Round Table: The Ambassador NES Games

Posted by Nintendo Life Staff

Thomas Whitehead: Moving on now! I would agree that the early releases mean that basic emulations are fair enough. It's been alluded to already, but how much does this style of basic emulation affect the gameplay, more authentically retro and challenging, perhaps?

Jacob Crites: If you're just talking about the ability to play it on the 3DS, I'd still say it's the best way to play it. Metroid, for example, really benefits from the ability to start where you left off. It's not as "authentic" as playing it on the NES, but it's certainly more convenient.

James Newton: They do feel very much like playing NES games on a 3DS: the controls take a bit of getting used to and I could do with a map, but with passwords and no restore points this is what our younger, perhaps brainier selves would have played and rattled through in no time.

Corbie Dillard: Good point.

Marcel van Duyn: Hey, the minus world still works in Super Mario Bros., so it's all fine with me.

Jacob Crites: Hey, but you know what doesn't? The 99 lives trick!

Marcel van Duyn: Yeah I heard about that not working, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thomas Whitehead: In terms of difficulty specifically, does the lack of restore points test your retro ninja gaming skills, as in when you die, you go back to the start? Zelda II, for example, is giving me a lot of problems.

James Newton: I haven't been able to get past World 1-2 in Mario without using the warp pipes yet. True story.

Thomas Whitehead: Oh, James, oh dear...

Ron DelVillano: Yeah, and that’s the best part about it. It’s a reminder that you used to have to invest time into the games that you were playing in order to get good at them!

Corbie Dillard: I like it that way, myself. I don't really care for these restore points and how they soften the overall difficulty of these VC games. Maybe it's just the old-schooler in me.

Christopher Ingram: I am a ‘retro ninja gamer,’ and I’ve got mad Ninja Gaiden skills to prove it too, but to answer the question, I actually like not having the restore points; it wouldn’t be right to be able to start anywhere but at the beginning of Zelda II.

Jacob Crites: Zelda II is in my opinion the only game that NEEDS them, because that game has always needed something to make the challenge more reasonable. I repeat: I simply cannot make it to the second dungeon.

Zach Kaplan: Honestly, I'm loving this. Playing with restore points is just a different, less challenging, less exciting experience when I can just re-start before (or during) a boss battle and never actually lose a life. The stakes are lower, and it's just not how it was intended to be played. I admit it works less well with a game like Metroid, but this has woken me up personally to how much I relied on restore points before and how much more fun I'm having now.

Also, Zelda II protip: don't blow up the dungeons until later on when it's harder to earn experience points, just get the candle/hammer/etc and get outta there.

Marcel van Duyn: I think restore points are nice for games like Metroid and Zelda, but the rest are all short enough for it to be negligible.

James Newton: I guess the question is: would we all be happier when the restore points are put in later this year?

Marcel van Duyn: It's nice to have, but for me personally not really something I need.

Zach Kaplan: Yeah, because it's the future and all, but I'm going to try to ween myself off relying on them too much.

Christopher Ingram: Only for Metroid!

Jacob Crites: Yes, to the 1000th degree of affirmation.

Corbie Dillard: Nope.

Ron DelVillano: Not at all, but I won’t complain… too loudly.

Thomas Whitehead: Before we move on to talk about the programme delivery and hopes for the GBA games. Can you all say which game you've played and enjoyed the most?

Marcel van Duyn: Wrecking Crew, it's one of the first games I ever played and I still love it

Jacob Crites: Metroid, Zelda and Mario (obviously), but I'm also having an absolute blast with Wrecking Crew, and something about Ice Climber keeps me coming back to it.

Ron DelVillano: I’ve always been a big fan of Ice Climber. I’d probably say I’ve spent the most time with that and The Legend of Zelda.

James Newton: Super Mario Bros. for me. That game will never get old and if it does I will stop playing games and do something else.

Zach Kaplan: I'm surprised to see myself enjoying the original Zelda so much, but I think it might be that. Zelda II and Super Mario Bros. are close seconds.

Corbie Dillard: Wrecking Crew and Zelda II would have to be the two I've played the most. Still two of my favourite NES games and it's so nice to be able to play them on the go now.

Christopher Ingram: Definitely Zelda II: The Adventures of Link; it’s the only 2D Zelda to date and incredibly challenging, which always keeps me coming back for more. If anyone doesn’t think that Nintendo can create fantastic hardcore games, Zelda II begs to differ!

