Monster Hunter 3G Definitely Doesn't Have Online Play

Posted by James Newton

The final word

Capcom's confirmed its much anticipated 3DS title Monster Hunter 3 G, due out in Japan in December, definitely won't have online play.

The game's official Japanese site restates that the 3DS's online capabilities are only used to download extra content, and that anyone wanting to play multiplayer will need to get together with like-minded players in the real world.

Of course, the Monster Hunter series is renowned for its multiplayer meet-ups in Japan, so it's unlikely the lack of online play will drastically reduce its chances of success.

[via andriasang.com]

Oregano

Oregano said:

Lame. Both Resident Evils and Street Figher have online - why can't Monster Hunter?

pikku

pikku said:

@daznsaz Not really, considering everyone and their goldfish play Monster Hunter in Japan. So they'll have no problem finding someone to connect with. =)

Leon_Pryde

Leon_Pryde said:

Great... Well, that's one less reason for me to buy a 3DS. I kinda wish that Monster Hunter was more popular here.

47drift

47drift said:

Welp. Sale lost. Guess I'll just keep playing on my Wii until 4 comes out.

Aviator

Aviator said:

@Oregano Monster Hunter is more complex than meeting up with one other playing and playing fisticuffs with another.

Tate24

Tate24 said:

Very disappointed in this news:(
i dont know anyone with 3DS :(

seriously sort it out for european release as wont seening any of my money if you dont!

Love monster hunter but needs online :(

James

James said:

Reminder: the game isn't even confirmed for release outside of Japan yet. Thanks — please continue.

SnowmanGER

SnowmanGER said:

I will not buy it without an online multipalyer, like starfox 64. It´s not worth it. Imagine you play Battlefield with bots only. That´s boring. And it´s the same with Monster Hunter.

I hope that Monster Hunter 4 will support Online Gaming.

shoopdawoop70

shoopdawoop70 said:

If monster hunter 4 comes out in US with online, it's a day 1 pick up for me. This one, not so much.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Did everyone miss the sentence "download extra data", okay it might not have online play, but hey at least you can download new stuff. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the PSP versions NOT come with online? Yet they still sold well...

Also, this hasn't even been confirmed it's coming outside of Japan, yet. No point in getting in a huff about a game that might not even come to your country. unless you import yourself a Japanese 3DS and Monster Hunter 3G ofcourse...

I'm sure it'll still be great, online or no online.

JayArr

JayArr said:

It will still be fun but nothing beats hunting with your friends on-line.

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

I really dont see what the deal is here, Monster Hunter 3G hasnt been announced as being released outside Japan and like Monster Hunter G on the wii it probably wont be. It will still sell well enough in Japan and all the money will probably get ploughed into Monster Hunter 4, which also like Monster Hunter Tri on the wii, will probably get a worldwide release with the inclusion of Online Multiplayer.
It just looks exactly what they did with the wii.

Aviator

Aviator said:

@StarwarsBuff777 "Of course, the Monster Hunter series is renowned for its multiplayer meet-ups in Japan."
As pik mentioned, everyone and their goldfish own MH in Japan, everyone can play with everyone.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

if we get it hopefully it will have online.at the minute i dont know anyone who has a 3ds.when ive looked at peoples stats on doa.ive only ever seen one player who had played local matches.it would be a good game but with online for me it would be a keeper.if the gamers in japan arent bothered fair enough.but personally id like to have it.

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

For me it's not much of a problem because I know at least 3 people with 3DS that I sit with for an hour on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays after school doing nothing but wait for the bus. Once I go to college... well hopefully by that time the 3DS will be much more widespread.

Samholy

Samholy said:

sale lost definitely.
monster hunter is great because it has online play.
without online play, it becomes a bland grinding experience.

i will wait and see if they do the same mistake with monster hunter 4.

and definitely, heroes of ruins will be much better

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@YellowChocobo: Didn't Capcom set up their own servers for Tri on Wii? If so, this is most likely just them making the decision :O

Also, westerners are so lonely apparently...

