Amazon Germany Offers an Exclusive Steelbook Edition of Mario Kart 8

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Check this beauty out

Whenever the phrase 'steelbook' appears in relation to a limited edition game release, our interest is immediately piqued. Some of team Nintendo Life are still insanely jealous of the Metroid Prime Trilogy steelbook that was released in North America but not in Europe, for example. Metal is lovely for game packaging.

It seems German Wii U owners are in luck, then, as Amazon Germany is listing a Steelbook edition of Mario Kart 8 as an exclusive — it costs €69.99 as opposed to the standard €59.99. Just look at it, though.

Let us know just how jealous you are of our German friends in the comments below.

[via amazon.de, neogaf.com]

King47

King47 said:

It's very sad that more interested in what type of steel it is.
But I world suo love to have that.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

I just wanna make a bad german joke now. But I'm afraid I'll get banned :(

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Nintenjoe64 It should be the default.

(When they stopped having the cost of making the cartridges they never reduced the price to account for the inferior quality of the product).

Mean that carrying the games around in a bag with other stuff doesn't end up trashing the case. (Dinting the steel is less of an issue as long as it is done so the game doesn't get trashed).

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

It's not possible to get the steelbook with the limited edition (Blue Shell trophy one), right?

Sonicfan11589

Sonicfan11589 said:

If it comes out here in the US, i MIGHT get it as opposed to originally purchasing the digital version.

Sonicfan11589

Sonicfan11589 said:

It DOES look tempting but i usually don't give in to limited editions, the only time was the original Dead or Alive 5 and i learned a lesson when it came to DLC.

Sonicfan11589

Sonicfan11589 said:

Sorry, i hope i don't seem like i am bashing it, if it is only country's price + 10, that isn't that bad of a difference in the price of the regular edition and the steelbook.

GregDavisBlows

GregDavisBlows said:

I have the Prime Trilogy in a steelbook and it's awesome, however, even if this came to the states, I would still download MK8.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

I would of loved a steelbook version of Metroid Prime Trilogy, alas a slipcase will have to suffice.

Spartacus3765

Spartacus3765 said:

Still holding out on my pre-order here in the US in hopes for something popping up cough limited edition with spike shell trophy cough. The Best Buy thing ($10 gas card) seems to be the best option so far...which is kinda lame IMO.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Did they also take all the swastika symbols out of MK8 too? (Lol, sorry, terrible Wolfenstein The New Order joke)

brewsky

brewsky said:

@Brickbuild101 Exactly my point. We get something that is by no means a collectible. Yeah, great bonus. And the cost of gas for driving to Best Buy and back for me is greater than $10. Not worth it.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

Amazon Germany is €10 more expensive than Amazon UK. Regular MK8 game is £40 on UK site, that's a little less than €50.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Want this so much hopefully someone might put the case on ebay
I still want the metroid prime trilogy steel box :(

Discostew

Discostew said:

Priced higher? I remember getting the MPT, steel case and everything, for $20 at Bestbuy. I even found my receipt on an old hard drive to make sure I wasn't crazy.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I never really liked Steelbook cases it always feels like I'm going to break the disc whenever I try to take one out of a Steelbook case.

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Stunning lucky germany now this would pick up wii u console's alone. this will become a real collectors peace in time.

KevTastic84

KevTastic84 said:

One thing about me buying the MK8 Wii bundle is i won't have a physical copy of the game. It's a tradition i love to own physical copies. I may end up just buying a promotional box just to have something on my shelf. Sad i know.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Gorgeous, but why never where I live? :( Well, I have the limited edition on preorder, so I can live with it I guess. Still... Limited edition should include this as well!

outburst

outburst said:

It's 59.99 euros. Now I'm thinking of canceling my pre-order on GameStop... Hmmmm....

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@Tlink7 I said that because Europe is getting all the cool bundles and specials (in NA we get to choose from four games as suppose to the 8 or 10 NoE is giving away). I'm of German descent so I don't want to invade you. I just want the tin, lol. ;-)

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

If this doesn't come to the U.S., I will probably find a way to order one of these cases online. I want it so badly!!! Come to think of it, this would make a great Club Nintendo platinum award...

Frapp

Frapp said:

Not jealous at all. Steelbooks do absolutely nothing for me.

Now, if it were a lenticular cover like Big Bang Mini's....

Untitled

HopeNForever

HopeNForever said:

I'm still happy with my copy of Metroid Prime: Trilogy which I managed to snag from a shelf of stray games back in 2012 for a standard price!

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Germany.. well.. that's one country East from where I live (Netherlands).

Meanwhile we're only going to get a stupid keychain.

But ofcourse, Amazon.de delivers to the Netherlands.. :p

Katzii

Katzii said:

@brewsky That there's no point in complaining on a website every time a region (or, in this case, one country within a region) gets something you don't, because your region also gets things that other regions don't.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Not jealous at all. Know why? Cause I'm importing that sucker lol...

If I recall correctly, France had a steelbook case for Mario Kart 7. I never did get around to importing that one, but I'll be sure to grab me one of these off ebay. Probably run about $100 for one with the game (and the game I don't need), but hey, that's the price you gotta pay sometimes...

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Lovely piece of metal, there. I'm happy with my arrangement, but I do loves me some metal casing.

FX102A

FX102A said:

Better than any bonus the UK is getting so far (haven't checked all sites yet).

bubs

bubs said:

Price dropped to standard version, so it's 59,99 now. Since it's pre-order, if the price drops before the article has been delievered, you pay less as well.

PS4

PS4 said:

@Spartacus3765 Dell offers a $25 GC if you buy it though them...
Just add the game to cart, and the GC should be auto added assuming the offers still good...