SEGA Working on Second Round of 3D Classics

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

May come worldwide if the first set sells well

This week saw the arrival of the first two titles in SEGA's range of 3D re-releases on the 3DS eShop, with 3D Space Harrier and 3D Super Hang-On. There are another six games coming in the next three weeks to give retro SEGA fans — and perhaps those trying them for the first time — a taste of old-school arcade and Genesis / Mega Drive titles.

The titles took their time coming to the West, but the positive news is that there could be more on the way. SEGA producer Yosuke Okunari answered a fan on Twitter to announce that a second batch of 3D re-releases are in the works for release in Japan, while the sales performance of the upcoming downloads will determine the fate of localisation in the West.

It'll be interesting to see which games will make it into this second set. We'd love to see Sonic the Hedgehog 2, ourselves — what about you?

[via twitter.com, nintendoeverything.com]

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I would like Gunstar Heroes because there is nothing of its type other than the single Commando : Steel Disaster which is a dsiware.

No interest whatsoever in Sonic 2 (Especially if the recent mobile versions are superior to the 3DS ones). I don't really like it anyway it is loads too easy.

I would like 3 & Knuckles because I don't have a good version. (And it looks like the way to do it with the Wii VC is pretty annoying).

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Sonic CD or Sonic 3 and Knuckles would be amazing as well as Streets of Rage 2.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

I got the first two and they run well. I will buy others released in this line. Why did Nintendo cancel the 3D Classics line anyway?

GuitarAnthony

GuitarAnthony said:

I want Sega to go further back in their history. Zaxxon, Space Fury, Star Trek, Congo Bongo...hell, they have a whole bunch of vector arcade games that would look awesome in 3d/

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The extra costs should be basically zero to do the translations for the West. (Especially as the original Megadrive cart in mamy cases has both languages in already). Or in the case of Arcade stuff it is one rom difference.

Don't like companies using the if you buy these then we might release something you actually do want tactic.

mattatron

mattatron said:

I bought the first two yesterday and plan on buying a majority of them. The gyro and touch controls are awesome.

RyanOehrli

RyanOehrli said:

Although SEGA didn't make it, it is a Genesis/MegaDrive classic....I would LOOOOOOVE to see Rocket Knight Adventures in 3D.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

I'd like more arcade versions like Outrun, Power Drift, Afterburner, Enduro Racer, Space Harrier 2 and Alien Syndrome.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Sonic 2, Sonic 3D (Yes, for laughs Sonic 3D 3D! XD), Streets of Rage 2, Golden Axe,Ristar, and Outrun please!

Also, would it hurt to add online to SOR 2 and Golden Axe? :3

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Fingers crossed for "After Burner" and "Out Run"! Maybe even... "Power Drift"!

ACK

ACK said:

Please, M.U.S.H.A., please! ... And Afterburner and Outrun.

Karakato

Karakato said:

I've said it once on another site but, if Sega finds it in their hearts to give Ristar the 3D classic treatment in all its layered glory, I will personally buy all the other 3D classics releases on the service... even the inferior Altered Beast port which I despise to this day.

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

Agree with everyone who has said Outrun, Power Drift, Afterburner

Would also like to see the Virtua series, along with Daytona / Sega Rally (original arcade)

Atari 3D Classics would also be good. Original Star Wars, Stun Runner, Hard Drivin

Come on Sega, give us Saturn & Dreamcast for Wii U VC

HYDRA413

HYDRA413 said:

Comix Zone, VectorMan 1 & 2, Golden Axe (any) and Shining Force. E-Swat is pretty good too !

paburrows

paburrows said:

I'd love arcade versions of Golden Axe and Shinobi. THeres other ones that I don't remember the name of, like theres one that involved time travel and a your looking down on your character that was really great.

47iscool

47iscool said:

Linking to things wasn't the issue here; discussion of piracy is not allowed, which I made clear. But since the mere mention of our community guidelines makes you huff and puff, then this may not be the site you'd like to visit regularly. We suggest you use your temp ban to decide for yourself whether or not you'd like to adhere to our rules. Thanks!

Your friends, the mods

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

For me the big question is not what games they are working on.

The big question is how many copies does Sega consider to be a success.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I have far too many titles I would want redone in 3D, so I won't count my chickens before they hatch.
I will say that SEGA has 8 sales coming out of me though, so keep the 3D Classics coming!

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

There aren't many Dreamcast games on my list. But, if any, I would like Sonic Adventure and Ecco the Dolphin. As for Saturn titles, I think that the only game was Sonic R. Even then, it wasn't as good as most of the other racing games. Since most of the worthy SMS games were on recreated on the SGG, I would mainly like to see the Wii Virtual Console Genesis games be recreated on the 3DS. That was a good catalog.

S7eventhHeaven

S7eventhHeaven said:

gunstar heroes was made by treasure not sega and microsoft own the license for the game for sale on xbox live

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Would love to see more Sega 3D Classics. Also, if Nintendo isn't going to do any, then Sega and M2 should do some SNES games as well if Nintendo allows it.

Moorpheel

Moorpheel said:

How about some GBA 3D classics, Sega?

You know, like Sonic Advance. Don't forget the Chao Garden.

In fact. Just give me the Chao Garden, forget about Sonic.

