Feature: Kickstarter's Wii U and 3DS Campaigns - 20th April

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Cancellations and close calls

In recent weeks we've produced Kickstarter summaries to show how campaigns are progressing, and this entry includes successes, cancellations and some close calls. Considering the fact that some exciting games have arrived and are on the way from successfully crowdfunded campaigns in the past, it's certainly worth keeping track of the comings and goings.

As always the focus is on current campaigns or those that have been completed in the past seven days, so those that have dropped off the list do so as they are now finished.

With further preamble, let's get to it.

Funded Project

APEXICON - Fantasy Puzzle Combat — Wii U included in core target [approx $5100 of $5,000 target reached, 3 days to go]

This was the second attempt of developer Actos Games to get this project funded, having closed the initial attempt late last year. The campaign returned with an updated alpha build free to try on PC, a lower target and with the Wii U eShop included in the core goal. Now funded, this will attempt to blend wordplay with RPG elements, with touch controls on the GamePad seeming like an ideal option. A recent promotion gives an extra copy and future games in the "mini-collector" tier, while the developer is discussing publication opportunities with DoubleFine.

Chances of Wii U release — Confirmed.

Project Updates

Cult County — Wii U and 3DS included in core target [approx $41,300 of $580,000 target reached, 11 days to go]

The project initially confirmed for the 3DS was moved to Unity-supported systems, which means Wii U, PC, PS3, PS Vita, PS4 and Xbox One. Following some fan pressure, however, the 3DS has now been added as part of the core goal along with the other platforms. As before when announced in 2013, this will be an episodic survival-horror FPS, with Renegade Kid aiming to use its experience from Dementium: The Ward and Dementium II on the DS.

Chances of Wii U / 3DS release — Very unlikely based on current momentum.

Hex Heroes — Wii U included in core target [approx $55,000 of $80,000 target reached, 3 days to go]

This is a "Party RTS" (real time strategy) with some serious pedigree, being led by artist and co-developer of popular PC title The Bridge, Mario Castañeda, with music from the much-loved Grant Kirkhope. Initially planned as a Wii U exclusive due to its core idea of local multiplayer for up to five players, with the GamePad player leading four others on the TV, it's since added a PC version to broaden the potential audience. Has added additional cameos from popular YouTube channel Game Grumps, along with varied game characters.

Chances of Wii U release — Momentum has enjoyed a boost over the last week, but this'll need a strong final few days to hit its target.

Twisted Fusion — Wii U exclusive [approx £2,470 of £3,000 target reached, 10 days to go]

This début Nintendo game from Lewis Pugh, who's previously released a number of smartphone games, will utilise the Nintendo Web Framework on the home console. Described as an "open platformer", the gameplay in the pitch video brings to mind Renegade Kid's Mutant Mudds, while there'll also be an adjustable difficulty scale on the Wii U GamePad screen.

Chances of Wii U release — It's still looking positive, with consistent momentum suggesting it'll hit its modest target.

Flying Hamster II — Wii U and 3DS as unspecified stretch goals [approx $31,750 of $150,000 target reached, 13 days to go]

The original Flying Hamster was released on PSP, Vita and iOS, but this sequel aims to expand the original idea with a large "hub-based open world", with action platformer gameplay and rather cute visuals. This will apparently be a 2D adventure RPG in practice, with particular inspiration from Wonder Boy / Monster World.

Chances of Wii U / 3DS release — Based on current momentum, very slim. Neither Nintendo system has a firm goal yet, and the campaign is struggling to gain momentum towards its core goal.

Nintendo Underdogs Reorchestrated (NUREO) — Approx $3,250 of $6,000 target reached, 7 days to go

This is a fan-driven project — headed up by Colin McIsaac — that aims to produce an album of 20 tracks for "underappreciated" Nintendo themes. Examples cited are WarioWare's "Ashley's Theme," Super Mario RPG's "Beware the Forest Mushrooms," and Mario Kart's "Rainbow Road"; stretch goals include live instrument soloists and guest arrangements.

Odds of success — Momentum has improved, but this will be a close call.

