Cloudberry Kingdom Will Be Wii U's Most Difficult Download Game

Posted by James Newton

We mean it

How hard do you like your old-school 2D platformers? Was Super Meat Boy too easy for you? Then check out Cloudberry Kingdom, a new download game coming to Wii U later this year.

Pwnee Studios is so confident in Cloudberry Kingdom's relentless difficulty it's promising to give $1,000 to the first person to complete it on the hardest setting. How hard is that? This video below makes it look pretty difficult.

Pwnee has slapped a December release date on the game and is accepting donations through — yep — Kickstarter.

[via pwnee.com]

BenAV

BenAV said:

I would like $1,000... but there is no way I could do that! D:

Dynetheous

Dynetheous said:

there has to be a pattern to it...so if i learn the pattern then its all good..but then to execute the path is a different story :P

I like the infinite level thing

James

James said:

@Zephren All the levels are generated in real-time, so there's nothing to memorise. It's different every time you play, hence the infinite levels :)

TikiTong

TikiTong said:

This makes Super Meat boy look like a childs edutainment game...and boy was SMB difficult

Mercury9

Mercury9 said:

And this harnesses the power of Wii U how exactly? -_-
Games like this are just boring :P

Mercury9

Mercury9 said:

@Mayoman95
This type of game is just so inane and bland. I'm bored with the video!
Maybe I don't have the patience, maybe I play better games. Who knows.

I know this though, Pay ME $1000 and I'll play it. I'd love the winner to be say, be a 7 year old pwner and not get his reward :D

Mindless...

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

@Mercury: you wouldn't say that if you were playing the game and frantically trying to dodge thousands of frickin' laser beams and spiky ball things. It's a download game, likely to be priced much lower than a full retail game, designed as a small distraction.

To me, this looks like one of the most interesting indie games I've ever seen.

Mercury9

Mercury9 said:

Um. The challenge for $1000 can't be by beating a randomly generated level that differs for everyone surely, can it?

It wouldn't be fair. Playing it on it's hardest, I may get a hard level with more enemies and someone else may also get one but maybe they'd get more platforms to use and have less enemies to dodge.

At least make the competition for the $1000 equal for everyone and don't make it random!

Randomly generating games are awful and the idea of it happening in real time puts an already uninterested gamer even more put off by it :P

ejamer

ejamer said:

@Mercury9
Dude, we get it. You don't like the game, it's not for you. Move on already instead of looking for silly things to bash every second post and let people who do enjoy this type of stuff to post instead.

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

Wow, that looks deliciously painful, I can't wait to play it. I missed Super Meat Boy, so this will be my first go-round with such a difficult platformer. I love the simplistic art style, which I think goes well with the style of game it is. I'm definitely excited for this now.

shake_zula

shake_zula said:

Holy ****... I like my old-school-hard 2D platformers but that's a bit much?! A couple of those sequences looked incomprehensible. Definite purchase, but I'm scared.

Also, not sure what all of the rocketbox, tiny bob, fat man stuff is about? I don't think this genre benefits from extra gamemodes, or even multiplayer at all. Six difficulty levels also seems a bit silly, I've never seen the need for more than two or three.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

If the game has infinite levels how am I supposed to beat it & win the $1000? Not to mention seeing the hardest difficulty, how am I supposed to even beat 1 level? :P

47drift

47drift said:

There's a difference between a good challenge and an unpleasant experience. These developers clearly do not know of that difference.

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

@Mercury9
Fyi, this game isn't finished yet. The programming is done, but the reason they are trying to raise some funds on Kickstarter is so they can hire a few more people to polish the game. This is what they will do with the Kickstarter money (taken directly from their Kickstarter page):

"We'll hire a full time artist to make the game shine in all its glory.

We'll find an animator to help polish the game and make some awesome cinematics. We promise the cinematics will be less ridiculous than our kickstarter video.

If any money is left over we will probably upgrade our programmer's diet regime from cat food to human food. Maybe."

LMFAO over that last one, but anyway, this means that the game will look a hell of a lot better when it finally releases.

