Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS User Interface Shows Off a Wii U Menu

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Customisable character sharing the likely function

As is the case relatively often in recent times, Masahiro Sakurai has used his Pic of the Day on a Friday to show something of a slightly higher significance than normal. This time around it's the user interface (UI) from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, and the focus is on one particular button.

At the bottom left of the main screen are icons for StreetPass and, most pleasingly, Wii U. Before we get to some informed speculation, details from the posts are below.

Pic of the day. For the first time ever, I present to you…the main menu for the 3DS version!! The icons are even animated. The design concept may look similar if you've played other games I've worked on. But we had a hard time making this one because…

The bottom screen displays pictures matching each mode! This was quite a task for the UI (User Interface) designers, but they made it happen. Kudos to them! You can tap the screen to look up additional info like how to play--complete with diagrams.

What will the Wii U button do? Unless there's been an unexpected change in development it won't be direct cross-play between the two versions. However, when making that clear last year, Masahiro Sakurai did state that the aim was to deliver "stress free, easy connectivity" between the versions for transferring customisable characters. With the subsequent addition of Mii characters as well as details on the various customisable move-sets that will be possible, that menu opens the door for that data transfer between systems.

Nintendo may have more surprises in store, naturally, and there are other areas of the UI yet to be explained in detail, including the structure of the StreetPass feature.

Are you still excited about potential features between the Wii U and 3DS versions, and maybe hoping for a little more than transferring customised characters? Do you think you'll buy both versions? Let us know in the comments below.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Related Games

Dawn-Shade

Dawn-Shade said:

stream from 3DS to the TV?
use the 3DS as controller?
bonus content from connecting both system?

Pittoo

Pittoo said:

Tells us no cross play, but puts it in anyway? Hoorah!... One can dream.

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

I think the Wii U button is one of the two things:
1- Save transfer
2- Wii U version demo code, I wish.

AlexOlneyStaff

AlexOlney said:

@Dawn-Shade 3DS as a controller would actually be in incredibly smart move.

'Want to play the Wii U version?'
'But you only have the gamepad'
'Fret ye not, young one' etc.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

It's actually the entire Wii U game, and your 3DS magically Mega Evolves into a Wii U when you press that button.

Franklin

Franklin said:

The Wii U button will allow you to directly purchase and order a Wii U.

Nintendo are desperate to tap into the 3DS success to shore up the failing home console.

Ricube

Ricube said:

And the Games icon in the lower right? And why does the challenge button has so thin outlines?

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Yeah, heard the two versions would interact, but he would talk about that later. And this was said during the Smash Direct...tell us, Sakurai! x3

TradeMark

TradeMark said:

What the button SHOULD do imo. When connecting to the Wii U version of the game, you unlock all of the 3DS stages for your Wii U game, at least the ones you've already unlocked. It will likely never happen, but I can dream.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

"Games and more", I love the sound of that button! ^o^

Okay, surely it will contain the database (Trophies etc), the new minigame for get trophies, the options and most likely even the amiibo management, but that alone not sound like enough "Games"... wonder what else that little button is hiding...

Nintendzoey

Nintendzoey said:

I hope it's not additional content that you can get on your 3DS if you also have a Wii U. I don't have a Wii U and I don't plan to get one either. I never play the home consoles anymore, I prefer the handhelds (why I have both a 3DS and a Vita). I still have my Wii but don't play on that either.

hoennfreak

hoennfreak said:

I think that the Wii U option might possibly include controller options( maybe use 3DS as a smash U controller, or use gc controller hooked up to wii u for smash 3DS controller?)

Kirk

Kirk said:

No offense but I've always found the Smash menus a bit of a convoluted mess. They're just visually messy and clunky imo, like some 13 years was given a set of button stickers and told to place them wherever they wanted on the screen.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Realistically, I'm thinking this is either an option to use your 3DS as a controller, some sort of data transfer, or possibly both.

Inkling

Inkling said:

The Wii U button shall turn your 3DS into a Wii U and never stop playing Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up

BlackSpy

BlackSpy said:

Masahiro Sakurai does such a good job in video game design.
He deserves a vacation when this Smash Bros is done :)

xerneas

xerneas said:

I'm pretty sure it's just a transfer button for dlc and customizable characters and whatever they have made up. I'm not gonna buy the 3DS version but I'm still intrigued..! Especially about what happens when you press it before the Wii U version has come out lol.

xInsomniax

xInsomniax said:

As a note, the entire top screen is positioned like a giant "S". Most likely referring to "S"mash Bros.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I'm still prioritizing the Wii U version, but I'm getting more and more interested in the 3DS iteration.

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

I bet one thing it'll do is transfer all the characters you unlocked over to the Wii U version, or vice versa. Same with trophies.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I wouldn't call the Wii U icon a "menu", but looking over that, the menu itself looks nice and simple. It's also bright like the menus in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Kid Icarus: Uprising.

I agree that the Wii U icon might be about the data transfer of customization characters and probably not cross-play. The Challenge icon might be a new name for Event Match. Games & More should be where the extra modes like Trophy Rush, Home-Run Contest, and the Trophy Gallery are.