Thomas Whitehead: Balloon Fight in my case, I can't get enough of the 'Balloon Trip' mode for some reason. Let’s talk about the delivery system: clumsy perhaps, did Nintendo communicate the process enough for non-gamers and technophobes?

Corbie Dillard: I wasn't too thrilled with the delivery system Nintendo used. It almost felt like they purposely hid them in the basement and sent us out to find them. I'd like to see the GBA games a bit easier to locate.

Marcel van Duyn: They should've sent out a message to all 3DS owners who qualified (at least, I don't think they did, I didn't get one) because it's hidden away pretty well.

Corbie Dillard: It just didn't feel very well thought-out overall.

Marcel van Duyn: Maybe they should've just had a section in the eShop's main menu with all 10 Ambassador games, viewable by Ambassadors only.

Corbie Dillard: I agree. That might have been a bit more clear-cut.

Ron DelVillano: It was a bit of a mess, but it didn’t end up taking nearly as much time as I thought it would. A simpler method would have been appreciated, but in the end I got my free games, so I’ve got nothing to moan about.

James Newton: To be honest Sony had a similar problem with its post-PSN hack games: if you interrupted the process, you had to go through a similar rigmarole to get them back. It was a right pain, but in the end, free games!

Jacob Crites: I suppose it was fine. If they're an Ambassador, they've got an Internet connection, which means they got a pretty detailed explanation from Nintendo on how to download them. Personally I thought it was a pretty convoluted way of doing things, but as James said, "hey! Free games!"

Christopher Ingram: It was definitely clumsy, but as others have said before me, it’s free games!

James Newton: And how about that Ambassador video? That thing blew my mind.

Corbie Dillard: I must have missed that one.

Marcel van Duyn: That thing's useful man, you can learn how to be notified of the GBA games being available in five different languages.

Jacob Crites: It blew my mind with how ridiculous and unhelpful it is.

Zach Kaplan: I agree with Corbie, it was just clumsy. It's like Nintendo hasn't learned a thing from its past mistakes. SpotPass, anyone? Oh, and the "Certificate" video is beyond ridiculous!

Thomas Whitehead: Moving on, having played the first half of your Ambassador reward, do you think the programme is a good deal; generous or stingy?

Marcel van Duyn: Very generous, most companies wouldn't even give you one free game for being an early adopter, 20 is almost a crime.

Ron DelVillano: I think it’s incredibly generous, and this is exactly the reason I’ve been a Nintendo fan all my life. They know how to treat their customers.

Christopher Ingram: It’s a good deal overall. They truly didn’t have to do anything at all, and seeing that they support their fans that supported them is always a good thing.

Corbie Dillard: I think it's a nice gesture on Nintendo's part to attempt to make those who went out and paid full price for the 3DS system feel better. In truth, they didn't really have to do anything, so I guess it's best to take what you can get sometimes.

James Newton: I think we're all mostly happy because we know that — all being well — the best is yet to come, in terms of GBA games and new retail releases on the way.

Jacob Crites: Incredibly generous. When my credit card info got stolen, I got two okay free games from Sony. When absolutely nothing happened, I get 20 free games from Nintendo. I'm a happy camper.

Corbie Dillard: Well put.

Zach Kaplan: Free games are nice, but if Nintendo is trying to offset the $80 extra from the 3DS's launch price, I think they have a long way to go with the GBA games. As for the Sony thing, I don't know if anyone's credit card info was stolen, and I'd much, much prefer a full PS3 game to this collection, more than half of which I'll rarely return to, if ever. Not to mention a free month of a PS Plus subscription. Nintendo didn't have to do this for us, but it could have done a lot more. Then again, I might take all that back when the GBA portion comes out.

Corbie Dillard: Hey, they could have given us all free add-on Circle Pad accessories!

Thomas Whitehead: I personally think it was a pretty good reward overall, plenty of companies would have done less, if anything. Finishing up with 'part two' of the programme, what are your fan-boy hopes and dreams for the GBA portion, in terms of delivery and remaining five games?

Marcel van Duyn: I'm really, really hoping Advance Wars is in there, for the rest I don't really mind as long as they're not completely stupid picks.

