Nintendo Will Release 3DS in October

Posted by Zach Kaplan

Step into the third dimension two months before Christmas

Computer and Video Games.com has a tasty rumor that Nintendo plans to release their follow-up to the hugely successful DS this October. One of their senior sources added:

In my experience, you don't launch a product that early to Christmas unless you're confident in it - and going to spend a lot of money on it. We're reassured that Nintendo is going to give it some decent backing in Q4.

Nintendo's official announcement will be at this year's E3 event, according to the site. The new system will play new, 3D titles (no glasses needed) as well as being backwards compatable with DS games. No specific date has been announced for the system's release, but we'll keep you up to date on all future developments.

[via computerandvideogames.com]

pixelman

pixelman said:

Is this October of 2010?! D:

reads article - oh, it is. I thought this was originally due out in March 2011? Nintendo's really pulling out all the stops this year. Mario, Metroid, Zelda, a new DS. Jimminy Christmas. This is especially good news for me since my DS lite is on its last legs.

y2josh

y2josh said:

I read the title of this as "Nintendo Wii Releases in 3D October" and was ready to give a thumbs down and :| face. But since its the 3DS in October I'm going to say YAY :)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on the 3DS at E3. I might have to grab one and run. Doubt I'd get very far, but it would be fun to try. :D

Adam

Adam said:

If this is true, and I don't understand why this is not being cited as a rumor since there is no evidence or official confirmation presented, then that's annoying.

I have a crazy idea: If you're going to release a new handheld, give it more than a year before releasing the next one. Some people already spent a good bit on DSiWare.

Donatello

Donatello said:

6 months! :D
Now I've got some gaming to catch up on for my DS. I havent touched it since Dementium, since the Wii has taken all of my gaming time :p

Yosher

Yosher said:

What, so soon? I don't think I'll be getting it until 2011 anyway, even if it does get released so soon. Unless there's a REALLY interesting title on there for me, like a new Yoshi game!

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Guess its time for me to get a job. I certainly hope that this doesn't spell an early doom for the DSi titles... SHANTAE NEEDS LOVE!!!

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

Breaking news! UK industry sources revealed to me that Sony and Microsoft are making the PSP2 and its coming out in November!

Ahem Its a possibility, but this is hardly a confirmation.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Well I guess buying that DSi was just a huge f***ing waste of money. But Nintendo knows me all to well...they know I'll buy the 3DS regardless. Curse my fanboyism.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Like I said in the thread earlier, I called it! But it is a lot sooner that one would think.

SMEXIZELDAMAN

SMEXIZELDAMAN said:

Wtf I just got DSi and now they're gonna put out a new one. Hopefully this doesn't mean everyone will stop caring for the other DSes. Just wait a year and soon they'll (somehow) make a 4DS :o

Min

Min said:

Sweet. I'll have my B-Day money to lean on.

Looking forward to it!

@Corbie: hahaha yeah it would. Grab one for me too :D

UrbanYeti

UrbanYeti said:

This year? damn. they should give some more time for the dsi xl to have some light.

Old_School

Old_School said:

Last two sentences in the article: "Nintendo told CVG today's story was merely "rumour and speculation". We get that a lot." Honestly, companies do not need to promote their consoles, when sites go out of their way to post any small detail and take a tabloid style approach. Their new console/handheld is all over the net in seconds because sites want to be the first. Honestly, "I was first" is so annoying. I will believe a release date for the US when Nintendo announces it and I can read and article from Nintendo.com or official site along with or hearing it from Reggie.

Dave82481

Dave82481 said:

I will get a 3ds if:

1: dsiware is able to be transfered to it
2. virtual handheld or something similar

Wolfcoyote

Wolfcoyote said:

Hopefully the 3DS won't suffer anything like the cracked hinge or non-responsive shoulder button epidemics of previous devices. But since it's backwards compatible with the DS line then I'm sold! My software library is now up to fifty-seven titles - I'd love to still play them on a shiny, new high-definition device.

And yeah we can mark this as a rumor, but rumors do a great job of building up hype for the product. I keep thinking about that nVidia Tegra chip...yummy...

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

..... and tomorrow we get the official Nintendo press release that this isnt accurate and reaffirmed that all detail will be available that this years E3!