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

@Nintendzoey So you want less content just because YOU don't want a Wii U for a game that is gonna be heavily marketed on the Wii U front and not the 3DS? You're smart huh?
@Franklin Ahem Nintendoom was all last year. A failing console is one that had been given up on like the Vita.
@Azooooz Haha have faith!

FlaygletheBagel

FlaygletheBagel said:

I don't know if I like the idea of Smash Run taking up such a prominent space on the main menu. I didn't realize that was their main single player mode on 3DS. It's okay, I guess, but I was hoping there'd be more single player modes revealed than just that one. Even a revamped Classic mode would've been nice... I don't know. Maybe they hid something like that in the "Smash" or "Games and More" buttons.

I trust Sakurai as far as content is concerned though, so 3DS is still a day one purchase for me.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Is there a level editor? Maybe we can exchange levels? We know they took out Subspace Emissary, they cant take out the level editor too, can they? We haven't heard a single thing extra in the Wii U version yet that Im aware of. Well I guess amiibo are new, but they really seem more gimmicky than useful.

Microwaveable1

Microwaveable1 said:

If you can move the menu around like in Kid Icarus Uprising then I'm sold. I'm gonna be sold either way though. :P

Mega719

Mega719 said:

@xerneas Sakurai already said not long after E3 2013 that he has no plans for DLC. Doubt he would change his mind seeing all the content that's in the games already.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Yeah may just be for customizable characters such as a Mii Fighter and Amiibo. Also so if you already unlock all characters before the Wii U you may be able to transfer them all

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

Realistically, I'm thinking its just to move custom mii and amiibo characters back and forth. I'm open to surprises though!

Desrever

Desrever said:

The Wii U icon doesn't do anything. It just serves as a reminder to 3DS owners that the Wii U exists.

Nintendzoey

Nintendzoey said:

@ModestFan93 I am just saying that I hope the 3DS version will have all in-game content meant for the 3DS (without the necessity of a Wii U to unlock any additional content made for the 3DS).

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@EarthboundBenjy

Kid Icarus Uprising, his first 3DS game, also had the battery indicator. I find that terribly useful. I hate when the blinking light is the only indicator of a low battery without having to interrupt my game by going to the Home menu.

I like that menu, the bad thing is that it is for the top screen so you can't touch the options to select them. Small nitpick, but I love to select my options by touching them if possible.

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

Instantly buying both versions anyway, though I have to admit I kinda feel the 3DS version will end up being mostly a warm-up to the Wii U version. Which is also the only rational reasoning I could think of as to why they would release the 3DS version first. Well that and the 3DS version just being easier to develop.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Aside of a direct character data transfer, I also think the WiiU button will enable cross-play between both platforms.
However! Considering the complicated nature of the Packet Relay Tools for MH3U on WiiU - you needed a LAN adapter to make use of that program, because the WiiU's wifi signal was used to connect to the 3DS (which goes into Local Mode for that time, and that's also using the same connection signal as wifi). I kinda expect this option to work identically, with online play only being possible through a LAN adapater.

@sinalefa I kinda suspect that the game might offer an option to flip the functions of both screens.

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

There are two things that i'm curious about:
1:The Wii U Button (Probably for sending customized characters, screenshots, and replays to your Wii U.)
2. The StreetPass button (Maybe there will be an image that'll show your Mii and global smash power!)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

@FlaygletheBagel: There's still a Classic Mode. From interpreting gameplay footage, it looks like it'll have the same difficulty system as Kid Icarus: Uprising and there are branching paths over a map that allow you to pick your matches. It's also quite clear that it will be under "Games & More" along with Home-Run Contest and the trophy gallery.

I also like that this game will show how much battery power you have like Kid Icarus: Uprising and Star Fox 64 3D. I wish more 3DS games had that feature.

Bizzyb

Bizzyb said:

Classic Sakurai menu screen

From Kirby's Air ride to Meteos and Kid Icarus Uprising. Best parts is they are always so clean, distinct and sometimes even interactive.

VolcanoFlamesNL

VolcanoFlamesNL said:

Hmm. Intrigued about the Wii U icon there. This is so similar to Kid Icarus but with dark toned colors.
Haven't we seen this menu before?

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

The Challenges icon looks way out of place. Online does too, but no where near as bad...

HopeNForever

HopeNForever said:

Am I the only one who is concerned that all the menu buttons are on the top screen instead of the bottom touch screen?

Liquid_ice

Liquid_ice said:

I like how the icons form the letter 'S'. It will be interesting to see what sort of connectivity the game will have with Wii U . 'Games & More'? I suppose trophies, records and settings will be there, but what does 'games' mean in this case?

Amadou

Amadou said:

I pre-ordered both versions a long ass time ago! I do hope that stage builder makes it back and that there is a wider variety of customization options for what you can add to stages. It would be cool to make your own backgrounds even!!

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Does anybody else care about the "Games and More" section? It could just be a few Game Boy or NES trials... but who knows?

WreckItRyan

WreckItRyan said:

Looks great! …although, not sure if I'm the only one, but that Challenge icon looks like it doesn't belong.