Super Mario McDonald's Happy Meals Hit the Flagpole in the UK on 19th March

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Pictures, so many pictures!

Not long ago we shared the surprisingly glorious news that Super Mario McDonald's Happy Meals were coming to the UK, a clever piece of marketing due to the ongoing popularity of the ever-present big M. The big N and M have now provided further information and, most importantly, images of the collectible toys.

There'll be eight in total that'll begin on 19th March, with a Super Mario-themed advertisement campaign joining the meals until 29th April. It's a good way to get the moustachioed mascot additional exposure and promote the brand, while it'll come with a message of activity and fun.

The toys will feature classic characters from the Mario series including Mario, Luigi, Toad, Donkey Kong and the classic Super Mushroom power-up. Four of the toys will be interactive including Mario’s Hovering Coin, Donkey Kong Barrel Projector, a Super Sound Mushroom and Mario’s Warp Pipe Embosser.

The Run, Jump and Power-Up with Super Mario promotion also aims to inspire children to get active using some of Super Mario’s moves. They will be encouraged to run, jump and complete active tasks set out by Mario and friends.

You can see all of the toys above and below. Beware parents, your youngster(s) may start bugging you for more trips to McDonald's in the coming weeks. As for us big kids, we'll be there too.

Will you collect them all?

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

I'll go inside McDonald's and be like "Rev up those fryers....." but they will know I want those Mario toys when I get there, so I would get them all.

.......The only problem is that I don't live in the UK :I

ToniK

ToniK said:

What does Donkey Kong project? Anyway, the toys look pretty sturdy and high quality at least in these (promo?) pictures.

tom_q

tom_q said:

I will be buying my friends Happy Meals to get those toys because there is no way I would eat them.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

I guarentee Mario wont look so happy around 30-40 mins later after eating there!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Nooooooo! I really wanted the Princess Peach one that European McDonalds had been getting recently.

617Sqn

617Sqn said:

I hate Mc'Donalds but might have to pop in for a pee and a happy meal. Because I love plastic tat! hee hee

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I am looking forward to these coming out, I collected the Lego Movie cups and now these. I won't mind if I get doubles, I think the big M will do two a week like they did with the cups. Their toys are getting better.

Zach

Zach said:

Oy, no female characters to be found, but the mushroom gets a toy.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

@FishieFish Yeah it is such a shame GAME pulled out of Ireland, used to get some great deals in there, prob why they pulled out, lost a lot of money, but now we just have Gamestop which is a total rip-off as we all know everywhere.

HMV is no better since they re-opened for Ninty stuff, sure they dont even stock Wii U games since Zelda WW HD came out in October, just launch games at crazy prices. I never go in there to buy anything. I tend to shop on CEX website, Amazon and ebay now. I miss going into stores to buy games and merch. Even The RAGE is a bit of a rip but they are independent so I like to have a look there, see if I can get a deal on a few things before I head to any other websites to get my retro gaming kicks.

Still though, LOVE happy meals :)

Quirky

Quirky said:

I'm pretty sure these are the same ones that were available from McDonald's in Spain about a year ago. At home we have the Yoshi, a Mario and a Luigi. They're surprisingly well made and have taken quite a beating.

Smooching

Smooching said:

You know, you can just buy these on eBay as they have been in several places in Europe already. That would also save you the trouble of having atherosclerosis.

craigmoss19

craigmoss19 said:

For those who don't want to eat the food, you can go in and buy them on their own for 99p

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

There will be people putting these on ebay for stupid prices
Looks like it's mcdonalds for the next 2 months then :)

617Sqn

617Sqn said:

Remember kids Ronald gives Lots and LOTS of money to the IRA, are not allowed to use the fair trade badge because they rip off their farmers, pay some UK workers less than the min wage ....... how bad do you want a mario toy!

Doma

Doma said:

But i thought Nintendo were readying themselves to be seen as the 'QoL improving' company?

cmk8

cmk8 said:

Where is Wario?!
Will he get his own month later? He should!!!

King47

King47 said:

Not even these will get me to eat at mcdonalds, but they do look interesting.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@WiiULoveGBA was thinking the same, maybe he ate a McDonald's and got fat?

These toys look as good as most Nintendo pre-order bonuses so I might have to take my nieces and nephew to Mc's!

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I thought Nintendo was trying to promote fitness and health with games like Wii Fit U and the impending new health focused platform Quality of Life?

Best to throw the food away and keep the toys, WAHOOO~!!! :O

Dr-Yay

Dr-Yay said:

While they look pretty cool, they're most likely made of cheap materials

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Man, those are some nice toys!
In US McD's you can just go in and buy the toy without getting a meal. It's like a dollar or so.

123akis

123akis said:

you can buy the toys without the happy meal, that's what i'm going to do!

Lord

Lord said:

I'm told the dk toy is a projector and three other will be interactive as well. Any ideas?

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

@Lord the articles says which: the mushroom has sounds, the pipe I think has a feature, and the coin is hovering? I think they might mean spinning though?

LJay

LJay said:

Aww man! Im gonna be smashing happy meals down my face like its the 1990s again! Woohoo! :D

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

Inspire kids to get healthy? I have no problem with people promoting to get fit but they overkill, especially you Michelee Obama.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

@Dr-Yay "While they look pretty cool, they're most likely made of cheap materials"

Yeah, that's McDonald's all right... but what about these toys?

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

damn i want to eat at a macdonalds right now to get those and where is shyguy,bobbomb,thwomp,whomp,bowser and even wario?

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

They'd better plug the heck out of Mario Kart 8 in all of the ads for these toys. Like, "Get a Super Mario toy with every McDonald's Happy Meal! And don't miss out as Mario redefines kart racing, in Mario Kart 8, coming to Wii U May 30th."

It'd be quite a shame if they miss such an obvious opportunity.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

cool, guess I'm back to McDonalds on weekends before work again. Only time I ever bother is the somewhat occasional Pony toys (which have been absent about 2 years now) and Nintendo/Sega promotions. Still have my Sonic LCD game around somewhere.