3DS is Back on Top of the Japanese Charts

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Normal service is resumed

Last week the House that Mario Built may have been a little rattled, as 3DS was knocked off the top of the Japanese Media Create hardware charts for the first time — at least by our memory — since late 2011. Sony's Vita handheld combined a healthy price drop with the release of Soul Sacrifice to improve on its major increase the week before and seize top spot. It was a close run battle, but 3DS was pushed off top spot.

This week's results are now in, and normality has returned. While the 3DS may not be dominant in the West — not against all of the home consoles — it's reclaimed that status in Japan. There was only one high profile new software release on the system — Super Robot Wars UX — but both models nevertheless saw an increase for a combined total of 69,439 units. Wii U remains static, and is likely to do so for at least another week while Japan waits for Dragon Quest X and Game & Wario at the end of March. The results are below, with last week's sales in parenthesis.

3DS LL – 47,985 (39,801)
PlayStation Vita – 36,028 (63,581)
3DS – 21,454 (21,207)
PlayStation 3 – 20,676 (19,567)
PSP – 12,721 (18,023)
Wii U – 9,539 (9,454)
Wii – 1,323 (1,363)
Xbox 360 – 543 (738)

Two new games on Sony systems — one on its last-gen PSP — top the software charts, though Animal Crossing: New Leaf is still happily hanging around in the top five. You can see the top 20 below, with lifetime sales in parenthesis.

1. [PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment – 138,180 (New)
2. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix – 128,414 (New)
3. [3DS] Super Robot Wars UX – 115,384 (New)
4. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 58,578 (2,861,517)
5. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice – 29,121 (121,517)
6. [PS3] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F – 26,248 (136,477)
7. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8 – 22,122 (272,211)
8. [PS3] God of War: Ascension – 19,744 (New)
9. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies – 14,976 (175,740)
10. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Warriors of Eden – 14,813 (1,174,077)
11. [PS3] Far Cry 3 – 14,772 (48,054)
12. [PS3] Darkstalkers Resurrection – 11,591 (New)
13. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission – 11,396 (121,698)
14. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 – 8,747 (1,969,564)
15. [PSV] Tales of Hearts R – 8,409 (63,668)
16. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita no Himitsu Dougu Museum – 8,267 (21,035)
17. [PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance – 7,544 (394,452)
18. [PS3] Winning Post 7 2013 – 7,143 (New)
19. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price! SKU) – 7,098 (259,835)
20. [PSV] Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus – 6,902 (118,364)

So there you have it, Nintendo's handheld regains the lead in Japan; Animal Crossing: New Leaf, meanwhile, continues to be the very definition of "evergreen".

[via gematsu.com]

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

@Five-seveN I agree on this.

Even though the PSP did extremely well in Japan, I don't think there was a week where it outsold the DS until 2011.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Holy crap Animal Crossing is almost at 3 million?!?! Just wait till the west gets this. Might be 10 million worldwide by CHRISTmas! :)

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

New Leaf will be the highest selling Animal Crossing in a few years. It deserves it since they put some effort into changing the formula around.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Well...that was short lived. I suspect, however, with the price reduction, the Vita will sell more consistently at a higher number of units sold from their previous numbers. It does show that they need some more games for it, otherwise they're just going to end up stuck selling the Vita on its on merits, which doesn't seem to be working out for them.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

combine the 3DS LL and 3DS sales and you see the vita only sells half as much

gsnap

gsnap said:

Pretty much what was expected. Though I wasn't expecting the Vita to drop so much so quickly.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

And with Luigi's Mansion 2 coming out today (which I just bought) that should help things a bit. :)

Oh yeah, and Castlevania is out today as well.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

It's quite surprising to see the Vita so close though, guess Soul Sacrifice really sell it on the system. I might pick that one game up someday if I could afford to get a Vita that is.

idork99

idork99 said:

"While the 3DS may not be dominant in the West — not against all of the home consoles — it's reclaimed that status in Japan."

Ah, the West. So much different than Japan. When I read this, it reminded of vehicles. While the West loves it's Mustangs and Camaros and such, Japan is very content with it's hybrids. Sure, they're different vehicles, but they both get you from point A to point B. The same could be said about the game systems we play. While the West is all about powerful graphics on huge screens with their 360s and PS3s (they were also salivating over the PS4 news), Japanese gamers are content with their portable systems. The portables, that may or may not be as powerful as the home console systems, still deliver superb entertainment with out all the bells and whistles. Anyhow, good to see things back to normality in the land of the rising sun.

Blaze

Blaze said:

Those are still some nice Vita sales. If the console can sustain those sales hopefully that means more games, more sales, more competition, and ultimately, more awesome games!

The Wii U on the other hand...

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Meh, not surprising. That doesn't change the fact that I've been playing the Vita loads more than my 3DS lately. I don't remember the last time I actually played a retail 3DS game. That may change with LM2 and RF 4, but I don't have the money right now to get them so it's still the Vita for me.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

This all plus the fact that nearly everybody and their mother (and father, and grandma) in Japan already has a 3DS. Seriously, just walking to the corner store I get like 4-5 surechigai (Streepass, or is it spotpass, I dunno).