Ron DelVillano: I hope that the delivery is simpler (which it probably won’t be). As far as games go, I’d really like to see Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Mario Tennis: Power Tour, and Golden Sun games. Another personal favourite of mine is Altered Beast: Guardian of the Realms. I wouldn’t mind seeing that bad-boy on the list either!

Christopher Ingram: A better delivery would be nice, but not exactly necessary, as we all already know how to download them now when they arrive. Fan-boy dreams for upcoming GBA games: F-Zero: GP Legend, Donkey Kong Country, and Mario: Pinball Land to name a few, but I’d really like to see Nintendo pull out a shocker and bring Rhythm Tengoku and Densetsu no Stafy!

Zach Kaplan: When I had my GBA I mostly played ports, so I'd like to see some Minish Cap, etc. — original GBA experiences, not Mario Advance titles. Mario & Luigi would be a great choice, so is Advance Wars and Minish Cap. And Mother 3 would be very nice...

Corbie Dillard: Give me Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and Golden Sun and I'll be happy.

Jacob Crites: Superstar Saga. That's really all a man needs in this world.

Corbie Dillard: How true.

Thomas Whitehead: So if Superstar Saga isn't there, you'll be marching on Nintendo HQ with pitchforks?

Corbie Dillard: Absolutely.

Jacob Crites: No, but I will rant to high-heaven on message boards that they'll never read!

James Newton: Depends — if Minish Cap comes instead, I could probably stomach it.

Thomas Whitehead: Thanks everyone, that wraps it up. Now, who’s up for some multiplayer in Star Fox 64 3D?

Our thanks to everyone for their time and insight, and for their (reasonably) good behaviour. Let us know what you think of the Ambassador Programme so far in the comments below!

Collinhall

Collinhall said:

Yeah, I printed out the LOZ world map to help me through the game a few days ago. Is that normal :S

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Interesting chat you guys had here, very well worth the read to see each other's opinions and discuss about them on here. :3 clap clap

skywake

skywake said:

The silly certificate thing also has spotpass notifications. If you enable it they'll send you info about developments in ambassador land so it's not entirely pointless. I got a message from it the other day saying "so you worked out how to download the free games and such? This is just to remind you that you can download free games and such"

They also have a video on the frontpage of the eShop now walking you through the download process. So that should make it a bit easier for the technophobes.... I guess....

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I never played Wrecking Crew before, and I think its been the surprise hit for me. I don't think Yoshi is the best puzzle game but I've had some fun with it.

ueI

ueI said:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the (lack of) multiplayer in the ambassador titles.

MotorTCD

MotorTCD said:

For the most part i dont like this selection i mean yeah there free but only like 4 of these games are really the type of game i'd play more then once though the one game i trully hated so far was the golf one for me the controls were terrible(ok i'll admit im a little spoiled by tiger woods and mario golf but still)

ueI

ueI said:

Thank you for reminding me, JirachiFan. I couldn't even figure out how to play the golf game. There was no manual or in game tutorial and my experiments resulted in the ball moving a foot when hit. Guess what I deleted first?

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

im having fun with the yoshi game.you can put your score on friend list for competition.i like all the games but want saves.will we be getting instant restore point for the nes.like we have for gb?

Ren

Ren said:

The delivery system is a horrible embarrasement since just that sort of thing is the reason they had to do this in the first place. I'm a little dissapointed in the lack of outrage from NL on that. Of course us, as Nintendo geeks, made a point to toil through it, but it was absolutely buried and a mess to traverse for any normal consumer. How is that in any way an improvement on all the launch mistakes made that this was supposed to be an apology for?
I guess the point is that the early adopters were only people that are web savvy/ fans enough to dig out those games at any cost, but it's no excuse for such horrible execution.
Anyway, the selection is ok, and I kind of liked the golf thing once I figured out the controls.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Wrecking Crew's a little obtuse for my liking: nowadays, if a puzzle game makes it that easy to run yourself into a corner and get killed, they let you have infinite lives! :( On another note, I'm shocked at how much time I've spent enjoying Yoshi, even if it does fail to top Dr. Mario. :)

Glade

Glade said:

Hmmm well I wasn't in the NES era and I couldn't care less for these games(I still enjoy the golf game and yoshi somehow).... but well I bought my $250 3DS to play games that are either cancelled, delayed or have no plans to localize.... Seriously, I can't wait for 2011!!! :D

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

Lets face it, all these NES games are total garbage for today's standards (most of them were the same at its time also), and these might have some value, if any, only for some old nostalgic users.

