Ocarina of Time 3D Advert Features Zelda and Her Father

Posted by Trevor Chan

Might not be what you were expecting

As if gamers needed more incentive to make a purchase of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D than our The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D review, perhaps an advert featuring an actress of the same name might help.

Let's start off with a bit of trivia: actor Robin Williams named his daughter ― who is also in the acting business ― Zelda because he's such a big (and obviously dedicated) fan of the Zelda games. So in celebrating the love of the franchise and the upcoming release of the 3DS remake, Nintendo has collaborated with the pair to bring you this slightly cheesy, yet totally forgiveable advert.

If this doesn't convince gamers who are on the fence, what will?

[via youtube.com]

Blaze

Blaze said:

Huh? Is this a second Zelda advert, cuz in the UK we already have an Ocarina Of Time advert, and i perfer the one they have on now not..... this thing.

Edit - Oh yeah can't wait for Friday! My pre-order bundle is on it's way!!! ;-)

Link79

Link79 said:

Whoa! Robin Williams? Cool!
I heard that story about his daughter being named after Zelda but this is awesome!
I wonder If he's played Ocarina of time before? He is supposed to be a pretty big Zelda fan after all.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

You watch and and you just know that Robin's been using that "think you're both magical" line throughout her entire life, much to her continued irritation.

Tails

Tails said:

North America should have had this as our advertisement as well. Long live Robin Williams A true Zelda Fan.

timp29

timp29 said:

Wow, that guy named his daughter Zelda??!? Just goes to show he is 90% hilarious, 10% crazy.

Gotta respect that beard though. RESPECT

Link79

Link79 said:

Here they are talking about the game and the origins of his daughter's name.

Pretty neat that Nintendo got him involved in this!

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

Robin Williams!? Wow! I never knew he's a fan of the Legend of Zelda series! Awesome! I did not expect this at all. He is one of my top most favorite actors of all time.

Sucks that this commercial is for Europe only.:(

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Wow, I had no idea he had a daughter named Zelda after the Zelda games! Ahahahaha!

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Pretty sweet, I never guessed Nintendo would use this kind of advertisement style! :)

Henmii

Henmii said:

I am not really a Robin Williams fan, but at least he has taste! But what's with the big beard! Is that for a new role?

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

That beard. That beard!
He looks freakin' awesome with that beard!
I may not like most of his movies, but that beard!
I don't want to tick him off now that he has that beard!
That beard!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I thinl it's Lovely Robin is working with his daughter, Can I just say, he has a beard at the moment because of a part he's been playing a tiger in a broadway (New York) show and without saying what it's called- it's excellent! I hope we get the same advert in the UK, Please Nintendo and you never know I might buy a copy of the game.....

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

My middle name is Luigi, but although I was born later in the same year Super Mario Bros. was released in the UK (1987), I don't think the choice was Nintendo related...

...but the reason for me keeping it when I made some changes to my name by deed poll recently definitely WAS Nintendo related! It's-a-me!

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

That's a nice Grizzly Adams look Robin's got going on...

If I ever have a daughter, I'm naming her Samus...

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

Hey wow Link79 fantastic find.

Robin Williams had some pretty big balls naming his kid after a gaming staple, especially so early in the history of things. Zelda at least is a 'human' name so perhaps not totally out there as some things would be. I've known of this little bit of trivia since I think around the time the original Ocarina popped up or earlier from some gaming publication (may have been an early NP mag) and always thought it was dedicated and cute. I'm surprised Nintendo never got into the act with it especially when his career was running a lot higher on the ladder as it's a fantastic spot (and I don't much like commercials.)

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

He looks like just about the kindest sage-grandpa-santa-wizard-mountainman I've ever seen.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I think Robin would be perfect for a "Legend of Zelda" movie. He could be the king and the daughter- obviously, Zelda :P

Just, don't base it off the CD-I games... Though, it would be funny if there was a reference

"I wonder what's for dinner?"

melvin2898

melvin2898 said:

What kind of idiot names his daughter Zelda? To love a video game that much...what a fool.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

As soon as I saw the picture, I knew that was Robin Willaims. And since I loved his role as the Genie in Aladdin among other roles, I didn't even know he was a Zelda fan, much less named his daughter after her!

moosa

moosa said:

Groan LOL.
@19 This should have happened.
@42 "Princess Zelda" is not the only person to have ever been named Zelda. It's not like Turok.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

My fiancee didn't like my idea of the name "Bomberman" for a child, but after I show her this video she can't possibly disagree!

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

LOL amazing stuff. Who would of thought Robbin Williams was a fan of Zelda, let alone videogames. Everytime I think of Robin, i think of HOOK. B-)

Funny enough, this has inspired me to want to play OOT 3DS even more. :D

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

@48: Your fiance is right "Bomberman" sucks. Zelda is a real name also, it was not made up for the video game.

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Good advert. I've been a big fan of Williams since Mork and his cocaine-fueled days (if you think the man's hyper and out there now ...), so this is personally extra-cool to me.
And seriously, EPIC BEARD FTW!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Oh so Zelda Williams is Robin Williams's daughter... good to know... guess I was the only one in the dark on that one...

madgear

madgear said:

Even though the games are more famous and I barely ever saw the show, the name Zelda always reminds me of that evil old witch robot thing from Terrahawks before the princess from the game.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This is probably one of the best commercials I've seen in a long time. I mean who would've known Nintendo would have a celebrity in their commercial, and Robin Williaims at that! He's also grown an awesome beard too.

wiiuhellyeah

wiiuhellyeah said:

NEVER TRUST A MAN WITH A BEARD unless its robin Williams his come along way since mork and mindy 99% of you will have no idea what mork and mindy is

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

@melvin: Actually, Zelda is a real name. I remember a feature in Nintendo Power about a couple naming their kid Ganondorf. No joke. He even had the hairdo!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Actually if my wife and I have children one day, I wanted to call a son Robin as i think R.W is a legend.....