Site News: Nintendo Life's "Summer Picks" eShop Shelf

Posted by Darren Calvert

We're back!

You might remember that last year Nintendo Life got its very own eShop shelf, and we directed your attention to a variety of DSiWare and 3DS Download gems. It was such a success that Nintendo has decided that we're awesome enough for a second run, so we're back in the store with our recommendations of the hottest games to get you through the sweltering summer.

Available only in the North American eShop (sorry European friends, your time will come), four of your favourite bespectacled Nintendo Life writers have put together 20 games that should be on everyone's console. We've made sure that we're pointing you to some of the best games to play when lounging on the beach or, if you're unlucky enough to live in the UK, sheltering from unseasonal rain. These were selected a short while ago, so if any recent highlights are missing please refrain from hurling too much abuse our way!

Tom

Tom couldn't pick his favourite episodic game so has instead gone for a spread of revamped classics, 3DS-exclusive downloads and a bona fide classic right at the top.

1. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
2. Zen Pinball 3D
3. 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure
4. Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!
5. 3D Classics: Xevious

Phil

The great Chicken Brutus plucked some great games for his choices, with flippin' great DSiWare puzzler Antipole and infinite flight game Bird Mania 3D ranking highly.

1. VVVVVV
2. Bird Mania 3D
3. Antipole (DSiWare)
4. Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (Game Boy)
5. Avenging Spirit (Game Boy)

Drake

Retro-loving Drake plumped for titles that will test gamers' reactions and skills, but also recommends taking some time out to express your creativity with the arty Colors! 3D.

1. Mutant Mudds
2. Donkey Kong (Game Boy)
3. Colors! 3D
4. BurgerTime Deluxe (Game Boy Color)
5. 3D Classics: Kid Icarus

Corbie

Our downloads editor picked a range of games, from Game Boy platformer Adventure Island to WayForward's eShop action game Mighty Switch Force!

1. Mighty Switch Force!
2. Art of Balance: Touch!
3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Game Boy Color)
4. Pushmo/Pullblox
5. Adventure Island (Game Boy)

Let us know which games you pick up!

Big thanks to Nintendo of America for making this possible.

Resigrounds

Resigrounds said:

Interesting, I'm only missing one from each writer.

Zen Pinball 3D
Antipole
Burgertime Deluxe
Adventure Island

Birdman

Birdman said:

Darn, beaten to the punch on reporting this. Oh well, this is still the best eShop update EVA!

Marks

Marks said:

I had the biggest smile on my face when I saw this on my eShop shelf.
Congratulations guys!

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

congratulations folks. I might pick up Bird Mania from your shelf. And Colors 3D once the sale starts.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Was hoping Chicken Brutus to recommend Sword of Hope II

It came out juuuuust after we submitted our picks. Otherwise it would have been in strong consideration!

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I have 10 of those recommended items on the list. :D
Super Mario Bros. (NES)
3D Classics Kirby's Adventure
VVVVVV
Mutant Mudds
Colors! 3D
3D Classics Kid Icarus
Mighty Switch Force!
Art of Balance: TOUCH!
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Gameboy Color)
Pullblox

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Square-enixFan Then you are truly wise...

It was fun picking lists as a group, in any case, because it was ideal for selecting a good variety. As for Zen Pinball, I've been holding off on Marvel Pinball until I pick up an XL this weekend, so that's why that one got the nod. I also have an unhealthy obsession with Xevious, even if I never seem to get very far. Loads of good stuff though, and there's a few I may pick up if we're fortunate enough to have a European shelf again in the future.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Great Job Guys! I would buy from your shelve, but I'm saving my eShop cash for other games. Sorry :(

Also How do you get your eShop to look like that? With the bottom shevles like DSiWare, VC, System News, etc. I've done the system update for double shelves, so is this what the UK eShop looks like?

Edit: Looks like I'm picking up something from your shelve after all :D
A 3.99 Colors! 3D! Sorry Sonic Labyrinth, looks like I'm not getting you Day 1 for 5 Dollars :P

kobe1724

kobe1724 said:

Wow, congrats once again! Great picks!
If only I had the spare cash to buy a few of these...

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Congrats NLife! It's obvious Nintendo considers you all 1. a great force in getting ppl to purchase certain titles on their platforms, &/or 2. very reputable.

More than likely though, they consider you both.

