3DS Mario Titles Land in November and December

Posted by James Newton

Official titles revealed

Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 will launch in November and December this year respectively, Nintendo has announced.

The company made the decree in the same statement that outlined the new 3DS price drop and Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games

We played Super Mario 3D Land recently, and it's shaping up rather well.

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Related Games

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Strange titles, but I kinda like them. I was hoping they'd release a bit earlier than that, but it should provide good sales for Nintendo since many people shop late.

James

James said:

Personally I like that Nintendo's bringing back the Land suffix, but I'd also be very surprised if Mario Kart 7 was the final title.

47drift

47drift said:

It has 3D in the title, eh? Heh. Kind of a let down.

Though I suppose 64 did it.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Mario Kart 7 is a curious choice of title, but I'd prefer that over "Mario Kart 3D" anyday.

Neram

Neram said:

Super Mario 3D Land sounds great! Mario Kart 7.. maybe its still tentative?

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm a bit like J, I see them coming up with something else for Mario Kart 7. That one just seems a bit too generic.

MadScientistMan

MadScientistMan said:

Mario Kart 7? It sounded beter as Mario Kart 3D, I mean mario kart wii is named after the consle, why has Nintendo named it with numbers all of a sudden, it's like Microsoft with Windows!

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Super Mario 3D Land doesn't roll off the tongue very well IMO. I hope they'll consider changing it.

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

Super Mario 3D Land title is ok, but they should have named Mario Kart as Mario Kart 3D.

Anyway, great news.

Zach

Zach said:

I'm all for Mario Kart 7 as long as they put it in roman numerals.

skywake

skywake said:

I would've thought they'd go with Mario Kart 3DS given Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii. Not that it matters, who buys games for the titles?

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

With all the bewildering news this morning, I'm wondering... Is April 1st here about 8 months early? Or am I drunk? I can't digest this all... Oh Daisy...

NiBar

NiBar said:

Super, it' about time we had a number, Mario Party does it all the time. So, this is Mario Kart number 7. Nintendo just wants us to remember the 6 previous and what fantastic games they were..why not also give Super Mario a number?

Blaze

Blaze said:

Super Mario 3D Land? Should have just kept it as Super Mario, and Mario Kart 7???

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'm surprised at the release dates, I was expecting it to be the other way around with Mario kart 7 in November and Super Mario 3D land in December. Super Mario 3D land is a strange title but its an okay one but I don't get why they would call the new Mario kart, Mario kart 7 when they've never used numbers for that series before, I think Mario kart 3D would make much more sense.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I like Mario 3D Land, but agree with almost everyone else that Mario Kart 7 is lame. Mario Kart 3D is a much better title.

Also wish that Mario 3D Land were an actual new game in the Mario Land series, with Tatanga, the Egyptian and Easter Island-themed levels, Princess Daisy and all that. Hopefully at least some of the things that make the original SML such a unique Mario game at least get referenced in this new title.

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

I'm fond of the titles... Mario Kart 7 especially - that would look great in the font they showed.
EDIT: I just read the rest of the comments, and WHY DOES NEARLY EVERYONE HATE MARIO KART 7? WHAT'S WRONG WITH A LITTLE VARIATION, PEOPLE? Now, they definitely shouldn't do it again, because this is one of the things that distinguishes the game from others - each one is supposed to have something different about it. I'm hoping for no bikes, ever again. But airplanes and/or hovercrafts like Rare did would be AWESOME!
And yes, it could be infinitely better if they were Roman numerals.
and mario kart 3d is a terrible title. period.

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

Wait. Super Mario 3D Land? What's with the weird word ordering there? You'd think it would be "Super Mario Land 3D", which sounds miles better.

I'm not so fussed about "Mario Kart 7", that series has always had terrible names, and the number isn't so bad anyway.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Well, Mario Kart 7 is certainly unique. Is it really the seventh game? I would've prefered Mario Kart 3DS, but I guess they thought that title would've been too generic.

Super Mario 3D Land sounds nice. The game looks more like Super Mario Bros. 3 instead of Super Mario Land and Bowser's in it and not Tatanga, but the title still makes it sound a little catchy. They might have thought that since Super Mario Land was a portable game, it would make somewhat sense to put the word, "Land" in the title.

pntjr

pntjr said:

Super Mario 3D Land just doesn't sound right. Maybe Super Mario Land 3D, but not SM3DL

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Well, i guess they're worried that people think these games are just remakes if they'd call 'em Super Mario Land 3D(S) and Mario Kart 3D(S).
I don't like the names very much but will get used to it and it won't affect my enjoyment of the games anyway. :)

timp29

timp29 said:

I can't help but feel some of nintendo's flagship titles need to be reinvented. I just don't get as excited about new mario karts and new marios like I used to. Skyward sword on the other hand has me sitting up and taking notice!

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

"Super Mario 3D Land" is gonna be a hard one to remember.

And why didn't they call Mario Kart 7 Mario Kart 3D?

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

No! No way I can stand for this! It's just 'Super Mario'. NintendoLife, why do you have to ruin good titles? 'Super Mario' is all there is. So is 'Mario Kart'. Stop ruining titles with the tenative need to put land or world or, for that matter, numbers! Just leave it at Super Mario or Super Mario 3D and Mario Kart or Mario Kart 3D!

motang

motang said:

I am still on the fence on this game, been too many Mario games these past few years.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

not sure when i get the games if ill perusing over how the titles sound or are pronounced maybe i will just have fun playing them instead yea thats what ill do

Infernapeking

Infernapeking said:

Name is just a name. Same for Wii and Wii U. Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 is the seventh Mario Kart game. It's the game that matter not name.

