Miyamoto Can't Wait to Show Off Super Mario Bros. 3DS

Posted by James Newton

Bring on E3

Nintendo is working on 2D and 3D Mario games, and we've already seen Paper Mario, but there's another 2D Mario adventure in the works, as revealed by this Iwata Asks.

Reuniting the four men behind Super Mario Bros., the interview finishes with a look to the future for Nintendo's mascot, with Shigeru Miyamoto stating:

So, in the interests of adopting new technology for the Super Mario Bros. tradition, I am now making a new Super Mario Bros. game for the Nintendo 3DS system. I want to show everyone as soon as possible what the new Super Mario Bros. will be like on the Nintendo 3DS.

Although "as soon as possible" could be any time after tomorrow, really, it seems likely Nintendo will unveil what's sure to be a flagship 3DS title at this year's E3 in June. Nintendo Life's Corbie Dillard will be at E3 to bring you all the news and hands-on straight from Los Angeles, so you'll hear about whatever surprises Miyamoto has up his sleeves right here.

[via us.wii.com]

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

BREAKING NEWS! Nintendo makes a Mario game.
Just kidding :P
Looking forward to what it might be.

Cia

Cia said:

I have a feeling that this will not be a part of "new super mario bros", series, but something else.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I have this looming feeling that this will be a super mario bros game with weird gravity elements from super mario galaxy; walking on the ceiling, blasting off to other levels, etc. I don't know why, but just call my psychic. A 2D game that would appeal to oldschoolers with these elements would sell like hotcakes and Miyamoto knows this.

Tails

Tails said:

Please not another New super mario bros game. Just stick with the original in 3D :)

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This isn't surprising but it's still great news and this will probably be an excellent game like most of Mario's other platformers.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Hmm I wonder if it will be 2D but on multiple plains similar to Little Big Planet.That would be kinda cool in 3D I reckon.
I'd be surprised if we don't see a Mario Galaxy type game on 3DS as well though,surely that oppurtunity is too good to miss.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

lol I guess, sure. xD
Just always dreamed of creating my own "Bros" game. (as in, not World, or the Wii version, lol)

I'm guessing this is gonna be another "New" game.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@7:
Totally agreed. A capital vs. lowercase N is a pretty easy thing to mistake...especially when translating from another language.

Bring it on!

Gerry-Rich

Gerry-Rich said:

Sounds exciting, I wonder how it will work, pipes sticking in your face? E3 will be exciting.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

lol
I feel like E3 happened yesterday.. Year flies by...

Oh, anyhow, can't wait to see Mario 3DS!

Wario Land better make it too :D

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Yeah! I've been waiting for this! I love me some classic side-scrolling Super Mario Bros.! Bring on Super Mario World 3 (or New Super Mario World, whatever they want to call it... one can dream).

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

New Super Mario 3DS...the title along is just too perfect for Nintendo to pass up :D

Arcanum

Arcanum said:

YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY............
But i do hope we get some form of an announcement before E3 because, like @timp29 said, E3 is still far from us....

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Honestly, Super Mario Bros. is losing it`s flare compared to games like Super Meat Boy, Limbo, and Little Big Planet, even if its in 3D. Mostly because I`m not old and most gamers today are too young to care much about Mario.

Ronald0wnzu

Ronald0wnzu said:

@BellGoRiiing Level customization would be an awesome addition to a New Super Mario Bros. game.
Since the 3DS allows unlockable content through digital coins, why not use it for extra characters (Luigi), levels, or tools/items for a level customizer.

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

Yay, New Super Mario Bros 3. Well if they do make a level builder they could massively spread levels via streetpass (or whatever it's called). Just set every player to have one level to pass off.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Mario is the primary reason that I fell in love with Nintendo. Everything else is "Lagniappe" ;)

@slapshot82: If Nintendo just makes another 3D Mario title, with various worlds and colorful environments, without a central overall theme (like tropical island or wacky space gravity), then it would be a great candidate for a spiritual successor to Mario 64. I can only hope that they will give it a proper 3-dimensional "hub world", not a 2D map screen as in Galaxy 2. And I hope they put Yoshi in it ;)

Kirk

Kirk said:

If it was New Super Mario World in 2.5D on the 3DS 3D screen I would be sold.

topnick12

topnick12 said:

@slapshot82: Thats actually not a bad idea, they could improve on it a lot, but if they were to remake that title, then they better add Waluigi to the group :) we missed him in the DS remake :(

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

@Koops3 #26: NO! I won't hear any more of your lies! :O

Anyway, lucky young Corbs gets to go to E3 again! Have fun, Sir Gregg! ;)

Rapenzie

Rapenzie said:

Give me Luigi's Mansion sequel! Luigi's Hospital (?) would be nice. Same doll house style with 3D and inside a haunted hospital :D

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

I honestly would be happier with a super mario bros game that is not part of the New Super Mario Bros. series; but I'm not saying that I would be unhappy with another game in the New Super Mario Bros. series. If they add something new to the New Super Mario Bros game, if that's what it will be, I would like to see the same gameplay of Miyamoto and Iwata running away from bowser in the E3 trailer for the 3DS!

pixelman

pixelman said:

I wish it'd be New Super Mario Land with Daisy, just to mix things up, but it'll probs just be NSMB3D :P

melvin2898

melvin2898 said:

I hope it's for the RPG series. I highly doubt it. I personally think the main series is pretty bad.

Rob_mc_1

Rob_mc_1 said:

But can the 3DS screen truly capture the depth of a bottomless pit. I guess I will have to wait and see.

slatters

slatters said:

I don't see that this will bear any resemblance to the orignal NES series. It'll be New Super Mario Bros 3DS as a few above me have said. Just so you're all not getting your hopes up for smb3 sequel or anything...

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

I can't wait for the 3DS, can't wait for the NGP either; but this is the wrong forum for that...

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I just don't see them doing the New Super Mario Bros. bit again after releasing that style of game on both the DS and Wii. I look for this to be something very different and very unique.

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

No kidding, another Mario game!?
Who would have thought?
Hahaha, actually I can't wait to see this new 3D version, I am sure it will be awesome!

RYBlast

RYBlast said:

Can't wait? There must be a real interesting gimmick to it, I can't wait too!

HvE

HvE said:

I wouldn't mind if it's just a sequel to the DS New Super Mario Bros. I really liked the original, and after completing the entire game I still wanted more.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I will not miss this year's E3, that I can assure everyone. I'm curious as to how Mario will look in 3D and to see if Nintendo and Miyamoto will contiue the New Super Mario Bros formula. Actually, it would be nice if they distanced it from the two New Super Mario Bros games while still keeping it classic Mario. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

@ Raylax

Your comments were a real lol moment (honestly) but Nintendo will blow us away at E3 but why are we bothered now? it won't be for another four months........ (and the best announcement I'm waiting for them to talk about the future of home games-console's, Wii-2 maybe. Wait and see)

Nintendoftw

Nintendoftw said:

What he should do is make another 3D mario game... Maybe a Super Mario Sunshine remake. We should really make a petition for super mario sunshine.. That would seriously look good with improved graphics and 3D.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

I hope this one is more of an "advancement" than New Super Mario Bros Wii, which was just the DS game with new level layouts and multiplayer (there I said it). Even the bloody music is the same songs.

SuperLink

SuperLink said:

This looks really interesting. I can't help but think that this will make the already classic masterpiece of a game seem like a totally new adventure!