Excitebike: World Rally Coming To WiiWare

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Track editor, online multiplayer and more

Nintendo's long-dormant Excitebike franchise has seen two entries proper: the original NES release and a 3D sequel in the form of Excitebike 64. Yeah, the Excite name has lived on in the excellent Wii releases Excite Truck and the more recent Excitebots: Trick Racing, but Bike fans know they're just not the same.

But good things come to those who wait. Announced on the latest Nintendo Week show on the Nintendo Channel, Excitebike: World Rally is an honest-to-goodness sequel to the NES original slated to hit WiiWare on November 9 in the US.

Using a similar 2D side view to the original, the WiiWare release features revamped 3D graphics that retain the feel of the NES title. Players can take on friends and foes over the Nintendo WiFi Connection, the track editor is back and both motion and classic control options are in.

There's a full-blown trailer on the show too, so fire up that channel and get Excite-d.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

DO WANT! Excitebike rocks and I hope this leads to future re-imagining of 8-Bit titles like Devil World and Ice Climbers

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@chunky_droid: Gee, I'd like the chance to play the ORIGINAL Devil World.:|

This COULD be good, if they improved upon the original game enough. It's still not what I wanted the announcement to be...not even close.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Should be awesome. If I spend even a quarter of the time I spent with the clunky old original making tracks and playing them with friends, this will be well worth the download.

EDIT: It IS a shame that you can't play the original Devil World, @Stuffgamer. But if you'd like to approximate the experience, just play some Pac-Man with a broken controller...and a pair of smelly underpants wrapped around your head, while somebody beats you in the chest with splintery wooden boards. It's that good!

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

So this is only the exact same game with a shiny new cover? Yeah... I'm gonna pass... I understand the nostalgia factor, but the conceptual difference between Excite Bike and something like Family Slot Car Racing isn't exactly ginormous... Maybe it's just me, but when I play racing games... I kinda like being able to turn (Unirally is the obvious exception of course)...

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Chicken Brutus: Some people seem to like it. It's the fact that it's represented in Brawl and PiCTOBiTS that makes me want to try it. And you have to admit, it's BS that we don't have it yet since Japan's had it forever and Europe got it a full year ago.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I'm not feeling it. I never played Excitebike originally. The first time was on Gamecube Animal Crossing and I didn't enjoy it much. Although I did quite enjoy Excite Truck (but even that got old and repetitive). But for those who do like NES Excitebike, its cool for them.

Luigi-La-Bouncy

Luigi-La-Bouncy said:

I'm excited. Nearly got the NES classic for free but changed my mind at the last second. Now I can wait for this one. Very good idea Nintendo, more please!

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

WOW! This is impressive Nintendo, I like that you cared enough to bring back the Excietike franchise, and in such an excellent manor at that!

Metroid133

Metroid133 said:

Only Excite game I have is Excitebots.....maybe I'll amend that by buying this and the original one on the same day sometime.

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

I agree with Metal Mario
Please release Kid Icarus : The Legendary Bow
and Wii not Wiiware.. Wiiware is watered down and low budget. Please work on a full fledged epic version!!!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I hope this leads to future re-imagining of 8-Bit titles like Devil World

I am beginning to think you are obsessed with Devil World.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

I've always loved the original Excitebike, so this one's a must for me. Can't wait!

Now Nintendo, be a doll and release Excitebike 64 along with it, k?

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

@MetalMario: i strongly second the Kid Icarus. i'd almost prefer Kid Icarus WiiWare to Kid Icarus Wii. and it would be easier for Ninty.

i could go for a Wrecking Crew WiiWare, too, as i never played it, but always heard great things, or a Donkey Kong WiiWare, since the Gameboy one was SO AWESOME.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

To reiterate my comment in the thread, regarding the video: where are the wipeouts?? Who in their right mind would produce ExciteBike footage sans crashes, both accidental and malicious? It also looks as if the bikes aren't angling at all in the air.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Hey that looks good Bass, what's that? Some kind of downloadable game for the PC? Some kind of game unlockable?

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Insta-buy. I put so much time in to the original back in the day. And you couldn't even save the track designs!

... now waiting on a WiiWare update of Mach Rider ...

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

Can't say I am excited about it. ;/

But at least they didn't go to the lame route by announcing something like Castlevania: Rebirth. :rolleyes:

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

#34 - its from Excitebike 64. There's a full proper motocross game in there as well, not just a 3D version of NES Excitebike. I'd rather have that than a brand new WiiWare version.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Wow, November? Talk about keeping it close to the vest!

Oh, and Devil World really is awesome.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Loved the original as a kid, so I am a fan of the series...but not sure how I am feeling about this "new" version. I think I would rather just DL the original, and get a nice slap of nostalgia across my face.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

VERY excited. Excitebike 64 was kind of dissapointing. Glad the series is getting back to its roots (even though I have really enjoyed ExciteTruck and ExciteBots)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Excitebike 64 was kind of dissapointing.

I never played it but it looked good in pics and videos for an N64 game.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Cool.
Nintendo needs to make more updates just like this for WiiWare imo.

