3DS System Update 8.0.0-18 is Now Live

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Hold onto your hats, things just got seriously stable

On 7th July the eShop stores were down — worldwide — for around five hours for maintenance, and though plenty of work was undoubtedly done the only notable change from a gamer's perspective was that the music seemed to change. We're not going to lie, it was underwhelming.

Fear not though, Nintendo gamers! There's a juicy new 3DS update to enjoy. Version 8.0.0-18 is live around the world — add a U or E at the end if you're in North America or Europe — to make that portable of yours super stable. Nintendo's official changelog pulls no punches, as you can see below.

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

It's a surprisingly one-note update as it's actually a step up to a whole new version iteration, taking us to 8.0. That aside, we should also remember that these stability updates do help Nintendo to keep its systems secure, a topic brought home with the recent footage of a hacked Wii U running on the home console's older firmware; Nintendo's security updates do clearly work and, we're sure, actually make things nice and stable.

Enjoy that stability, everyone.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

And still no alarm. I really don't get why they dropped that function. I use my original DS and DSi as alarms all the time, and yet the 3DS, being permanently charging on standby in its cradle, doesn't have an alarm clock function? Really stupid decision by Nintendo.

JeffreyG

JeffreyG said:

I still hope they'll change the home menu to make organising the icons more Iike the DSi, where you could place icons in between others instead of replacing them. That worked just so much better than the current system.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

@Frapp Get the Mario Clock? Though I'm with you, that feature should be free. Even if not as good-looking as the Mario Clock.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@Frapp @JeffreyG And give us the option of changing folder colours. There are many simple features Nintendo continues to omit from the 3DS, rather bafflingly.

Beta

Beta said:

Wait, that's suspicious... Nintendo doesn't jump from the main numbers (Just like how it jumped from 7 to 8 now) unless there's something. Are we in for a surprise this week?

Dodger

Dodger said:

@JuanitoShet Unfortunately, keeping a dsiware app open on the 3DS still is a lame option, since it keeps it from getting streetpasses or spotpasses. It would be a lot nicer to have a 3DS alarm. I used to use Photo Clock, because it came with a bundle I got along with two of the BrainAge DSiware games, but it wouldn't let me transfer them to my 3DS.

It sure is weird to jump a whole number for a stability update.

gurtifus

gurtifus said:

How about more games could use Streetpass at the same time ?
12 is not enough !!!

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

I'm betting this isn't just a glorified bug fix, but a preparation of a newer framework designed to make 3DS games work better.

They may still be in the early phases of testing that, and it might include something like support for an amiibo peripheral. It's still just speculation, after all.

Or they just wanted the thing to be as hyped as possible. I've never had my 3DS crash on me. A freeze or two, sure, but no heart stopping crashes.

Sionyn

Sionyn said:

version string file was updated (shows the system software version)
nzone hotspot list was updated
eShop mint applet(used for accessing eShop outside of the eShop application)
All non-SAFE_MODE system modules were updated.

system error applet was updated (shows the error has occurred screen)
this is were it gets interesting this breaks booting 8.0.0-18 on physical on or below 4.x systems where the key-data for the v7.0 crypto wasn't initialized correctly. This means it breaks getways 3ds flash card thing so it can't spoofing firmware 8.x or above until they find a work around.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

My 3DS shaves every morning and has started investing it's money. So stable.

AugustusOxy

AugustusOxy said:

The updates are almost always to fight piracy. Nothing any more interesting than that.

Just take away the region lock and you'll fix a good portion of the pirating.

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

Just stabilizing stability...

I hope that there'll be a awesome update this summer, with both minor things like what @Frapp @C-Olimar and @JeffreyG stated, and with some BIG things like a way to communicate on the 3DS with friends. C'mon Nintendo, you gave us Wii U chat on the Wii U, but all you give us on 3DS is MIIVERSE. (which removed PRIVATE messages). I would love a simple text system without pictures or anything (safe for the kiddies) just so I can send a message to friends who are online, playing something else so I can let them know I'm online and that I wanna play THIS game with them, online.

Gold

Gold said:

My stability is ready. much stability
As soon as I saw 'new eShop music' I grabbed my 3DS super fast. I love the Wii U eShop music, so lets see what Nintendo can do to the 3DS eShop.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I'm so glad the 3DS (so far) hasn't been hacked, the same way the DS was with R4 cards. Yes, I'll admit I played a few games on R4 on the DS, but I've bought every single 3DS game. I thought the 3DS was stable enough, it's my Wii U that needs more stability improvements. I just stopped getting lockups with Ver. 5.0.0, but LEGO Hobbit crashed (don't know if it's just the game or the system).

