German Ratings Board Leaks Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition for Wii U and 3DS

Posted by Jake Shapiro

An out of this world announcement!

The wonderfully-named Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle, Germany's software ratings board, has leaked ratings for Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition, a re-release of French designer Éric Chahi's iconic 1991 action-platforming title ("23rd Anniversary Edition" doesn't have quite the same ring to it). Originally re-released on mobile devices in 2011 and ported to Steam last year, it appears Another World is now headed to Wii U, 3DS, PlayStation 4, PS Vita, PS3, and Xbox One. As of this writing, the listings have been removed from the USK website, but you can check out the screencap on NeoGAF.

When asked by Eurogamer about the leaked ratings, publisher The Digital Lounge responded, "We do not comment on rumours. Especially since everybody is now fully aware!" This wink-and-nod essentially seems to be a confirmation.

Another World, released in North America as Out of This World, is widely considered one of the first-ever "art games," with cinematic cutscenes, a paper-craft art style, and a lonely, ambiguous storyline. It was originally developed for the Amiga before being ported to every system imaginable, including the SNES in 1992. Will you be picking this one up?

[via eurogamer.net, neogaf.com]

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

I remember beating this visually unique, cinematic, and heavily atmospheric action adventure on SNES. One of the few games with polygons that didn't use the Super FX Chip. Is the sequel (I never played) included in this anniversary edition?
Btw, what happened to the Flashback remake?

timp29

timp29 said:

I never played this, just flashback on the 3DO. I thought flashback was amazing and played it through many times.

I would definitely grab a copy of this!

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Best Wii U news I've heard in, probably, more than a year. I remember my brother and I struggling with this game (and enjoying it) for a long time back in the early 90's. I'll definitely pick it up.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

ive never played this but it looks awesome. would be really cool in 3d. but i doubt it will be. but i will still get it anyway.

MAB

MAB said:

Amiga 500 days revisited to the max... I will be awesomed again ;)

santaglause

santaglause said:

i bought this from a car boot sale just after it came out, blew me away, hard as nails to!

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I JUST bought it for my iPad! AGRGH

not that I mind cause EVERYBODY needs to play this masterpiece. in its original glory (don't turn on newer graphics)

If you want to know why this game is so amazing: watch GameGrumps play the game.

andrea987

andrea987 said:

Wow, so many memories... I'll defo buy this, probably on Wii U.
They need to do a Project Firestart (C64) HD remake, too. That was great.

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

I loved Another World the first time round, and enjoyed the Anniversary Edition on iPad even more. So... I'm more than happy to double-dip by grabbing it for my trusty-twosome (Wii U and Vita) as well. Hang on, or is that triple-dipping? No, no, quadruple-dip is just being silly ;-)

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Excellent. It's a timeless and brutally challenging classic.

Have bought this game quite a few times during the years, it's one game that I can almost play through with my eyes closed. It's that memorable.

I first bought the anniversary remaster about 10 years ago when Chahi first released it on PC, then I bought the 15th Anniversary dvd disc release for PC, and lastly I bought it again for Android later when the 20th Anniversary arrived.

It's great that this one is soon on pretty much every possible platform.

I also have the unofficial port for Gameboy Advance about Another World. That one is great too.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I never really enjoyed actually PLAYING this that much to be honest, kinda clunky, unfair and frustrating as I recall, but it always had quite a charming look and style to it.

Marshi

Marshi said:

Please let this be true! To all those who are wondering what all the fuss is about, Another world was like a 90's version of The Last of us. An emotionally charged story driven adventure featuring 2 beings having to work together to survive. It was the first game to bring a tear to my eye. Infact if you dont cry at the end you're not human!

fluggy

fluggy said:

Great game. Not for everyone and young gamers today probably wont "get it" without nostalgia tinted specs! Very trial and error and lasts about 25 mins from start to finish.

Mus1cLov3r

Mus1cLov3r said:

@fluggy I'm a young gamer, and I'm very excited for it! I've seen it on the iOs app store and it looked interesting, but I'd rather buy it on a REAL game system. >:) Can't wait.

