Mario Kart 8 Free Wii U Game Promotion Extended to Scandinavian Countries

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A pin code and web page will be distributed

For those picking up Mario Kart 8 when it launches at the end of May, a welcome bonus is that registering the game by 31st July will entitle those gamers to a free Wii U retail title. You can see all of the details right here.

This is tied to Club Nintendo, which has unfortunately ruled it out in countries not supported by the loyalty programme. In great news for Scandinavian gamers — living in Denmark, Norway, Sweden or Finland — Nintendo of Europe has now arranged an alternative approach so that a free game can still be claimed. Whether buying the title at physical retail, as part of the hardware bundle or on the Wii U eShop, gamers in the region will receive a pin code (with the Club Nintendo branding) — on a printed slip or on the eShop when buying the download — which can then be submitted to a special website; the web address will be released in the near future. Registering that pin will have the same effect as the Club Nintendo equivalent in other regions, giving those in these countries the choice of one of the following 10 games.

While the continuing absence of Club Nintendo in some countries is an ongoing disappointment, on this occasion Nintendo of Europe and distributor Bergsala have, at least, arranged an alternative. If you're in the region and want to know more, you can head to the Danish page, the Swedish page, Norwegian page, or the Finnish page.

Thanks to Kenneth Jensen for the tip.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

All aboard the Mario Kart 8 hype train! Im so eager to see how well the system sells onced the game is released.

jenkje

jenkje said:

Pikmin 3 is going to be downloaded in Norway after MK8 has arrived... Thanks Nintendo(life)...

KJ85

KJ85 said:

Thanks for spreading the news Thomas!

Also Danes wanting to read and discuss Nintendo news in their native language from time to time should visit n-club.dk :)

PKNoUsernameHere

PKNoUsernameHere said:

Wish NA got the 10 games promotion, so that I could get MK8 and TW101... :( Oh well, at least we get WWHD. Still a bit unfair though since Europe is getting a lot of these promotions lately...

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Good on you Nintendo!!! I'm in the UK so I'm fine but I can't enjoy freebies as much if I know others who deserve it are missing out. Hope this made some people's day!! =)
I still need to decide whether to get party u and buy a new wiimote I need or sell a physical game and download it again.....still tempted to revisit wwhd but must stay strong.

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

I'm in cyprus but that doesn't bother me, i have a UK account and when i buy things from club nintendo i just send my stuff to my uncle :P
So i can still get a free code with this game because my NNID is a uk one ^^

rixard

rixard said:

Being a swede, this is great news. I was a bit upset when I thought I wouldn't get any game at all. I also feel sorry for the people in the US with less games to pick from. Anyway, good news!

Warbeard

Warbeard said:

Awesome news, I hope this Scandinavian support will continue!

Not so awesome: I already have all the games I want from there :D

vinicity

vinicity said:

Great news! Bergsala actually delivers after years of disappointments...
Nintendo needs a new distribution company in Scandinavia. Someone that makes the effort, and at the very least gets a proper Club Nintendo running. Maybe even gets some advertising done? There should be Mario Kart advertisements all over the place by now to build the hype, but instead there is nothing.

Smooching

Smooching said:

Ah yes, scandinavian countries...
Hmmm, the scent of IKEA furniture in the morning.... :P

Aside from that, I think it's very decent of Nintendo to consider those areas as well. :)

jariw

jariw said:

Given the route Bergsala has been taking regarding Nintendo's product line (such as closing Club Nintendo in Scandinavia), this is a major achievement! The extra game will not be downloadable until August, at least for Sweden - but that doesn't matter that much to me, since I have almost all of those games already.

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

I know I shouldn't be complaining, since it's better than nothing, but I'm still jealous that we in NA only get to choose from four games, half of which I already have. Oh, well, at least I get Pikmin 3!

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Now this i like! Thank you Nintendo ;) Now i just have to decide between Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3... Decisions, decisions... :D

Sunnymj

Sunnymj said:

Yay! I am definitely going to buy a Wii U+Mario Kart 8 this summer(probably Zelda or Mario Bros U as free game):D

BF-Medic

BF-Medic said:

Wow. Didn't see that coming. Wind Waker HD will be my choice then.
Nicely done Nintendo!

amphibian

amphibian said:

This is fantastic news for us usually forgotten Nordic gamers, I'll be getting Pikmin 3! :)

withoutdk

withoutdk said:

great news.... but i already have those that i want..

can anyone say if sonic lost world is any good? or pikmin ?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@PSI_King

The game is super cheap nowadays, so you can always, you know, buy it.

Good for Scandinavian fans. Now they need to do something similar for Latin America, and any other world zones without CN.

MegaManEP3

MegaManEP3 said:

I would definitely pick up Sonic if I didn’t live in NA, lol. I guess I'll have to get Wii Party U since I have the other three. Oh well, free games are better than no games!

withoutdk

withoutdk said:

@KJ85

sure is :) i love sonic from the old sega and stuff.. even got the collection for the wii and pc.. but... i fear the new one is a little bit too "fuzzy" - like getting seasick and stuff.

are you from Denmark also ?

KJ85

KJ85 said:

@withoutdk

Yep - and I take it you dont know n-club.dk then? It's a Danish Nintendo community, where everyone can contribute with news. You should definitely check it out and spread the word :)

PJR0cks

PJR0cks said:

yea I'm having a though time deciding between Zelda and Pikmin 3, both are apparently great games, I haven't played Zelda for years, so I'm thinking maybe it's best to go with Pikmin, not sure.

rmeyer

rmeyer said:

@blodermoder it's a miamoto masterpiece. The first fully realized Pikmin. If you have kids my nephews are nice are obsessed with it even a year later and play it everyday.