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Oh man I was hoping the PSVita would stay at the top for a while, more sales mean more games after all. At least its still selling & hopefully continues to do so.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Do stores in Japan actually have shelf space devoted to the Xbox360? If so, I guess Wii U doom and gloom must be greatly exaggerated.

Anybody know how badly the Dreamcast must have been selling in order for it to be killed off prematurely?

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@rjejr I'm pretty sure week on week, the Wii U is selling worse than the Dreamcast, but with the Wii U you know that you'll get 3D Mario and a new Zelda, and the minimum lifetime sales it will get would be around 40 million. With the Dreamcast, it didn't have that kind of guarantee of eventual numbers. It's a shame, as it's one of my favourite ever consoles, and had such a great line up of original games.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

All I can think of is Star Wolf: (Nintendo being Star Wolf)
"You're good, but I'm better!"
"Stick to the pond, Sony!"
"Vita screamed REAL good before he died!"

Fudgenuggets

Fudgenuggets said:

LOL I see Sword Art Online at number 1. :P
The anime was amazing, so I'm not surprised it's at number 1. :D

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

Yes, Sword Art Online Infinity Moment is at #1! I'm going to import this if there is no word on an english localization. The english dub that was just announced for SAO makes me hopeful that it will happen.

@fudgenuggets Thank you, finally someone who agrees with me!

RunningWolf

RunningWolf said:

Going to do the Kirby dance for this...
(^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)

VolcanoFlames

VolcanoFlames said:

Nice to hear. But the Wii U.... Hope it does well soon, and we hear the good news "Wii U sells more than 200000 in Japan!" And it drifts onto the west!

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Tsuchinoko Thats exactly why I'm surprised the PSP is still doing pretty well. Its been out since 2004 (thats about 9yrs) so you'd think most people who want one already do. Then again many of those could be replacements, I know my PSP has certainly seen better days.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

I really wish that the 3DS saw those kind of sales numbers outside of Japan. It would help if we got some more high profile games like Japan does all the time instead of months and months before anything good comes out.

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

Animal Crossing is at nearly 3million just in Nippon alone.
I'm curious, what game has the most copies sold of all time?

Haywired

Haywired said:

@Red_Kinetic
In terms of Japan, the top selling games of all-time are:
1) Pokemon Red/Blue (GB)
2) Pokemon Gold/Silver (GB)
3) Super Mario Bros. (NES)
4) New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
5) Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (DS)
6) Pokemon Black/White (DS)
7) Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire (GBA)
8) Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)
9) Brain Training 2 (DS)
10) Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP)
11) New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
12) Dragon Quest IX (DS)
13) Tetris (GB)
14) Super Mario Land (GB)
15) Brain Training (DS)
16) Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP)
17) Mario Kart DS (DS)
18) Dragon Quest VII (PS)
19) Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (DS)
20) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@Five-seveN I don't think it will oscillate very much, Nintendo will remain in the lead until almost everybody has one, then their sells will fall behind the vita and then the vita will eventually fall too and they will just sit at small numbers until the next generation (though this really does depend on how long this generation lasts).

Emaan

Emaan said:

Good news for 3DS. I'm also glad to see Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix doing so well, along with Animal Crossing: New Leaf excelling as usual. :D

Bankai

Bankai said:

Why are people getting fanboy over this? The Vita's sales are very healthy now, even in second place. And this is a good thing.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Waltz: Remember where you are... did you really expect everyone to be cheering Sony on? That said, I count maybe three somewhat extreme replies versus the Vita so far out of 50-some-odd so far where the rest are either open enough to not comment on Sony or the Vita specifically, or they're happy to see both the 3DS and Vita doing well together. That's pretty good for a straight Nintendo-based website I think. :/

DaveC

DaveC said:

@Five-seveN "I don't really know why it matters to fans that the 3DS sells better than the Vita over in Japan. Just play your games, have fun, and ignore sales figures."

Simple. More sales=more developer interest= more games made.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I figured the 3DS would be back on top this week. I'm surprised Animal Crossing is selling so incredibly well.

Devil_Surivior

Devil_Surivior said:

@Bankai What are you talking about? No, one is bashing the Vita. I'm sick you of calling people fanboys just because they are happy the 3DS is selling well.

Bankai

Bankai said:

@theblackdragon I hoped that with all the information available on the internet that the overwhelming majority of people (as in 99.999%) would understand the basic rule that monopoly = bad, competition = good.

The Vita doing well benefits the 3DS. That in turn benefits even the most diehard Nintendo fan.

Faruko

Faruko said:

Wow... that was short, it was obvious, new games makes people go and decide to buy a console even if they didnt wanted before, lower price makes people that are on the edge of buying one, buy it it.

last 2-3 weeks saw 2-3 new successfull Vita games and they were on top, now we see a new (successfull) game on the 3DS, and hey !! they are back on top, even with the price cut just a few weeks ago...