Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn Slam Dunks Its Funding Goal

Posted by Jake Shapiro

Kazaaming his way onto your Wii U

New Jersey developer Big Deez Productions has finally passed its $450,000 crowdfunding goal on Indiegogo for the upcoming Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn, set to hit Wii U, PC, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360; it raised $473,884 of its $450,000 goal, hitting its target relatively late in the day.

When it made its début to huge fanfare and direct involvement from Shaquille O'Neal himself, A Legend Reborn struggled to reach its initial audience. Yet after promoting Wii U support from stretch goal to base goal and distancing the game from its infamous 1994 predecessor, Shaq has finally pulled through.

Will you be picking up Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn when it finally dribbles onto Wii U? Let us know in the comments.

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip.

[via indiegogo.com]

Razzle

Razzle said:

$450,000!!! Lordy Lordy that is a lot of money. I have no idea how they hit this target.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

I'm definitely looking forward to this lol
Never played the original (probably for the better, judging from the comments of MANY other people ;) ), but the trailer still cracks me up with its "over-the-top-ness" and that ridiculously fugly main character :D

Laxeybobby

Laxeybobby said:

I've always wondered since these Kickstarter campaigns have been publicised, is what protection does an investor (if thats the right word) have. For example if you pledge an amount because you want to see the game on WiiU. The game reaches its target, so your pledge is deducted from your account, then six months down the line the game is canned or they just never get around to a WiiU version. Do you get your money back? Or is this the risk pledgers take?
This question is the only thing that's stopped me for pledging/investing cause I cant believe this type of money raising hasn't got a few fraudsters amongst its ranks.
BTW In no way am I saying this game or the developer is in that category, it was just a question i wanted to ask,

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

I was surprised they reached the goal until I saw the campaign page. Lots of the high-cost prizes got claimed OoO; Shaq has a lot of rich fans litterally ready to pay any sum just for meet him once >o>;
(Althought I guess it's not that shocking since how famous the man is worldwide ^^; )

@Laxeybobby As far as I remember you said it right, once funded your money are gone forever (which is reasonable, no company can start to work on a project based on money they could have to refound entirely, that's a suicide even for nice honest companies ^_^; ). That's why is important to fund trustable campaigns and pledge only amounts you can "sacrifice".

Marshi

Marshi said:

I will look at it like a crazy hobo walking accross the street who may or may not do something entertaining...

Dreamz

Dreamz said:

@Laxeybobby
It is simply a good faith donation. There is ZERO protection for such contributions. Hence why I've only ever donated to one kickstarter project (I was already familiar with the head developers from having played several of their other titles).

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

Adding a Wii U version as a base goal or easy to reach stretch goal really gets many games funded - yet another reason why indy devs love the Wii U.

WalupeachyTime

WalupeachyTime said:

Wait, what? Out of the campaigns, I thought this was one of the least likely to succeed. Still, it could be alright when it comes out.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Lol this is ridiculous. Kinda cool though as a novelty game for old-school gamers.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I didn't ask for this and I don't think it will be good, but if it turns out well I might actually pick it up.

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

O'Neal should be billionaire, if I don't miss something, so why wouldn't he fund this project himself, in the first place?

ekreig

ekreig said:

@SuperCharlie78 Because, honestly, he could probably care less about some video game. I imagine the developers approached him with the idea and he was like "sure why not". He isn't in any way obligated to fund this.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

I'm kinda looking forward to this, as one of the (apparently) few people who liked the original. Was it a ridiculous premise? Sure, but that's hardly anything new in gaming. Was it the most refined fighting game of its time? Of course not, though I think some people forget how "unrefined" a lot of games from that era were.
Now, I'm also not willing to pay top dollar for it, either.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Look at this one getting so much money and Cult County could not make 50 grands...

If they play their cards well this could be fun.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

This sure to be a real blue chip. Bring on "Barkley's Shut Up And Jam: Rebirth".

CharlieLoneWolf

CharlieLoneWolf said:

The original was wacky as hell. Hopefully this new one has great gameplay, while retaining the original's quirkiness. Shaq rules! I watched Kazaam so much when it was released. Another completely nuts thing that Shaq was involved in. Haha

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Pfft. Way too many other titles of interest to get even a curiosity download, for me.

Zach

Zach said:

I cannot wait for this. I love the over the top Shaqness. Oh man. @sinalefa I agree, I thought that was odd, but I heard this one had awesome backer gifts like dinner with Shaq, Shaq DJ'ing a party, etc... seeing as how much $ an NBA fanatic might spend, I am not surprised that they were able to do it! Well I'm happy.

I wanted Cult County a lot too. Maybe if this is a success they can team up and make that Shaq shooter after all, and it'll finally see funding. Shaq County.

sugarshack

sugarshack said:

@SuperCharlie78

I agree about Shaq funding a measly $450,000 but you are completely off base with him being a billionaire. Multi millionaire yes, billionaire no.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Never played the first one so I'm not bias when it comes to this game. Glad it got funded and for the Wii U to boot. I'm probably going to give it a buy when it comes out (that retail price is scaring me off a bit).

If it's one thing I learn in life is never judge something new based off something in it's past (pre/sequels, remake, revive, etc.), cause it may never turn out the same.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

that game is not allowed anywhere near my wii u.
but shaqs girlfriend is...

JustinH

JustinH said:

@ekreig Not really true. Take a look at the big-ticket items for high pledges — Shaq is spending a fair amount of time to promote this game.

Chouzetsu

Chouzetsu said:

I didn't think they could do it, but they did! I will pick it up if it gets good reviews.

Thats-what-shy

Thats-what-shy said:

@Razzle Yes. 450K is a lot of money to you and I, but in game development terms, it's pennies.
They must be receiving additional funding elsewhere, otherwise, there's no way this game is getting made for under half a million.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I was against this due to 'our' efforts to destroy every copy of Shaq-Fu ever produced, but if this turns out to be a nice multiplayer beat-em-up and not a fighting game, well, I will cautiously let the gameplay videos and reviews speak for themselves before I decide on buying or not.

sinister18

sinister18 said:

Sadly I was 12 yrs old when I played the first game and I still remember that turd of a game very well. It should have been buried in the desert next to ET . I cant believe it got a sequel smh.

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

I hope the game has unlockable Shaq tin a fool clips.And yes ,I'll purchase if it's not absolutely terrible.