Reputable's what got me staying here. So, Congrats!:)

Edit: Also, you guys have some pretty good tastes.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Hmmmmmmmm not counting apps (like Colours! 3D) I'd choose:

-Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon (I like it more than Zen as it uses real pinball conventions)
-3D Xevious
-Pushmo
-5 in 1 Mahjong (I don't like how movable tiles are highlighted with no option to remove this feature but otherwise it's great)
-Game & Watch (all of them as they're perfect reproductions of the actual games unlike the G&W DS series)
-Dr. Mario Express and Puzzle League Express (tied)

I'd probably say GB Tetris too but I haven't purchased it yet.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I admit, it was really cool seeing this pop up on my screen in the eShop. Recommendations are always good, so I've added Zen Pinball 3D and Mutant Mudds to the wish list. Congrats for making the eShop once again!

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I've got at least half of the list:
Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Bird Mania, Freaky Forms, and Mutant Mudds.

Squirtodile

Squirtodile said:

I saw this last year but wasnt as active as a reader/commenter. Now its just awesome, grats guys.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Just saw the actual picks in the eShop. I'll definitely buy some games off of this shelf just cause this site rocks.

Nardar

Nardar said:

This is great! There are a couple I don't have but considering. Thank you guys for all that you do!

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

@TheDreamingHawk Yes, Antipole is good. Well I think so anyway.

It's like VVVVVV in the way you can flip the gravity, but more of an arcadey style shooter set in a desolate space station. It's a very Metroid-like atmosphere, and the game has a decent amount of content for 800pts too.

And well done once again Nintendolife! Next stop, world domination...

Knux

Knux said:

Awesome, even though I have all of those games except for Freakyforms and Antipole. ;)

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

I have every game On those lists, except for Art of Balence TOUCH! And Bird Mania. :3

Oh and congrats on the 2nd shelf. ^_^

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

This is great. This will also attract more potential members. Super cool!

NintendoLife...for life! :P

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

This is awesome! Congratulations to NL and all its staff for this recognition by Nintendo, it's well deserved. Further proof that NintendoLife is best Nintendo site! :D You do know, however, that you're likely to get more Emails requesting you make such and such game, etc. from people who think you ARE NINTENDO? ;)

Finally, has Nintendo ever expressed reluctance to do this since you also have websites devoted to PlayStation? You know, THE ENEMY? :P

Jumpman

Jumpman said:

James' dream to have NintendoLife appear on the Eshop again came true!
It still hurts.

lanabanana

lanabanana said:

I bought 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure. :D It's funny how all the games i have were recommended by you guys... XP

Nintenbro

Nintenbro said:

Here's my top 5 list of essential eShop titles:
1) VVVVVV (3DSWare)
2) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Gameboy Color VC)
3) Donkey Kong 94 (Gameboy VC)
4) Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (Gameboy VC)
5) Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Gameboy VC)

My top ten list would've included more 3DSWare titles.

srhades

srhades said:

I agree wih Corbie on Art of Balance: Touch! It bested Pushmo and I loved my first two worlds so far! As for Colors 3D, I'll know tommarow at 9:00!

Neram

Neram said:

I fired up the eShop this morning to find NintendoLife on the 3DS, awesome!! Congrats guys, you rock!

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

I have two of Tom's (Zen Pinball 3D and Mario Bros.), one of Phil's (VVVVVV), one of Drake's (Donkey Kong) and two of Corbie's (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX and Pushmo)

@Chicken_Brutus - Too bad TSoHII is really good.

Hmm, seeing as Colors 3D is on sale, I'll look into it get it off your shelf since this time Canada has eshop cards. Also I'll look into a few others. I was so happy and shocked to see this happen twice. Too bad @James missed this, well at least he can see it happened again.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

Wow! What a great selection of recommendations from the NL staff. It looks like I will be downloading some games over the weekend (would like to exchange 3DS FCs with the staff as well as anyone else who sees this as well) :)

PuzzleMaster7

PuzzleMaster7 said:

Great job on making it on the eShop again! I don't remember the first time mainly because I wasn't a member yet. In another a few months, I hope to see you guys on there once again.

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Congrats, you guys!

I also like Phil's choice in Antipole. It's a fun little game for $5, and while it's a tiny bit glitchy at times, I had a blast with it last year. :) Surprised it was the only DSiWare title picked, though.