Project X Zone Localisation Will Keep The Japanese Voice Track

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Dig out your reading glasses

After a full-on day of Wii U focus thanks the Wii U Direct, let's give some love to 3DS and one of its hottest games due to arrive this summer. With Namco Bandai recently confirming its localisation, there are certainly a number of gamers looking forward to some RPG mash-up action in the upcoming Project X Zone; based on comments from Namco Bandai, we have strong hopes of the full, authentic experience making it West.

As reported by Siliconera, Namco Bandai has told the site that the Western release will ship with the original Japanese voice track accompanied by subtitles, with confirmation that the exact same characters will make the move outside of Japan. Namco Bandai also stated that the content of the game "should [be] the same as the Japanese version", which is to be expected.

While notable examples such as Wii classic Xenoblade Chronicles include both an English voice track as well as the Japanese original, perhaps it's an expense that Namco Bandai would rather avoid. Nintendo gamers — especially those with a fondness for The Legend of Zelda — shouldn't be unfamiliar with doing a lot of reading, and as the game is actually arriving outside of Japan, maybe we should just be grateful for subtitles.

What are your thoughts? Would you rather have listened to a new voice track in your native tongue, or are you happy enough to read subtitles? Let us know, as always, in the comments section below.

[via siliconera.com, pocketgamer.co.uk]

BenAV

BenAV said:

I was kind of expecting this.
The game does have a lot of characters, so it would have required quite a lot of effort I'd imagine.
English would have been nice, but it's no big problem.
Sure didn't hinder my enjoyment of Virtue's Last Reward that the PAL version had Japanese voices.

ilovegaming

ilovegaming said:

I don't mind subtitles at all, I actually think I prefer them. Anyway, buying this as soon as it releases!

Budsanchez

Budsanchez said:

Reading subtitles are fine, I prefer a good japanese voice-track than a crappy english one... Anyway, this is so unexpected and such a good news that this game is localised that as long as it's making its way out of Japan, I'm fine with anything that would allow me to play this game! Put on a old korean local language voice track if you want, I'm still buying this :)

Bankai

Bankai said:

Oh thank goodness, I don't have to have English dubs ruin the game.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

i dont really like most voice overs and dont mind a bit of reading.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Good work guys, know your audience. An English dub usually means "broaden the game's appeal", but get real, this is a game for people who already want this game. It'd be nice to have an option, but a lot of folks (including me) want this game in all it's original glory.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I would of like having English dub but I guess it would of been expensive and troublesome for them to find the original voice actor for some series known in NA and new one for those that are new and not well known.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

Don't mind at all. It reminds me of a One Piece game I once saw. If they need to cut costs on VOICE ACTING, it doesn't matter! All I care about is the gameplay. :)

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Ideally I would like an English dub, but after poor sales in Japan I don't blame Namco for trying to save money, I'm just happy were actually getting this game!

Nintendawg

Nintendawg said:

I hate japanese voice acting, it's always so over the top, but there will probably be mostly grunts and shrieks involved, rather than dialogue, haha so it doesn't really matter. At least I'll get a few laughs while playing! :)

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I don't mind, getting a game in Japanese is better than getting no game at all. Would have preferred an English dub, but whatever

Rapido

Rapido said:

dubbing it in english is futile. Jap voice out is always better in the fighting genre.

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

you guys have no idea how BAD GERMAN voiceovers are... Im glad its like this. Should ALWAYS be native tongue + engish subs, no matter what game!

Rapido

Rapido said:

@Scollurio Really? Haha. Yep, Native Tongue + English Sub = Proven Formula. But there are always games that be can dubbed in english and will turn out real good.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

No problem, afterall the original japanese voices will just add an extra Anime feeling to the game!
I only really dislike when they completly remove the original voices and leave as only choice the dubs, so really glad this isn't going to be the case :)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Wouldn't want it any other way, though I'm gonna miss Troy Baker's Sexy voice for Yuri Lowell...