Nintendo presented this as a way to compensate these having their 3DS devaluated by 100€ all of a sudden, and I bet most users will be looking at that tiny screen with big open eyes saying WTF is this?? with any of these games.

Blink

Blink said:

Been playing a lot of Zelda 1 and 2 and I'm really digging Wrecking Crew too. Besides Pictobits, I had no idea the game even existed.

pixelman

pixelman said:

I love these articles. Also, thanks for mentioning Superstar Saga. It better come or I'll be right there with ya Corbs. :O

Sondheimist

Sondheimist said:

Mandoble - Let's face it - even by today's standards at least half these games are still pretty fantastic, assuming one can get past the low quality graphics. This fairly young (I started gaming during the middle of the SNES era) gamer finds that the game play has held up remarkably well over the past 20-25 years (but I'm also the type of person who realizes that "old-fashioned" isn't always bad and that 90-year old silent films, 150-year old novels, and medieval-era music can be just as complex and high quality and entertaining as anything made today.)

In other words, several of these games have what counts - they're super fun to play, even if you weren't around for the NES era.

carson

carson said:

Recieving Super Mario Bros., Metroid, and Zelda for free was awesome!

but the other games are not good, and leaves me unsatisfied.

maybe that's why this website is calling it a "scheme"

Maggots

Maggots said:

I'm hoping that since I downloaded that Ambassador certificate... that all the GBA games will spot pass their way onto my 3DS all by themselves... I just wake up to 10 presents I get to open ... like christmas... and santa claus ... yay!!

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

Im calling old myself, but most 3DS users never played NES games.

@Sondheimist, lets suppose you never played nes games, lets suppose 3DS is your first console or might be the second after the DS. Now you see these games that you can download for free as compensation, and then you see the terrible graphics/music/controls, and what would you be thinking? Is that a joke from Nintendo? Are these the typical games that I will have for my 3DS? Might be some one will end returning the console to the shop after playing these.

ajt922

ajt922 said:

im so mad at nintendo i personally think the ambassador thing sucked how about getting something better

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

It's great to gave free games especially ten of them but of all of them only Zelda II seem interesting to me, everything else are either so-so or decent at best.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Super Mario Bros, Zelda 1 and 2. Those are the games that can keep me entertained for more than 3 minutes even today (unlike the rest of the titles). Hopefully we´ll get some other bonuses in the future, not counting GBA games most of which I already have.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

There are some classic games here and I am very pleased to see NES games finally get released in Europe running at the correct speed. I agree they look great on the 3DS screen too, better that the GBA versions released individually as NES Classics.

I'm also getting used to the d-pad on the 3DS and find it quite precise for games I played for countless hours back in the day, like Super Mario Land.

moosa

moosa said:

@Ren: "I'm a little dissapointed in the lack of outrage from NL"

Argh. Seriously? Just no.
Nintendo Life staffers, your words are refreshing after putting up with the incredible amount of complaining over this.

MrMagpie

MrMagpie said:

Zelda II - wouldn't have played it if it weren't for this. It's horrible. It's difficult. It's cruel. I love it.

Linux_Man

Linux_Man said:

I thought the games were a nice variety, to be honest when I first heard that Nintendo was going to give us free NES games I figured they'd be games like Donkey Kong Math, Volleyball and Urban Champion, rather than games like Zelda, Metroid and Super Mario Bros. There are a few games I would have switched up, I would have rather seen StarTropics and Kirby's Adventure rather than Zelda II and NES golf.

squirrelguys

squirrelguys said:

@Mandoble
well anyone who buys a game for graphics don't deserve a nintendo game. I grew up on Atari 2600 and SNES. No im not 30 i just enjoy games rebardless of graphics. Anyone who looks a Super Mario and asks what is this? dont deserve Nintendo.