AVahne

AVahne said:

Give us the option to at least use a wallpaper image already. My 3DS is screaming that it wishes to have personality like my PSPs, Vita, Zodiac, NGage QD, CAANOO, Xperia Play, etc.

skjia

skjia said:

Going up from 8.0 makes me think there's more than stability involved. Surprise Nintendo Direct soon maybe perhaps?

Would love it if 3DS VC finally had button mapping. And, like everyone else said folders, UI overhaul, cross-buy, jet pack, etc.

Iggly

Iggly said:

You know the stability is very serious if it has the power to instantly jump to an 8.0.0 version.

Tiberius29

Tiberius29 said:

My black 3DS and my blue 3DSXL have a screen pop up and say error... Yup, more like UNstable right now.

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

I wish Nintendo would do something about that awful NNID sign-in screen when accessing the eShop. And to integrate the stock Friends List into Miiverse since the former has been rendered completely useless when Nintendo decided to ax Swapnote.

ChrisT99

ChrisT99 said:

When I try to do the update, it gives me an error: "An error has occurred. Unable to update."

How do I solve this?

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

@tj3dsXL
As Dodger stated, the Mario clock is a DSi app so it temporarily disables spotpass and streetpass. Personally, it's also too busy for me – I just want a simple time display. It's not much too ask – it used to, and should, be built-in.
@Ralek85
Like its owner! It does the job, though, and has a great battery life. I've got an iPad, so don't really see the need for a smartphone and I certainly cannot afford a contract at the moment.

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

@Frapp Nah it's just even my very first Nokia which basically did calls, sms and snakes had a alarm clock if I remember correctly ^^

Inkling

Inkling said:

Before it was as stable as a robot being knocked over in Project Giant Robot :)

AugustusOxy

AugustusOxy said:

@Unca_Lz

Man you sure are smart.

Fun fact, DSi was region locked, as well as later versions of the dslite.

Nice try at being condescending, the reality is; I never said it would fix the problem completely-- it'd help alleviate some of the piracy and some is better than none.

But you decided to be so witty that you saw past any point i might have in some hopes that you could make a clever, funny remark.

Which failed. Nice try.

SuperMikey

SuperMikey said:

Umm... the music is the same in my eshop... Am i missing something here? (Yes, I updated it last night).

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Wish list:
1) Cross-buy for Virtual Console titles. Make it so.
2) Folder color options for 3DS menu, perhaps even cute little Nintendo icons to choose from. I've been able to assign icons to folders on my home computer since 1995.
3) Buy the Wii U Main Menu a drink and drop in conversation, "Boy, having item folders sure is a handy thing. ESPECIALLY if you're running out of menu pages."

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

@Ralek85 My trusty Motorola does have an alarm function. However, it's so impotent it wouldn't be heard in the library of a Trappist monastery.

Gonzo1

Gonzo1 said:

Ok I'm now updating, but it seems to only work on an unsecured network.
So try disabling your security settings on your router and it should then start updating.

Edit: oh bugger, after a quarter had downloaded im greeted with an Error again :(

Pod

Pod said:

That's Nintendo's way of saying "Discovered some security holes and patched them up. Up yours, pirates."

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

Update error when trying to update via system settings and an error while trying to go into the eshop, Nintendo must be having network problems.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Well turns out after I disconnect most of my other devices (Wii U, PS3, Ouya, DS, PSP, Samsung Galaxy) from being online, the update finally completed. The stability is great.

Jstar269

Jstar269 said:

Yikes, looks like those 5 hours were not enough. eShop is down for me, but both 3DSs I used updated fine. What kind of music is on the eShop now?

Cosmic-Loop

Cosmic-Loop said:

Oh, FINALLY it's back up again. Maybe since about an hour ago. But great, it's like 2 AM here. :P Ugh, I wanted to get Tomodachi Life sometime today (or yesterday now, hehe) so I'm not stuck in the demo, but now my dad is asleep and I can't get it. Gotta wait till tomorrow I guess, lol... :U

Gonzo1

Gonzo1 said:

Now I'm confused, I gave up trying last night so just tried to update this morning and it said it was already up to date.
Had a look and it's updated all by itself.
I didn't think it could do that while it's off.?