Wii U Box Art Breaks Cover

Posted by Damien McFerran

Possible final design spotted on Amazon

It seems almost childish to get excited about box artwork in this age of digital downloads and on-demand gaming, but we're not going to let that stop us from squealing with delight at the supposed final designs posted up on the Canadian arm of Amazon.

Listings for Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed III and Marvel Avengers Battle for Earth have appeared on Amazon.ca, complete with lovely box artwork sporting a distinctive blue and yellow Wii U 'swoosh' at the top.

Of course, there's every chance that these covers aren't final, and Nintendo could tinker with the look before the console launches some time later this year. However, the swoosh-like effect is perfectly in keeping with previous Nintendo box formats, and it's hard to imagine Amazon going to all the trouble of mocking up a cover when they could just use existing assets.

What do you think of the design? Are you a fan of the blue and yellow colour scheme? The comments section awaits...

[via kotaku.com]

Related Games

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I think it looks great, and the Nintendo Network logo is prominent - I like that. I hope now that titles rated 15 and above come in a black box - that would be cool!

Arthedain

Arthedain said:

I like it too. Though I already liked blue and yellow. I cannot see why.. ;-P

mrkuribo

mrkuribo said:

It should be blue and white, that yellow is a bit distracting. But I like how that logo is in the middle.

GameCube

GameCube said:

The colors look a bit cheap and gauche tbh. Also not sure about the return to the GameCube box's circle banner.

Maybe it'll grow on me or look better in person.

Kifa

Kifa said:

It's simple and saves a lot of space for artwork - that's good. Also looks very similar to GameCube box art to me, with different colours of course, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Those games need to look different on the shelves to avoid customers confusing them for something compatibile with the Wii I guess... ;) Not bad, not bad at all. But still probably not final.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Reminds me of the gamecube covers. In any case, i don't think its official, but I like it.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wow that looks really awesome, the blue & yellow design looks really good imo. Hope these are final.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I like the colors. Their alot brighter than the Wii box art which I like. Do we know what region this is most likely for?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@Tasuki, North America. Since there's an ESRB 'rating pending' on the boxes & the article mentions these were found on the Canadian Amazon website.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

This can only mean that we'll get reversible covers without anything but the actual artwork, right? Right? :o
If not it would be very hard to live with this. Looks like budget price boxart to me and makes the PS3 versions all the more tempting.
Would third parties really be okay with this?
And PS: So far i liked the box art for games on all Nintendo platforms.

mudjo

mudjo said:

More colourful and less square that the Wii, less dark than the GameCube - I like it!

pinta_vodki

pinta_vodki said:

Fits the Nintendo Life backgroud very well, so I like it. =)

Aslo, it's a nice touch that the N on the Nintendo Network logo looks really like an upside U, and only if you look closely can you see a little notch. Kinda cool.

Emaan

Emaan said:

It looks so much like the Gamecube banner, which I love. The teal and yellow look so nice together, it definitely stands out. :D

Araknie

Araknie said:

Gamecube fresh style, like it cool for every kind of game, i guess they did it that way for that.

It has to stand out to sell games at launch with all the squared banners on other consoles.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Soooo...looks like DVD box ratio, then. I think they could've made it so much easier for people to instantly know the games aren't for Wii by going with the slightly smaller boxes like Sony's been using for PS3 all these years. What a shame.

I like the logo well enough, and the colors are nice. I guess they need that extra box real estate to make up for it stretching down like that, though. :P

Aviator

Aviator said:

I don't like the yellow, nor do I like the comparisons to the blu-ray cover thing.

Torchwood

Torchwood said:

I like it. Very similar to the Gamecube. Not a huge fan of the color scheme, but they could have done worse.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

Looks like they are going the standard DVD cover/case size. I would prefer the PS3/BluRay size cases. Just a preference.

GoldenBanana

GoldenBanana said:

I like it too, but I´m not entirely convinced, Teal is too friendly to me. I prefer more the contrast between black and white, or white and silver like with the Wii. The yellow line is cool, the design is very GC indeed, which is a good thing =)

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

I don't care how the box art looks, I'm only interested in how these games play (and when we can play them!).

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

I like the layout, but I'm not a big fan of the colours. (Assuming this is real.)

Surely it'd be better to pick some neutral colours for the banner rather than something like this - it's going to lead to some horribly clashing cover art.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

It looks pretty cool and it looks different enough from the Wii banner so hopefully this will prevent casuals thinking that they can play Wii U games on their Wii.

SonyFACE

SonyFACE said:

I hope, however, that publishers will be able to choose between a couple of color choices for their hardcore games, because something like Arkham City which is practically all grey and black would look a little silly in that garish bright blue and yellow.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Do we really need the ESRB to rate these games! Assassins Creed 3 is M, 17+ and the Avengers, most likely T, 13+

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

Why are people so concerned with the colors in the box art? It's not like you will play the WiiU with the box art, so it shouldn't be a big deal. The art work and labels look good to me 👾👾👾

Hokori

Hokori said:

To bad I don't think I'll ever own one of those boxes, unless NintendoLand is box bundled, because it's all DL from here BABY!

warvad

warvad said:

Good lord that is horrible. That design reminds me of 1990 era websites.

Absolutely no way this could be official.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I like it. It's like the Gamecube banner, only white and yellow instead of black and purple. It also leaves more space for the boxart.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Nice design, but the colors...not so much. It'll depend on the color of the actual case though.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

If the actual cases are blue, which looks to be the case (sorry :p), this will easilly stand apart from Wii software on the shelves. Certainly this was intended seeing as 3DS packaging caused some confusion. Hopefully the Wii U cases are also thinner like the 3DS ones, as I kind of like that.

hydeks

hydeks said:

I actually like that too, alot better than just plain white. It's, simple :)

Ryno

Ryno said:

Nothing says hardcore like turquoise!

Anyway not a fan. Give me the black and red combo of the late NES and SNES period anyday.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Looks like a box of a budget title! So in other words: Not that sweet!

acelect24

acelect24 said:

The banner itself is very good, but that yellow stripe might not blend with other box art.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

I don't like the yellow underneath it... the blue looks fine, but I think it's missing something, maybe the blue should look more shiny or glossy...

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

I had a feeling Nintendo would go for a light-blue case this time. Looks nice!

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

I dont like it, recycling the banner shape from past consoles doesnt convey the innovation that WiiU stands for. I dont really like blue, but I can understand its part of WiiU branding, contrasts with the nintendo network logo making it more noticeable and it will stand out on retailer shelves, on the other hand I cant find any justificantion nor liking for the yellow line. I would rather go with a small U shaped banner (metalic aqua) crossing the upper left edge to the other side of the box, "n" logo on the upper right.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Holy crap I saw Dr. Strange on the cover of that Avengers box - insta-sale for me!

Box art doesn't mean too much to me since I'm hoping to be doing the digital download thing. Hopefully they'll have a full slate of retail downloads available at launch.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Not perfect, but acceptable, It does bring back some memories of Gamecube... I hope you guys don't think this is lame...
Cover Review: