Video: Witness The Intolerable Cruelty Of Mario Kart 8

Posted by Damien McFerran

All thanks to Mario Kart TV's awesome slow-mo feature

Mario Kart TV is one of the biggest additions to Mario Kart 8, and will allow players to save, edit and share their finest on-track moments. It's also great for messing about with and creating daft little videos, such as the one we present to you below.

The game's slow-mo feature makes even the most standard of shell takedowns look painfully tragic, and when set to the right music (we've opted for Samuel Barber's epically melancholic Adagio for Strings here, best known for its application in the Oliver Stone anti-war movie Platoon) it can be surprisingly effective.

Are you looking forward to viewing highlights of your best races, and mulling over the performances of your friends via Mario Kart TV? Let us know with a comment.

Kiz3000

Kiz3000 said:

Was this one video made using the MKTV service or is it multiple MKTV videos stitched together using a different programme?

Horrifying video nonetheless

outburst

outburst said:

It's beautiful! Can you play it on reverse too and edit/share the video according to how you want it played?

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

At 0:48 you can see the Koopaling's life flash before his very eyes.

That was video was too funny!

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@Damo So it isn't PUBLISHED using MKTV? Because that quality is NOT good enough for a direct video publishing service! (it's fine for this video off course ;} )

PJR0cks

PJR0cks said:

yeah it would be harsh hitting the cute babies, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I wish they used somebody other than YouTube. (They are constantly trying deception to get me to join Google plus.) Even better if they used somewhere it could actually work properly.

(At least with an mp4 you can check a 60fps game video looks right.)

They could have just saved the file to the sdcard.

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

Poor Lakitu. All those years on the sidelines playing the ref and his first shining moments is getting nailed.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

The lightning part looked incredible. It's a wonder the spiny shell wasn't used.

Rafie

Rafie said:

I can't wait to troll folks on here with my vids. LOL Playing the sad music while people are succumbing to banana slips on the edge of cliff falling to their doom. Or that blasted blue shell right before the finish line. Oh the horror! LOL

eLarkos

eLarkos said:

Can I be a little negative and say that it was quite boring? The same front flip animation everytime someone gets hit. I was expecting more variation in facial expressions and crashes. The main reason it looks great is because of the lighting effects, nothing else is really impressive. Still, doesnt change my hype for the game one bit.

Blue_Rover

Blue_Rover said:

I still can't listen to that music without being reminded of Sgt Elias running out of the woods in Platoon... Great vid put together. Really looking forward to the possibilities with the video sharing.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I can't believe Nintendo went to the trouble of having the shells shatter on impact into little pieces. Has that ever happened in a kart game before?

Too much slo-mo and slow music for me, I'ld much rather have Rory narrate a race, or at least a pre-race once-over.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Baby Peach will be the stuff of my nightmares for days to come. But she's so incredibly cute!
And in the end, she gets some revenge served. All is well that ends well, I guess.

Edgarska

Edgarska said:

Hans Zimmer's Time, from Inception, syncs almost perfectly with the video too.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@firebird3334 I would be interested in a Sega made Mario Kart that played similar to All Stars Racing Transformed.

(The best F-Zero is Sega made). Or a Namco made one. (Or the Arcade GP games).

Maybe I will love Mario Kart 8 but I think I won't.

marko

marko said:

how much editing can you do with MKTV?> can you guys show a video of how it works..?

Squid

Squid said:

Suddenly I have flashbacks of James at that Mario Kart tournament... That was a dark day, my friends.

MarioFan1985

MarioFan1985 said:

@rjejr This is just the Mario Kart TV feature where you can see the race again in slow motion. The actual game is going to be quite fast and has a lot of other features. I'm hoping that you can play as the Miis.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

What's the editing like anyways? Like, how much freedom do you have with the camera and stuff?

HopeNForever

HopeNForever said:

I can see how there is real potential to exploit the features of Mario Kart TV. I sure hope Nintendo does keep up this sort of shenanigans - it's what they do best!

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

This video made me check the item list, and no giant shroom :( That was always my favorite way to mow people down. At least we still have bob-ombs!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@rjejr

So in Mario Kart TV in the replay, it plays at normal speed but you have the power to slow it down and rewind (perhaps even fast forward?). It's pretty awesome when you see it in normal speed and the moment you get hit put it into slow mo... very dramatic haha

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@rjejr

Hey, Nintendo World Store announced an exclusive limited edition boxed version of MK8 that comes with the blue shell Europe got. Pre orders started today already. Do you live within distance of Nintendo World Store and want your own limited edition and cash on the side? I'd be willing to pay you to pre order me one and ship it to me. Just name your price. I'm being for real here.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

@Damo How much freedom do you get with the camera? Like...am I able to make a trailer-quality replay of the race or something? x3

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

@JaxonH @Urbanhispanic
Ditto i just preordered mine at the store…and ended up buying nintendo stuff i dont need…but the posters, the shirts, and those damn plushes…damn u for tricking me Nintendo!!! Oh and thanks for selling awesome stuff too!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@WanderingPB

Nice. I'm working something out with a fellow member at another fan site I frequent now. It's costing me a fair chunk of change, but considering this is exclusive to Nintendo World Store, the collector's value is through the roof. I bet these don't even hit eBay they're gonna be so limited in quantity.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Mizore

From what I've gathered, you don't control the camera per se, but you do dictate what actions should be covered for the replay. So, you can tell the game to cover big hits with items and Character A, or all hits with items on everyone, or cover the whole race of Character B, or whatever...

See this video, particularly when the "edit" menu is accessed at 1:36

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

@JaxonH
The regular price for the limited edition at the store is $79.99…it's scary to even think about what the ebay prices are going to be…though the steelbook edition that Germany is getting sounds tempting

Esiwlwo

Esiwlwo said:

Great video, I've never been this excited for MK. The game is looking gorgeous.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@WanderingPB

Well, I feel better about the amount I offered to have someone pick up the LE for me now. I said I'd pay $200 (cost of game and shipping taken out of that, of course). At $80 + tax + shipping, I'm basically paying double. But that's fair considering how hard this is to get for anyone who doesn't live in NYC, and how rare it's going to be. I'm sure $200 will be considered a STEAL for any of these that turn up on eBay. NWS exclusive by pre order means $500 price tag. EXTREMELY high demand with EXTREMELY short supply dictates an EXTREMELY large price tag...

That steelbook is also nice. I want to import, but considering the cash I'm dropping on the LE, I'm not sure I wanna drop ANOTHER hundred bucks for a steelcase edition. We'll see I suppose.

Gameday

Gameday said:

man i got ideas already for some epic videos. this is gonna be a great release ~

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

Anyone else notice we haven't been shown one battle arena? All battles have been on normal tracks so far....

Alucard83

Alucard83 said:

That was one very very boring movie to watch! I got so bored.... hopefully not gameplay wise!

Lord

Lord said:

Can you add music tracks to the videos you upload? Surly not?