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

You would be pretty good for Nintendo's marketing department: Hey gents, if you look for good graphics, music, sound and controls, then you dont deserve Nintendo. You might have convinced Nintendo that having SNES graphic power is more than enough, of course without any 3D effects, they would still be able to sell it for 260€ with a building cost of 5 dollars.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@Mandoble, you're insane and you seriously can't appreciate art can you? The original SMB imo, along with SMB2(especially) for ex are beautiful games. It's all about the art direction. Calling all of these old NES games ugly is pretty hilarious considering you're sporting an 8-bit Avatar.lol I'm guessing you probably scoffed and passed over Mega Man 9, 10 & Castlevania ReBirth because they were 8-16 bit and weren't sporting super polygonal highly realistic XBOX 360 graphics.lol

Anyways, as always all you do is complain and complain same song, different day.
I mean why are you cruising a Nintendo based site if you consantly rip on Nintendo left and right? It's totaly becoming super trollish.

lol and knowing me, if All 3DS titles were 2D/16 bit and in 3D i'd still be pretty happy haha.
I definitly wan't to see some new titles sport the sprites with the power of the 3DS. Imagine a new traditional Side Scroller Sprite based Castlevania game in the same vein as SCIV, but with the power of the 3DS and with 3D Techonology. We could be seeing some gorgeous looking stuff. But everything as of now, as been rocking the Polygons....Hopefully the next new Zelda for example on the 3DS goes back to sprites. The minish Cap looks wonderful for the GBA, so just imagine how beautiful a Sprite based Zelda title would look on the 3DS.....

That would be a 2 gen upgrade considering we never got a 2D Zelda or Metroid on the DS.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I totally agree with Waveboy here.

I am happy of getting these free games, and I still have to download the Zeldas and Metroid.

Of the ones that I had never played, the ones I like the most are Wrecking Crew and the Golf game.

I was dismayed of not having a manual for the latter, but as we did in the old days, I just tinkered with the controls until I got the hang of it. Now it is the Ambassador game that I have played the most.

Dying to get the GBA games.

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

What is this crap?! There was no minus world! I tried that and it didn't work.

@uel: You're not the only one. I couldn't figure out Golf either. Nor could I figure out Wrecking Crew, not sure what the point of that one was.

I gotta say I was more than happy with the emulation, as it fills most of the top and bottom of the screen without any blurring like the GB games on the VC. I hope that the GBA ones are emulated more like the NES games, than the GB/GBC.

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

I like the free games, especially considering I wasn't expecting to get anything at all. But, of course some people will still complain, and as the adage goes "Give them an inch and they want a mile".

Ren

Ren said:

I'm just saying, like some others have: Usually I'm one to be pleased easily, and annoyed by all the whining here, but sometimes I surprise myself at how much of a mindless fanboy I am; It has truly been a botched launch and delivery of what should have been a simple program should be a very simple task here and it should have been made easy for all the dedicated and/or newer fans that shelled out for this. Theres no excuse for it being that hard to find and operate ASSUMING they want to keep the new business coming in. I'm not talking about most of us here; I'll show up every time and by their launch consoles, it's the new people they can't afford to lose with these poor interface design problems and they keep on coming.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

don't you thinik it is possible that there are some people that DON'T think that those moldyy oldies represent the best of Nintendo? Like those that came aboard for thier innovation on the DS? There was NO ONE that represented what they DID NOT like about the ambassador program, everyone gushing over thier 'gifts'. What ever happened to giving other perspectives to an article other than fanboyism.
it is possible to get your point across without being offensive, thank you — TBD

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

@WaveBoy, probably you are right and I'm insane, but for sure you can't read. I'm not a representative 3DS user, I bet most 3DS users never played 8bit games, and most of them expect to have games with nice graphics, nice usage of the touchscreen, nice 3D effects, etc. And now all of them find a compensation in the form of a pack of games that resembles these that they might have for their cheap old mobile phones, not these games that they might expect for their 3DS.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Mandoble
...Oh brother.lol Anymore thunder piss clouds to shower over my head?
I guess I hardly complain because i look at the sunshine in life. Ya, sure the 3DS had a weakish launch, was overpriced....Even then i was super happy with my unboxing and when i got my hands on the brilliant and wonderful little device....There was no Killer must have launch title, but PilotWings Resort was a pretty awesome game imo and i loved the 3DS's features right off the bat and most importantly the incredible 3D effects. If anything i was actually dissapointed with SSFIV and Nintendog's....I never thought PilotWings would be my favorite of the 3

Also, i opened my 3DS the day before Nintendo's E3 confeerence in June which was 2 months after it's release so i got the eShop's VC right off the bat as well, with Super Mario Land and Link's Awakening DX being launched only days away. B-) But ya, that's just me....Earlier adopters only had the launch titles to play with and No eShop.

