Nintendo Download: 14th February 2013 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Hitting the streets with Wii U, going digging, time travelling and more

It may be the most loved up day of the year and an occasion for Nintendo Direct madness, but we still have a download update to deal with. Nintendo delayed the details slightly while Reggie Fils-Aime and company did their thing, but now we know about a Wii U app and a mixture of goodies across all systems, so let's get to it.

Wii U eShop

Wii Street U Powered by Google (Nintendo, free) — Not long after its arrival in Japan, this free download makes its way West to give Wii U owners use of a customised version of Google Street view. This app lets you explore 360 degree views using the GamePad motion controls; you can either choose a destination or quickly jump to 70 iconic pre-set locations. We'll snoop around the virtual streets and bring you our thoughts soon.

3DS Virtual Console

Dig Dug (Namco Bandai, $3.99) — This NES title may not be as well known as some, due to it originally failing to make it out of Japan until its appearance on the Wii Virtual Console. It's a NES version of an arcade title, so despite some occasionally fun action puzzling there's a shortage of unique levels — they eventually loop until you run out of lives. We'll be going into the depths for a fresh review of this 3DS VC release, but until then you can check out our Dig Dug Wii Virtual Console review

3DS retail demo

NARUTO Powerful Shippuden (Namco Bandai, free) — Arriving in March, this is a side-scrolling adventure featuring Naruto & Rock Lee, with cute presentation, two different stories and accessible gameplay targeting all ages. Now you can have a free sample to see whether it packs a punch.

3DS retail downloads

Rabbids Travel in Time 3D (Ubisoft, $29.99)
Petz Fantasy 3D (Ubisoft, $29.99)

DSiWare

Moke Moke (G-STYLE, 200 Nintendo Points) — This action rumble game is a surprise import from Japan; it features single player levels but seems to focus on battle-royale style matches for up to four players. Details on this are scarce — at the time of writing there isn't even an official Nintendo profile page — but we'll fearlessly jump in and bring you a review soon.

Wii Virtual Console

World Heroes 2 Jet (D4 Enterprise, 900 Nintendo Points) — It's Neo Geo, it's fighting, so you mostly know the drill. This one's the third in this particular series, a direct sequel to World Heroes 2 and predecessor to World Heroes Perfect. Once we get over that confusion we'll get scrapping to bring you a review.

After the thrills and spills of Nintendo Direct, it's a slightly quiet week, it seems. Let us know what you think and what you intend to buy in the comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (240 votes)

Dig Dug (3DS Virtual Console)

10%

Rabbids Travel in Time 3D (3DS retail download)

Petz Fantasy 3D (3DS retail download)

Moke Moke (DSiWare)

World Heroes 2 Jet (Wii Virtual Console)

Only freebie downloads for me

60%

Nothing for me this week

26%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Knux

Knux said:

Dig Dug and the Powerful Shippuden demo are the only new downloads that have my interest.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

I would go after Dig Dug today, but seeing as how I already have that game on Wii VC , I'll just go after the Naruto DEMO.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I can't help but be disappointed by the lack of Tank! Tank! Tank!, Zen Pinball 2, and Runner 2 this week. Ah well. At least the latter 2 are confirmed to be coming in the next 2 weeks, along with the Monster Hunter demo. I just hope we get the free-to-play Tank! Tank! Tank! over here at some point.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

You'd think the day of a Nintendo Direct, we'd get a better set of releases. Woof. I'll just pass on everything. If I want to see the outside world, I'll go outside.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I may pick up some Fire Emblem Awakening DLC... the one with all the gold is tempting, but so is the champions pack.

Tethers

Tethers said:

Where is Retro City Rampage?

I mean, if it doesn't come to the Wii anymore, the developer should say it...

Kaboom

Kaboom said:

Just grabbing the Naruto demo for now. Dig Dug is tempting because I'm a total Virtual Console whore, but... the forthcoming GBC Harvest Moon has me instinctively saving my money now.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Was counting on the FTP version of Tank! Tank Tank! for NA but I can wait.

Now to impress and likely scare the 35+ age group of my family with Wii Street U.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I would voted for World Heroes 2 Jet but i have already World Heroes Perfect. Then i vote for Dig Dug because it is the first VC game import without the 100 extra points it cost in Wii.

tddct89

tddct89 said:

Whoa, I honestly didn't think I'd be getting any games this week and I was right. But just last night I was watching videos of Wii street u and wondering when it would come to North America. I'm sure virtually exploring the world will keep me occupied until next Thursday, no problem, thanks Nintendo!

Edit: I don't own a 3DS and I don't buy WiiWare/virtual console. I won't buy VC until the actual VC is released in it's entirety this summer.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Downloading Fire Emblem content now! Later, that Naruto demo (not a fan but will give it a go) and Wii Street U. Hope we get the free Tank Tank Tank soon but I'm satisfied this week. :)

Shanksta

Shanksta said:

@Tethers He said that it should be within the next couple weeks. I'm tired of waiting too but on his facebook page he said that Wii players will get a nice bonus. No idea what it is though. I can't wait.

Fire Emblem DLC and streetview for me.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

What happened to that free Tank game? Oh well.
Too bad Fire Emblem Awakening is still 40 bucks....not sure if I want to spend that on the download version. Now if I could only find a retail copy around here..

Azikira

Azikira said:

Oh my god, 3DS did you read my mind that I wished for some classic Dig Dug action?? 83

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

If Moke Moke has downloadable play such that only one purchase is needed I will probably give it a try. Without strong reviews, I don't think it is worth an $8 gamble for 4 players.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

Are we ever going to get Sonic Labyrinth and Sonic Blast? :(

Anyway, I'll just be picking up Dig Dug and that Wii Street U app for myself.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

Dig Dug and Wii U Street Viewer for me. I was hoping Tank Tank Tank free version would come out today though

Wolf

Wolf said:

Zen Pinball will be the end of this month. I messaged Barbie on Miiverse and thats what she said. My guess would be on the 28th

LordGeovanni

LordGeovanni said:

Are people really that surprised about Dig Dug? I had that game on the PS1. It was part of one of the Namco Collections. It is not bad but it is just short levels like Pacman. I get bored of those types of games quickly but it was one of the best of its kind that I have ever seen.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Kinda of a quiet week after last week's additions to the VC and DSiware.