Rumour: 3DS Owners Noticing Software Performance Improvements Since Update

Posted by Damien McFerran

Certain games running smoother?

OK, grab a pinch of salt for this one, because it's taken straight from the box marked "Rumour".

According to some posters over at NeoGAF, the recent 3DS firmware update has delivered some unexpected benefits: namely better performance in certain games.

Rayman 3D, Sonic Generations and Ridge Racer 3D are just a few of the titles which have allegedly been enhanced by the 5.1.0-11U update, and it's also being reported that the Mii Plaza is less jerky now — something we've personally checked and can't quite decide if there's any discernible difference.

Given that many posters in the original forum thread are questioning the evidence, this could well be the product of some over-active imaginations, but Nintendo did speak of underlying improvements being part of the last update — perhaps some kind of technological wizardry has been performed which does in fact result in slightly enhanced software?

Have you noticed any difference since the update was applied? Or does everything feel exactly the same to you? Let us know by posting a comment.

[via neogaf.com, nintendoeverything.com]

Humphries90

Humphries90 said:

The first track on Sonic and All-stars Racing Transformed seems a little better too (that's one of the worst tracks for framerate issues). The Skies of Arcadia one is still bad though.

yobucky

yobucky said:

Hmmm can't say I've ever noticed performance lag, except for today when I downloaded and played the sonic racing demo. There's some bad lag when the software changes the track...

Bucho

Bucho said:

Well i didn't notice anything being different, but since i read this i'll start thinking everything i play feels improved now, that's how the human brain works :3

VengeurMasquay

VengeurMasquay said:

Since the 5.0.0-11E update, framedrate drops seems fixed for KH Dream Drop Distance. I'll check for Rayman tonight.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Well at least it's not a rumor about the update breaking 3DSs. That's one good thing.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'm not sure if it helped out any games or not. I don't own any of the above mentioned games though.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I have Sonic Generations. After clocking 50 hours for 110% completion[All S-Ranks, Maxed out online rank etc.], I might be able see a difference.

b_willers

b_willers said:

My 3DS would often crash in seep mode. Normally the blue power light would blink and it would wake on opening, but on quite a few occasions the light would remain solid blue and it would not come back on. Not noticed this since the update so fingers crossed.

banacheck

banacheck said:

I highly doubt there will be any difference in games running better, unless them game's have been patched themselves. Hardware & Software patches address different thing anyway.

jorgem696

jorgem696 said:

I haven't really notice anything but U haven't use my 3ds in two days so i'll check it out after school

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

I wasn't aware that the 3DS has performance issues. Wii U, on the other hand...

The lag and frame-rate issues in Sonic Racing have nothing to do with the system itself; it has everything to do with the fact that the developers' proirity was with the console versions of the game, not with the 3DS version. They probably figured that nobody would want to play a sub-par version of an HD racing game on a handheld, but I guess clearly people do want to do that.

LAA

LAA said:

I noticed this news and people were saying KH3D ran smoother, notably in the tron world. I checked it out and I think it is actually smoother, but I honestly cant fully remember how it was before this update, but all I know is that there is no noticable jerkiness/lag in the tron world I can see, and I remember there being some before.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

I haven't noticed too much of a difference on anything, but I don't really take note of it often unless the performance is noticeably bad. So if the improvements are there, that's nice to know.

Rococoman

Rococoman said:

I definitely notice it while paying coins for puzzle pieces in the mii plaza. When I am buying pieces, I usually hold down 'R' to make the process go in fast motion. Usually, especially when the bird is dropping the new panel to your character, the frame rate gets really jumpy. However, the whole process appears to move at 60 fps now, even when the picture is changing.

@bezerker99
Unfortunately, I also played BT runner yesterday but noticed no improvement, especially in 3D.

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

I definitely noticed the Mii plaza fix. The jerkiness only really became apparent if you held down the R button to double time the actions, especially the puzzle swap.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Mine is running at probably the best its ran since I picked it up at launch. Purrs like a kitten.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Fire Emblem Awakening still runs slowly in 3D and Harvest Moon A New Beginning still runs slowly in town and on the farm.
So I highly doubt this is true.

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems the Streetpass Plaza IS running faster than before. Or at least, it now runs smoothly when holding down the R button.
Also seems to me that the OS is running just a tad faster now. It used to be extremely sluggish, especially when exiting and starting apps and games.

Sionyn

Sionyn said:

apart from the relative minor changes made, nintendo updated NS system module adding a work around to recent problems people have had last firmware update. Ns module is part of initialization system that forms part of a chainloader which eventual loads the main menu the 3DS operating system.

Neram

Neram said:

Everything feels the same to me. If there are any improvements it's not enough to make a noticeable impact.

Byron-3D

Byron-3D said:

Cant say i noticed any, had some slowdown towards the end of luigis mansion and that was after i had updated

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Streetpass Mii Plaza is certainly better, plus the Puzzle Swap panels load faster.

kobe1724

kobe1724 said:

Streetpass has been working MUCH better since the update that changed the eShop font. Before, Puzzle Swap was really laggy and the frame rate was bad at times, especially when getting new pieces with play coins. Ever since the update, no more frame rate problems. I don't think it's a rumor.