E3 2012: Prepare to Enter the Miiverse

Posted by Mike Mason

Get yourself connected

Nintendo has offered a tantalising peek at Wii U's menu and online systems at its pre-E3 Nintendo Direct. Dubbed Miiverse, it's a bit like a Mii-based social network that is always online, allowing you to chat with your friends and others online about all the games you're playing.

The Miiverse Plaza is the first thing that pops up when Wii U is switched on, and it can be accessed at any time during gameplay. From here you can share content with others, plus use voice chat and messaging services to plead for help if you're stuck. You can even use emoticons, handwriting and doodles for that personal touch.

You can also share screenshots of your gameplay online.

Miiverse will be compatible with all Wii U games. Nintendo plans to allow access to the Miiverse through mobile phones, the web and — of course — Nintendo 3DS, though it hasn't said when all that will be available just yet.

Untitled

Untitled

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Count mii in. In the future, I'll be on the Wii U forum like I would be on Nintendolife.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I'm hoping 3DS will have something like MiiVerse all interconnected for 3DS games. The only way to access Miiverse on 3DS is through the browser.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I think I saw a bunch of people saying this would happen before it's released, so I guess you could say this was the natural rought to go.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

I'm not big on the whole 'social media' thing, but it's awesome to see Nintendo still presenting innovative ideas in regards to online - and not just simply copying PSN/Xbox Live.

I just hope they announce user accounts soon!

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

@ladycomic

nah i think there will be an update. they said miiverse will be avaible for wiiU, 3DS and all future nintendo platforms!

cant wait to get miiverse on my 3DS

Chrno-x

Chrno-x said:

I think that's very good idea because people who like to talk with others that like "that or that game" can easier join to play or just talk with each other about it. For me it's a great idea (in game messages are almost like in Dark Souls xd). Let's hope that Nintendo will bring it to other devices faster than eShop to 3DS (you know time is money and people like to lamment over almost everything that's not coming as fast as it can).

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

HEY LISTEN! Watch back to 22:30 on a replay, comments on the Mario game include a squirell suit power up and a baby yoshi tied by balloons!

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Overall, I'm pleased but I just don't see this hitting the Xbox and Ps crowd with much else besides mockery. Still, will be fun to doodle in chats and I think I'll use it with a grin myself. :)

Was sad to see old-fashioned Miis. Was hoping for some upgrades. Especially now that we can use a stylus. :) I suppose not all hope is lost as these could just be intentionally backwards compatible Miis only.

Cevan

Cevan said:

Sounds really cool! I like the idea of being able to access it through the 3DS as well.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@xenomaster: I believe this is the homescreen - insofar as it being the screen that appears when powering up the Wii U console. Don't know if there's a more traditional homescreen behind it though for access to your games and apps though. Perhaps this shows on the telly whilst your standard Wii Channel-style menu appears on the gamepad?

pntjr

pntjr said:

AW LAWDY YESSSS!!!!!! PRAISE DA GODS OF NINTENDO!!!!!! MY DREAMS ARE COMING TRUE!!!!!!

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Sounds good, actually. I like the screenshots thing, and I think sending quick texts will be much easier with the touchpad than sending them with the onscreen keyboard the 360 uses is.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@aaronsullivan:

Well, since you can send screenshots, you can immediately brag about a trophy/achievement you got in game, with a picture to prove it. That would be a great feature.

Same with people who will try to help other gamers with each and every help request, just to feel important and admired. It does have its uses for the more "hardcore" crowd.

It actually looks like Nintendo's brand of Facebook, which also shows in its dominance of the interface. I mean, that is the first thing you see when you turn it on, you can access it anytime and they plan to export it to 3DS, so it will be an encompassing and addictive thing where people will spend a lot of time. Again, not unlike Facebook.

Monsti

Monsti said:

This does look really nice...I'm starting to think everything is going to be way better than I expected.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

The Miiverse looks pretty awesome. Nintendo's definitely taking online to the next level or two. Glad to see internet browsing during a game, basically what amounts to being a Nintendo facebook, and what looks to be the most innovative system ever. I do find video chatting with random strangers a little weird though...

Emaan

Emaan said:

Nintendo really surprised me with this, like woah. I wasn't expecting that. This looks beyond amazing, never thought the online would be this cool!

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I've questioned about moderating this on another thread, but I think this is interesting that everyone has usernames....

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

This seems pretty awesome, actually. And it's smart that it goes straight to the Miiverse as soon as you boot it up.

Wonder if there can be more than one Miiverse...?

CommanderAudio

CommanderAudio said:

Alright then. Time to sell my kidney and left lung. I need this console

BRING ON E3!

P.S The organ selling thing was a joke. So don't post any offers. OK?

rjejr

rjejr said:

So, "Miiverse" and "Miivese Plaza"? BOR-ing. I thought it was going to be "Mii wara wara". Oh well, lost in translation I guess.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

I like their approach to online connectivity among future Wii U gamers. This is huge and puts Nintendo in the right direction.

lanabanana

lanabanana said:

Zomg! That's so cool!!! The only problem is that i'll have to clean my room now... lol :D

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

Nintendo gave us what we asked for, and then some. Bloody hell, and all this before the real showdown.

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

Mii Universe or Miiverse! This is like X-Box Live and PSN, but WAY MUCH BETTER!!! Especially connecting to Miiverse DURING GAMEPLAY.

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

And the best thing of all about Miiverse, you can still accses Miiverse on 3DS, PC, Androids, iPods/iPhones, iPad/iPad 2 and tablets!! COOL!!

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

On the menu: While it's a neat idea i want something where it's quick and easy to get where you want to be. Please don't show me what people think about games i don't care crap for.

collect530

collect530 said:

This looks awesome, was originally sceptical without no published support for more mainstream social media, but embedding social media in games rather than just posting high scores is so much more cooler and useful to the gamer!