Rm88

Rm88 said:

Seriously, I want a DSi only so I can play Dark Void Zero, but I'm not getting one now that the 3DS is coming. I just hope 3DS supports DSiWare, it doesn't have a reason not to.

skywake

skywake said:

@pixelman
I don't think you are the only one with a very well worn DS lite. I'm already sold on this because I was almost sold on the DSi. :)

@Wolfcoyote
I thought the nVidia Tegra was confirmed not to be true? I'm still putting my money on yet another a scaled down Gecko/Flipper combo. Look at how little power the Wii uses compared to what the Gamecube did! Think of how easy it will be to start writing games for that architecture again! You can't tell me that this hasn't at least been seriously considered

@kam
a youtube app with 3D support would be yet another killer feature. Especially if they also put in a second camera on the outer-shell so you can also make and upload 3D videos ;)

amk93091

amk93091 said:

I really hope this doesnt come out this year. It seems theyre just throwing things at us. Also if your a collector your going to be a few handhleds behind now. At least I am.

TJ_Spyke

TJ_Spyke said:

You should put a "?" in the headline, this is only a RUMOR. I will not act like this is true.

Mmaster83

Mmaster83 said:

I can only imagine how awesome Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Mario Kart, Castlevania, and Starfox would be on this device...

Wolfcoyote

Wolfcoyote said:

@skywake
Really? I guess that's what happens when one relies on Wikipedia so much :P. I checked the site again and saw that the statement was still there so I jumped to a conclusion. Still, the Tegra chip is supposedly for integrating ARM-based processing/graphics/instructions on a single chip, and since Nintendo has been using ARM-based technology for about ten years now (since the first GBAs) I thought that the plans for the new Tegra were still in place. Guess we'll find out more at E3.

Regarding the Gamecube architecture, (looking at Game Informer, October 2000 issue), I doubt if IBM would be interested in partnering with Nintendo over reducing the size of the Gekko chip for a handheld (heat must be taken into consideration) but then again, the Nintendo/IBM/ATI partnership for consoles has been successful enough. Still, the Tegra was announced and it has all of the capabilities that a handheld gaming manufacturer would want.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Regardless of whether or not this rumor is true, Nintendo will release a much better model of the 3DS within a year of its launch, two tops. I'll wait until then, and until it's had a chance to build a respectable library, before I invest in one.

As much as I love Nintendo, I really don't like how they seem bent on releasing a new handheld every year. I'm looking at you too, Sony.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@pikmaniac: Yes, about four, I think. I see them through GameStop occasionally.

October...that would really be something if true, but I'll need Nintendo confirmation. And I agree with the others who say this article should've been listed RUMOR, not NEWS.

metaknave

metaknave said:

Already??!! If this is true, then I'd better start saving. Good thing I didn't get any DSi's! :)

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

While I think it's exciting and I am really anxious to see the 3DS in action. I think October is a little too soon.

skywake

skywake said:

@Wolfcoyote
well the Wii consumes ~19W peak and its processor combo consumes 20% less power than the Gamecube did even though it has twice the horsepower. If you consider the time since the Wii launched and do some basic maths (half the horsepower consumes half the power, another 20% efficiency improvement since the Wii)... they should be able to make something similar to the Gamecube that consumes less than 4W.

I found a site which reports that the DS lite consumes ~2 - 5W depending on screen brightness (~2W if the screens are off). We all know the DS lite has awesome battery life so 4W is definitely very close to plausible. Especially considering that the 19W included the power optical drive consumes in the first calculation.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Yeah, seems weird that they'd be releasing 2DS Pokemon games the same time they'd be releasing this. Also, if the 3DS launches October in Japan, it probably won't make it to the rest of us before X-mas, giving us a little bit more time to not regret our DSi purchases.

There's only one way this will be a day one purchase for me - 3DS VC. Otherwise, I'll wait until it builds a bit of a library. It'll take even longer if you can't transfer DSiWare (since I'll probly need to trade in or sell my DSi to help pay for it given the stacked Wii library this year).