Cosmochoria — Wii U included as $25,000 stretch goal [approx $17,475 of $10,000 target reached, 10 days to go]

This title is already funded for its main release on PC, so is already successful. It looks like a colourful, charming take on Asteroids style gameplay as you explore and plant seeds on planetoids when fighting off aliens. It's Wii U stretch goal has been drastically reduced from $150,000 to $25,000.

Chances of Wii U release — Reasonable odds right now, though extra momentum is needed; this one has a chance.

Tom Sparks and the Quakes of Ruin — Wii U included as $210,000 stretch goal [approx $2,400 of $50,000 target reached, 18 days to go]

Described as a "3D diesel-punk action-adventure game full of crazy weapons", it takes an isometric top-down viewpoint and promises an action adventure of exploring, upgrading weapons and challenging enemy fights.

Chances of Wii U release — It looks almost impossible. Despite looking like a rather slick title in the pitch video below, this campaign has stalled; $210,000 is a huge number with such poor momentum.

Cancelled Project

JetGetters — Cancelled

This title from tinyBuild certainly stood out as a game that simply aims to provide ludicrous fun. A dogfighting aerial combat game, it encourages players to leap from their plane and skydive; they can either land on a team-mates' plane and shoot with their handgun or land on an enemy plane to hijack it. Its description of "Just Cause 2 meets Battlefield 4" seems apt. Despite the buzz around the game and having reached its original goal, the studio pulled the campaign due to discussions with investors and a delay in release to 2015. Apparently backers will not only get their money back but will also still get a free copy of the game when released — a bizarre turn of events.

Chances of Wii U release — Unclear, the Wii U goal wasn't reached and the campaign has been closed.

So those are some crowdfunding efforts currently doing the rounds on Kickstarter. Let us know which ones interest you, and likewise point us to any we've missed in the comments below.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Hm, doesn't look too bright on some projects.

But with the current flood of crowdfunding projects, it's becoming increasingly difficult for projects to stand out. I guess that's one major reason for some promising projects failing - that, and some of those have rather unreasonable core and stretch goals.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Kaze_Memaryu

Right. If they want crowd funding, they're gonna have to fight for it. Consumers only have so many crowd funding dollars to go around. I backed Mighty No 9, Shantae Half Genie Hero and Earthlock Festival of Magic. All three were successfully funded. Had I known about them at the time, I would have also gladly funded Shovel Knight and Hyper Light Drifter as well.

The current batch is kind of spent, imo. Feel bad for Renegade Kid, but Cult County just doesn't stand out or look that good imo. Just another mediocre, dime-a-dozen first person experience. He's gonna have to do better than that if he expects half a million dollars of consumer investment.

ekreig

ekreig said:

I really appreciate you rounding these up. I'm interested in these projects, but I find the interface of the KS website makes it really difficult to find games for the platforms I want.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Poor Cult County....hope that Renegade Kid had enough assets put into the early build of the 3DS game to release it, at the very least, on the 3DS eShop. Also thanks you guys for putting these together, nice to see what's to come in the near future!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Never thought it would be so hard for Apexicon to hit its target, as it was quite low.

I supported Hex Heroes, but I don't think it is gonna make it. Twisted Fusion has a better chance.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

The word game RPG sounds interesting... I look forward to playing it in, what, 2016? These kickstarter games take FOREVER to finish.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

@XCWarrior

Yes, and 2/3 of the way into development most of the ones I backed decided it would be financially better to split the game in half, and start selling the first half to non-backers before the backers had played it, even though some of them had 1.5 times the funding they needed.

I really am hesitant to use kickstarter anymore. I've only had 1 positive experience with it so far, and that game required the least funding out of the 3.

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

I can't back anything cause I have no debit/credit card.
I would back the Nintendo Music, doe.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@ledreppe I can't even trust "AAA" developers anymore when it comes to preordering games. Not after the Alien Colonial Marines fiascho. I think the only game I've preordered in the last 3 years was MHTU, and thats' only because it was released in Japan and we already knew it was good.

No games are sold out at stores anymore. There is no reason to preorder.

JustinH

JustinH said:

If you guys are unsure about Cosmochoria, check out the pre-alpha build on the website. It's playable in the browser and pretty fun. Just a proof of concept, but pretty polished.