CapnPancakes

CapnPancakes said:

I really am excited for this one. The levels and amount of moving objects and flashing lasers looks insane but multiplayer would be hilarious with a buddy.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Though I doubt I'll ever be able to beat this game (is it even beatable, what with infinite levels and all?), I'm definitely interested. If the price is right, this will be one of the first Wii U download games on my list. Either way, I'm glad to see Wii U getting support 6 months before release. That's definitely a good sign.

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Well, if they keep the difficulty like, "okay, I've figured out the pattern of this level", instead of "goddang it they keep changing patterns", that would be just unfair.

JakobG

JakobG said:

I like that the levels are generated in real time, that keeps the game from becoming a simon says-muscle memory game.

DashChargedShot

DashChargedShot said:

For all thiose that are wondering with the beatable infinite levels- there's probably a mode that's defatable and a mode that has randomly generated levels.

Mercury9

Mercury9 said:

@3Dangerous3Dash

It'll have to surely so that people can compete and win the $1000 in a fair way.
It'd be like a kid playing conkers with a guy using a wrecking ball! Make it a standard level. At least for the comp. :)

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

@47drift Actually they do.

Thats why there are 5 difficulty settings.

Hardcore and Masochistic is for those seeking a insanely hair ripping out challenge

Jahir

Jahir said:

I'll train by trying to beat the No death mode in VVVVVV :C And... the visuals are ok, I guess they still can improve them a little, that'd be great. I'd like to hear some of the in game music too.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Reminds me of that Atari content, only with money instead of swords, crowns, etc. as prizes.

But you know some Japanese gamer's gonna win it right? Would be nice if this prizes was for each region ($1000 for the first American gamer to beat, £1000 for the first UK gamer to beat it, etc.)

EvilLink

EvilLink said:

I wish I could play super meat boy to get an idea of how hard/harder this game is but, alas, I can't connect to the internetz with my Wii =/

Mercury9

Mercury9 said:

@EvilLink
Um. It's cancelled?!

Personally, I think Super Meat Boy is easy.
The Dishwasher VS on Live would be an awesome Wii addition. Not hard as such but my is it gorgeous to look at :)

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

There is no way with my platforming skills I could do this.
Now they mentioned 6 but should 5.... I'm scared at the chance that there is something harder not shown in that video

Bane

Bane said:

Whoever wins the reward is truly a master of games... He shall be worshiped.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Making a game impossible is easy, making it difficult is challenging, and being the hardest game isnt exactly a noble title - when it comes down to it gaming is for fun (in most cases) and if a game gets to a level of difficulty where it isnt fun anymore, it's nothing to be proud of..

Henmii

Henmii said:

The game has a pretty simple look, tough not bad persee!

Anyway, looks incredibly hard!! I may download it, but it's a pity all levels are generated randomly. There is no real level-design to be found here. I rather have hard levels that are made with love and care, like in DKC Returns or Rayman origins!

Qeuix

Qeuix said:

Dude this game is awesome I am so getting this at one of my first Wii U games, along with Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros. Mii, and Rayman Legends. I will get Runner 2 as well too if it gets officially confirmed for a release. :)

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@James Are you going to post the winner of the 1000 euros, even if it's say 4 years from the games initial release?

odd69

odd69 said:

Looks hard as hell. Id like to play it on a easier difficulty though, I like a lil more relaxed platformer

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Oh... wow... WTF, you have GOT to be kidding. I could not even keep up with video as there was simply TOO much going on. It's like, @$$hole Mario come to life! "pwn"ee... LOL! I'm not going nowhere near this game, I think I got a better chance at getting $1000 at a casino :p

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Looks interesting however I think I may not be able to handle that insanely hard difficulty. $1000 does sound nice though I probably rather play it for fun than for money.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Themadmonk

Themadmonk said:

Is this a joke? This looks absurd! I've played difficult games but......hahaha so insane it's epic.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

@TheDarkness How?! That's the best part! It's something different every time!

Also you're officially a cheapskate if you would only buy it for a buck or two.

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

the video looks absolutely ridiculous. not sure if in a good or bad way. but what the hell is even going on in that game?
yikes.
good luck to all those who play it!

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

To anyone who's considering it: the beta is out on Steam now for donators and it's definitely a must-buy IMO. People who donate through Kickstarter can get the Steam or Wii U version for free.