Brionkendo

Brionkendo said:

My fav thing about excite bike was making absolutely brutal tracks and watching my friends try to play them... and get super frustrated

dgold

dgold said:

ExciteTruck is probably my most-played and favorite game on Wii.

Also I remember ExciteBikes from the arcade. Is the new ExciteBike: World Rally for WiiWare going to take any of the features from ExciteTruck and ExciteBots?

iphys

iphys said:

Nice! This looks like an instant download unless they manage to find some way to screw this game up.

timp29

timp29 said:

LOL what the hell show was that? That guy is classic dork... and did that hot chick stumble onto the wrong set??
Extra LOL @ her fist pump of excite-ment.

Stargazer

Stargazer said:

Yay! I made a moist spot.

Not really. If they announce a Treasure-developed Star Fox then I will need to spot-clean the couch.

TeMPO

TeMPO said:

That's a pretty pleasant surprise. I used to love the original on NES. Instant download for me...if it has a EU release.

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Never really played the origional, maybe I'll get this. But I want a sequel to Excitebike 64.

ReZon

ReZon said:

@Xkhaoz - Excitebike 64 doesn't get enough love. It was a great game!

Definitely interested in this... hope it's not too pricey.

blank_user_1

blank_user_1 said:

Ha ha ha... it makes me laugh to watch the Nintendo Show without actually watching it on my Wii. They're like "you heard it here-- EXCLUSIVELY-- first!" and I'm like, "No, I didn't."

Sounds good.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

I don't like that guy on the right. He looks like a child molester.

I think he is a child molester!

Junkface

Junkface said:

Awe man they should show clips of the 9/21 episode of the Muramasa release party in NYC! I was the old dork swinging the foam club at the screen and than taking pictures of the ninjas with my DSI. Yeah I'm nintendo channel famous lol.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Junkface: You described yourself quite aptly, as that's just what I was thinking when I saw you in that video: "What's with that dork?":D

timp29

timp29 said:

LOL @ the still of that video, the guy looks like hes thinking of doing nasty things to that girl

JimLad

JimLad said:

Yay, more retro sequels on WiiWare please!
Duck Hunt
Ice Climber
Balloon Fight
would all make good updates.

Adam

Adam said:

To barge in on a dead conversation... Devil World indeed sucks. In fact, it is without a doubt the worst Nintendo-published game I've played. If it were made today, it could almost be passed off as a Nintendo / B-Plus collaboration. :O

plankton88

plankton88 said:

Very nice. My first memory of the original was at the arcade. Somehow the joystick made it more fun.

Pawtrick

Pawtrick said:

If the online runs smoothly (I am still doubtful of Wii's online capabilities) I'll likely pick it up.

Ryuuga

Ryuuga said:

@72: I wish BitBoy was 10% as good as Devil World. DW isn't a masterpiece from Shigeru Miyamoto, but it's a nice and fun pacman clone.

Nice to see an old Nintendo game getting a simple 3D remake for wiiware. I guess that if this game sells well, they might come with more remakes like Ballon Fight and Kid Icarus! :D

SMW

SMW said:

Excitebike! I didn't care too much for ExciteTruck/ExciteBots, but I LOVED the original Excitebike! Glad to see the level designer come back, those are always sweet.

Day one!

OT: So that's Nintendo Week? I never took the time to watch those on the Nintendo Channel; looks a bit cheesy. :P

EDIT: Ryuuga, Balloon Fight, now theres something I'd buy. Despite the waggle, I loved seeing Balloon Fight in 3D in Wario Ware. I'd buy a new Balloon Fight any day.

Machu

Machu said:

I'm super excited about this. Not as excited as I would be if Excitebike 64 hit VC, or if Excitebike Wii was announced, but still, it's very exciting.

vherub

vherub said:

the soundtrack beeps and boops for the nes game are still stuck in my memory

City_Of_Delusion

City_Of_Delusion said:

I'll be saving my points for Excitebike 64, where you have have a 3d replica of the original Excitebike as part of the game, not all of the game.

odd69

odd69 said:

I'm not a fan of racing games but excite bike is just awesome. As a young child i remember making tracks and then playing them, it was truly fun. So once again i get have at it. I don't care about everything else this game has to offer, i just need the track editor thank you. Woot.

moroboshi

moroboshi said:

The game looks fun and a nice retro update, but the TV show the footage comes from.. Wow, just wow. It's concentrated cheese made by and for retarded people. Just staggeringly awful.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Excitebike (NES) is fantastic!
Excitebike 64 (Nintendo 64) is even more fantastic!
Excite Truck (Wii) is fantastic on its own fantastic way!

I think even Excitebots: Trick Racing (Wii) and that Super Famicom Stellaview Mario Excitebike game are fantastic, but they're not out here in Europe, I couldn't play them.

Excitebike: World Rally seems to be equally fantastic. That's all the classic Excitebike needed to be played again: online multiplayer and level editor. I have a question though: Does anybody know if there's offline multiplayer too?

I'd also like to play an Excitebike 64 sequel.

JeanLuc_Vaycard

JeanLuc_Vaycard said:

I'm glad they aren't making us wait too long for it in NA. Ever since they announced this I've been thinking about playing it every day. Sad I know.