Sonic Lost World Will Dash Away With Plenty of Memory on Wii U and 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

We've got both file sizes for you to check out

With Sonic Lost World now powering up a spin dash for its October release on the Wii U and 3DS, those most interested in a purchase have the usual choice of sticking with a retail disc — old skool — or opting for an eShop download instead. Those considering the eShop route may want to know that it's a fairly meaty download on both systems, particularly on the Wii U.

The Wii U version will demand 8475MB / 8.37GB of space in Europe, which we imagine will be similar in North America. As for the 3DS title, it runs off with 10,253 blocks, as they're still known on the handheld, which amounts to roughly 1.25GB. Clearly those HD visuals demand a lot more resources, and on their respective platforms these can be considered as medium-sized retail downloads, though SEGA's effort on Wii U is certainly more memory hungry than Nintendo's first-party efforts to date.

Are you considering picking up Sonic Lost World on either or both of the eShop stores, or would you rather have a disc or cartridge to hold? Let us know in the comments below.

Related Games

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I have the 3DS variant pre-ordered via cartridge. I'm hopefully getting the Wii U version on-disc for Christmas.

Plainly, I try to get retail unless it's for PC.

gamingreal

gamingreal said:

Im sticking with physical media for now, I have preordered the 3ds version... still a little annoyed that the nights dlc is exclusive to the Wii U

Emblem

Emblem said:

Also getting the disk, loving the cover art for most of these Wii U games.

CrusaderCC3488

CrusaderCC3488 said:

Download! It'll help justify my 2 TB (maybe 1 TB? I don't even remember) hard drive, and I'll get DDP points back!!

MegaManEP3

MegaManEP3 said:

I'll be downloading this and picking up an external drive. While I love having the physical media, I'd rather save money on tax due and get some cash back with the Deluxe Digital Promotion.

Zyph

Zyph said:

On-disc for me. IMO physical media is still the way to go. Unless the game is more suited as digital (like Animal Crossing) or the game is only released digitally. Same goes for other platforms.

VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason said:

I always go physical disc on everything (except monster hunter 3U this weekend because of the half off deal). Just because I like to be able to sell or return it if I ever want to. I also like showing off all of my cool game cases.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Getting a physical copy for Wii U on a side note I wonder when Nintendo is going to cave in and release a Wii U with a larger storage capacity.

RebeccaGunn

RebeccaGunn said:

I imagine a bunch of people already got, or are on the cusp of getting external drives now after the double combo of Pikmin and W101 on their HDD's.

That said always nice to know in advance.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

The smaller size of the 3DS one has me worried it is going to be incredibly watered down. I already planned on waiting to get this, so now I will wait to see which one is better, I already bet the Wii U one is.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Discs are the only way to go for retail titles. Even some of the "smaller" eShop games are getting full of "bloat." I downloaded Giana Sisters the other day and it took up 3 GB!!! Geeze, even with the 32Gb Wii-U, there won't be any room for downloading retail titles.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I try not to DL anything I don't have to - though for free I'll DL Fit U rather than pay for the disc - but thanks for putting these numbers up just the same. I know size doens't matter yet somehow it does. 8GB seems about the right size for a game like this. (On Wii U, I haven't been following 3DS file size too much.)

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@MegaManEP3
See for me it's the opposite. In Wisconsin I don't pay tax from Amazon, so physical releases are tax-free. But in WI I DO pay tax on the eShop (although there is a workaround to that)

luke17

luke17 said:

Buying on Amazon (with no sales tax) is basically the same as utilizing your DD Promotion $5 to pay off the sales tax. So I don't see how downloading "in order to get the DD Promotion" is a justifiable reason for downloading.

