First Epic Mickey 3DS Screen Shows Scrooge McDuck

Posted by James Newton

Colour us interested

Disney Epic Mickey: The Power of Illusion on 3DS is a 2D platformer developed by Monster Tale studio DreamRift, so we knew it was going to look good, but the first scanned screen looks like the team's nailed the Castle of Illusion atmosphere.

The still also scores bonus points for including Scrooge McDuck from DuckTales, reinforcing our long-held belief that all games would be better with more Scrooge McDuck.

We've asked Disney for more information but were told the company "has not made any announcement" about Disney Epic Mickey 2 for 3DS. When Disney does start talking about it, we'll be there.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

NintendoLife is like a hurricane, here in Duckburg

The game has now caught my attention.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

@Blizzaga I remember Talespin for the NES... Entirely different though I'm sure.

But yes, I'm very intrigued... Looks miles better than I ever thought it would!

mOOgBunny

mOOgBunny said:

Oh yes, looking forward to this. Still play Castle of Illusion & Quackshot (Japanese versions of course, love the box artwork) on my MegaDrive. Think I was the only person on the planet to love Fantasia aswell. My 3DS & I may yet be friends.

zeldadude

zeldadude said:

that screenshot at the top reminds me of the side scrolling level of kindom hearts recoded

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Warren Spector has said that Scrooge McDuck is his favorite Disney chraracter, so I expect Scrooge will have some kind of important role in the story. The game looks great judging by that first screenshot, so this is already looking promising.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

This looks awesome!! Soooooooooo happy about this!!
I'm an old school gamer so go figure lol

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

@LittleFuryThing Yes, Darkwing needs to make a comeback. "Cloud of smoke and he appears, the master of disguise."

But yeah, Scrooge is a big plus in my books. I now want this even more.

Slionr

Slionr said:

I was not a huge fan of Epic mickey, but I did realy enjoy it, and was happy I bought it and beat it^^ It was realy a unique game, with different outcomes from quests, collectibles and so on^^
I am however a HUGE fan of both illusion-games. I picked both of them up for a month ago, and loved them, even though they where realy easy games^^
Im not sure if I am gonna pick up the wii-version (at least at first) but to see this screenshot....... Made me think back to thoose games and Ducktales (because I saw Scrooge...... yeah, I am love nostalgy X) ).

And for some wierd reason: yeah KH as well @zeldadude :O

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

man that screen just looks exactly like what I'd imagine a castle of illusion sequel to look like. I cannot wait for this game now.

photofool83

photofool83 said:

Maybe they could release Ducktales, Chip n Dale, Tailspin, and Darkwing Duck on virtual console in preparation for release of this game. That would be awesome!! This game is sounding more and more fantastic to me.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Well, now I have to get a console version, and the 3DS version.
And @photofool83, I so wish they would come out with a new Darkwing Duck game. :p And the VC ones you were talking about.

Legodavid18

Legodavid18 said:

Now we only need a remixed version of the Moon theme in this game. (You know the one I'm talking about...)

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

"The still also scores bonus points for including Scrooge McDuck from DuckTales, reinforcing our long-held belief that all games would be better with more Scrooge McDuck".

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Cue Meatloaf song...

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@photofool83: I highly doubt it due to licensing issure. Ducktales, Chip N Dale, Talespin etc were all done by Capcom where as Epic Mickey is done by a totally different company. Besides if would have brought them to VC the Wii would have had them long ago. The best bet my friend is to get a NES and a copy of said games.

With that said me thinks I will play some Ducktales now. :D

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

For some reason I'm bothered by Scrooge McDuck just standing placidly atop a floating block. It jarringly kills the logic of the scene.

Megajack

Megajack said:

mabye ill get this. but it depends on the price. If its $30 ill get it but not worth $40.

Holmfry

Holmfry said:

My eyes grew wider and wider with disbelief and joy as I read the summary of this article! Epic Mickey? 3DS?? 2D platformer???? Monster Tale developer???????? Seriously, this is exciting stuff!! :D

StuffyStuff

StuffyStuff said:

Brings back memories of those good Mickey games on the SNES. Seeing how so many of us are drawn to Scrooge, maybe a developer should consider creating a new Duck Tales game.

paburrows

paburrows said:

Man I really hope that you get to earn him as a playable character rather then just a helper character.

I'm curious how much of the stylus figures in with painting, I really hate it when the game forces you to control the characters movement with the stylus. If its just painting then it might be bareable.

Knux

Knux said:

Those graphics look so sexy. :*

This game is a first day purchase for me. :D

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I don't get why everyone's geeking out about the graphics. They look grainy and colorfully dull to me. The 3DS could do A LOT better. There are 3DSware games with better graphics than this.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

If this game keeps on this track than I will be picking it up for sure.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

I've seen the rest of the scans (http://www.ndsicards.com/imagenes/primeras-imagenes-del-epic-mickey-power-of-illusion) and I gotta say, I'm looking forward to it. I love the visual style, and I love 2D platformers.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Now, I'm already twenty times more interested in this than Epic Mickey 2.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

"Scrooge McDuck from DuckTales"
Or Scrooge McDuck from Scrooge McDuck. After all he´s originally from Disney comics made by Carl Barks (Scrooge´s first appearance was in 1947, he was supposed to be only in one story but look what happened :D). I can´t decide which one I like better, Donald or Scrooge. They should make a Disney game of Carl Barks´s characters like Scrooge McDuck, Beagle Boys, Gyro Gearloose etc. Kinda like Ducktales in other words.:P

Adhrast

Adhrast said:

Anyone noticing the coincidence between Game Gear on the 3DS VC and the announcement of this game as a sequel to Castle/Land/World of Illusion, knowing that Castle and Land were released on GG as well? It would be SO good to have them on the 3DS!
Also, incredibly hyped for this game, it really look awesome!

Tinky

Tinky said:

Nice indeed, but I just hope that they don´t force the player use the stylus in this game just for the sake of it which would distract too much from game play. So I will wait for some first (p)reviews to see if the controls are messed up between having to interchange between stylus and buttons. But otherwise, very neatly looking

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

That is great.
Now if only we could get Capcom to create Ducktales part three, with retro graphics and all that.

Punny

Punny said:

I wonder if Mickey will be able to bounce on Scrooge's cane as a power-up...

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Okay. I know I've said a few times before (perhaps curmudgeonly) that the first Epic Mickey left a sour taste in my mouth, and I wasn't too excited about The Power of Two. Well, I have to confess, this particular game, Power of Illusion, has definitely interested me. Way to go!

MrHeli

MrHeli said:

Ditto all the other positive comments re COI & DT...3DS owners rejoice (hopefully)

Henmii

Henmii said:

Looks very nice! Very retro! But it doesn't look like a 2,5 d platformer (they said it would be). No offense, though!

I wonder if this will have any 3D effects!

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

When you come across other characters, it'll open up a side-quest. Like finding Scrooge McDuck's lucky dime. Every detail you uncover about this game will just make it more awesome

RR529

RR529 said:

This looks very interesting! I only hope that the Epic Mickey brand doesn't make Disney think they can throw Square Enix to the curb, and kill off Kingdom Hearts. If Disney had to choose between the two, I'm sure they'd favor the one that actually stars Mickey. I don't think that will happen, but anything's possible.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

Castle of Illusion on Game Gear was an excellent game. I home we get a virtual console version of that as a promotion for this game!