You'll Be Able To Use Wii Fit U For One Month Free Of Charge

Posted by Damien McFerran

Trial download available from November

Nintendo has announced that it will be giving Wii U owners the chance to fight the flab for free with a entirely gratis one-month trial of the forthcoming Wii Fit U.

From November 1st, North American and European Wii U owners will be able to download the game from the Wii U eShop and take part in 77 different activities — including 19 new training activities — many of which take advantage of the Wii U's GamePad.

If you want to keep playing beyond the month trial period, then you'll have to purchase a Fit Meter accessory — which will go on sale November 1st for $19.99 — and sync it to the game. The Fit Meter is a device you carry around with you which monitors your progress through the day and then reports back to the Wii Fit U software when you return home.

The download trial offer expires January 31st, and Wii Fit U will go on sale as a retail game and eShop download on Decemeber 13th. We've not heard if a similar offer will be made available in Europe, but we'll update this story if anything comes to light (UPDATE: the offer is confirmed for Europe, too — as you can see from the video below).

Here's what Nintendo President Reggie Fils-Aime had to say about the offer:

Wii Fit U is all about ‘fun fitness’ for everyone in the family. With this special offer, Nintendo is making it easier than ever for families to get active and stay active, making now the perfect time to upgrade to Wii U. This is another example of the kind of value and variety that only Nintendo can offer.

Will you be taking part? What are your thoughts on this offer? Share your opinion by posting a comment.

galetyler

galetyler said:

This is an awesome deal, I have the balance board so being able to get a FULL game for 20 dollars + a nifty little fitness accessory has made a game that I was going to get someday if I felt like trying to get in shape into a game that I am getting day one.

Well done Nintendo.

DavidH

DavidH said:

Can't watch the video at work, so the software is free and you just need to buy this stepper thing for $20. Sounds a bit too good to be true. Colour me impressed if it is right though.
EDIT no you will need to buy the "game" via eShop or retail.

Typo in there Damo - Decemeber

galetyler

galetyler said:

@DavidHolliss Digitally the software is free from November 1 - January 31, If you buy the activity meter (FAR more than a stepper) for 20 dollars you can synch it with the free version of the game and it goes from being a "month long trial" to total ownership of the full copy forever :p

Dambuster

Dambuster said:

Free shovel ware is still shovel ware! Nintendo need to focus on games not c**p like this.

galetyler

galetyler said:

@Dambuster Oh no Nintendo are releasing a game that is going to sell well but I don't like it... NERD RAGE seriously grow up their is a market for these games and as a company Nintendo would be dumb not to capitalize on it... The original Wii Fit games sold MILLIONS and this one especially with this sort of offer is bound to do the same.

Their is more than the "core" gaming audience, These titles have a place and considering the amount of development time that went into this it is hardly shovel ware as I don't believe you know what that term actually means. It refers to games with minimal effort and quality put out simply to try and cash in on a franchise or IP.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This is an awesome deal. I already have a Wii Balance Board, and $20 for a full Wii U game is almost too good to pass. I'll be downloading this for free as soon as I can. If the game is fun and I enjoy it, then I'll easily buy the Wii Fit Meter and keep the game for good. Well played, Nintendo.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

Very pleased. The missus will be getting this. Already have a balance board and motion plus controllers. one month free to see if it's better than wii fit 2 - if it is, we will be buying the active pocket dongle thingy.
Well done Nintendo!

Furealz

Furealz said:

I diarrhea'd everywhere when he said "free"! I know it's one-month but OMG OHH-LAA-LAA! O.O It HIT the FAN!

johnvboy

johnvboy said:

Dambuster,

The Wii U needs to convince a large percentage of the existing "casual" Wii owners to upgrade to their new machine,and the very popular "Wii" range of titles will do this.

Nintendo will still bring out the games for the more traditional gamer as well.

galetyler

galetyler said:

@Furealz technically free forever if you purchase the Activity Meter for 20 dollars so this is very surprising and this is how you push a digital version xD

galetyler

galetyler said:

@johnvboy Don't even bother... this is what 1 of the 2 "casual" games Nintendo are releasing this year the other being Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, literally EVERY other title they are releasing is for the core Nintendo audience I find that "gamers" tend to forget that their are markets outside of us, their is a massive market for fitness games and party games etc...

johnvboy

johnvboy said:

@ galetyler,

I think it's a tough balance for Nintendo,and while they do se the huge success of the casual Wii titles (I still play Wii sports),they wan't to release them in an upgraded way for the Wii U that does make use of the new tech rather than just being a simple cash in.

johnvboy

johnvboy said:

I don't get all this "core" v's "casual" market rubbish,as an entertaining game is great no matter what form it takes.

The very idea that somehow spending 100 hours on a game like GTA 5,has more purpose or kudos than somebody playing Animal crossing for a similar amount of time is flawed in my opinion

deusy

deusy said:

Since I already have the Balance Board, this is a day one $20 buy. Nintendo are geniuses for this idea.

I really hope this holiday season goes well for the Wii U.

