Sonic Boom Titles Given New Names and Gameplay Details

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Will be on show at E3

With E3 around the corner, Sega has confirmed that demo builds of its Sonic Boom titles will be playable at the event, and has revealed their final titles — we'll have Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric on Wii U and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal on 3DS. Each title will have a separate storyline and wildly different play style.

To start with the Wii U version, screens and a fact sheet from Sega highlight how this will be a title that, despite some speed stages, will be focused mostly on action adventure and team play. Lyric is the "deadly snake-like ancient villain" that you're taking on, and levels will make much of exploration and the 'Enerbeam', which is used for swinging around, engaging with the environment and fighting enemies. There'll be four playable characters with different abilities — newcomer Sticks doesn't seem to be playable in this one — throughout the main story mode, though it'll only support two player local action, which is drop-in drop-out. Four players can play locally in a special Team Challenges mode.

The 3DS entry is single player-only, and is pitched as an action platformer, which basically seems to mean a continuation of the style seen in previous portable Sonic titles. In this one's standalone story Lyric has kidnapped team member Amy, so this is where new character Sticks will emerge. There'll be boss battles, rival races and special stages beyond the story, collectibles in-game and via StreetPass, and some of these items can be transferred to the Wii U version via local wireless — this is similar to Sonic Lost World, it seems.

In the standard PR pitch Hiroyuki Miyazaki, Chief Content Officer for the Sonic Brand at SEGA of America, says the following:

This is a new Sonic, with gameplay built on action-adventure and collaborative play. They are unlike any previous games featuring the iconic blue blur. We are looking forward to our first hands-on showcase at E3 for fans old and new alike to experience the exploration, combat and new moves for the entire team.

Some interesting details, certainly, though whether the familiar style of the 3DS game and the slower adventure tempo on Wii U will hit expectations is up for debate. We'll aim to get time with both demos at E3.

Are you excited about Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal, or worried? Let us know.

Related Games

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

Wait, where GameXplain not allow to show them?
Awesome. I got to watch them before they were removed. Looked pretty good. Didn't get to listen with sound though as I'm "revising" ;)

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm excited! My favourite Sonic game is Sonic Unleashed on PS3, I loved both the day & night stages in that game. I hope the action / brawling parts of Sonic Boom are as easy & fun to control as the Werehog is. November in NA? I hope we get them in November here in Australia too. Can't wait to find out more at E3!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The Wii U one reminds me of the type of Playstation game I really don't like. The 3DS one does look great though.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

"Rise of _____"? "Shattered Crystal"? Pretty sure I already came up with those subtitles when I was six.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Can we get some non-Sonic games over here Sega?
Preferably GOOD games like PSO2?

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

It looks like GameXplain has just re-uploaded the Wii U version's insight video, guys! I guess it can be put back up on this page...?
UPDATE: I just noticed that the re-uploaded version of the video no longer has gameplay footage, just screenshots. It's close enough, I guess.

AugustusOxy

AugustusOxy said:

Ugh... exploration in a sonic game.

Not a good combination.

But I'm still excited for this. Just as long as its not a slow-butt-plug like lost world.

outburst

outburst said:

I didn't like what I saw overall. Although there is some gameplay where I did like, it didn't feel like a Sonic game on that particular gameplay.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

I watched the leaked video and to be honest, it reminds me of Sonic Unleashed. Multiple Melee attacks on enemies and a slower paced game for the most part. Yay.

hydeks

hydeks said:

hits head on desk omg would someone please take Sonic away from Sega before they ruin him more. Everything about this game screams that its gonna be worse then the Sonic Story Book series :-P I dont have as much love for Nintendo as I once did before, but I think only Nintendo could save this once awesome series.

Randomname19

Randomname19 said:

The Wii U version feels too much like Sonic Unleashed.Most of the levels are based on slow exploration and combat,even the enerbeam works in a similar way to the werehog's stretchy arms.

dumedum

dumedum said:

I don't have interest myself but I love it that it's a Nintendo exclusive at E3. Go Sonic Boom!

OneBagTravel

OneBagTravel said:

When will Team Sonic learn that there's no reason to have stories associated with Sonic games. Blarg.

Alucard83

Alucard83 said:

I hated Sonic Heroes. Just wasn't like Sonic Adventure. IN this video all i see is Sonic Heroes in a new skin. I don't want to play with all characters @ gameplay through. Make a story of each character please just like in Adventure. For that reason alone I will not get it.

mamp

mamp said:

Sonic has gotten to the point where I have to wait for reviewers to tell me the game is good before I can give it a go. So much money wasted on Sonic games that let me down.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

To those who think this is being developed by Sonic Team: SONIC TEAM IS NOT MAKING THIS IT IS BIG RED BUTTON! NOT SONIC TEAM! Sonic Team is working on the next gen Sonic game for next year which will be multi platform. Hopefully it uses the hedgehog engine.

LightSuitGuy

LightSuitGuy said:

I'm very excited for Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.

Even though "Lyric" doesn't sound the least bit intimidating for a villain name, we have good ol' Dr. Eggman to shoot down that argument. ;)

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@OneBagTravel This isn't Sonic Team. And there is nothing wrong with trying to have a legit story rather than the simple "save the ____" that Mario games usually have.

@hydeks Give it time. Its by the guys who did Crash, Jak and Uncharted 1.

@AugustusOxy Didn't the adventure games have exploration?

@unrandomsam which one?

Nintendo_Ninja

Nintendo_Ninja said:

We'll see if I get this or not. I didn't hate sonic colors, and I didn't try lost worlds. So maybe I'll get it.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Didnt watch the video but my initial reaction to this way back when was R&C:A41. Now it really seems like it, only 2 players at a time instead of 4. Wii U version, 3DS sounds like Sonic.

If they are going to make it 2 players at a time might a well go all out and make NFC toys. I'm sure the tv show will have toys.

Sonic Adventure is my 1st and still favorite Sonic game so I had high hopes for this but they are dimming. Could still turn out to be a good game for my kids though this holiday, I don't think they are interested in Lego Batman 3.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

According to GameXplain, Shattered Crystal apparently has a Metroidvania style gameplay. Sanzaru, you have my attention.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Man, I thought maybe the 3DS version would give us back the sense of speed, but nope! Looks like Sonic is slowing down, and, outside of Lost World, I can't understand why.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

@dereq Sounds like her kid is making the rounds, though it might be interesting for Sonic and friends to do something a little darker than usual.

Never imagined fighting with children was part of the plan, but I'll wait for a review. :p

DanteSolablood

DanteSolablood said:

Wait, Amy is kidnapped in the 3DS version? How original, "I'm sorry Sonic, your girlfriend is in another eggpod".

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

It's not like those older Sonic games (adventure and the likes)? Good. I hate "classic/real Sonic games".
I'm really interested to see how Boom (on Wii U) turns out. I didn't see GameXPlain's discussion, game play videos or screenshots yet, but the stuff, I heard about sounds good imo. I'll always take a good action adventure game like this over any other Sonic game.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

"despite some speed stages, will be focused mostly on action adventure and team play"

Gosh dang it Sega, people will complain that Sonic's not always going fast enough all the time, and that it's only some of the time.........It's no use!!! D :

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

I'm a big fan of Sonic, so it was a little weird for me to see and hear some of these differences, but if it's a good game then that's all that matters. As long as they make the story interesting with some nice gameplay then I'm all for it. I just hope the 3ds version doesn't get the short end of the stick this time.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I have no problems with the complete change of pace on the Wii U version i very like it and personality like Spiderman games is great. This is just a spin off project so no one should be upset