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

DS is 5 years old. Time for a true successor, and remember this: NA got DS and Wii first ;)

CharlieRod

CharlieRod said:

The DSi was probably just to hold us out til this and give us hope or something before something big happens.

y2josh

y2josh said:

^^The DSi was to sap more money out of something that was about to (forcefully) die out :)

Joetherocker

Joetherocker said:

Alright, I'm getting $35 tomorrow and having a yard sale later in the month. It's a good start.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

Well, I guess it'll be worth taking a look. I'll wait a few weeks after its release for any announcements on a an even newer DS. I guess I gotta settle eventually though.

jakew161

jakew161 said:

if this plays old ds games, will this switch to a 2-d mode or convert it?
is it even possible?

anyway, like the other post about wii's and online, could this fix the issues, especially if this is a proper new platform??

jorenmartijn

jorenmartijn said:

Awesome, though they (not Nintendo) need to seriously find a new termology for this "3D" stuff. I mean, the current DS already does 3D, just like the N64, GameCube and Wii. It just doesn't pop out from the screen, but it's essentially 3D if your character can walk/drive/fly around in a space with an X, Y, Z axis.
I do seriously hope the 3DS has at least Cube-level graphical power with room to spare. That rumored tilting capability and vibration motor would be cool, too.

odd69

odd69 said:

I still have just the DS Lite. I'm very behind on Nintendo handhelds LOL. I'm guessing ill buy the dsi XL if i decide to upgrade.

Omega

Omega said:

The mysterious man, whose identity is unkown, has revealed that the Nintendo 3DS uses photonic Crystals instead of microchips. He further said, that it is also likely that the new Nintendo handheld can play both PS3- and XBox360 games as well. Can we believe him? ;-)

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

Well I knew the DSi was just a way to make money as the DSi is just a modified DS & this had over 3 years in development.
So now I correct here & at least the DSiware is not going to waste.
The 3D projection means this would actully have a power boost unlike the DSi which only has a faster WI-FI.

WTF to the DSi from the start & 3DS FTW.

JimLad

JimLad said:

@V8 Ninja
I called it! :P two weeks ago in that story about Pokémon Black and White coming out around the same time.
Although my best call was on IGN a month before the DSi was announced, I posted saying the next DS should have a camera and be called 'DSi' no joke. :o
Anyway it's not a competition so, yay 3D! I look forward to hearing some impressions from E3. This years show is shaping up to be Nintendos best since 2006.

Inigo_Montoyia

Inigo_Montoyia said:

Everyone should just settle down and wait until E3 on June 16th! Don't believe this 100%; even if it could most likely be only if Japan was getting it first! But yes... E3 this year will be EPIC & Nintendo's BEST since a seriously long time! ;)

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

Not going to get it at launch, but I want it. With an early release, that means I can easily wait for any bundles to come out, or any other new iterations. :)

Gogata

Gogata said:

October :D? My birthday is then! I might get it but I still think it sucks that they will release it so fast...

Zach

Zach said:

Hey everyone, sorry for not adding that this technically qualifies as rumor. After I read your comments, I immediately wrote my editors and administrators to notify them of this. Sorry for any confusion or dissatisfaction that this caused, and thank you much for the comments regarding this. I will learn from this lesson and apply it to my future news articles. On a related note, I read all of the comments that I get on my news stories and reviews, so if you have anything to say regarding them, please comment and know that I will hear what you have to say. Thank you for reading Nintendo Life!

JustYourAverageBleh

JustYourAverageBleh said:

I do hope Nintendo has found an ingenious way of storing and transferring DSi Ware purchases. somewhat like iTunes but Nintendo-ish.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

You do know they keep track of all your purchases from the DSiWare shop. Perhaps you can somehow transfer an account number to one 3DS. It's a possibility

EdEN

EdEN said:

Seems too soon since that would mean developers have had kits since the end of 2009 and that would have leaked the info a lot sooner.

KrazyKain

KrazyKain said:

I wonder if we'll be able to transfer DSiWare, cos i know for atleast one of my friends that will be a deciding factor

M00se

M00se said:

ill get a 3ds when they have interesting games and when the technology lives up to itself. then ill get one.

Toon_Link

Toon_Link said:

I probably won't get a 3DS unless it has Virtual Handheld or some game that I absolutely need.

FinalFantisiac

FinalFantisiac said:

It's impossible not to have a 3D defined screen in front of your eyes at all times that gives you the 3D illusion. But if so, it's still pointless.