Shambo

Shambo said:

I might get this... For my girlfriend, you know...
How's that possible, someone must've... Tricked the system into... Making an account with my name as well! What sorcery is this?
That, and I'm just collecting Skylanders now for if we one day have kids, really!

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Ok I'll go for the trial and if I still have any interest after finishing it, I might buy.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

The casual gamers get not only two games at the same time, they also get free trials. Nintendo is doing things right at last. Hook them with Wii Fit, bring back memories of Wii Sports, let them see the lower ticket price for the console and watch the systems fly.

Emaan

Emaan said:

These are some really nice price options. Hopefully they market this well to the greater masses by the time the holiday season comes around.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Hey Nintendo, is there a first party game for Wii U you dont want me to buy? Still I would need to get a balance board, but it is a great deal for people upgrading

Emblem

Emblem said:

Awesome but I need a board so I hope they have a decent bundle for me.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Kudos to Nintendo for coming up with this cunning ploy to lure in the millions of Wii Fit owners and seduce them to upgrade to Wii U.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Nintendo, I hope you haven't ruled out a Wii Fit U bundle option. Console, game, tracker and balance board. Sell it for $320.

johnvboy

johnvboy said:

" Nintenjoe64 said:

I wonder if it's time to unleash my Wii Fit body transformation video on the world now? "

I don't think even Reggie's body will be ready for that. ;)

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

I think this would be the most dissapointed sequel of all time sales-wise, I doubt it would sell even 10% of the original Wii Fit sales

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I still have Wii Fit and my balance board from launch purchase. Although I don't need to be burning calories, I see myself getting the Fit Meter (so I can get the full game, or whatever the deal is). The mini games are fun and just the overall ability to use the balance board.

tchaten

tchaten said:

$20 for Wii Fit U and the Activity Monitor!!!! YES!!! - So excited - will be getting this day one - just started getting into the original Wii Fit and it is a great app

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

@Dambuster - I don't think this is Shovelware - I lost a stone in weight using Wii Fit! -consoles aren't just for games
(I gained a stone in weight playing Call of Duty). Go figure!

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm shocked, and that's an understatement.

A month long free trial before the game is even out, and the do-hicky is only $20 and includes the full game? I'm typing it and I still don't believe it.

I guess it's on like Donkey Kong time. Way to go Nintendo.

I know a few people on here want the Wii U to be a "gamers" machine and not focus on this casual stuff, but I'm sorry it won't work that way. Gamers didn't buy the Wii, casuals did, and getting the casuals to upgrade to a Wii U is NECESSARY to get enough Wii Us sold to get 3rd parties to put their games on the Wii U. Don't buy them, consider them a necessary evil, but these games are necessary for the Wii U to be successful.

Phle

Phle said:

Directly. Awesome.

Wii Fit U have been on my wish list for a long time. I hope the game not only focus on burning calories, as I don't wish to loose any weight, but rather improve my muscles. I also hope the game let's me get most of my workout done at home, as this is one of the reasons I've been wanting the game in the first place.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Sounds like a good thing to me.

Let people trial the full game for a month, Nintendo could do with having more demos of it's games, and then if they like it they can buy a little device that expands the functionality further and get the game permanently.

I think that's win win for everyone, right.

Platypus101

Platypus101 said:

I'm 'fused... Is this article for the American release, if so why the UK video? Only reason I ask, is that on two separate occasions I have gotten excited about an upcoming UK only game... Only to find out that, I happen to live in the states!

Otherwise, this sounds awesome (Just like 30% off W101 if you buy Pikmin 3, oh wait... That was also UK)

Platypus101

Platypus101 said:

@Kirk I agree with everything except the "device" part... I have too much junk i my home as it is! ;) just an online code is fine for me.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@Platypus101

Yeah, true.

It would be good if there was ALSO an option to just pay to activate the full game without having to get the extra tracker device.

I mean I know I would never use the little tracker thing personally, you too presumably, so that would make sense.

tovare

tovare said:

This is cool, I'll consider getting Fit Meters for the kids too if it's possible to gamify some outdoor activities.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome! What a great way to get me back into Wii Fit :D I knew I was never going to buy it for full retail price as I'm just too lazy to use it all the time & thus justify paying full price. Only having to buy the Wii Fit U meter & owning the full game is an awesome deal. But even better than that? Being trolled by Nintendo into doing the hands "directly" to the computer screen! Bahahaha my body is ready!! :D

Mahe

Mahe said:

This is quite a curveball. Which version to get? Free trial of course, but with the activity meter, or the physical release, or the paid download version down the line?

Wildvine53

Wildvine53 said:

Wow, this is a pretty good deal, especially considering this is basically Wii Fit plus plus. I'll be taking advantage of this sweet deal!