Chomposaur

Chomposaur said:

I already have a copy of this game on the PC which i bought years ago. So there's no need for me to buy it again.

Like @Varoennauraa said i would double dip if they released heart of the alien along with it (Even though its not cannon to the story)

Pod

Pod said:

Holy heck yes.

I never managed to finished this game when I originally played it on PC all those years back, but it still mesmerized me. I'm picking it back up when it comes out for Wii U.

ACK

ACK said:

Since we never got Another World on the VC, I'm thrilled about this. Hopefully it's a smoother experience.

@SKTTR The Flashback remake dropped a while back and is reportedly terrible.

64supermario

64supermario said:

Never tried it, but I remember hearing a lot of great things about it. Would love to give it a try on my Wii U.

james_squared

james_squared said:

It's a great game. I played it on the Amiga years and years ago and I picked it up recently for my Mac. Good fun!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Got this game on Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Super NES, Amiga, 3DO, and GBA. If this is a remake I'll definitely download it either for Wii U and/or 3DS.

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

I watched the Grumps play it, and I don't really get it. They seemed to enjoy it, but I didn't get the appeal. Then again, I never really understood the first Prince of Persia either.

Bakajin

Bakajin said:

I still have my Out of This World cartridge and my SNES still works (barely), so I have no excuse for never having beaten this, but maybe getting this again will be the impetus I need to finally see the credits.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I am not bothered about this. (The Android version I have is perfect already and supports physical controls including the Zeemote which is only supported by two games I have).

Dotemu have loads of stuff I would like though that they could port.
(Arcade Double Dragon Trilogy / Any of the Irem Arcade stuff / Any Metal Slug / Golvellius / Blazing Star).

khululy

khululy said:

@Falco You are right, this game does look better in it's original form without that weird pink shade over everything. Felt like Deus EX: Pony revolution.

but seriously it's a great game and people should really appreciate the work that went into it. Gamers these days take so many things for granted...

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

Ah... and I already got both the Amiga and 15th anniversary PC edition...
As for the game itself: actually, there's nothing wrong with it whatsoever, besides being hard as nails. People should indeed see games from a certain era for what they are. Even without rose tinted glasses, this is still a good game and it having graphics that some of you do not find "passable" anymore, takes nothing away from that. It's moody, atmospheric, has great music and a good story, something that MANY current day games sorely miss. I do think the OP could have pasted a trailer underneath for those that are curious.
So here then:
trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZifBl9ZZUQ
gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_0H3JO-fw

Bizzyb

Bizzyb said:

@SKTTR The Flashback remake was released on the PSN store and XBLA some time in 2014. I've been hoping they would announce a Wii U release but that's looking less and less likely. I'm going to email them and find out if it's a future possibility.

Henmii

Henmii said:

This game is quite legendary and I did want to play it for quite some time. Now I finally get the chance (if the price is right).

Hopefully they won't update the graphics to much. I mean, no polygons (2.5 D) please! Unless they can make it look very sweet!

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

@MAB The old Amiga ahhh rose tinted glasses
I loved mine even had the upgraded processor memory fitted great for xcom as made turns alot quicker. (was great till it whent bang in style).

This game looked great but gameplay wise mmmm wasnt so keen on it.

PleaseUnderstan

PleaseUnderstan said:

People who cried over Aeris in FF7 would really be in sad shape if they saw what happens in Heart of the Alien.

Steviis_Father

Steviis_Father said:

Depends on the price point. I've downloaded the trial version on the OUYA (USD $4.99 for the full game) & it looks incredible, outputting at true 1080p thru HDMI, with a very easy control scheme on the controller. One especially nifty feature is a dedicated button JUST to toggle between high & low resolutions. It's incredibly fast, & smooth to play, unlike the 90s ports. I love nostalgia & I grew up with the SNES version, but at the end of the day, play a properly presented one; Another World is too good a game for it's story to suffer through slowdown & loading screens.

Anyone here know if the WiiU version :
1. Has the Resolution toggle via button press in-game?
2. Has Gamepad support for extra features besides Off-TV Mode?
3. Has any major differences (content-wise, control-wise) from the other platforms?
4. Will cost more than USD $5?