Samholy

Samholy said:

i like mario kart 7.

whats up with nintendo and trademark of naming almsot every title with the console subname.
remember the super nes ? Super was everywhere.
nintedo 64 ? 64 everywhere
gamecube? cube every... wait. no.
advance? advance everywhere.
now they seem to do the same thing with 3D everywhere....
i guess we will see U for every titles soon enough.
idont mind it, its rather funny...but still...

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Super Mario 3D Land could be a better name, but i'm alright with Mario Kart 7.

ArmoredGoomba

ArmoredGoomba said:

They already released Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii...I wouldn't be upset if they just called it Mario Kart 3DS

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Great time to start numbering your Mario Kart titles, Nintendo.

Also, I think Super Mario Land 3D sounds better.

pikku

pikku said:

Super Mario 3D Land doesn't really roll off the tongue quite as easily as Super Mario Land 3D would've, but they have to save that name for the 3D re-release of Super Mario Land, people. Duh.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

One nice thing about it being a Mario Land title: I imagine they'll release Super Mario Land 2 & 3 on VC to commemorate it's release (like with Link's Awakening on VC before OoT 3D came out). Maybe we'll get Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters soon as well! (:

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Super Mario 3D Land sounds cool. I like Mario Kart 7 because It's different, I like that. Glad they are shaping up well.

dimi

dimi said:

Nintendo DS had new ip like Nintendogs and Brain Training that took advantage of the DS prime power, the controls. For people that own like 4-5 or more versions of Mario games is Kid Icarus re-boot enough? I think not. 3ds need some decent RPG's

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

EU release dates around the same I take it?

Don't give a mokies about the names, insta-buys (MK 7 and Super Mario 3D Land)...... i need a revw for Star Fox 64 3DS

GTWarrior77

GTWarrior77 said:

Mario Kart 3DS makes more sense to me. Since there is usually only 1 Mario Kart per console generation I think it is totally acceptable. Attaching the title to the console name also makes it easier to differentiate between different versions of the game.

In regard to Super Mario 3d Land, it just doesn't sound right to me.

But Nintendo, if you release 2 great games here, I might just forget about the funny sounding titles.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@53 Kid Icarus is basically a new IP, gameplay-wise. As for Mario Kart, I've never played a handheld MK before, plus I really want an online MK Battle Mode that doesn't suck.

moosa

moosa said:

I don't really care what they call them. Nintendo is bringing out the big guns for the 3DS though. Will the huge price drop and all of these top-quality games Nintendo is pushing out, I sure hope they get the sales they rightly deserve.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Sweet, guess there's room for a SM3D World eventually then :)

MK7... really? Can we get a "GT", "3D", etc.? Well, like someone says, who buys a game just for title alone if the game makes up for it. I'm grabbing both regardless.

DavynD

DavynD said:

Super Mario Land 3D would sound way less awkward.
Mario Kart 7 is interesting and completely unexpected.

Jahir

Jahir said:

This is great, along with the 20 games they will give us for free. I guess I'll be pretty busy these next months :P

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@MeloMan
That's true, forgot that it's not considered a true sequel even by Nintendo. Wonder how they'd dance around that if they ever have another World game? Just not number it? Also have to wonder (though it may sound strange) if the whole Super Mario World numbering issue has anything to do with why it's never been released on Wii VC!

One thing about Nintendo going back and making use of the Super Mario Land title after all these years is it gives new hope to them also reviving the Super Mario World name (and Land originates longer ago than World)!

fishman100

fishman100 said:

Mario Kart 7 sounds kinda awkward to me since none of the other Mario Kart titles have a numerical suffix...

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

I actually think Mario Kart 7 sounds pretty awesome! Its just like Windows 7, which is probably exactly why they used it. :D

As for Super Mario 3D Land... Now THAT's a mouthful. O.o

Javin

Javin said:

aww!!! I don't want to wait that long for Super Mario 3D!!!! its gonna be a awesome video game, though!!!! and Mario Kart 7!

Henmii

Henmii said:

Mariokart 7 is the official title, yet it's hard to believe. It just sounds weird to me!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Interesting that everyone likes just one of the names. Personally the one I don't like is Super Mario 3D Land. As Nintenzo mentions, it sounds like the name of an amusement park.

About Mario Kart, I prefer the generic number than the generic "insert console name here". Anyway, these are my two 3DS purchases for 2011. Kid Icarus and Star Fox still in the air for me.

supersayinluigi

supersayinluigi said:

for some reason I dont feel like getting super mario becuase it is the same 25 year old story peach gets kidnapped by bowser mario beats bowser saves the princess horay. at least make a diffrent story like bowser builds a genarator to absorb energy and make him powerful so he rules the mushroom kingdom and over runs the princess. that could work if they change the story line I will buy it but now it is on the line of pass but for mario kart monster karts that can glide and is water proof boy I am in there like water in a lake!

Sh00kst3r

Sh00kst3r said:

@sypersayinluigi
New powerups and levels.
No storyline needed, INSTANT FAN FAVORITE.

And as for the titles...

"Hey, what're you playing?"
"Super Mario Land."
Or,
"Mario Kart."

They see you with a 3DS, YOU'D THINK they'd know it's 3D.

supersayinluigi

supersayinluigi said:

shOOkst3r New powerups and levels.
No storyline needed, INSTANT FAN FAVORITE.

WHAT!..............................................