Nintendo Download: 19th September (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Wii U gets Mega, intergalactic pinball, AiRacing, gladiators and more

It's Monday morning, Europe, which doesn't mean dreary skies and the beginning of another week's working drudgery, it actually represents Nintendo Download news day. The goodies due to arrive on Thursday this week are all on the Wii U and 3DS, with a Capcom classic on the home console and some promising new download-only releases coming to the portable, among others. Let's get to the details.

Wii U Virtual Console

Mega Man X (Capcom, €7.99 / £5.49) — A few months after its arrival delighted Blue Bomber fans in North America, this popular Super NES release finally hits the European Wii U store. This franchise represented quite a departure from the 'Classic' series of games when released, but had such an impact that it spawned plenty of sequels of its own. Don't let any of the iffy later sequels put you off, as this one is the real deal — our Mega Man X review gave it a strong recommendation. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.

Wii U Retail Download

Game Party Champions (Warner Bros., €29.99 / £19.99)

Wii U Temporary Discounts

Chasing Aurora (Broken Rules, €4.89 / £4.19 until 3rd October, normally €6.99 / £5.99)

Kung Fu Rabbit (Neko Entertainment, €2.49 / £2.24 until 3rd October, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

3DS eShop

Star Wars Pinball (Zen Studios, €6.99 / £6.29) — As the Wii U eShop version prepares itself for a new set of tables, the long promised release finally arrives on the 3DS. Two previous entries have done a solid job on Nintendo's portable, and this entry of three tables is sure to keep sci-fi fans happy. We'll see whether it has Hollywood quality in our upcoming review.

AiRace Speed (QubicGames, €4.99 / £4.49) — The third in this download-only series, this 3DS entry is aiming to live up to its name with high-tempo tunnel flying. With 18 tracks, five different jets and some impressive gameplay footage shown to date, this one certainly seems to have potential; we'll get prepped and bring you a review.

Rage of the Gladiator (Gamelion Studios, €6.99 / £6.29) — Originally a well-regarded WiiWare title, this 3DS version includes improved visuals, two additional difficulty settings and a new in-game shop to buy and upgrade weapons. We'll go a bit Russell Crowe for a review, and in the meantime you can read our enthusiastic recommendation in the WiiWare Rage of the Gladiator review.

3DS Retail Downloads

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Zen United, €34.99 / £29.99) — Available in North America since November 2012, Zen United has thankfully done the honours to bring the latest in this popular series to Europe. If you want to know more about this one you can check out our Harvest Moon: A New Beginning review.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D (Capcom, €19.99 / £17.99)

3DS Temporary Discounts

Mutant Mudds (Renegade Kid, €5.99 / £5.39 until 3rd October, normally €8.99 / £8.09)

Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo (Pixel Toys, €2.49 / £2.49 until 3rd October, normally €4.99 / £4.99)

3DS Permanent Price Reduction

Bike Rider DX (Spicysoft, €2.99 / £1.99, was €5.99 / £4.99)

That's another week, with quite a few promising titles lined up this time around. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (177 votes)

Mega Man X (Wii U Virtual Console)

21%

Game Party Champions (Wii U retail download)

Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Kung Fu Rabbit (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Star Wars Pinball (3DS eShop)

AiRace Speed (3DS eShop)

Rage of the Gladiator (3DS eShop)

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (3DS retail download)

Super Street Fighter IV 3D (3DS retail download)

Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Bike Rider DX (3DS eShop permanent reduction)

Nothing for me this week

38%

Please login to vote in this poll.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Mega Man X!!!!!! Please keep them coming and release all
The X games from this through to Mega Man X6 like on the GameCube Mega Man X collection. £30-£50 each on eBay for PsOne or buy them from the eshop? I'd rather have them all on my Wii U as I'm sure a LOT of people would, an I'm sure Nintendo and capcom would welcome the cash?

Still no Sega 3D classics though, I'm desperate for a date on Shinobi III

LordGeovanni

LordGeovanni said:

I may be in NA, but it is still disappointing to see so few VC games... The Megaman X will go far... but I only like downloads onto my 3DS. I never downloaded anything for my Wii and the same feeling will probably spread to my Wii U when I get it later...

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

How did I miss Street Fighter IV tucked away in that list!!!!! Capcom are getting a wedge of cash off me this week, I've been dying for this game to come to eshop!!!!

DavidHolliss

DavidHolliss said:

Got my hopes up for some surprise Wii U releases this week with your headline :( bit of clarity re what's on the Wii U and what's on the 3DS would be better.

Wii U gets Mega, intergalactic pinball, AiRacing, gladiators and more

Datasun_7

Datasun_7 said:

Harvest moon? Completely forgot about that D: might have to drop pokemon X and get this with Y :/

wasf

wasf said:

finally ssf4 3d on eshop, time to sell my retail version and go for the digital one, join together mario kart 7 and animal crossing!

Furealz

Furealz said:

$2.50 for an excellent eShop game? Can't go wrong there! I wish on Mondays they would have the Download Info for 'Merica.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Finally Megaman X. Other then that its a very poor week for the eshop.

lebad

lebad said:

Cave story + are you there? (Maybe it will come one day -_- )
Great discount! For me this week it will be :
Kung Fu Rabbit
AiRace Speed
Bike Rider DX

meppi

meppi said:

Ooh, skipped over Megaman X and thought: nothing for me this week. Then I realised my mistake. Looking forward to playing it again. :)

Kirk

Kirk said:

The new Rage of the Gladiator has improved models and textures, which is nice, but appears to lose the real time lighting, which is disappointing.