ClockworkMario

ClockworkMario said:

What's this? Is Nintendo acknowledging the existence of Fenno-Scandia!? This is unprecedented!

But that's seriously great, it actually finally convinced me to pre-order. I'll probably snatch Game & Wario, as I already own Pikmin, NLand, NSMBU and Wind Waker.

koelboel

koelboel said:

I'd like to think I would've gotten it through my european clubnintendo-login anyway but We-hey! MK8-SM anyone?

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

No clue for me since I have all 4 games from my NA list, and not sure what to get...

themac2001

themac2001 said:

Ok, I need your guys opinions. Which game should I get? I already have New Super Luigi U, and i don't want to get Monster Hunter as I am getting 4, and don't want Zelda (also getting later). I probably won't get Wii Party U. So which should I get?

anders190

anders190 said:

As a Swede, this made me more interesting in getting MK8 earlier. Not sure what game I would choose, I already got all of those that interest me but a digital copy of New Super Mario Bros U wouldn't hurt. :)

This was really well done by all involved. I'm also hoping for a return of Club Nintendo. If not for each country, perhaps a Club Nintendo Scandinavia instead?

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Damn it!!!!! Already bought all the ones that I want. It's between sonic Olympics and monster hunter 3. Any opinions?

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

This is a mad deal everyone that has not got a wii u this is the perfect time ohh my gosh a free game worth £40.
It's got to be monster hunter for me.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I just don't know what free game to get. MK8 was enough as it is!

2014 might be one of my favourite years of gaming so far.

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

This does make me curious enough to get MK8 - but it also means I will have to buy an external HDD for it.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

@epicdude12302 Scandinavia never gets anything, calm down! In fact this is one of the only times i remember a major company even acknowledging that Nordic gamers exist lol.

Jetson

Jetson said:

0_0 Lucky, I wish we could pick out of 10 games in NA, correct me if I'm wrong, but we can only pick out of 4 games in the U.S. and out of the ones available the only one I don't have is Wii Party U, which I don't even know if its worth taking the time to download :(

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Well, I probably won't be able to receive a free game on my Wii U as I would most likely need an external storage device to do so, which I doubt I can get by the end of July due to a trip which has popped up. Oh, and I can't get MK8 by the end of July for the same reason. :(

ToniK

ToniK said:

I hope this means they will notice us here in the north more often. I wouldn't mind a full-blown Club Nintendo. I need that useless junk :D

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

From what I understood it is only a half victory since the codes will be distributed in late-August. i.e. NOE are going to get all the codes in a single batch and generate the codes then which means waiting until the closing date of July.

@jariw From what I understand Nintendo made the call to Shut down Club Nintendo. NOE is unwilling to fund any sort of rewards scheme outside of countries it runs in including giving money or inventory to those distributors. Technically Bergsala is actually older than (their first dealings with Nintendo were importing Game & Watches directly from the Japanese side of the company) NOE too.

GMsupr

GMsupr said:

This is great news! So what game should I get?
I have played mh3 on wii and I have nsmbu and G&W.
Going to buy wii party u sometime so it's down to these two.

Pikmin 3
or
W101?

KJ85

KJ85 said:

@Starwolf_UK

The terms and conditions only tell that the download codes will be distributed no later than the 31st of August. Nowhere does it tell that you won't get it sooner.

james_squared

james_squared said:

That's great that the promotion is now in Scandinavia. Too bad the deal still is worthless to me here in Canada.

Extremist

Extremist said:

Nintendo here in Scandinavia sucks... According to the official Nintendo site, the lack of Club Nintendo is a Nintendo-decision, not a choice of Bergsala. Great news, though!

Got 7 of them already, have been on the verge of getting Wonderful 101 several times, guess I'll get it now. Yay!

themac2001

themac2001 said:

@jariw Thanks for the advice. Gonna get Pikmin 3, my friends said it is better than the other games i didn't want. I've seen the gameplay, and i certainly floats me boat.

CriticalError13

CriticalError13 said:

Looks interesting, I may end up getting a Wii U if sales are up. I've learned to wait until sales are good to get a system since I bought a DSi XL right before the 3DS was announced XD

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

I totally missed this article and only found out about this today. This is great news, finally something good coming out from Bergsala Oy Ab. I will definitely be using this offer.

Though I have to wonder that if the real Club Nintendo ever comes to Nordic countries (Scandinavia is not all the Nordic countries, Finland is not part of Scandinavia so that's a factual error in this article ;-) ), are we losing now this Mario Kart 8's Club Nintendo code since we are registering it by another way or can it still be used later if some day Nordic countries finally would get the proper Club Nintendo?

It may be so that NOE is a lot to blame for things like not having the Club Nintendo here, but also Bergsala shares A LOT of the blame since they do zero advertising, Mario Kart 8 is only a few days from release and I've seen no paper ads, tv ads, shop ads... like nothing and I'm absolutely sure that K group in Finland will not stock MK8 or the MK8 Wii U Premium pack in their supermarkets at all so visibility will be small. Most likely the other big one S group will have the game and the box in their shops. So that leaves only specialist shops like Pelimies and Gamestop and there's just a few of those in the whole country.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

@jariw Did the Nordic countries ever actually have a proper Club Nintendo? At least Finland has never had it as far as I remember?