Hex Heroes is almost there, so yay. Jet Getters is a really fishy situation. They cleared their goal with this mystery $9,000 pledge in the middle of the night one day, and then they canned the thing shortly after.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

great out of all of them only one has been confirmed for the wiiu. I really hope hex heroes and cult country will be confirmed if they get momentum.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

Flying Hamster II looks great, and music by Michiru Yamane? Definitely my favorite out of all of these. Cult County also looks good too, though.

MAB

MAB said:

Nintendo should be backing alot of these with their own cash and make them exclusives... They need to start digging into that warchest everyone keeps bangin' on about because they're running out of options fast ;)

Monsti

Monsti said:

First time i hear about Cosmochoria. It looks really nice. Too bad Cult County won't make it. :(

Daz-brum

Daz-brum said:

I love tower defence games with the WiiU controller it is iteal formate but i havent seen any for the system does anyone know of any ?

GougeMan

GougeMan said:

Would rather wait for the fewer extremely high quality games directly made by Nintendo exclusively....Don't really see a future in these releases, but maybe I'm wrong.

kingc8

kingc8 said:

@ogo79

Yeah, they all look like 25% done games too. -To be fair, these are somewhat pitches, so they probably are 25% done.

You know, folk knock the AAA for being unambitious and derivative, but I've never seen such a consistent desire for developers to almost exactly re-make old games, like indie devs do.

For Nintendo on with Wii U, it's indie devs or nothing, because big third-parties are going-concern business's that actually want to make money. If Wii U was pulling in big third parties, there would be no way Nintendo would allow any of this junk anywhere near their systems. (See Nintendo Japan for Indie developer policy).

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Duelyst has my attention, and on the kickstarter it lists "other consoles" as a stretch goal, so maybe that'll hit Wii U.. It looks fantastic!

Ryno

Ryno said:

@MAB: No Nintendo shouldn't spend a dime on any of these games. as @ogo79 said, all these games look like a hot mess. They would be right up Sega's alley though. ;)

wrackune

wrackune said:

@Ryno, ogo79, GougeMan,Kaze_Memaryu, markybbop:

If I may, what exactly do you find uninteresting or lackluster about Hex Heroes?

• Mario (Prismatic Games, Hex Heroes)
Stratostar

Stratostar said:

@Daz-brum I'm a fan of tower defense games as well. There is one on the Wii U eShop called CastleStorm. You should check it out, it's a lot of fun.

Klinny

Klinny said:

I played the Cosmochoria demo last night and absolutely loved it :) I really hope it makes it to the Wii U stretch goal, which I'm happy to see has been lowered to a more reasonable amount.

APEXICON looks like something I would enjoy, (very Puzzle Quest-esque) but I'm donating to a few other projects already, and since APEXICON has reached its goal I may wait until it is officially released.

I've also backed Twisted Fusion and Hex Heroes, (as well as Pixel Noir, though it isn't coming to Nintendo platforms). Hoping they reach their funding goals as well :)

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

@wrackune don't mind those guys... just a cult of personality if you ask me!

Hex Heroes looks to be one of the more stalwart offerings, comparatively.

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

@wrackune

Fair enough, I've edited my comment slightly. ^.^
...Just wanted to add, the $20 tier looks pretty good so I'll definitely think about contributing.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Go Cosmochoria! I watched you first on basically every YOGSCAST channel, which appears to be the only famous Youtubers that did content on the game. I am buying Cosmochoria just because of what I have seen from the YOGSCAST, and this is coming a lot from a person who almost never buys a game that is not published by Nintendo, SEGA, Capcom, or has a 9 or 10 rating.

Windy

Windy said:

@unrandomsam Right! Wouldn't you think with a large user base like 3DS would be a big Kick starter draw but Devs are thinking in reverse and looking to make games on Wii-U it makes perfect sense......NOT

MAB

MAB said:

Because the Wii U has more grunt under the hood while the 3DS is comparative to a Leap Frog device ;)

mastermp2

mastermp2 said:

I really love this feature

I might try to fund twisted fusion and maybe one other title (not sure which one)