Anyways, the way i see it the 3DS has an insanely bright future ahead of it. the 3D technology is wonderful and opens up so many possibilites. The 10 Free Nes games, and 10 Free GBA sounds great to me, i'm not complaining. Because frankly i just don't give a damn. lol I just don't get butt hurt over things like this, and i consider the 20 free games makes up for the $269-$169 price tag. Even if I would of gotten nothing i personally wouldn't of cared either way. And as for this hilarious and ridiculous looking 2nd analog stick attatchment.....Ya, well....If that were actually designed by Nintendo themselves I'd seriously start to wonder. I'll never waste a dime on that thing and i find it hilarious how that thread keeps on building up with people writing walls of text about it.lol

Guess I'm just too darn excited for Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart 7 and the many other 3DS titles that will arive later this year and the next, including more GB VC titles and 3D Classics.

Anyways, most of these kids would benifit by exploring and getting a chance to play these 20 free games. Many of them probably have never played many of these NES or GBA titles. Who are YOU to say that every single one of them is going to scoff them off? And ressemble cheap mobile games? really? So Metroid Fusion and Wario Land 4 ressemble a cheap mobile game? Your Logic is whack, you're comparing the quality of a classic an Nes or GBA title to some weak random mobile game....Well done bud! ;)

And again, WHY is your avatar 8-bit? If you shun such pathetic dated pixelated graphics? lol

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Guys, the real treat with the Ambassador program has yet to come, which will be the 10 GBA titles. I'm sure both of you have played a GBA game in the last year or so, and they still hold up well today. When they release, all qualms with the NES titles will be long forgotten! ;)

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

GBA games hold up just as good as any SNES game that's for sure. 16 bit Sprite based graphcis usually always age well, same deal with Nes/GB games of course depending. Cheeta man or the Legend of Kage for example are two horrible NES games that have aged poorly. Then again, they were POOR from the start. :p Hell, most 8-16 bit games have aged perfectly, once you step into 3D polygon N64/PS1 territory, then you better start worrying.lol any game rocking a frame rate below 30fps for example is a start...eek!

Anyways, the last GBA game I played was Mega man Zero, and it was freakin' fantastic' B-) If anything, I'm worried about how the GBA emulations will look on the 3DS's screen...Hopefully we don't get large and blurry, or tiny and sharp. :p

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

@fpssoviet, Gee I wonder... Definitely not part of the Nintendo Life staff.

Anyway, I honestly don't think these made up for the $80. I hope the GBA games will give me a reason to pick up my 3DS again.

Zach

Zach said:

@SyFyTy If you're not seeing any criticism against Nintendo, you're not reading the whole article.

@fpssoviet Ron has reviewed dozens and dozens of games here for probably about a year. You can look him up on our about page and click his name to see what he's reviewed. He's been a valuable member of this team for some time. In fact, his House Episode 2 review is the second one on the front page banner right now!

Ren

Ren said:

I have to slightly agree with the naysayers here, unfortunately. If this is meant as a sort of debate it's not a very rounded out one, because the dissent from any fanboy love of the 8-bit classics has been swept out.
The ones crying 'hater' on us are missing the point: we, too, are 8-bit classic NES game lovers, at least I am. But as a marketing/ overall business move for Nintendo this ambassador program was also not handled well, and that is disappointing to me since I love my DS and I want it to do well.
It's true the GBA games will be great, they probably should have come first and they all should have been accessed very easily, maybe downloaded from a channel just for ambassadors. If there is a channel just for that dopey instruction video, why couldn't there be one to help easily download the games? Or some neat AR card function for ambassadors? Something to court the newer generation from bailing on this poorly marketed machine.

I'm pleased as punch with my 3DS but Nintendo needs to stop being overconfident about it to make sure it sticks around.

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

@Ren I see where you're coming from. You loved 8 bit games long enough to see most of them so you've probably already played this collection. For some this is pointless because it's old, others like it because their portable and other like them because they're still new. I don't mind a price drop because every generation has a pricedrop. They're gonna happen again. I just like that I got something in return which I have never seen happen before in any hardware that has a new rendtion.(slims, iOS devices, TVs, etc.)

