, providing they don't overdo DLC (if any).

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

the only difference between this and a lower price point is that i'm more likely to wait for a review or other people's impressions of the game before picking it up. the price doesn't bother me, but I'll want to make absolutely sure that I'll enjoy this game before I buy it now. no big! :3

ktribal

ktribal said:

Oooh, 15$ for this is actually attainable for me, to be honest. I was considering getting it before (when I was expecting a 40$ USD a la Theatrhythm) but now I am most like getting it. :) I'm really glad there's a demo. Hopefully you good people at NL will have a review of the game asap, I'm very interested in the replay value in this. :)

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

How much content is there? That's the big question. $15 seems pretty steep for a digital download at this moment. Need to know more about it. Not enough to go by.

NImH

NImH said:

Well if Gamefreak pulls off another platformer as rad as Drill Dozer, it's most definitely worth at least $15.
I've been looking forward to this for a while now.

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Well, I doubt I'm getting it(still might though) because there are a ton of other games coming out this year I'm getting. But good to know it isn't $20.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Good thing there's a demo coming for this, for that price, i'll see if it's worth it (which will probably be worth it)

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Download only titles can even cost 100$ as long as they have contenent that justify such price XP

About Harmoknight it tempt me a lot... and for be honest all music/rhythm games tempt me a lot!!! Too bad I really s**k at them XD

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

For a game so promising (the only footage I've seen so far is enough to say it's gonna be good), I was bracing for impact. And I'm glad I did, given the hefty price tag for the Pokédex 3D Pro kind of was the last time a game's price would catch me off guard.

Alas, I could still wait for a sale.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Well, seeing as how Bit Trip Runner 2 is $15, Little Inferno was $15, and Chasing Aurora is $15, I don't think its really a problem, especially considering its pedigree. Of course I'd love to get it cheaper, but right now $15 doesn't seem outrageous. I'll wait for some reviews before actually investing that much though.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

At first it was going to be an impulse buy for 10$ or less, but now I'll just wait for reviews

ohhaime

ohhaime said:

I was hoping it would be around $10 but I'll still buy it at $15. It look like it has a good amount of content.

Fillytase

Fillytase said:

@TrueWiiMaster Chasing Aurora was just overpriced, seeing as there are only 2 game modes, and the gameplay never evolves into anything more complex or engaging. Little Inferno arguably was fairly priced because it at least offered clever writing and themes and a dark atmosphere. Haven't played Runner2.

A for HarmoKnight... it looks WAY too simple for the price they're asking (based on videos I've seen).

CazTheGamerGuy

CazTheGamerGuy said:

Considering the Japanese conversion is around 18$, i'd say it's a better deal than they got. Still, that puts Risky's Revenge to shame in terms of pricing.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

That's cheap! I thought it would be a lot more! See? This is a reasonable price and I was getting this game regardless of price. But that Pokedex 3D Pro thing which I think is the same price... I don't agree with it. That should be discounted. Right? Right?? Right???

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

This seems like a good price. People love their rhythm runner games nowadays, and the world map makes it seem like a really FULL game.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Eh, kinda figured it'll cost this much...would be pretty cool if GameFreak continued the series and made a full-retail sequel at some point. :3

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

$15 will not stop me from purchasing this, it's a little cheaper than I expected too.

bluecat

bluecat said:

I was hoping for $10, but I think I'm OK with $15. It really depends on how much content there is.

Azikira

Azikira said:

It looks like a fun game, and I am very willing to drop $15 for Gamefreak.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

Ooh... this rhythm thief's a little bummed out. But regardless of what OTHER games go for, I know I'll log many fun hours on Harmoknight, and I don't mind paying a little more for quality. (Hear that? Go out and buy the most expensive copy of Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure you can find!)

Buob

Buob said:

HarmoKnight is a really good game and I seriously recommend it. I haven't played it much, but it's still fun and charming. That's just my opinion though, take it as you will.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

The price of a game should solely be determined by if it feels worth it. I really want this game, so the price is acceptable to me.

Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion, on the other hand, was daylight robbery.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'd have to agree with some of the other commenters. I want to play this game so I am perfectly fine with paying $15 for it. I look forward to the upcoming demo on the Eshop!

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

The price may be a bit high, but if it has the quality and content of a retail game then I don't see the problem. I'm positive there will be more than enough content to justify the premium price.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I think $15 is a fair price, after all thats what digital only games on other platforms usually go for. Besides, I think its safe to assume theres enough there to make it worth while coming from Game Freak.

I'm gonna wait for the demo though, to be sure I actually like it before forking over the cash for it.

Zhanglot

Zhanglot said:

Holy crap, was not expecting this. Though, when I first saw the trailer for this, it did look like a full retail game. Well, I need to buy some more eshop credit anyways, 'cause FEA DLC is driving me broke. I think I will get this game, provided it has enough content to warrant its price. I enjoy music games and I have faith in gamefreak.

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

Seems expensive, hopefully the content will justify the price. I know I'll be downloading this eventually, but a sale would make it more appealing.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

It looks fantastic in trailers and for the amount of levels they announced the price sounds justified.

Windy

Windy said:

The game looks great and very professional. im sure it will be worth the 15 dollars. reminds me of adventure island from the TurboGrafx so Im buying! I still prefer cartridge over digital but it wont be long now everything will be digital.

Henmii

Henmii said:

15 Dollar is a awful price! If it will be 15 Euro in Europe, then I might wait for a price-cut!