20 Extra Mutant Mudds Levels on The Way to eShop For Free

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Oh, and Renegade Kid is now an approved Wii U developer

Mutant Mudds, a stylish retro platformer from Renegade Kid, is one of the top titles on the 3DS eShop. It's got plenty of content for those with the skills and patience, but some of you may know that the PC version has an extra 20 'Grannie' levels, which are particularly challenging stages that require the OAP to use multiple power-ups at once. Well, those levels are coming to the eShop as a free update.

The news was dropped rather casually into a blog post by Jools Watsham, the man behind the game, who was emphasising the need to get the title approved for the Steam distribution service on PC. Watsham explains that Steam can be a major source of revenue, and that he wants the PC version of Mutant Mudds to succeed so that he can direct his attention to games for the 3DS and Wii U eShop. The fact that Renegade Kid is now approved as a Wii U developer was also confirmed in the blog post.

Porting Mutant Mudds to the PC, and selling it on Steam, has the potential of bringing some much needed funds into Renegade Kid, which will go straight into the development of new games. As we’re being perfectly – and frankly – honest here; I would like to put the majority of our future development efforts into the 3DS eShop and Wii U eShop titles (we’re authorized Wii U developers now btw – excite!).

It's great news that extra content will eventually arrive for Mutant Mudds on eShop for free, similar to WayForward's Mighty Switch Force, and that Renegade Kid is so committed to digital games on both 3DS and Wii U. If you want to give Mutant Mudds a thumbs up to support its quest for Steam approval, just follow this link.

So, just how excited are you about extra Mutant Mudds levels, and the prospect of Renegade Kid developing for Wii U?

[via joolswatsham.blogspot.co.uk, eurogamer.net]

Fabian

Fabian said:

That is what a good developer should do
not like Square Enix that wants to have money for each new Theathrhythm song

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I haven't gotten around to buying the original yet, so I'll have 20 more levels when I pick it up.

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

@Fabian

I know right! It's not like it costs them anything to put everything together! At least these Mutant mudd levels already exist.

I for one don't mind paying for extra content.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Very cool, I beat Mutant Mudds three times over 100%, and even played the demo afterwards.

20 extra levels eh? Is that gonna be 10 standard levels with 10 secret levels within?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@RupeeClock I believe they're 20 new levels where you play as Grannie. I think on the PC you may find them in existing stages, but on 3DS they may be given their own section, as it'll probably be easier to update that way.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

@ThomasBW84
Actually I think I heard about that.
The new levels have to take advantage of Grannie's access to all three power ups, and they are not designed with Game Boy or Virtual Boy colour palettes, but instead other systems.
I think one of them was MSX?

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

I never got around to finishing this game even once. I have shamed platforming gamers everywhere.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@RupeeClock I believe you're right :)

It may be similar to Mighty Switch Force, in that they'll unlock depending on how far you've progressed in your save file. Either way, I'm looking forward to playing them!

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

Great, this is one of my favourite eShop titles. It's very good they do this.
And the day i'm getting a Wii U (whenever that may be) i'm sure there'll be a Renegade Kid title i'll download. :)

Adhrast

Adhrast said:

Renegade Kid is a pretty cool guy. He gives free DLC and doesn't afraid of anything.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I avoided buying this game due to high price & alleged short length of game but I'd definitely buy upon the release of the extra levels :D

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

These levels will appear just as they do in the PC release. There will still be the secret levels doors, but these CGA-themed Grannie levels have their own doors also hidden within each level. And some are very tricky to reach. Plus you guys gotta play them, since I designed 10 of the Grannie levels. :D

Bucho

Bucho said:

waaah i'm only 24/40 on the current levels :( need to apply myself to this for realz before the new leves arrive! i love how challenging this game is.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

cool, but I think they should add a endless mode and maybe a online leaderboard for that, I would be playing that game all the time then.

KAHN

KAHN said:

got all the upgrades, beat one of the special four levels. my body is partially ready!

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

YES! This is good news, indeed! This is the only eShopgame i own (a friend of mine bought it for me since i don't have a credit card) and while it can get pretty frustrating, it is really, really polished. More levels? In my Mutant Mudds i already own and have beat? YES! Way to revive a game!

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

This makes me wonder what the Nintendo policy in place for the eShop are like when it comes to extra content, especially considering that developers have been putting up the content for the low, low cost of free.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

I will never understand the "zomg its 2 hard" stance on this game. I know difficulty is subjective, but still, this game is NOTHING when compared to other eShop games like VVVVVV (10-to-1 in terms of difficulty), Dillon's Rolling Western, Pyramids, hell even Sakura Samurai on Hard was tougher and I considered that a cakewalk if you bought the Invincibility Robe.

Anyways, yeah, this game is seriously overrated and has some flaws, but I still enjoyed it enough to finish it, and maybe the bonus levels will be better.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I didn't know there was a PC version, and that it did have 20 extra levels! And now they are also coming to the 3DS as a free update! That's great news! And now they also develop for Wii u?! That's also great!

20 REALLY hard levels?! And I thought the normal levels where hard! I have yet to 100% complete it!

@Corbs,

So you made half of the extra levels? Does this mean you work for Renegade, or was there a design contest? Anyway, looking forward to it!

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

I'm very happy about this! I love Mutant Mudds. Funnily enough, one of my best friends bears a strong resemblance to that MM kid.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I know what I'm going to beat tonight! Gotta prepare for those extra levels! Especially since I haven't gotten to half of the hidden worlds...

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

Free DLC is good! :D

but in the future I would put a price in future DLC, which I am sure will happen

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It is interesting that small devs such as RK and WayForward give free DLC, while huge companies like Capcom and Square Enix charge for their stuff. You would be led to believe that small companies need the extra money and the big ones could take the hit. But of course, it is the other way around. Thankfully, this builds loyalty for Renegade Kid, so they get more support.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Man that is crazy good news! I loved Mutant Mudds (particularly the later, harder levels) so much that I would have payed for extra content. And doubley great news to hear that Renegade Kid are keen to keep focusing on 3DS and WiiU. Sweet =)

luminalace

luminalace said:

Awesome news...great getting extra stuff for free. I hope RK eventually get around to making a sequel to MM too.

baba_944

baba_944 said:

Cool! I love Mutant Mudds. Favorite downloadable 3DS game next to Mario Vs. Donkey Minis March Again.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Just. Plain. Kickinest. Awesome! :)

I gotta d/l the game. I already wanted it, but now I'd like to get it also for supporting RK giving free updates to their title. I can understand paying for updates sometimes, but other times I insist they be free. I support free dlc! :)
Vote for me, Capt_N! :P

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

When? And I hope it actually works, I got the MSF extra levels, accidentally deleted it and now it won't let me re-download them for anything :(