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

Rage of the Gladiator, Star Wars pinball and AiRace Speed! Spoiled for choice this week! Hopefully they're as great as I hope they are going to be.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

If anything, it's going to be SSFIV. Had it back in 2011, put in around 50hrs and traded it in.

Regretted it ever since :'(

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

Though I am happy as a pig in Larry that Mega Man X is coming I wish someone would let us know why on earth there are so few VC releases on WiiU and why its only NES and SNES. Even if they could only release Nintendo machines, I wish Ninty would hurry and get on the GBA and DS bandwagon so I can get my Castlevania on! But I would kill for a more robust PCengine catalogue and some classic Sega games (Saturn and Megadrive).

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

YES! GAME PARTY CHAMPIONS!! I VOTED FOR IT & ALWAYS WANTED TO GET THAT FROM THE START!! WOO!!
Wait what? :P Nah i'll just stick with toki tori 2+ this week.

cmk8

cmk8 said:

Ooh a Chasing Aurora discount, how exciting <end sarcasm>.
Please can I get GBC Pokemon Trading Card game on 3DS VC now?

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

A very good week yet you guys let nothing for me this week rule out big time?!?! If I had a Wii U I could see myself getting like 4 games this week!

pukka-pie

pukka-pie said:

Still irritates me that they haven't make GBA and SNES games available on the 3DS. The latter I kind of understand but why on Earth have they not put GBA games on the store??

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@pukka-pie I totally agree but it might have something to do with the visual quality. The 10 i have on my system don't look all that great. Probably haven't figured out how to do them properly.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Spoony_Tech They are not that bothered about visual quality or they would have done something better with the screen resolution so that DS games looked decent.

Zael

Zael said:

mmmm but megaman x was already avaiable on wii vc, so you could download it from the wii channel.
I'd have liked a megaman x 3 or 4, or all the magaman x serie in one week
We have to admit that this week is poor (for wii u), and I think there will be many other weeks like this because they are releasing 1 game a month
agu.sept wonderful. rayman
october zelda
november donkey
december mario
and vc games
and in 2014 probably they will release one game every 2 months
bayonetta jan feb
mario kart march april
ssb may?
if we exclude ubisoft and activision (that will bring ac4, wd, cod for december) the 2014 has only 4 games announced
they will be great games but they are too poor in number
I remember wii was supported better, even if its hardware was old.
if it wasn't for the virtual console (that i remember it is also on wii with more games), there would be nothing for wii u
the situation isn't good

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Is the King Fu Rabbit discount coming to the Americas? If so, I might just get it.

Windy

Windy said:

@Zael You are correct and it's a carbon copy of what they were doing on Wii. Nintendo's stance is be patient just like on the Wii. I don't think things are going to go well for Wii-U with this current Operation. People are tired of being patient. Fans are screaming for VC games.... give it to them already! 3rd parties seem to be dropping like flies or just not signing on at all. Not good. At least the 3DS is doing great we have that to fall back on. But Dammit! (sorry) we need the Wii-U to make some sort of change to get things going. I still want to buy a Wii-U but with a handful of good games and Not really anything i'm interested in for the near future, I'm passing. I was patient with the Wii, it just didn't work out all that great. The PS3 would be perfect for me but I hold off in hopes the Wii-U might take off some how.

Bumpon

Bumpon said:

Does someone know if Zelda II: Adventure of Link will also appear in the European eShop? I've never played it, but next game after Pikmin 3 is The legend of Zelda, and after that it would be nice to have! :D

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

How did I miss Street Fighter IV tucked away in that list!!!!!

You can buy the cartridge for £8 or less. I support the eShop but why spend £10 more than you have to?

DBMONK

DBMONK said:

bought sfIV for £5 just 3 days ago.... why would anyone pay £18 for it these days?

123akis

123akis said:

still no flipnote!? how can 'making the user expeience better' take this long! im disappointed :/ hopefully it will be a surprise release on thursday... HOPEFULLY

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

Mega Man X, plus cheaper Acorns and Bike Rider? It's gonna be a comparatively busy Thursday for me...

TonLoco

TonLoco said:

I recommend Bike Rider DX for 3ds owners. I picked it up yesterday at the discounted U.S. price and am happy I did. Fun little time waster. Thinking about getting Super Acorns too it looks fun from the video clip on the eshop.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

I have decided to not buy any more eshop games until the unified account system is in place.

Nintendo are you listening?

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Star Wars Pinball, AiRace Speed and I'll look into Rage of the Gladiator. I'll think about SSFIV3D and Bike Rider DX is looking more tempting at that price point.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

See 1% voted for Game Party Champions.... Seriously dont do it... That game is the definition of WiiU Shovelware... I would be conflicted in recommending that game for a fiver.

sonik

sonik said:

At last Mega man X to Wii U VC, come on Nintendo you can release more then one game each week or upgrade them from the old wii vc.

Start give us N64 vc games to Wii U

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

Well... I was going to download Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo tonight, but now that it has a temporary discount I'll have to wait to Thursday so I can save money. Hmm.. what will I play until then?!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I find it best to wait until Monday before downloading a game. You never know if there will be a price cut for that game later in the week.

jarreboum

jarreboum said:

I like Zen's Pinball but I wish they went the DLC road instead of individual releases. I'd rather have one icon to access all my tables, thank you very much.