The Pokémon Company Confirms X & Y Starter Evolutions, Mega Mewtwo X and More
Posted by Thomas Whitehead
Along with lots of images and a starter evolution trailer
Earlier this week CoroCoro magazine revealed Pokémon X & Y starter evolutions, Mega Mewtwo X and new 'mon, plenty of details to keep the hype train going at full pelt. All of that information was translated and shown in scans, so The Pokémon Company has now released full details for the Western names of these 'mon, while also dishing out some rather attractive images.
First things first, below are the updated details with the Western localisation names.
Middle starter evolutions
- Quilladin — Chespin's evolution. A pure Grass-type that knows the move Mud Shot (super effective against Fire-type Pokémon), can repel attacks with its spikes.
- Braixen — Fennekin's evolution. A pure Fire-type that knows the move Psyshock, is particularly effective on opponents that have high Special Defense.
- Frogadier — Froakie's evolution. A pure Water-type that knows Bounce, which sends the user into the air on its first turn so it can attack on the second; this move is super effective against Grass-type Pokémon.
Two Fossil Pokémon
- Tyrunt. A Rock/Dragon T-Rex which has a new ability called 'Hard Jaw', which increases the attack power of biting moves and knows Crunch.
- Amaura. A Rock/Ice Diplodocus which has a new ability called Freeze Skin, which turns Normal type moves into Ice-type moves and raises their power. It knows Aurora Beam.
Three other new Pokémon
- Furfrou — A white dog that was seen in the recent Pokémon Direct and is a Normal-type. It can learn Baby-Doll Eyes, a new Fairy-type move debuting in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y that allows its user to go first regardless of Speed and can lower the opponent’s Attack stat. You can also customise its appearance.
- Meowstic — A psychic-type cat which has male and female appearances. Moves vary by gender. The male is more of a supporter while the female is more of an attacker; the female knows Extrasensory and the male knows Miracle Eye. It has Keen Eye or Infiltrator.
- Pyroar — An evolution of Litleo, it's a fire and normal-type Royal Pokemon with abilities such as Rivalry and Unnerve. It can also unlock Normal-type move Echoed Voice, and comes with male and female appearances.
Fairy Type chart (No updated details, so these are the CoroCoro revelations)
- Reportedly, Fairy is Super Effective on Fighting, Dark and Dragon and not effective on Fire, Poison or Steel. Is weak to Poison and Steel while resists Fighting, Dark and Bug. It is immune to Dragon.
Mega Evolutions - Mewtwo and Garchomp
- Each game has a named Mewtwo exclusive to that version. Mega Mewtwo X is a Psychic/Fighting-type and has the ability Steadfast. Mega Mewtwo Y is exclusive to Pokémon Y, no further details yet. They use the items Mewtwonite X & Mewtwonite Y to Mega Evolve.
- Mega Garchomp has the ability Sandforce, while its Dragon-type move Dragon Claw becomes extra ferocious.
In Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, players can visit boutiques and a salon to change their Trainers’ outfits and hairstyles. You can change your clothes, hat, shoes, and accessories to show off your individual style and put together different looks. There are boutiques in many of the cities throughout the Kalos region, each with its own unique style. Adding to this customized feature, when players change their outfits and hairstyles, their icons on the Player Search System (PSS) update too!
More is known about Team Flare. Five Scientists are believed to be the driving force behind this mysterious group, each one identified by a different hairstyle and unique outfit. The purple-haired woman is Celosia, the orange-haired woman is Aliana, the green-haired woman is Bryony, and the blue-haired woman is Mable. There is one man among the Scientists, Xerosic, who is easily identifiable by his red goggles and fire-red hair. Their focus is world-changing, and they have a clear goal in mind, but what is it?
Everyone in the Kalos region loves Diantha, a famous movie star Trainers will meet during their journey. In addition to her acting career, Diantha is a Pokémon Trainer, though she seems to show more interest in other Trainers who have real potential.
So there you have it, the official details. Below you can check out a selection of lovely images and a brand new trailer showing the starter evolved forms, while you can sound off on designs, names or anything else in the comments below.