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

Golden Axe......that is all Please.....hmm ok and Shining in the Darkness!! as well as shining force! But darkness 1st xD

hydeks

hydeks said:

i'm looking forward to Streets of Rage 3D, so I'ld love to see some Streets of Rage 2 & 3 3D, as well as some GoldenAxe 1, 2, and 3 :-)

Shinobi 3 would also be a great game to play in 3D, it's a great fast paced ninja game!.

Also, any of the Sonic games, you can't go wrong with Sonic ;-)

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Street if rage II for definite. They bypassed Shinobi 1 & 2 to release te far superior third installment, why did we have to get streets of rage 1 before 2?
Also Ristar please, shining force and story of Thor.
Beyond this PLEASE bring the Sega Saturn to Wii U VC. Sega Rally '95, NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Burning Rangers, (will never happen but....) Panzer Dragoon Saga. Shinobi X, Deep Fear. beyond Sega i'd like to see Street Fighter vs X-Men, Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, bomberman Saturn

Mommar

Mommar said:

I'd like to help out but the only one of these releases I'm interested in is Shinobi 3. I might be curious how Altered Beast turned out but I know exactly how it plays and it's way too easy/simple for me to consider as a purchase.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Please please please please give me a portable version of Wonderboy 3! I would pay hundreds of dollars for a portable version of that game!

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

I'm not much interested in Super Hang-On 3D, but Space Harrier 3D is fantastic. I can't wait to see what else they might do.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

@Ootfan98 Nope, Sega doesn't have the rights to the series. They did license them for the PS2 game so it is possible they may do it again.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Yes! Space Harrier is okay, but Super Hang On is great! I intend to get 3D Sonic, Ecco, and Shinobi so I hope they release some more.

khululy

khululy said:

I say, Nights into dreams! That game would be perfect on the 3DS, they should remake the entire thing even better then on the ps2! While I still do not truely understand the purpose of that game or even what is going on most of the time!

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Ristar, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Outrun, Streets Of Rage 2, Fantasy Zone, and Alex Kidd In Miracle World for the second series would be awesome.

PenCapChew

PenCapChew said:

Can't see this not being successful in the west... in fact I think it will be a blast. I'm getting the all eight games myself! Let's support them! Most likely they will release the "true" classics that are still missing like Out Run, Golden Axe, After Burner and Super Monaco GP, maybe Phantasy Star...

brianvgplayer

brianvgplayer said:

I would like to see Fantasy Zone, the M2 System 16 remake of Fantasy Zone II, Power Drift, Enduro Racer, Racing Hero, GP Rider, Outrun, Thunder Blade, Super Monaco GP, After Burner II, Zoom 909 (version of Buck Rogers without the license), Subroc 3D, Congo Bongo, Zaxxon, Turbo, Up 'n Down, Yamato, and Strike Fighter.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

Gimme OutRun, Virtua Cop, Gunstar Heroes, AB Cop...

Ugh I'm so excited to see what they'll release!

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Outrun, Streets of Rage 2, Golden Axe and Afterburner.

Sega's old arcade cabinet games were really awesome, classic games that definitely would be great to have as 3D classics.

Also some of the Virtual-On games would be awesome, also Virtual Fighter 1&2, Virtua Racing, Daytona USA etc.

Geen

Geen said:

Outrun would be incredible. I'd also love to see the arcade Wonderboy get a release, as well as Wonderboy in Monsterland and Wonderboy IV.

MAB

MAB said:

Yep, SEGA is doin' how the VC should have always been does ;)

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

How bout F-Zero in 3D for 3DS, make it like F-Zero GX Sega? That would be very awesome in 3D. While we're at it a new Phantasy Star (not those online crap), Shining Force, and Outrun in 3D would be awesome.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

It would be great to have all of the Sonic classics on the go in 3D. I never got to play them except Sonic 1 from Sonic Generations and it was really good. :D

HunteROB

HunteROB said:

@S7eventhHeaven Might wanna do some more investigating on that. Sega published both Gunstar Heroes and Super Gunstar Heroes, and the original was released on Wii, 360 and PS3. Microsoft owns no part of it.

Windy

Windy said:

Buy! Buy! BUY! lol so we can get outrun 3d and others. My recommendation is Super Hangon 3d. Excellent classic 3d game and my oppinion the best looking classic 3d game so far.

I would like too see:
Outrun 3d
Phantasy Star Online 3d Dreamcast Edition
Phantasy Star 1 through 4
Shining in the Darkness 3d
Shining Force 1 and 2

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I plan on buying every single one of the first 8 games. Afterburner 3D would be cool too btw, even Fantasy Zone 3D.

Windy

Windy said:

@KnightRider666 me too :) Super hangon really surpassed my expectations as to what I thought It would be like. Just a great job. I'm looking forward to galaxy force now after playing Hangon. I bet its going to be sweet in classic 3d

Windy

Windy said:

Anyone which games did they Develope in the second series for Japan? I looked on Wiki and on the japanese Eshop list But dont see a second set

BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger said:

I'm getting all 8 games (already have the first 2). Please Sega, keep 'em coming!
Sega always does such a terrific job at re-releasing their classics. Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the 360/PS3 is a must-own as are their Game Gear Virtual Console releases.

Sqirm64

Sqirm64 said:

I'd love to see dynamite headdy, Sonic 3 and knuckles, ristar, space harrier 2, and streets of rage 2.