3DS Comes with Mario, Pikmin, Kirby, Link and Samus

Posted by James Newton

In card form, anyway

Last month we brought you a report on the 3DS's built-in software, in which we played one of the six augmented reality games that will come packaged with the 3DS. Now the machines have begun to make their way out to retailers, unboxing videos and pictures have started to show up online, with UK chain GAME showing off the other five cards included in the 3DS box boasting some familiar faces.

Link, Samus Aran, Pikmin, Mario and Kirby get a card each, as well as the familiar ? block, though there is no word on what these games involve. Considering the ? block is a shooting gallery with a dragon don't expect these to be augmented reality versions of the games that made the characters famous, but as soon as we know what they are we'll let you know.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Oh man, I love this. I feel like Nintendo is reaching back to its card-making toy company roots.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

@2: I kinda figured that the 3DS will be able to recognize any card from the start...I dunno...I'm hoping for that, since I haven't touched my crap-load of cards in a long time, lol.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I'm rooting for a Yoshi card! I'd love that! Even if it's just Yoshi walking around on my desk. XD

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

This just made me really excited. Imagine Mario interacting with you on your coffee table . . . AWESOME! And this is a cheap way for Nintendo to include software with their system. I'm loving it.

irken004

irken004 said:

I thought these would be related to the 3D models of the characters that were demoed awhile back. Not certain, though.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

@ 1: "Maybe"? That's what it says in the text! Just read the article instead of posting seeminlgy blindly.

shenstra

shenstra said:

This technology isn't nearly ready to read some kind of code from these cards. They have to pre-program a relatively small number of shapes that the software can recognize and pre-program the accompanying games. They may be able to add support for more cards later on through software updates, but I don't think they can extend this into some kind of larger meta-game.

I fully expect the five character cards to turn into virtual models of the characters printed on the cards. Disappointing, perhaps. But at least one of the cards contains a little game to showcase the potential of AR games.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@12

No, I don't believe it's like the eReader where some data or content is inside the cards in a dotcode or other encoding. That's not really that limiting, though; it just means that a game truly taking advantage of this feature at retail would be programmed to recognize whatever set of cards it specifically comes packaged with or uses.

Kriedler

Kriedler said:

It's pissing me off that retailers are getting 3DS systems already :P
I still have to wait over a month to get mine, and I know the place I have it preordered has one just sitting there :P

Objection

Objection said:

@Angelic Lapras King-That would be cool. I am excited for the possibilties of the AR cards. Hope that Nintendo actually sticks with it, unlike the eReader. (Selling booster packs of AR Cards would totally be cool as long as it was handled right.)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I knew Kirby and Mario would get AR cards! I can only imagine interacting with them on my desk.

jsdman1234

jsdman1234 said:

Is there anyone else here wondering about the statement in the post,
"Now the machines have begun to make their way out to retailers, unboxing videos and pictures have started to show up online, with UK chain GAME showing off the other five cards included in the 3DS box boasting some familiar faces."
Where are said video's and pictures?
Where can we find then?
Link them to us, NintendoLife!

Punny

Punny said:

I would like to see a Star Fox card with an Arwing that flies out of the screen. :)

rockman0

rockman0 said:

I would an "Invizimals-styled" styled Pokemon game. I know it most likely wouldn't have much of a story, but I'd be content just trying to catch 'em all. :-)

iphys

iphys said:

Awesome! Does anyone know if it's 1 AR game we get for each AR card, or is it possible there could be multiple AR games for each card?

GammaGames

GammaGames said:

it would be fun to play a loz game where you fought off incoming monsters in waves with the card! Also, you just suck the world apart with kirby >: D. Mario i hope would become Super Mario Galaxy on the card, with planets popping out and such. Pikemin you lead them around (i actually never played that game) I hope these all happen :D

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

Hopefully all of Nintendo's games (and those of third parties that bother) will come with at least one card in the box, and of course the software that makes it work in the game itself, perhaps downloadable to the home menu or SD card as a channel, or even an update to a single AR channel that collects all the games for your growing collection of cards.
For Pilotwings Resort the card be a launch pad for a toy helicopter, or with Nintendogs you could have your dog (or cat) run around your desk.
How about the card as a base for a Jenga stack, or a hole from which little monsters emerge for you to squash with your real hand (just the one; you'd be trying to hold the 3DS steady with the other).
I'm just glad that between these cards and Face Raiders (and hopefully a bit of VC) there'll be plenty of fun to be had right out of the box.

Quazzaazazazaazaza

Quazzaazazazaazaza said:

They should make AR cards that play as movies when you point the camera their way. And, if they did that, the movies could pop out even more!

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

@46: I don't think holding the 3ds for 90 minutes would be confortable.
But seeing shorts in the middle of the room would be sweet!

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

I don't even know what "augmented reality" means. Those two words together just don't make any sense to me.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

i think it has to do with the fact that you augment reality using the camera to make video game characters "appear" in the real world.

but i'm no dictionary.

Superducky

Superducky said:

Augment means "To enhance". Thus, "Enhanced Reality". I don't know about you, but I consider fighting off dragon-thingies on my desk as an enhancement for my reality.

Simon_Deku

Simon_Deku said:

The ? card is probably face-down. You can see that the others have the same patter in blue in the background.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

but which will be the Mii card then? (the one where a mii comes out for you to take photos at)

zachts98

zachts98 said:

quazzaazazazaazaza
They could also do a projection think of it.
maybe that is the 4ds or next wii

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

That's cool but one thing I hate about collecting cards like this is that means they're gonna have promos, with some only available in Japan. It's gonna be the e-reader allll over again with a 3DS Mario game where most of the new levels are only in Japan. >.>

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Turns out those Nintendo character cards are 'statues' in AR. Using the face buttons, you can change their poses.

Colors

Colors said:

I bet the Pikmin game will be a hack-n-slash and the samus one will be a trivia game

mario300

mario300 said:

coollllllllllll! maybe mario and the other chactacters pop out of the screen.and awsome 3d afect

Benja_Mii_n

Benja_Mii_n said:

I've seen a video of a Mii AR card. Oh and can you buy the AR cards in packets like match attack for example. I could see Top Trumps asking Nintendo to be partners for the AR card buisness.

Benja_Mii_n

Benja_Mii_n said:

I've got such an idea,what If Nintendo put a AR card that is exclusive to a Nintendo 3DS game such as Nintendogs+Cats.