SuperPeach

SuperPeach said:

It makes sense. If everyone plays it and it's easy to find people anywhere who have the game and want to play why spend the money to make servers for them to do the same thing but with strangers, not only that but you can't keyboard chat and voice or video would make it even laggier than it already is.

zionich

zionich said:

This doesnt bother me, only because I know people that will be playing it. Im sure some ad-hoc throught the PC will show up for this also. But ya, who cares unless it comes to the U.S. Thought im still tempted to get it all from Japan still =)

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Still hoping it gets the TVC treatment in the west., really wanted a diablo style game and this was going to be my first MH.

Heroes of Ruin here I come.

weird that all the other capcom games have online. even RER which is a single player game from the get go.

Emborges

Emborges said:

@Peachy I agree too, but this is true for Japan only...unfortunately.

Now I highly doubt they'll release the game outside of Japan..because it wouldn't work that well.

Downloading extra content using the 3DS's online capabilities looks like a nice idea, but it's not enough if we can't play the game online. Playing with strangers is always fun if you're into it, and sometimes (in the case of this game) it's the only option. :(

I see this as a big limitation.

pixelman

pixelman said:

If it comes stateside, there's always the possibility that they'll add online for us like they did with Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

Knux

Knux said:

Disappointing, because I would have bought this if it had online. :(

BlueBandanaJake

BlueBandanaJake said:

Guess everyone's spoiled by the times, which isnt something to be ashamed of really. The PSP games were the same in that they didnt have online, but I guess im a little disappointed by this news too. Still will totally buy it if it comes stateside though, online or not (but here's hoping)

SavageBlackWolf

SavageBlackWolf said:

I`ve never played one, so i might still buy it just to see what all the fuss is about. (if it`s released here that is).

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

Its settled, if it does get released elsewhere I won't be getting it. Heroes of Ruin, here I come!

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I guess now I have no reason to buy this anymore. I'll just stick with my copy of Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Haha, too bad for you guys. I have Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for the PSP, and I'm having a ton of fun with it, even without online. In fact, I didn't even miss the online. I'm still going to get this if it releases in America even without online, and I'm going to love it.

Dynetheous

Dynetheous said:

I might actually get this if the extra downloads are decent. but it sucks because no one in my community plays MH or even in my school. I might find someone and have get together but otherwise the extra content better be freaking awesome for me to buy it.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Because I didn't even play or could play online games before this year no online is not a deal breaker for me. Still getting Heroes of Ruin as well.

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

Why are some of you guys bringing Nintendo into the equation? I'm pretty sure this decision was made by Capcom alone, and it smacks of greed. Can't say I'm too surprised though, considering how they've been going about business lately

Glade

Glade said:

Well we don't know it it will even be localized. Tho if it isn't I wouldn't be surprised. It's Capcom after all... >.<

BRAINFOX

BRAINFOX said:

I don't get why you guys are freaking out about this. I don't have to worry about getting lag, crappy players, hacks, logging on to servers, or having a much shorter game when the servers close. I'll have and can do everything I could when I first played through the game at any time. I do have to say, Capcom better localize this and put in all the stuff from MHP3rd. We've waited LONG ENOUGH

EDIT: btw, All these comments saying you guys won't buy it if it has no online just reassures Japan that us silly westerners are more comfortable playing our ridiculous games instead of what they're trying to sell us. Monster Hunter never had online for it's portable installments(all of which were on systems with online capabilities) and it's never hurt its sales before. For those who were concerned about online, there was XLink Kai

TromboneGamer

TromboneGamer said:

I have friends that want to play, but it still woulda been awesome to have a killer online game for 3DS. I WANT IN AMERICA NAO!

Shock_Tart

Shock_Tart said:

well on the off chance it DOES come out in other places than just japan. hearing that it dont have online play is kind of a deal breaker for me.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

@ LiquidVolt

About 0% of all those ppl aren't from Japan yet they worry about a regional situation. Monster Hunter G won't be release here in the NA or anywhere else, better to save those hopes for Monster Hunter 4.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Hey, at least it has some online mode for dlc (quests most likely like the Portable).

If it comes, I'll get it and hope by then, Xlink Kai can set up a room for 3DS to play "local" games online like with PSP :D