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

That's fine with me, it'll be just like Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and Frank West won't speak English, but in Japanese this time, but that won't stop me from using him.

Untitled

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

I just hope that they don't miss a translation. I don't want some Japanese text showing up, then back to English.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Would have been a terrible dub anyway so im glad, english dubs are always 90 percent terrible anyway.
Well done namco bandai

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

As long as their subtitles, I'm all for it. Just have to get through Jan and Feb and then the game start rolling for both 3DS and Wii U.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I enjoy playing games like Muramasa which only had Japanese voice work and English sub so this being the same thing isn't a big issue.

Knux

Knux said:

When you have watched as much anime as I have, subtitles are more than welcomed.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wow so doesn't that basically guarantee this game as eShop only or really limited retail release? I thought the major retailers wouldn't stock a game if it didn't come with an english dub? Hope I'm wrong!

SDDMN

SDDMN said:

Not a problem Namco, I'm used to hearing japanese voices and reading english subtitles.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I quite like the quirky Japanese voice audios on One Piece Gigant Battle DS (EU version). Yeah, I'm happy with that.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Virtue's Last Reward's audio quality (on the 3DS, that is) suffered in America, because our copies had both English and Japanese. The audio quality, while acceptable, sounded very tinny and compressed. How was it over there in the UK, guys? I know you guys had the Japanese track, but how was the quality?

Anyway, maybe the audio quality in PXZ will sound better because it only has just one language. Or maybe I'm totally wrong, which wouldn't be the first time. :P We'll see. But to be more relevant: no skin off my nose! I'm well-versed in reading English subtitles.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Seems fine to me. Are there cutscenes in this game by the way? I mean, if its just like battle cries and such its not a big deal. Similar to Street Fighter. I usually prefer the Japanese voices in games like this anyways.

9-Volt

9-Volt said:

ZEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH! I don't care if it has no english voice. Just don't let the subtitles zoom by.

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

Good. I don't want to have to listen to our stupid language anymore than I have to.

RightHemisphereG

RightHemisphereG said:

Be sure to Give use ajustable subtitle scrolling speeds.
-this great it means the sound affects will be not affected with.

Derpzilla

Derpzilla said:

Wow. All you people saying that this game is better off without an English dub track because it sucks don't know jack about good voice acting. I'd really like to see you go out there and make money and do a better job.

Honestly, the only real reason why you guys like generic Japanese voices is because you don't understand anything that is being said which apparently sounds better to you.

Not only that, but refusing to include an English track is beyond lazy and alienates fans of these franchises which could hurt the sales of this game when it's released this summer.

Besides, if I wanted to read I'd pick up a book, not my 3DS. And you guys also don't understand that a lot of people suffer from dyslexia and have trouble reading a bunch of stupid text on a screen. Again, this alienates fans.

All I gotta say is I'm disappointed in Namco Bandai once again. First they mess up DBZ, then Soul Calibur, now this.

Tindre

Tindre said:

yesssssssssss <3
Ah now I really want to buy it on release, .... and I will! XD

Tindre

Tindre said:

@Derpzilla ................ wat
no? I have learnt some Japanese at university, and also by now I understand a lot of spoken Japanese, and dude, seriously, they know voiceacting. They're not afraid to scream or go all in when they do. Lately dubs have picked up too, but watch early anime dubs in english and then in japanese and you'll see.

"I'm pretty certain that to a Japanese viewer or someone who is fluent in the language can tell you that 99.9% of the time the acting sucks, which is why in Japan most anime fans prefer to listen to the dub instead because the acting is miles better."
Where do you get your numbers?

I have grown up in scandinavia and all movies here are subtitled, not dubbed (luckily.......)
It doesn't ruin the movie at all, you don't even think about it when you read them (unless you think about it ofc, then youre screwed)
In my opinion, the material should be enjoyed in it's original form. So this is great!
You could say that having only voices and no subtitles would be alienating deaf people. Or having an english dub would alienate all the people who don't speak english....
So yeah..