Nintendo Download: 20th September 2012 (North America)

Posted by Damien McFerran

Surfing, retro pockets and the long-awaited La-Mulana!

Roll up, roll up, it's another generous helping of digitally-downloaded goodness from our North American Nintendo Download report! Feast your eyeballs on the following treats and start counting those virtual pennies - there's purchasing to be done.

3DS eShop

Rising Board 3D (odenis studio, $2.99) — Set in the same wacky world as Pop Island, this unique title mixes together surfing and stunt-work to create one of the most visually striking eShop games we've seen so far. Unfortunately we had mixed feelings about the gameplay, so be sure to check out our Rising Board 3D review before buying.

Last Chance!

It's your last Chance to Get Pokédex 3D, this free download will be withdrawn from the eShop on 1st October. Pokédex 3D Pro will be arriving on the 3DS eShop on 8th November to take its place for a price.

3DS eShop Demo

The "Denpa" Men: They Came By Wave (Genius Sonority Inc - free demo) - Mysterious little creatures called "Denpa" Men float around near radio waves. You can't see them normally, but you can find them and catch them in this dungeon RPG for Nintendo 3DS. Download the demo for now to see what you think — the full game is out on the 27th September, along with our review.

Video

Meat or Die: Naomi - Your favorite dim-witted dinosaurs are back on the search for meat! This time, when Yans is tempted to go vegetarian, Gans snaps him out of it and refocuses their attention on their next big prize: Naomi. (For Nintendo 3DS / Nintendo 3DS XL)

DSiWare

Retro Pocket (UFO Interactive Games, $4.99 / 500 pts ) - Retro Pocket is a fun and exciting video game that brings you back to the glory days of LED handhelds! Watch out for our review.

WiiWare

La-Mulana (EnjoyUp Games, 1000 Points) — This game's epic quest to WiiWare is almost as thrilling and action-packed as an Indiana Jones movie. Thankfully, there's a happy end to this tale as La-Mulana is now available in North America (and Europe) and looks better than ever. Our review is still in the works but we'd be very surprised if this turns out to be anything but amazing.

If you own a Wii then there's a very good chance you'll be picking La-Mulana this week. Regardless of your choice, be sure to take a second or two to vote in our all-important poll below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (196 votes)

Rising Board 3D (3DS eShop)

Retro Pocket (DSiWare)

La-Mulana (WiiWare)

45%

Nothing for me this week

46%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

What a weird title for Denpa Ningen RPG. I'm not even sure what to think about it...

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

People will still call this a bad week just because there are no 3DS VC games released.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Obviously i will pick today La Mulana.

I´m interested too in the review of Retro Pocket, i liked the video.

And i will play the demo, i didn´t know anything about that game.

photofool83

photofool83 said:

I was expecting Harvest Moon GBC and Legend of the River King, this week, due to PS3 getting PS2 versions of each on Tuesday. Oh well, still a very good week.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Does the English version of Denpa Ningen explain what the meaning of "denpa" is, and that it's a Japanese word? Or is it just displayed as a silly video game term?

I mean, of course people here look at that and know what it means right away, but denpa...its not exactly a Japanese 101 word, and of course people who don't study the language aren't going to know what it means. It'd be nice if at least in the games instructions they explain the word. Nice little learning moment. :)

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

Sakura Samurai is fun and worth the couple of bucks that it costs but let me know if you ever beat the final boss, he's really tough.

GrandSparkster

GrandSparkster said:

Finally! A worthwhile Wiiware game. Of course, I'll have to dust off my Wii and see if I have any points left for La-Mulana.

After seeing a weird trailer for Denpa Men, I'm willing to give the demo a shot.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

Jeez! I had no idea La-Mulana was coming this fast over to the US on the same week the UK got it. That seems like the only thing worth downloading this week. Although with me, I'll wait until after I see the reviews for it.

@Bass_X0

Just be glad we got something good last week like Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon from the GAME BOY.

@ouroborous

I thought the same thing about La-Mulana being for the 3DS and I nearly got flamed for it at the beginning of the week.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

La-Mulana looks cool, but I don't really buy downloadable stuff for the Wii anymore. I wish it had come to 3DS eShop, which judging by this week's haul could have used a good game.

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

Yeah, the first WiiWare title in AGES that makes me wish I hadn't handed my Wii over to my mother. But I'll definitely be giving that demo a shot and likely purchasing it next week.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

I don't know, but the more I think on La-Mulana being put out on WiiWare , the more I think that THAT game may be the FINAL game on WiiWare before the whole WiiWare service dies.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Today is also The Denpa Men day! :D <3

If I could, I would vote for getting the demo first (in the NL poll).

ejamer

ejamer said:

Nice week for me! Interested in La Mulana, Rising Board 3D, and the 3DS demo.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

I mostly understand that demo versions don't really count for the poll, but The Denpa Men should be an exception because I know people who were really wanting this forever!