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

This is a way better deal then I expected. I was expecting to buy the digital game and the accessory separately or as the stated bundle. But buy a Fit Meter, get the game free and a month earlier, never saw that coming.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@johnvboy I think someone spending 100 hours on some version of Wii Fit would be a better thing to compare to Animal Crossing / GTA5. (If the person is not doing any other exercise it has to be better).

element187

element187 said:

@Dambuster yes, Nintendo shouldn't release a sequel to a game that sold more than all the GTA's combined.... They should just stick to releasing games like F-Zero and Starfox that both didn't even cross the 500k sale mark on their last outings.

johnvboy

johnvboy said:

@ unrandomsam,

My comment was there is no such thing as core v's casual when it comes down to putting many hours into any type of video game.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@element187 FZero cannot really be considered unless you take the money made by the arcade machine into account as well. (At 15000$ or more a time). Basically the same game running on the same hardware. Sega did it anyway.

OptimisticLink

OptimisticLink said:

So, a massive update is only twenty bucks away for me. Awesome. :)

Problem is, my Wii U is set up in my very small bedroom, so I have no room between my bed and television to place my Balance Board. :|

Jampie

Jampie said:

@MIPS
I have that same issue too! LOL. Trying to think of ways to rearrange my room at the moment. Haha.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

Wasn't going to get this day 1, but I'll definitly download it for free and get the meter before the offer runs out! :-)

PorridgeParlour

PorridgeParlour said:

I was wondering how they would handle the downloadable version pricing without the meter accessory... Wasn't expecting for them to give it away free!

Very nice.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

Will the price still be just $20 after January 31st? Or do I need to jump on getting the pedometer during my free trial in order to take advantage of the deal?

YorkshireNed

YorkshireNed said:

Amazing deal!

Just 3 months ago, I wouldn't even have read this article but after the birth of our 2nd child, my wife wanted to get Wii Fit so I bought it as a gift and ended up hooked, as did the rest of the family.

sletari

sletari said:

Did anyone notice that they are going to make us advertise the wii u, as we will be walking around with that gadget? Quite smart of them.

SMW

SMW said:

Sweet. It was unclear in the US video when the Fit Meter was going to be available. Looks like you can download the trial and buy the Fit Meter on the same day. Thats my plan anyway! $20 for Wii Fit U. Thats outstanding!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Dambuster
They DO focus on other games: NSMBU, Pikmin 3, NSLU, Wonderful 101, Zelda Windwaker HD, Super Mario 3D World, DKC Tropical Freeze, etc etc etc...

Just because we like one thing, doesn't mean Nintendo can't make something for others. And you know something, staying fit/working out is something EVERYBODY has at least some interest in. I know this game will make MY work day a little funner with the Fit Meter on hand. There is nothing wrong with working out or staying fit. And nothing wrong with taking that concept and merging it with interactive entertainment.

Just be happy this game might help sell Wii Us, which will grow the userbase, which will result in more 3rd party games and perhaps even more 1st party games. You do like games don't you? Well ok then...

james_squared

james_squared said:

$20 for an updated Wii Fit game. Seems like a reasonable price to me, but I'll still need to see what games are available so the demo month sounds great.

GamerJunkie

GamerJunkie said:

nintendos chance to get back its most loyal customers of the Wii, overweight women, old people and family......

Wii was a family machine and sold a ton due to this game and wii sports, they got kids and their parents and grandparents to "exercise" in front of a Tv and actually think they were losing weight.....

Nintendo has abandoned gamers and is aiming everything at kids/family now.

iKhan

iKhan said:

This is why I wasn't really bothered by the high price for Wii Sports Club. They are giving us a really good deal for Wii Fit U. I'm not really interested in Wii Fit U, but I am excited for Nintendo. And I'm super hyped for Wii Sports Club

Morph

Morph said:

Great deal for this, wii fit meter and game for 20quid is a no brainer, plus its ideally suited to being a download game just like wii sports club and im not really a fan of non disc based gaming but these two will be perfect. Even as a fairly 'hardcore' gamer ive been very pleased with these 2 announcements, good job nintendo

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

I'm very interested, as someone who is (brace yourself) a hardcore gamer AND someone who enjoys Wii Fit. I am waiting to have two questions answered though. How many monitors can be synced to the system, as both my wife and I would want one, and obviously can't share? And how much is the retail disc version going to be, since I'd rather not fill up hard drive space if I can help it?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

If any other Australians were wondering, Nintendo Australia have just put out a press release here: http://bit.ly/18dbH91 The interesting Wii Fit U bit is that the Fit Meter will be released on 2nd November in black and at a suggested retail price of AU $29.95. Same price as New Super Luigi U was, awesome deal imo :D

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@GamerJunkie

So true. Nintendo totally didn't publish the Last Story or Pandora's tower or a Zelda game or two of the highest rated Mario games of all time since Wii Fit came out. And that's just the start of things they totally didn't publish. They totally only make exercise games now. What a completely logical, and might I add completely not idiotic, comment you made.

LindsayPez

LindsayPez said:

I'm so excited for this! I'm due to have a baby any day and I'll be allowed to start exercising in November to get my body back into shape. Woo hoo. I loved Wii Fit and look forward to Wii Fit U.

paullacon

paullacon said:

I don't understand why people use such type of technique to lose there weight. One month free trail is just one of the marketing technique. Friends I was using this type of product and lost over 30 lbs but as the day I left using it I gained over 45 lbs in a month. The best way to lose weight is regular running, workout and good diet.