Shovel Knight Launches in North America on Wii U and 3DS eShops on 26th June

Posted by Liam Doolan

Yacht Club Games also attending E3

Dust off your spade and get ready for action because Yacht Club Games has just announced that Shovel Knight will be released in North America on both the Wii U and 3DS eShops on the 26th of this month.

If Shovel Knight hasn’t already piqued your interest, it’s an 8-Bit inspired adventure game that’s been through quite the development journey – hitting a few “snags along the way” according to the team. Thanks to backers who have been supporting the project since its inception though, it looks like the game will make it through the strenuous Kickstarter process in one piece.

Alongside this release date is a brief update on the European localisation and rating, explaining; it’s still on the way, with hope there’ll be some more good news to share soon. Apart from this, the developer also revealed it would be in attendance at this year’s E3, with “3DS systems in hand.”

The folks at Yacht Club will be wandering about the Nintendo side of the show floor seeking out soon-to-be Shovel Knight players. So if you are one of the lucky people attending this year’s E3, be sure to wave them down – maybe even with a spade of sorts! They’ll also reportedly be revealing a few other things about Shovel Knight next week, so keep an eye out for that.

Thanks to Ryan Miller for the tip!

[via kickstarter.com]

Related Games

smikey

smikey said:

Yet another e-shop game i've been looking forward to for a while but since I live in the uk I guess we'll have to wait some more

Action51

Action51 said:

Since April, the Wii U E-shop has really picked up steam...and it's about time we got some awesome new indies.

I picked up Swords and Soldiers and 1001 spikes...love them both, can't wait for Mr. Driller 2 and Shovel Knight!

Kirk

Kirk said:

This game looks like it's going to be a big hit and deservedly so based on every single thing I've seen and read about it thus far.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

I will get the PC version the 26th, and I'll download the Wii U version when it comes available here (in the Netherlands).

Jayvir

Jayvir said:

Yacht Club Games has been waiting for a while for this to finally be accepted. Glad to see it's finally going to come out!

King47

King47 said:

Finally. I thought they were crossing the announcement for e3. I'm excited for this game.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

We have all been taught a very valuable life lesson about the virtues of patience, here. Thank you, Yacht Club.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Regardless of whether Nintendo has a great E3 or not, I'll be happy because SHOVEL KNIGHT IS COMING!!!

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Still can't decide what version to get... Too many other great games to get both, so I'll wait on reviews to see how each version turns out.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Finally!!! Now, since I pledged to this game, I need to figure out what I'll be getting since I believe it's changed so much.

Gold

Gold said:

Wooo! Already knew this thru Neogaf last night, but pls PLS don't get delayed, again, again, again.

netroz

netroz said:

I'm not good at hard platforms and tend to loose my temper quite easily..
I'll wait for the review, and if it suits then 3DS

SLiM

SLiM said:

I want this game simply because it is a knight armed with a shovel.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Well it's about time. Now which version I'll get will belong to the reviews. Do I need this on the go as well. Plus those Streetpass features might swing me over as I don't see this being all that much better to look at on the U over the 3ds. Still reviews will swing me one way or another.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Congrats to all the people who have been waiting a long time for this.

Any cross-play or cross-save or cross-buy with these? The 3DS has sold about 48mil and the Wii U about 7mil and it would be nice for Nintendo for any little bit of marketing the Wii U could get to those additional 40mil 3DS owners.

SSB seems like 2 completely different games releasing very far apart - may hurt or help, only time will tell - so kudos to Yacht Club for having a simultaneous release.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@DakotaM47 They said they wouldn't again announce a date till it was solid so you need not worry. Besides this is the first time we actually got a date as opposed to end of or beginning of a month.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

If this is good, and it seems it will be, I will be getting this on Wii U. We are on the last six months of the DDP, I wish that was permanent.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Yes! I shall finally be able to download this onto my Wuu. Now, we just need a solid release date for Teslagrad and Nihilumbra, and my Wii U eShop cravings should subside for a while.

Still need to download Nano Assault Neo, too, come to think of it.

zeldagaymer93

zeldagaymer93 said:

They have set many release windows and dates before so I'm not going to believe it until I can actually download it! I don't mind when it takes awhile for a game to be developed but you can't set a date then a week before say "Never mind!"

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Like Megaman meets Ducktales and the cinematics are quite wonderful. Played two levels as a precursor to a full review and can confidently say: this is better than Ducktales and the best 8-bit throwback since MM9.

User1988

User1988 said:

So excited! I think I'll get it on Wii U, even though I know I'd play it more on my 3DS. I just want to support games on my Wii U so that more will come!

Vriess

Vriess said:

So the in-game text still has to be translated in French, German, Spanish and Italian? WTH! Why don't they do that during development!

maceng

maceng said:

Kids, wife forgive me. I'm going to buy this game on the day its released. I'm not seeing you again for another 1-2 days, so please understand.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Buying this on both Wii U and 3DS. That's when you know a game is good, when you buy that sucker on two platforms!

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

Finally! I've been waiting for this Armillo, teslagrad and tengami! Gotta take advantage of the Digital deluxe promotion before its gone forever :'(