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Nothing for me this week but than again I have my hands full with Borderlands atm.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Everyone should get every demo anyway, even if they have been waiting for it or not. Its something free to play at least.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@Bass_X0 I totally agree with you. It's a demo, why not try it out? I have a buddy with only 1 3DS retail game and a few downloads, yet he hasn't downloaded any demos yet. Mind boggling.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

@3DSLUIGI You said you thought La-Mulana would be the last game to hit WiiWare. I was just letting you know that at least one more was coming. Not trying to troll at all.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

@ Tasuki
Nice! Looks like Gearbox stepped it up with BL2, unfortunately all of my spare cash is going towards the Wii U launch.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

@sketchturner

Sorry about that, but I thought I read somewhere not too long ago, I can't remember where exactly. But anyways, point overall, I thought I saw somewhere that Retro City Rampage was supposed to have been cancelled.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Is La-Mulana anything like Spelunky (XBLA)? Or do they just share a similar setting with very different gameplay? I know L-M is supposed to be great, but I played the free online version and was turned off pretty quickly. Hopefully the WiiWare version is more accessible...

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

Isn't the Japanese term "denpa" basically equivalent to "misanthrope"? Totally my type of game! I hate people, and they certainly give me weird looks when I tell them I can see radio men flying around my head :D

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

I really want to get Marvel Pinball, but not until it is fixed. I heard the patch is out in Europe, I thought it might come today to NOA.
When it comes I'll get it. Glad Zen is supporting their product.
Until then, La-Mulana perhaps?

ejamer

ejamer said:

I bet a lot of people will buy La-Mulana without understanding what kind of game it is, and end up disappointed. Or maybe I'm just underestimating how many people actually like old-school "hard as balls" games.

Omega

Omega said:

^ This is exactly what I was thinking. Not always good to follow the hype lol.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

What an odd name for Denpa men, they should have left the subtitle out, the game itself doesn't interest me though.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I WANT ZELDA II AND WARIO LAND 2 GOSH DARN IT!

But...yes, La Mulana should be lovely.

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

Sooo the odd title interests you but not the game itself.

Well maybe that's why they gave it! To attract some interest.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

Don't worry guys, I sent an email to Nintendo about the disclusion of the Denpa Men demo. I'm sure they'll put it up.
Never mind, they just put it up. :)

RR529

RR529 said:

Denpa Men demo for me. I'd get La Mulana as well, but no longer really use my Wii, and nothing else this week interests me.

Nekketsu3D

Nekketsu3D said:

hum... lazy ninty in eshop is back... :(

very interesting la mulana, but... none for eshop...

Adam

Adam said:

To an earlier commenter: La Mulana is not very much like Spelunky. La Mulana is not randomly generated and I think it is open world, not level based.

Both however are 2d combat based platformers with an archaeological theme and a whip as primary weapon.

Spelunky is awesome. I haven't played La Mulana yet but know enough to know what I've told you.

I-U

I-U said:

Searched Denpa Men to find the demo, and after playing it, what an awesome game we're set to be getting next week. I really like what I've played so far, and can see myself investing a lot of time into the full version coming next week.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Nothing again this week. It really isn't that hard with the back catalog of NES,Game Boy, and Game Gear games to release just 1 Virtual Console game a week.

1takauchiha

1takauchiha said:

Am I the only one who can't get the demo, even by searching for it? I decided to update just to try this stupid thing, and nothing :/

HADAA

HADAA said:

They did say "We're Denpa Men and we live around radio waves" in the demo, so the translation is there. Maybe it's just weird calling them Radiowave Men.
@1takauchiha I live in the West Coast and I got it. There's a banner that just says "Demos" with the Denpa Men graphic and you can't miss it. (The 5th icon to the right of "News") Try again at a later time if you must.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I download:

Rising Board 3D - Decided to give pop island games a second chance. ;)
Retro Pocket
Denpa Men - Demo - Played it & got through the first level where it said it'd transfer my data to the full version - Debating getting it. Look's promising as a 3dsware title though. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Ugh. Bad week this week, but not as bad as the other weeks thanks to La-mulana and the demo. But seriously, if the two game gear sonics are in the COMING SOON section, and have eshop ratings (meaning the files are uploaded to the eshop and playable), then why is it taking so long for it to come? I just want them as they are fun games to pass time, PLUS we are closer to the epic sword of Hajya game!

Happy that there is a demo this week, as I'm out of money. But still, where are those games that were promised 2 (almost 3) months ago?

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Awesome, totally wasn't expecting a demo on a game that I'm n the fence about and will definitely help me make a decision. giant hint Nintendo!
Hurray for La-Mulana too. Good week!