@Uel & @TheDarkness here's how to play golf. choose your speed,(start with slow) angle, your club, your spin, and then get to the swing screen. As the marker moves left press A, (then it starts moving right), now hit A again after the passes your starting point. your distance from the starting point determines the power and slice or curve of the ball-if your left is on the edge of the meter and your right is just past the center, you will curve far left. The distance from the center is also your power. hopefully this helps
@TheDarkness -Wrecking Crew. the goal is to destroy all the lockers, silver ladders, and brick walls while evading the aliens or mutants. climb the ladders, break the lockers with your hammer; bombs break every thing adjacent to it in a sort of domino effect while knocking you to the bottom floor. You can't kill the aliens. If you beat a level, race the other plumber to get the coin in the brick walls. This game is a little bit more of a puzzle in later levels-finding ways to avoid enemies while breaking things in the correct order.

NeoShinobi

NeoShinobi said:

I'm really, really glad that I didn't buy a 3DS yet. These NES and GBA games are fine and all I suppose, but I personally just don't think I would be really happy with them as compensation.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

What can I say? Give fans a treat and they'll ask for three more. Some of them just can't be pleased. So I say let them live their miserable lives of wanting more and more. :P

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I love these roundtables. Great conversation this time guys. I got a few laughs out of it. :) I love the 10 free NES games. The fact some people are unhappy with them blows my mind.

WertyYertrew

WertyYertrew said:

I'm trying to get myself to like the NES games but the only game I've ended up liking is Super Mario Bros.... Because the games are free and all, I'll refrain from complaining (honestly people, this compensation is a lot more than what you'd get from other console manufacturers), but those GBA games couldn't come soon enough.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Ren and @SyFyTy - A Round Table isn't always a debate, it's a group of people talking about a subject; we won't fabricate disagreements that aren't there. If we do a deliberate debate piece in future, not a round table, then of course contrary views would be mandatory; this round table format is more open and can vary depending on who's taking part and what is being discussed. We can't help it if we agreed on most things and liked the games. As Zach also pointed out, there were criticisms of the programme delivery, and Zach also shared the view in the article that he's not sold on the 'generosity' of the programme as yet, but will see what GBA games arrive.

What you see is what was said, so no dissent was 'swept out', I'm afraid you're well off the mark there Ren. The fact we had a casual and fun chat and that, actually, most of us were genuinely positive about most parts, is just the way it was.

@fpssoviet - Ron's been integral to the site for a good length of time, follow the links that Zach has kindly provided for evidence of that.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@59

Agreed. lol
Meanwhile I'll be enjoying my 10 free NES games, and the next 10 free GBA games, the 3D Classics(Urban Champion here i come baby muhaha) the awesome 3DS titles headed this way for this year including a few i haven't even played yet like Zelda OOT 3D & StarFox 64 3D ect and of course the wonderful GB VC. Still need to check out Donkey Kong, Avenging Spirit, Mr Game & Watch Gallery and especially Gargoyles Quest B-)

Anyways, and you know...It blew my mind when somebody made a thread not even 3 weeks after the GB VC was released 'complaining' that there wasn't enough games or that that there wasn't enough 'quality' games and that the GB VC wasn't up to snuff compared to what it could of been. hahaha. People just love to complain....You're going to look back at all of those miserable memories you made for yourself, have fun with that.

as for the free 20 games....Actually, it's a little overwhelming if you ask me. :p I probably won't hardly get to most of those games considering the many other i have on the back list hehe.

Ren

Ren said:

well said, Tomas, i take your point. Poor choice of words on my part and I get the point that this is just a discussion. I really meant the tone of the comments, I guess.
I would probably also gush about the games were I in on that kind of discussion, since I do like them a lot, they were the greatest things in my life once Atari tanked and I'd killed all my joysticks.
I actually just find the debate about the direction of the console itself really interesting so I play devils advocate when I try to consider the market of younger players nowadays.
I actually love having these games untouched and portable. I wonder how they've been received by people who are new to them, though, and I'm concerned for the success of the 3DS, because I want it to last.
Weirdly, I'm finding Golf to be one of my favorites of them since I played the others to death when they came out, but golf? Once you get the controls it's pretty fun in short bursts. I've never been a sports game guy, either, at least not since these real stripped down ones of old. Now If they included 10-yard fight in there I'd never put it down.
Oh, wait, did you guys get 10-yard fight in the UK? Awesome stuff.