MegaManEP3

MegaManEP3 said:

@luke17 I buy from the eshop so no sales tax and I get the DDP cash. The ease of having everything on the console and not listening to the disc drive is nice too.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

I'll get the Wii U version physical, and I'll consider getting the 3DS version digitally, just for the sake of having a Sonic game stored on my system digitally.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

I'm technically more interested in the digital version since I still have some credit to use on the WiiU's eShop, but little problem: what about the "deadly six edition"?
If I got it right that is only for the first disc versions, so if I'll decide to buy the game at launch phisical is only good way for buy it, nonsense to pay the same price digitally and not getting the bonus level >.>;

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Was always thinking physical, this just confirms it. I do not want to buy an external hard drive any time soon.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I'm not the biggest Sonic fan but this is getting a bit interesting for me. Ill wait for a review as the 3d interests me more then 2d Mario. If its anything at all like 3d Mario then I might get it!

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

@Zyph i completely agree with you unless there's a benefit to having the game digital like Animal Crossing i prefer the actual physical copy.

Besides i kinda see the physical copies of my games like trophies…silly but true or maybe im jus oldski woldski

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

Just preordered from gamestop. Although they couldn't confirm the deadly 6 edition yet. It's still only 50,that's a bargain for a new epic looking release..

ECMIM

ECMIM said:

Memory=RAM
Space=storage device capacity.

Pedantic? Perhaps, but also correct.

luke17

luke17 said:

@MegaManEP3
Do you not have to pay sales tax on your eShop games? I do. The $5 DDPromotion pays for a portion of my sales tax but the game still ends up close to $61 AFTER applying the $5 eShop credit.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@ECMIM NAND is flash memory which is still memory. Proper carts are also memory (ROM) post GBA carts are something inbetween.

"Space" is nothing.

MadDragon1846

MadDragon1846 said:

@BakaKnight I'm wondering the same thing. I really want the deadly six edition, but I'd prefer to download the game. At the moment I have it pre-ordered, but I'm hoping that right near release there will be some news about the deadly six edition on the eshop.

MegaManEP3

MegaManEP3 said:

@luke17 I am not charged sales tax for my online purchases. Sales Tax rules differ from state to state, but generally if a company has nexus in a state, and are in the business of making sales, they have to charge sales tax. So for you, ordering via Amazon seems to be the best course of action...or using a different zip code ;)

Cobra

Cobra said:

Looking forward to the day we see eShop pre-orders. This would already be purchased and awating its release date to start downloading automatically.

UltraUmbreon

UltraUmbreon said:

I see that you did there "Dash Away Memory" :3 anyway that is a lot of memory, well I hope the 3DS version is as good as the Wii U is.

NMH-TRI

NMH-TRI said:

Every recent game I've picked up and every future game that I purchase will be digital. That DDP isn't going to use itself.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

I'd love to see a special edition Wii U bundle for Lost World, with a blue console and gamepad. I'd buy it!

HasteXx

HasteXx said:

Physical is the way to go. I had an Xbox 360 and had more than $300 spent in digital games and I got $0.00 back from trading them in when my Xbox broke and gave me an error. At least the physical version will make me save some money on an Xbox One in case my Wii U breaks!

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

8GB? No biggie. I'm never going to run into storage problems on my 2TB hard drive. Although I'm fast running out of space on my 3DS 16GB SD card and this might kill it. Not sure if I want the 3DS version yet though!

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Physical and digital both have so many pluses. Lately I've only been getting physical discs if there is a sale or a buy 2 get 1 free promo locally. Other than that I'm really enjoying the convenience of digital and never thought I'd abandon my cases. I started to lose interest in physical when physical started losing interest in worthwhile instruction manuals. They've gotten so short!

@Jazzer94 Nintendo doesn't generally cave. They seem pretty set on having users pick up their own externals to (possibly) keep costs down. I have a 250gb Western Digital drive working great with mine.

element187

element187 said:

As much as I appreciate SEGA putting this exclusively on Nintendo hardware, I have been burned many times by Sonic games. I will need to try before I buy.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

I am always getting digital simply because it saves money with no tax for it here! I got a big enough HD for it anyway!

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

What is meant by "SEGA's effort on Wii U is certainly more memory hungry than Nintendo's first-party efforts to date"? Does it mean Sega is making more effort than Nintendo, or does it mean Sega games are more memory hungry than Nintendo games?