Difool

Difool said:

They are good games...... For 8 bits era. I played most of them in My NES (i,m almost 35 y.old) It,s a gift from Nintendo we can replay in ours 3ds. But the point is: are I satisfied with 10 nes games and 10 GBA games for the price of 100 €???
My answer Is nooo. Why nes games and not snes, N64 or gamecube games? Aren,t enought the 3ds to run starfox (or Starwing), smkart, or Ethernal Darkness????
Why BigN don,t give us 1 nintendo 3ds game for free??
Despite I said i,m enyoing the 2nd quest of Zelda I ( and considering to tatto Zelda map in my left arm)

Quousque tándem abutere, Nintendo, patineta nostra?

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

as soon as they dont slag nintendo off some people start whinging.why are you praising them etc.very strange indeed

SUBTERRANEANboy

SUBTERRANEANboy said:

nintendo never really went as far as it should have with the 10 nes games. In fact, if you were not of the NES era, these games give the impression that you werent missing much! I deleted everything except metroid and mario bros. anyone who claims that they bought a great new piece of 3d kit to play nes crud like the majority of these nes games is lying. nintendo never even bothered to tweak them or convert them to 3d! like i said, of the games metroid detroys the rest and proves beyond a doubt that nintendo themselves NEED to develop a new one SPECIFICALLY for 3ds.

jerryo

jerryo said:

so boring... thank god there was mario, ice climbers and donkey kong Jr. ok Metroid too only has the stupid password save system.. we are not on a friggin arcade machine..

the rest are absolutely too old to play! i am quite disappointed from the selection. but anyway... that's just me.

i seriously hope that some great GBA games will come out...
MINISH CAP OR DIE!

ETERNAL DARKNESS 3D!!
Now that would be a nice remake!!!! :D

P.S. OH and i laughed so hard with the "60Hz beauties" comment!

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

As cool as it is to play NES games on the go on your 3DS, it still pales in comparison to playing them 'the way the were intended' on a TV. I dinked around with Super Mario Bros last night and while the emulation looked great, it just didn't feel the same and it lacked that magic of the good old days. It just doesn't feel right playing it on a hand held. And I can't see myself being bothered playing much of the rest since i've already played and beat most of them on the NES. :p

However, I'm totaly interested in Balloon Fighter....But I'd rather get that on the Wii's VC, same deal with Wrecking crew if it's worth checking out.lol Anyways, totaly looking forward to the GBA games. now THOSE are ment to be played portable, that's what I'm talking about. B-)

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

I’ve only played half of the Ambassador games yet. So far I’d rank them: Yoshi > Ballon Fight and Donkey Kong Jr. > Ice Climber > Wrecking Crew. Yoshi's Game B could really benefit from Restore Points since it can take stupidly long to complete these boring stages up to level 10. I will definitely pick this game up again when the updated version releases.
Wrecking Crew is quite frustrating at times and maybe could profit from mid-stage Restore Points. So far i’ve reached stage 30 and am not really getting the game or feeling much reward by completing a level.
If I find a second player I’ll try the games in 2 player mode when they’ll be made available. Even if it’s quite different from playing with another player on the console.
I think all of these are good portable titles and Open Tournament Golf will most likely be too when I’m starting it after I’ve beaten Wrecking Crew. IF I’ll be able to do that.
While Wrecking Crew, Mario, Zelda and Metroid are the titles that hold up well on the home console too imo.
I’ve had no problem with the way the games have to be downloaded and also think the D-Pad is a bit stiff. But it still controls alright so far. Will be interesting to see how it holds up in Metroid Fusion.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

The D-Pad on the 3DS is awful IMHO. The original DS one was good, the DS Lite one was great...why didn't they just keep it like that? The DSi one was uncomfortable but the 3DS one feels horrible and stiff. It makes Super Street Fighter 4 a lot less fun to play than it should be because I don't think the Circle Pad is much better for that game either.

When the next version of the 3DS comes out with the second analogue stick built in (which of course will happen at some point), they'd better go back to the old DS Lite D-Pad style and not make the damn thing even worse than it is now :(